• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaban

My friend went to the screening in downtown LA last night, where they had Genndy for a Q&A. They straight up screened the first three episodes. REALLY good reactions from the crowd. Would have gone if I wasn't drowning in work :(

Would it be a good idea to check this out without watching the previous series? Sad to say I didn't have Cartoon Network when the show originally aired and I couldn't find a good way to legally catch up with the series. This looks great though from the trailers, and any adult action cartoon that's good is worth supporting.

Well, you should watch the original series for the experience, but plotwise you get the whole gist from this thread's OP.

The show is streaming on Hulu if you feel like blazing through a free trial.

Xe4

Banned
Where can I watch this in Canada If i don't have cable ?
TBH, I don't know if you can watch it in Canada with cable. It's a Toonami show, and as far as I know, Canada doesn't have Toonami. I'll be on the lookout with legal ways to stream and will update the OP with them.

Would it be a good idea to check this out without watching the previous series? Sad to say I didn't have Cartoon Network when the show originally aired and I couldn't find a good way to legally catch up with the series. This looks great though from the trailers, and any adult action cartoon that's good is worth supporting.

You don't need to watch any Samurai Jack S1-4 to watch S5. Really, all the info needed is provided in the intro to the show.

If you want to, there's a 24 hr. live stream of the show here and, it's also available on Hulu!

bunbun777

50 years in the story or did you mean 15 in real time since this show started?

Both lol. Just having a little fun being in Jack's world.

Edit- there's a good verge interview where gendy says mako's family came in to hear greg do the voice of aku and they cried because it sounded similar.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I've been ready for this for a long time. Can't believe it's coming back tomorrow!

LowRoller

TBH, I don't know if you can watch it in Canada with cable. It's a Toonami show, and as far as I know, Canada doesn't have Toonami. I'll be on the lookout with legal ways to stream and will update the OP with them.

Thanks. Guess I'll wait for the blu ray

zeemumu

Went back and watched the Scotsman episodes. His wife is fuckin' brutal.

Think we'll ever learn Jack's real name?

It's been too long and Adult Swim has really been killing it with the action cartoons lately.

Anyone who hasn't watched the old seasons recently should be required to watch the episode "Samurai versus Ninja" to see what made the show so special.

(if this is too self-promotion-y feel free to get rid of this, mods, but I figured it was relevant)

So I do a Toonami podcast. One of our members went to the L.A. premiere and we just finished recording his impressions. It's about 30 minutes long and we have some timestamps in the description if you just wanna skip to the episode impressions but otherwise we talk a little bit about what the premiere itself was like and what was said at the Q&A up front and give a clear warning before we talk about his thoughts on the episodes.

https://soundcloud.com/toonamishowdown/showdownspecial01

Bronx-Man

Banned
I still can't believe this is happening.

Like, if this takes off, someone at Toonami could be convinced that making TV-14 western animated shows is worth it.

What a time to be alive

StoneFox

The hype is real.

Sitting down on Saturdays to watch new episodes of Samurai Jack with my brother... brings me back to the days of us doing the same thing as kids.

Geist-

I'm so fucking ready.

ULQaBDY.jpg

Xe4

Banned
Those reviews, holy shit.

I think it should be pointed out those are only for the first two episodes. No one in the press has seen any past the second or third (as of tonight).

It bodes very well, though.

I still can't believe this is happening.

Like, if this takes off, someone at Toonami could be convinced that making TV-14 western animated shows is worth it.

What a time to be alive

Yeah, in a lot of ways, this show renewal means a lot for western animation outside of the obvious quality. If it does well it can bring back western TV-14+ action shows, something not seen since the 90's.

(if this is too self-promotion-y feel free to get rid of this, mods, but I figured it was relevant)

So I do a Toonami podcast. One of our members went to the L.A. premiere and we just finished recording his impressions. It's about 30 minutes long and we have some timestamps in the description if you just wanna skip to the episode impressions but otherwise we talk a little bit about what the premiere itself was like and what was said at the Q&A up front and give a clear warning before we talk about his thoughts on the episodes.

https://soundcloud.com/toonamishowdown/showdownspecial01

Thanks for this! Super interesting. I find it kind of cool the series premiere had a 3 part "movie" as well. Awesome they chose to do something like that again.

Seda

So does this season retain any of the goofiness at all or has it all just been edge'd up?

From the indiewire review for the second episode:

After a creepy ending to the first episode, Tartakovsky gives us a hilarious peek at Aku’s lair, starting with his morning routine. The monster wakes up, puts on his eyes and does exercises — then launches into a whiny therapy session about his own frustrations over Jack’s continuing resilience. A Trump-like figure who’s unhappy even at the height of his reign, Aku’s pathetic obsession with Jack only intensifies the excitement of watching the hero put evil in its place.

Paskil

Those reviews tho. Somehow I had missed that Scotsman was back until like two days ago. So hyped for this!!

br3wnor

Casually followed Samurai Jack back in the day, excited to catch this run, glad I can watch it without knowing much of the back story.

Anyway I can watch the show on Adult Swim's site? I'd like to know my choices before spending $20 buying the season on Amazon. I don't have cable, btw.

Seda

Anyway I can watch the show on Adult Swim's site? I'd like to know my choices before spending $20 buying the season on Amazon.

If you have a cable login, you can watch it as it airs here. They will probably put episodes here after they air (still requiring cable login), but there might be an expiration on them (as in an episode might only be available to watch within 3 weeks of its airing.)

At least that's what Adult Swim normally does.

edit: If you don't have cable, episodes might show up on Hulu after the season ends but that's just me speculating.

If you have a cable login, you can watch it as it airs here. They will probably put episodes here after they air (still requiring cable login), but there might be an expiration on them (as in an episode might only be available to watch within 3 weeks of its airing.)

At least that's what Adult Swim normally does.

edit: If you don't have cable, episodes might show up on Hulu after the season ends but that's just me speculating.

Eh, can't really get cable or hulu anymore. There's always Amazon, though. Ty

Have they said whether the story is ending with this season? I hope it has a great ending.

I'm all caught up after a rewatch and ready to go. I was worried the show wouldn't be as good as I remembered, since I was young at the time, but wow. It's better then I remembered.

Those reviews are great to read. I'm ready for Tartakovsky to finally finish his masterpiece.

I'm excited. Hopefully the ending of the show is satisfying, and better than Jack and The Baby (not a bad episode, just alright).

Xe4

Banned
Eh, can't really get cable or hulu anymore. There's always Amazon, though. Ty

Have they said whether the story is ending with this season? I hope it has a great ending.

Yes, this is the end of Jack's story. These ten episodes are the ending Genndy has been planning for years now.

Worth mentioning that if you don't have an option to watch the primere tonight, the marathon stream will show the primere at 10:30 ET, right after a QnA with Gennedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom