• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

zkylon

zkylewd
Colonial, I think HardcoreSkyrim's just what I'm looking for. Good find! I was using this but it's not really doing it for me...

Has anyone tried HBE? I'm liking it as my main balance mod so far...

Karak

Colonial, I think HardcoreSkyrim's just what I'm looking for. Good find! I was using this but it's not really doing it for me...

Has anyone tried HBE? I'm liking it as my main balance mod so far...

Don't use it IMHO. Lots of issues. I got it somewhat working but noticing a ton of stuff missing when testing it. Then found all the problems others found and in the CK there are some errors that will cause issues with compatibility but the mod author was informed. First couple pages of comments on Nexus identify the issues and the fixes in planning. The mod author is working hard but seems brand new to this and is trying his best but bit off a great chunk for an initial mod of this caliber. I didn't have to clean my savegame which was nice. But if its working for you your one of the lucky ones. Because I really wanted to be one of the ones getting it to work but I had the same issues. Missing schematics(fixable but by doing so you actually sort of dumb down the mod), broken trees, and so forth.

My lord I test too many mods. I just realized where half my life has gone in the past months.

S0N0S

It's all good, I bit the bullet and removed all the mods and started from scratch. Has taken a while but I'm getting back to where I was. Thanks anyway.

Just drop NMM entirely - or use it as a download manager - and use Wyre Bash to organize mods and mod load order. Seriously, Wyre Bash is the most capable mod manager out there, allowing you to organize everything from mods, to saves, to INI edits...it's just the best.

And I know it will seem intimidating at first, but once you learn the interface, it makes the experience of modifying your game so much more streamlined and user-friendly. I've tried NMM and Mod Organizer, and they just don't compare. Also, don't forget to download the new game definitions, too.

Karak

Just drop NMM entirely - or use it as a download manager - and use Wyre Bash to organize mods and mod load order. Seriously, Wyre Bash is the most capable mod manager out there, allowing you to organize everything from mods, to saves, to INI edits...it's just the best.

And I know it will seem intimidating at first, but once you learn the interface, it makes the experience of modifying your game so much more streamlined and user-friendly. I've tried NMM and Mod Organizer, and they just don't compare. Also, don't forget to download the new game definitions, too.

Does WB offer virtual file pathing? Because if it does, its the only thing that's a 100% absolute must, then I will jump instantly!

It looks like it was two normals (same name, different size on the same texture file) conflicting that seemed to be at fault. I've gotten so used to mixing different textures from a variety of mods that it was bound to happen.

There might have been a CK update. I couldn't start it up earlier and assumed it was updating or something.

Anyway, here are a few more screens I took today...

I've seen a lot of post-processing shots in this thread, but these are the first ones that have made me want to try it. What mods/settings are you using? Also, which Whiterun mod(s) are giving you those nice trees?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Any level building is pretty much pointless because of the dreaded navmesh bug. That includes whole new regions. And those are apparently also impossible to pull off in a full-Tamriel scope because the world grid is buggy, collision detection will freak out if a certain x interval is exceeded.

So I guess Bethesda has got some old corpses stinking up the joint, unfortunately.

Karak

Any level building is pretty much pointless because of the dreaded navmesh bug. That includes whole new regions. And those are apparently also impossible to pull off in a full-Tamriel scope because the world grid is buggy, collision detection will freak out if a certain x interval is exceeded.

So I guess Bethesda has got some old corpses stinking up the joint, unfortunately.

Ya its pretty bad. Also the blackface bug is crazy for making new NPC's. So much to work around that your almost 100% locked to copying an existing NPC and blah blah blah. Lots of buggy stuff. I actually give them kudo's for making the game with 2 main bugs like that.

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't use it IMHO. Lots of issues. I got it somewhat working but noticing a ton of stuff missing when testing it. Then found all the problems others found and in the CK there are some errors that will cause issues with compatibility but the mod author was informed. First couple pages of comments on Nexus identify the issues and the fixes in planning. The mod author is working hard but seems brand new to this and is trying his best but bit off a great chunk for an initial mod of this caliber. I didn't have to clean my savegame which was nice. But if its working for you your one of the lucky ones. Because I really wanted to be one of the ones getting it to work but I had the same issues. Missing schematics(fixable but by doing so you actually sort of dumb down the mod), broken trees, and so forth.

My lord I test too many mods. I just realized where half my life has gone in the past months.
Do you recommend any other overall-balance mods? I basically want there to be less loot.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Ya its pretty bad. Also the blackface bug is crazy for making new NPC's. So much to work around that your almost 100% locked to copying an existing NPC and blah blah blah. Lots of buggy stuff. I actually give them kudo's for making the game with 2 main bugs like that.

Obviously, Bethesda has an inhouse toolset that exceeds the capabilities of the CK. That probably includes scripts that walk through issues modders have, and fix them for content coming from Bethesda. Additionally, modders are often enough tinkering with tools that potentially aren't up to the tasks. So it's not exclusively Bethesda's fault.

S0N0S

I know. The funniest(saddest) part is that they released tutorials detailing how to create new world spaces and how to create navmeshes, yet the navmesh bug means that all of that work will amount to broken content. If you don't know what the navmesh bug is or means for mods in Skyrim, here's a great video detailing the issue.

The navmesh bug is new thread worthy, in my opinion. This bug needs more attention, because, until it's fixed, forget about mods that add new areas, homes, building, etc.... Open Cities has already ceased development because of this bug! Then again, there are so many other major CK bugs.

Uriah

Deadly combat seems interesting but how does it affect magic? Does it make magic attacks stronger, because even as a mage my spells can be pretty weak.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I know. The funniest(saddest) part is that they released tutorials detailing how to create new world spaces and how to create navmeshes, yet the navmesh bug means that all of that work will amount to broken content. If you don't know what the navmesh bug is or means for mods in Skyrim, here's a great video detailing the issue.
I think that guy is insane. "Bethsada", what? "I don't announce mods in that community anymore", huh? But w/e, as long as he gets the point across, he can as insane as he wants to be.
The navmesh bug is new thread worthy, in my opinion. This bug needs more attention, because, until it's fixed, forget about mods that add new areas, homes, building, etc.... Open Cities has already ceased development because of this bug! Then again, there are so many other major CK bugs.

There might be grounds for making a CK-related bug thread.

What I'd love would be if Bethesda invited modders to demonstrate bugs like that. Like Naughty Dog did for the MP aim issue in Uncharted 3.

Is something going on with the texture pack? Skyrim's been downloading a chunk each time I've quit out, and I am having weird ground texture issues in Whiterun.

Karak

Do you recommend any other overall-balance mods? I basically want there to be less loot.

Well there are a couple harder Skyrim style mods. I pretty much spend my day testing mods for as many people as I can(currently get to work some days from home) and most if not all still have legacy problems due to the way the game was originally put together and the weap files having issues. Many reasons exist, the lateness of the CK is one of them(people coming to grips with it) and its general bugginess.

Disclaimer:
It SOUNDS like yours is running fine. If it is I say keep using it. No one has made a good 100% working harder Skyrim yet and if you have a game your not noticing issues with you might want to keep it the way it is.

However-
If you decide to try something else.

Balanced Combat 2.5 works somewhat well. But it is a newer one and the mod maker is coming to grips with the system. But he has a good approach and has made it work best right at Adept. Its difficulty only however. I wasn't a huge fan but it works well.

PISE is the big kid on the block when it comes to what your specifically talking about with less leveled loot and increased spawns that are more difficult but...and this is a big butt it has a lot of plugins. So you have to make sure you install it right and it fits with what you want and there are incompatibilities.

If it were me and I had a working game like you I would stick with what you have. I just found a lot of clutter with that particular add-on that WILL cause issues later. But when he updates it, he will hopefully fix them.

Deadly combat seems interesting but how does it affect magic? Does it make magic attacks stronger, because even as a mage my spells can be pretty weak.
Melee, bash, pierce only with some stagger events added for magic only. You will need a real magic mod for additional magic based adjustments that would adjust what your looking for.

Karak

Obviously, Bethesda has an inhouse toolset that exceeds the capabilities of the CK. That probably includes scripts that walk through issues modders have, and fix them for content coming from Bethesda. Additionally, modders are often enough tinkering with tools that potentially aren't up to the tasks. So it's not exclusively Bethesda's fault.

Well both those they admitted exist in their own toolset. That's why I was pointing those out in particular of course. They probably work around them in somewhat the same fashion we are. Actually I guess they do since the dev posted in the problem thread with the work around they use for the NPC issue. ARG!

I 100% back the notion of another thread for the mesh bug. Horrid!

Also...I didn't know Open Cities had stopped. Damn, I was hoping that would not happen:(

zkylon

zkylewd
Well there are a couple harder Skyrim style mods. I pretty much spend my day testing mods for as many people as I can(currently get to work some days from home) and most if not all still have legacy problems due to the way the game was originally put together and the weap files having issues.

Disclaimer:
It SOUNDS like yours is running fine. If it is I say keep using it. No one has made a good 100% working harder Skyrim yet and if you have a game your not noticing issues with you might want to keep it the way it is.

Many reasons exist, the lateness of the CK is one of them and its general bugginess.

However-
If you decide to try something else.

Balanced Combat 2.5 works somewhat well. But it is a newer one and the mod maker is coming to grips with the system. But he has a good approach and has made it work best right at Adept. Its difficulty only however. I wasn't a huge fan but it works well.

PISE is the big kid on the block when it comes to what your specifically talking about with less leveled loot and increased spawns that are more difficult but...and this is a big butt it has a lot of plugins. So you have to make sure you install it right and it fits with what you want.

If it were me and I had a working game like you I would stick with what you have. I just found alot of clutter with that particular addon that WILL cause issues later. But when he updates it, he will hopefully fix them.
I forget how long it took for FWE and Project Nevada to become what they are today. I guess I'll stick with this until it bugs out or gets fixed. My PC's churning BSODs left and right lately so I'm not gonna do much Skyrim anyways :p

S0N0S

I think that guy is insane. "Bethsada", what? "I don't announce mods in that community anymore", huh? But w/e, as long as he gets the point across, he can as insane as he wants to be.
There might be grounds for making a CK-related bug thread.

What I'd love would be if Bethesda invited modders to demonstrate bugs like that. Like Naughty Dog did for the MP aim issue in Uncharted 3.

Mispronunciations aside, he's clearly just an experienced Bethesda game modder that is frustrated, and understandably so.

It's interesting that this bug has been around for so long and that Bethesda has essentially ignored it. I don't know what their plans are for the CK and Steam Workshop, but it would be silly if they didn't address these bugs considering the effort they've put into growing the mod community in the last few weeks.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Actually, I'm pretty sure the CK issues are a news story because it is interesting to gamers, it should be good enough to illicit a response, there should be developments further on, the CK itself was a big news story, the Steam mod thing should be closely monitored by the press because it's a big deal, and so on.

Someone kick Kotaku, Giant Bomb and IGN in the butt :p

UrbanRats

Lol, can't catch a break with these guys. :p
I was waiting for the mods to be out in full force, but at this rate, i'll be playing it in 2013.

Mashing

I need a program that can track my VRAM usage while in game (in game overlay). I know EVGA Precision can do that (I have an EVGA card), but I heard that also causes problems with Skyrim. I get a enough crashes as it is (which I why I want something to track my VRAM usage to see if that's why I'm crashing). I have a GTX 580 1.5GB, which should be more than enough for any amount of texture mods. Although, running at 1920x1080 at 8x AA may be too much. Bumped it down to 4x and I still CTD a lot.

hemtae

Well from the sounds of it, it shouldn't be an obstacle to the big overhaul mods which is what I really want right now. On the other hand, Tamriel Rebuilt is one of my favorite mods from Morrowind.

IoCaster

Gold Member
Did you get these colors with ENB or FXAA injectors?

Getting more to the point, I guess... I'm looking to add some color to my game very similar to yours it seems, without all the other 'fluff' stuff: Sharpening, DoF, FXAA, etc. What would be the best way to do so?

I've seen a lot of post-processing shots in this thread, but these are the first ones that have made me want to try it. What mods/settings are you using? Also, which Whiterun mod(s) are giving you those nice trees?

Iocaster what mod are you using to get that effect

Sorry for the late reply guys. I stepped out for the evening to have a bit of fun.

I'm using the Himmelsrand Custom Shader Suite with a modified shader config file. I've also modded a few of the light sources in the game that slightly brighten dungeons and interiors while leaving exteriors a bit darker than default. My graphic settings at the moment are FXAA=off, 16xAF, 2xMSAA, 2xSGSSAA, SSAO @ performance setting via Nvidia Inspector on a GTX 580.

The colors and trees in Whiterun are mostly the result of mixing various textures from different mods. I've got a separate folder for each town backed up so that I can just copy'n'paste whenever I screw something up. It's best to check each texture mod out and just use the ones that appeal to you to get a unique look for your game. Download each mod and extract to a temp folder, pick out the individual texture files (.dds, _n.dds) you want to use and drop them in the appropriate location in your Skyrim folder. Search the net to find a dds plugin for your favorite image app so that you can modify/recolor the texture to suit your taste.

There are a gazillion texture mods on the Nexus to choose from. Here are a couple of the mods that I've used as a source for some of the textures.

Alternatives - Whiterun
The Pines of Whiterun

IoCaster

Gold Member
I need a program that can track my VRAM usage while in game (in game overlay). I know EVGA Precision can do that (I have an EVGA card), but I heard that also causes problems with Skyrim. I get a enough crashes as it is (which I why I want something to track my VRAM usage to see if that's why I'm crashing). I have a GTX 580 1.5GB, which should be more than enough for any amount of texture mods. Although, running at 1920x1080 at 8x AA may be too much. Bumped it down to 4x and I still CTD a lot.

I use the Nvidia Inspector sensor monitor. I leave it open while I run the game and alt-tab to check VRAM usage.

Skeyser

GPU-Z makes a graph of your vram usage in real time, so you can just alt-tab and check what was your usage 5 sec ago.

ScRYeD

Got my Skyrim back up and running at 100% and took some pics of a combination of Vurts Flora Overhaul & Skyrim Realistic Overhaul by Starac

ihgjSdNUjmL2.jpg

i3Sx7Mqe9DB5l.jpg

iUyt53dyQDH9X.jpg

ibaHaYTlp6bhKw.jpg

Doesn't that just look AAAAmmMMMMAAAAZZZZiIiIInNNGGGG.

Lumine

I'm about 30 hours into Skyrim now, I'm thinking it's time for some mods. Not really sure where to start though, I'm thinking SkyUI and the one with roads on the map seem like good ones. Any other ones I should check out? And can I install all mods through the Steamworkshop now?

Also, I'm unsure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm having some performance issues. Wierd ones, like one moment I'm walking through Whiterun and my framerate remains stable, then the next time in the exact same place my framerate goes to complete shit. As in, pretty much unplayable because simply turning freezes the whole game for several seconds. This doesn't always happen though, but still regularly. Restarting the game fixes this most of the time, but not always and often only for so long. Anyone have any idea whats causing this and/or how to fix this?

Guys, I want to revert my Ugrids from 9 to 7 but I'm still wary because of my las red loading models experience, is there any Ultimate/Up to date revert guide around?

Also, I'm unsure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm having some performance issues. Wierd ones, like one moment I'm walking through Whiterun and my framerate remains stable, then the next time in the exact same place my framerate goes to complete shit. As in, pretty much unplayable because simply turning freezes the whole game for several seconds. This doesn't always happen though, but still regularly. Restarting the game fixes this most of the time, but not always and often only for so long. Anyone have any idea whats causing this and/or how to fix this?
Might be the HD texture pack if you've got it installed.

I think I am pretty much done with graphical mods for now, besides keeping things up to date. I have never really had any luck with ENB's and have never really liked the look of them. The Realistic Colours and Real Nights mod has kept me very happy for quite some time in the lighting department.

Anyway, I snapped a few pictures just now.

Karak

Sorry for the late reply guys. I stepped out for the evening to have a bit of fun.

I'm using the Himmelsrand Custom Shader Suite with a modified shader config file. I've also modded a few of the light sources in the game that slightly brighten dungeons and interiors while leaving exteriors a bit darker than default. My graphic settings at the moment are FXAA=off, 16xAF, 2xMSAA, 2xSGSSAA, SSAO @ performance setting via Nvidia Inspector on a GTX 580.

The colors and trees in Whiterun are mostly the result of mixing various textures from different mods. I've got a separate folder for each town backed up so that I can just copy'n'paste whenever I screw something up. It's best to check each texture mod out and just use the ones that appeal to you to get a unique look for your game. Download each mod and extract to a temp folder, pick out the individual texture files (.dds, _n.dds) you want to use and drop them in the appropriate location in your Skyrim folder. Search the net to find a dds plugin for your favorite image app so that you can modify/recolor the texture to suit your taste.

There are a gazillion texture mods on the Nexus to choose from. Here are a couple of the mods that I've used as a source for some of the textures.

Alternatives - Whiterun
The Pines of Whiterun

Thanks. I love your pics man! Really amazing look.

That is how I am using Mod Organizer. I have 6 profiles so I can test, check out GFX mods, gameplay mods, and so forth or mix and match with the push of a button. I did the same in Whiterun as you but didn't get mine looking exactly like that. Something about the colors you chose or whatever, just really pops and makes it so very pretty.

Piano

Banned
I can't decide which version of Wars in Skyrim to use. Normal Mode is a bit lore-breaking...there are too many random hostile NPCs out there. This can be fun but it doesn't really make sense...how do couriers and other citizens manage to get around if I encounter two trolls, a vampire and an atronach on my way from one city to another?

I was hoping it would add a lot more life to the world but only have so much if it be hostile. Has anyone tried the Rainbow mode? What about the Wild Age mode? Are most of the animals docile or hostile?

MacAttack

I can't decide which version of Wars in Skyrim to use. Normal Mode is a bit lore-breaking...there are too many random hostile NPCs out there. This can be fun but it doesn't really make sense...how do couriers and other citizens manage to get around if I encounter two trolls, a vampire and an atronach on my way from one city to another?

I was hoping it would add a lot more life to the world but only have so much if it be hostile. Has anyone tried the Rainbow mode? What about the Wild Age mode? Are most of the animals docile or hostile?

As much as I enjoy the normal "Wars in Skyrim" I'm not using it on my main save because of this. Just doesn't seem to work in the context of the original game. I have a second save where I go nuts with all the insane mods I can find.

I only played a little of this one last night but its pretty fun with large scale battles raging across Skyrim: WARZONES

Like I said, I haven't played it extensively but it seems to play nice with WiS.

edit: lttp...can't beat Raptor. :(

Top Bottom