• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: “Donors are furious” over the Republican's inability to repeal Obamacare

Haven't their tax reform ideas been predicated on rolling back Obamacare in order to pay for tax cuts?

My guess is they don't really care how it's paid for. These aren't idealists like the Tea Party, they are the 1% trying to keep as much as their money as possible.

If health care reform is a means to an end, so be it.

watershed

Banned
If this Healthcare bill fails, and I think it will, congressional republicans will turn to the next hot button issue they can attempt to jam through garbage legislation on. Taxes look like it's going sideways. What else can republicans attempt to jam through? Something blatantly racist?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Makes sense. I just can't see someone wasting money on a primary candidate against someone who voted yes and I can't see most of the "no" voters giving a shit.

I mean Murkowski already lost a GOP primary and still won a write-in campaign against her own party. I doubt she is scared.

McCain ain't gonna run.

So what is the threat? Trying to knock out Rand Paul or Collins? Don't see that working.

Try punishing people like Cornyn who are basically soldiers?

I dunno. Sounds like a dumb use of money that just ends up seeing more disloyalty.

True, when you already have a pile of stooges ready to bat for you, why even make a swap?

But its also about effectiveness. If their investment has no return, well maybe its time to try something new instead of keep hoping that candy bar drops out of the machine if you keep feeding it bills.

Also, I hate that I am even giving thought to whatever strategy these traitorous scum may or may not be planning.

Sean C

Haven't their tax reform ideas been predicated on rolling back Obamacare in order to pay for tax cuts?
The grandiose idea of permanent tax reform was based on that.

Most likely they’re just going to pass a huge unfunded tax cut that will sunset in ten years.

Nutter

These donor's are rich enough to contribute to the Republican Party yet they can't stand to have an act that helps million of others.

gaugebozo

You would've thought people in charge of running the fucking country would have realized in 2009 that what they were selling was bullshit and they'd have to try a bait and switch. Instead, they tried to deliver an everlasting gobstopper. Everyone's insured! Lower premiums! Better care!

Instead they tried to force a square peg through a 24% approval hole and they got rekt. Well, don't come crying to me when your base you've been feeding "communist death panel" bones for years comes for your asses.

giphy.gif

jstripes

Banned
Republicans care more about the billionaires who give them money than the working class people they pretend to care about. Big surprise.

How a country is destroyed.

Good luck. Most major corporations that provide the majority of items you consume just to exist make donations to both parties.
They make more to one over the other in most cases. And its the one that they thought would make them more money.

Maybe they'd have better luck if they didn't go about reppealing it in the scummiest way possible with the worst possible bills.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Good. Things aren't so great, and shit isn't getting done, especially when you've got ultra-conservatives in office now, huh.

The Koch Brothers and the NRA are a start. I sure hope you don't give those people your money already anyway.

Them and Pappa John, I avoid already.

Good luck. Most major corporations that provide the majority of items you consume just to exist make donations to both parties.

Most aren't specifically demanding the death of the ACA. Come on now.

The paradox here is that Trump has caused so many more people to be politically aware and active than they ever were. Under any other president, shitty bills like these would just pass and barely anyone in the public would think about it. But now you have late night hosts getting on the air talking to the masses about a healthcare bill, which is kind of crazy if you think about it.

The GOP made their bed with Trump, now they have to lie in it.

Shauni

My guess is they don't really care how it's paid for. These aren't idealists like the Tea Party, they are the 1% trying to keep as much as their money as possible.

If health care reform is a means to an end, so be it.

Don't be so sure. A lot of that 1% is a lot more idealistic than you probably imagine.

Shauni

The paradox here is that Trump has caused so many more people to be politically aware and active than they ever were. Under any other president, shitty bills like these would just pass and barely anyone in the public would think about it. But now you have late night hosts getting on the air talking to the masses about a healthcare bill, which is kind of crazy if you think about it.

This isn't entirely true. The overall idea is, but healthcare has been a major hot topic issue going all the way back to the 90s.

JettDash

I dunno about that. If Trumpcare passes it would probably be the worst bill to become law in my lifetime (I'm 31). Not matter the mention unprecedented in the manner (no committees, hearings, or even full CBO score). People would be pissed about it no matter who the president was.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Umm the healthcare bill isn't just any other bill, people's lives are affected by it. You also have the Democratic party trying hard to make people aware of the consequences of ACA repeal. Also, some credit also goes to the social media as well which makes it easier to inform people. Trump and other Republicans actually campaigned on repealing Obamacare and won. If Romney had won Obamacare would've been repealed because there weren't 24 million people covered back then. It's very difficult to do it now and the Republicans are shitting their pants and they don't know what to do. They are also stuck in a way because if they don't they will get decimated in 2018 and 2020.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The people who work at those corporations, never usually the corporations themselves unless in the form of a trust.

Yeah, glad to see someone else gets that. I don't give a fuck about the federally capped donations that get paraded around. The primary reason being there are disclosure requirements for them, so people use that information to aggregate donations, insinuating that they are from the companies themselves. When in reality it's people who work there.

We should be concerned about undisclosed donations to superpacs, and unlimited donations in that order. Those are the ones that matter enough to directly influence policy, as seen here.

Top Bottom