• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust |OT| Out of the ashes, into the Dust

Zeta Oni

The 300 card pack is only $8. I bought it 2 nights ago. I think this is the rest of the cards

Yeah your right, that would make much more sense given what Adam Isgreen said in that pre-release thread. Wonder if they will include an unlock option similar to the original release.

FyreWulff

XBL-Games-Gold-June-2017.jpg

PD's MT stuff free for June? looks like the same graphic for the already-free starter pack tho

I loved my old erase deck. And I really, really loved my old 0 aura deck because it was so fast.

I'm working my way through the singleplayer right now, but also want to take some time with it to remember how much I loved it forever ago.

For PC players, is there anyway to customize controls? I'm not a fan of the default setup at all.

One change I would love to see on the game, was to get rid of arsenal cases and the stock of each skill. For me it's a hindrance to try building diverse arsenals when you have so little cases and putting an skill on an arsenal removes it from the others.

I think by now I would have way more arsenals to play instead of sticking to the 3 I'm currently at if it after you unlocked an arsenal type (1-3 schools) and a skill you could use them as you'd like. Perhaps using stock only for when you want to put the skill more than once in the same arsenal.

wwm0nkey

I still hope they put in those cancelled levels, I know there was some talk about it, but it would be really cool to see new content for this game even if it is just levels

wwm0nkey

Holy shit, just got to chapter 5.
What a twist, that's up there with Nier in my favorite Videogame twists

Yeah the story is actually really cool, remember being a bit bored with it at the first half but then that twist was just so good

Phreaker

Was a pain in the ass but, finally got the 100%.

Want to share the lovely achievement art for the thread:

Awesome!!! :)

Also, some tips (since some didn't know you could re-roll your starting hand)

• You can mulligan (re-roll) the first four skills assigned to the face buttons during the countdown to a match’s start. On the Xbox controller you press the Options button. On the PC you can press ESC.
  • You can revive a teammate, both in single player and multiplayer. You go to their body and capture them like a skill off the battlefield. Pressing the button again will revive them to 50% of their previous maximum life.
  • One School arsenal cases regenerate Aura the fastest, Three School the slowest.
  • If you pick up every skill capsule from your arsenal while in battle you will begin to lose health and eventually die.
  • To see people’s gamertags when not locked on to them press the Xbox controller’s Right Bumper.
  • If you want to know what skill your opponent used on you, it flashes quickly in red in the lower left when you get hit.
  • To perform a dodge move (jump, cartwheel, roll, etc) you can use the Left Bumper in addition to pressing in on the left thumbstick.
  • Pressing the D-pad in the direction of a skill you have captured to a button will bring up the skill card details.
  • Single use skills have a slightly different border around its Aura cost than multi use skills in the UI, when captured to a face button of the controller.

Holy shit, just got to chapter 5.
What a twist, that's up there with Nier in my favorite Videogame twists

The story is pretty good imo. Haven't played the game enough to reach that point but I remember everything clearly. The game is that good it has led a very good impression that's lasted for years.

Good to see others are enjoying it.

Elija2

It looks like I missed one of the single player missions. According to the mission guide on Phantom Dusted it was probably "Recipe For Recovery" and I can still play it in the simulator, but when I did I didn't get the memory box for it and my mission count still says 113 instead of 114. Am I just screwed out of that last memory box?

Zeta Oni

It looks like I missed one of the single player missions. According to the mission guide on Phantom Dusted it was probably "Recipe For Recovery" and I can still play it in the simulator, but when I did I didn't get the memory box for it and my mission count still says 113 instead of 114. Am I just screwed out of that last memory box?

Go to the "Memory Box Terminal" and then select "Mission Results", now search through the different locations to find whatever mission is missing a checkmark.

Edit: If none of them are missing a checkmark and your play data says 114/114 missions cleared, then yeah something odd is going on.

Elija2

Go to the "Memory Box Terminal" and then select "Mission Results", now search through the different locations to find whatever mission is missing a checkmark.

Edit: If none of them are missing a checkmark and your play data says 114/114 missions cleared, then yeah something odd is going on.

Nevermind, seems like I missed talking to Meister. His was the last mission I needed.

shingi70

Banned
I just started playing this last night, and I can't believe I missed out on this game originally. It also reminded me how much I love the polygonal aspect of the 32 bit systems to the Xbox/PS2/Gcube gen.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. Missed it back in the day. Really wish we'd get a new one now.

This one being given out for free, makes me wonder if a new Phantom dust isn't in the works again.

I just started playing this last night, and I can't believe I missed out on this game originally. It also reminded me how much I love the polygonal aspect of the 32 bit systems to the Xbox/PS2/Gcube gen.

This one being given out for free, makes me wonder if a new Phantom dust isn't in the works again.

I think there's a chance too. Would be a cool E3 reveal.

Zeta Oni

I think there's a chance too. Would be a cool E3 reveal.

Who knows?

Last we heard about the new game and not the rerelease was back at E3 2015 when Phil Spencer said they were looking for the right developer and still committed to releasing a new entry with the original creator, Yukio Futatsugi, involved.

Coming up on 2 years later now, and I cant find anything on Futatsugi or Grounding Inc. (the company he co-founded and that made Crimson Dragon) from after the year 2013.

Wherever he is, he's been quiet for a long time now, 3+ years.

About the time it takes to make a game, actually...

wwm0nkey

Who knows?

Last we heard about the new game and not the rerelease was back at E3 2015 when Phil Spencer said they were looking for the right developer and still committed to releasing a new entry with the original creator, Yukio Futatsugi, involved.

Coming up on 2 years later now, and I cant find anything on Futatsugi or Grounding Inc. (the company he co-founded and that made Crimson Dragon) from after the year 2013.

I really hope so, again Phantom Dust is pretty much the perfect GaaS game for Microsoft imo

Zeta Oni

I really hope so, again Phantom Dust is pretty much the perfect GaaS game for Microsoft imo

Yup.

Every time I'm sitting there buying junk packs I start thinking the same thing. Game is perfectly designed to work with a GaaS model, to the point I'm sure there must be some conversations going on at MS concerning the future of PD.

shingi70

Banned
The Podcast back in my play just released an episode all about Phantom Dust.

If anyone is down to play later on tonight I'd be up for some rounds.

wwm0nkey

Yup.

Every time I'm sitting there buying junk packs I start thinking the same thing. Game is perfectly designed to work with a GaaS model, to the point I'm sure there must be some conversations going on at MS concerning the future of PD.

Well since the game seems to have retained players I am sure things are looking good for Phantom Dust. Will not be super shocked if we hear about a 2nd one at E3 and this was just a little warm up since the reboot/2nd was really never "cancelled"

Kent

Who knows?

Grounding's website has been quiet for the past three years - but only in English. The Japanese site reveals that they've been making board/tabletop games and, apparently, a Space Channel 5 VR thing.

Outside of that, I remember hearing about Futatsugi being credited in some mobile games, though I can't recall which ones.

Zeta Oni

Grounding's website has been quiet for the past three years - but only in English. The Japanese site reveals that they've been making board/tabletop games and, apparently, a Space Channel 5 VR thing.

Outside of that, I remember hearing about Futatsugi being credited in some mobile games, though I can't recall which ones.

Yeah I'm looking through their "products" page and their releases look something like:

Crimson Dragon for Xbox One, released 11/22/2013
"Gotouchi Tetsudou" for Wii U/3DS, released 11/27/2014
Mobile game #1 for Android/iOS, released 1/28/2016
Mobile game #2 for Android/iOS, released 8/8/2016

And that's all I'm seeing outside the Space Channel 9 and board game stuff.

Going by the credits for Crimson Dragon, they aren't a large team, maybe 30-50 people? Makes you wonder what was going on in the two years between the Wii U title and the mobile games.

At least the fact they are working with the SC9 IP means they must have some sort of a relationship with Sega, so hopefully we see more out of that.

This game has such a weird and interesting art style. Really enjoying it.

Yeah I'm looking through their "products" page and their releases look something like:

Crimson Dragon for Xbox One, released 11/22/2013
"Gotouchi Tetsudou" for Wii U/3DS, released 11/27/2014
Mobile game #1 for Android/iOS, released 1/28/2016
Mobile game #2 for Android/iOS, released 8/8/2016

And that's all I'm seeing outside the Space Channel 9 and board game stuff.

Going by the credits for Crimson Dragon, they aren't a large team, maybe 30-50 people? Makes you wonder what was going on in the two years between the Wii U title and the mobile games.

At least the fact they are working with the SC9 IP means they must have some sort of a relationship with Sega, so hopefully we see more out of that.

Futatsugi reconnecting with SEGA is very exciting for Panzer Dragoon fans. Especially with the whole "revive classic IP" thing they have going on recently. *fingers crossed*

FyreWulff

I thought that
it's the ending that makes the title of the game a spoiler, not the chapter 5 reveal.

i've always viewed that as the
double whammy since the leaders die from finding out the truth in the opening of Chapter 5, then you get to the ending...

but I'll edit it
so it's a bit more vague for those playing

and then you (REAL END OF GAME SPOILERS)

find out that you're not only created by Edgar, the Edgar you've been following was also created by Edgar...

Zeta Oni

i've always viewed that as the
double whammy since the leaders die from finding out the truth in the opening of Chapter 5, then you get to the ending...

and then you (REAL END OF GAME SPOILERS)

find out that you're not only created by Edgar, the Edgar you've been following was also created by Edgar...

Yeah, which was my line of thought.

There's the literal interpretation:

Everything in the world is the creation of a Phantom, thanks to the powers of the Dust.

But I enjoy the more philosophical implications of the title:

Since the dust allows the manifestation of memories, than everything it creates is an illusion of something else, a ghost of the past, a phantom.

However, creating something that can also store and make new memories?

At what point do they stop being memories and start being human beings?

When we die, the memories you leave behind are all the proof you ever existed. And when those memories start to fade, its like the dust in the wind.

shingi70

Banned
I'm confused about deck building. I'm trying to build a deck and it keeps telling me I can't have more than two schools at a time. Does that mean I can't only make a deck consisting of two of the six card types?

Top Bottom