• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man arrested over attempt to kill BVB pro soccer players to crash team's stock price

Status
Not open for further replies.

orhnsnmz

It's a bit like Trading Places.

Let's say I decide my Dortmund shares, worth £10 today, are going to tank a month from now. I find someone who wants to buy Dortmund shares at £10 each and agree to sell at that price one month from now if the price drops below a certain threshold, let's say £8.

In exchange I pay £1 which is non-refundable, kinda like an insurance premium.

So one month from now, when Dortmund shares have tanked to £8 I sell them for £10 which is the price I agreed to a month ago. £10 selling price - (£8 value + £1 premium) = £1 profit per share.

Because it's an option, if the price doesn't drop then I don't have to sell my shares and eat the £1 premium.

That's the gist of it anyway.

Ok this sounds way too much like gambling and I don't understand why I as the broker (or whoever makes deals like this) would take the risk of losing so much money, if the premium is so low in relation to the loss I would make when I lose the bet.

I may be also way too naive about this, but I think explicitly betting on shares to go down should be forbidden, because that's something that's actually easy to accomplish for crazy maleficent people (like the one here).

Ok this sounds way too much like gambling and I don't understand why I as the broker (or whoever makes deals like this) would take the risk of losing so much money, if the premium is so low in relation to the loss I would make when I lose the bet.

I may be also way too naive about this, but I think explicitly betting on shares to go down should be forbidden, because that's something that's actually easy to accomplish for crazy maleficent people (like the one here).

Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Uv4ftekaI

NEO0MJ

There is an option were if stock prices fall, you can buy them at an fixated price?

How does that work?

You can do some reading on it here.

Speculators do this regardless, but options are just a way to hedge your bets if you feel that you're research on a company is not good enough to risk throwing money at.

It's a bit like Trading Places.

Let's say I decide my Dortmund shares, worth £10 today, are going to tank a month from now. I find someone who wants to buy Dortmund shares at £10 each and agree to sell at that price one month from now if the price drops below a certain threshold, let's say £8.

In exchange I pay £1 which is non-refundable, kinda like an insurance premium.

So one month from now, when Dortmund shares have tanked to £8 I sell them for £10 which is the price I agreed to a month ago. £10 selling price - (£8 value + £1 premium) = £1 profit per share.

Because it's an option, if the price doesn't drop then I don't have to sell my shares and eat the £1 premium.

That's the gist of it anyway.

This is why I despise a lot about the whole finance/stock market.
So much is just glorified gambling. This has nothing to do with investing into companies nor does society gain from it.

The attack here is unprecedented but in general this seems to be literally made for people who want to use their insider knowledge for personal gain.

orhnsnmz

After reading on this a little, I still think that this should become forbidden (which obviously wouldn't stop people from doing this, but it would at least act as a deterrent).

With regular stock trading I can only buy shares and hope that the price goes up (as a regular joe I can't realistically influence this, because I'm not crazy neither powerful nor well connected enough).

But if I bet that the price will go down and I'm fairly crazy, I can go out and influence the outcome. For example, I could just stalk and shoot Elon Musk, which would totally bring down Tesla's and SpaceX's share prices and I'd make serious money on that?

Crazy that this entirely legitimate, especially in today's world.
But I guess finance industry just doesn't care. :)

John_B

You could make your stock go up by hurting a competitor of that stock. We can't live by the fraction of crazy there is out there.

Pennywise

After reading on this a little, I still think that this should become forbidden (which obviously wouldn't stop people from doing this, but it would at least act as a deterrent).

With regular stock trading I can only buy shares and hope that the price goes up (as a regular joe I can't realistically influence this, because I'm not crazy neither powerful nor well connected enough).

But if I bet that the price will go down and I'm fairly crazy, I can go out and influence the outcome. For example, I could just stalk and shoot Elon Musk, which would totally bring down Tesla's and SpaceX's share prices and I'd make serious money on that?

Crazy that this entirely legitimate, especially in today's world.
But I guess finance industry just doesn't care. :)
Musk is certainly important and the company stocks would be influenced, but it wouldn't exactly influence the company on the same level.

Of course the club got some valuable assets like the stadium,training facilities and other things, but the team is the most important factor and there is barely anything comparable on the stock market, where you could possibly influence the shares like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom