• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

Eh, I'm probably wrong. It's just how I've always felt about the game, haha
I was always a PvE guy in GW1, mainly because I didn't find the PVP very fun. But there's no denying that PvP was a pretty large component in GW1 and it was the main attraction for a lot of players.
PvP in GW2 looks a lot more fun to me though, so I'll probably dabble in that a bit. Especially WvW.

Jira

Ok guys, I only played a bit of Guild Wars and I havent been really following info on Guild Wars 2.

I do like the videos I have seen, dynamic events, no more need for tank and healer roles, etc. However, Im a big PvE player. I really dont care for PvP.

Will Guild Wars 2 keep me busy after I reach the max level?

Or after that the focus becomes PvP?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Their entire focus is building a game that is fun to play the entire time, not only once you hit the level cap. The game won't pull a bait & switch on you by drastically changing what you do day to day. Your experience leveling is the same experience you have after you hit the cap.

Then you have your personal story, extreme emphasis on exploration, tons of titles to chase after, skill challenges, achievements, minipets, rare skins, etc.

There's 1,500+ events at launch and now Meta Events which are the following:

In the beta weekend, there were generally 2 or more large meta dynamic event chains in each of the maps available. These meta event chains are made up of usually in the ballpark of 5-20+ events chaining and branching in various different directions. They stand out because even if no events are currently running, you'll see unique UI for them that tells you the state of the world as a result of the events that occurred in the area.

Meta events generally have the largest amount of world impact of any event chains, making large sweeping changes to huge chunks of a map in the world. Dynamic events have varying impact from small (new merchant who sells stuff) to massive (explosions!!) depending on the scope and important of the event.

You'll find the early part of the game tends to be a bit easier to help guide people into the game and not overwhelm them at first. There are optional much harder areas available in those maps for folks looking for larger challenges, and group events even in the starter maps as well designed to be a larger challenge. As you progress through the game, you'll encounter more and more meta events, group events, and the difficulty ramps up. Along the way, you'll encounter more events that have larger branches along their failure chains as well.

Also a bonus tip, after any dynamic event (or event chain) it's always a good idea to follow the key NPC's or investigate the area after the event has been completed. If you don't run off, you'll often times find they build new buildings, setup stores, build defenses, kick off new events (after some dialogue), repair broken things, build siege weapons, change the weather, have new spawns appear/change, and more as a result of dynamic events concluding.

The range of affect on each events varies on a case by case basis, if you get the rabbits out of the melon field the farmers daughter opens a store and sells watermelon and lucky rabbits feet. If you participate in the meta event chain to drive into centaur lands near Beetletun, you open up merchants who find centaur weapons and sell them, conquer centaur lands causing centaurs to stop spawning in the area, open up safe paths for caravans to travel to Beetletun and more!

and then

Dungeons – At launch there will be 8 dungeons, but don’t fret! This doesn’t mean they’re the same static thing over and over again.Like everything else in the game, ArenaNet is shaking up how dungeons work as well. Every dungeon has a Story mode and an Exploration mode. The Story mode uses concept art and exposition to tell the story similar to the Personal Story. After completing the Story mode of a dungeon, you will unlock Exploration mode. Exploration mode is significantly harder than the Story mode version. Story mode is meant for pretty much any random pick up group, whereas Exploration mode is very difficult content that is meant for a coordinated group of players. Whatever results come of the Story mode version will play out in the Exploration version of the dungeons. Each of the Exploration dungeons have at least 3 paths that the group can vote on that will determine what path they take. The Dynamic Event system is also present in both versions of the dungeons, so even if you play through multiple times, that doesn’t mean you’ll see the same exact thing. Bonus events could spawn from player actions, by location or even at random and change your experience.

But what about the loot you ask?

Every dungeon has its own unique weapon and armor sets. The Story mode has the unique weapons and the Exploration mode has the unique armor sets. When you complete a dungeon you'll be given a token that's used as a currency for either weaopons or armor. So rather than grinding a single dungeon 20 times in hopes that you get what you're looking for, you can just take the token and buy exactly what you want.

Also, they said they're going to be putting more events in and not even tell us, they want people to be surprised. They've said they're so proficient with their toolkit that they can pump out events in 6 hours - 2 days depending on the event type and testing.

Orayn

Ok guys, I only played a bit of Guild Wars and I havent been really following info on Guild Wars 2.

I do like the videos I have seen, dynamic events, no more need for tank and healer roles, etc. However, Im a big PvE player. I really dont care for PvP.

Will Guild Wars 2 keep me busy after I reach the max level?

Or after that the focus becomes PvP?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

There's not a max level in the same sense as other MMOs, actually. Once you hit level 30, the game his a plateau in terms of stats and equipment power. You continue to level up, get new gear, and unlock traits, but level becomes more of a measure of player progress and encounter difficulty because the numbers don't bloat like they do in WoW.

Jira

There's not a max level in the same sense as other MMOs, actually. Once you hit level 30, the game his a plateau in terms of stats and equipment power. You continue to level up, get new gear, and unlock traits, but level becomes more of a measure of player progress and encounter difficulty because the numbers don't bloat like they do in WoW.

That's not true, gear plateaus at 80, the leveling curve plateaus at 30.

Wow, a lot of replies fast.

Thanks for all the help guys!

You guys really convinced me to get the game.

Everything I have seen so far surely caught my atttention but you guys sealed the deal.

Hope to join the GAF guild! :)

Orayn

That's not true, gear plateaus at 80, the leveling curve plateaus at 30.

Ooh, I thought that sounded a little off when I first heard it. All the content from 30-80 is supposed to be in the same general ballpark, though, right? They said something to the effect of players in that range being able to complete encounters tens of levels higher than their own, due to the lack of "inflation."

GrizzNKev

Banned
wait so max level is 30 ?

can you still earn new skills for other weps afterwards?

No. That means the rate at which you level stops changing after thirty. Let's say you have to kill 10 level 1 monsters to get from level 1 to level 2. Then from level 2 to level 3, you have to kill 15 level 2 monsters. The amount of experience required stops increasing after 30, so from 30 to 80, you are leveling at a consistent rate. This prevents you from feeling like you have to grind your way to character progression.

Orayn

No. That means the rate at which you level stops changing after thirty. Let's say you have to kill 10 level 1 monsters to get from level 1 to level 2. Then from level 2 to level 3, you have to kill 15 level 2 monsters. The amount of experience required stops increasing after 30, so from 30 to 80, you are leveling at a consistent rate. This prevents you from feeling like you have to grind your way to character progression.

I believe they said that each level also represents a smaller increase in player and equipment power at that point. Part of the whole plateau of power philosophy.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I believe they said that each level also represents a smaller increase in player and equipment power at that point. Part of the whole plateau of power philosophy.

Right. I would much rather level more consistently with smaller benefits than grind for a week so I can finally kill mobs one level higher.

Orayn

Leveling curve just rounding off... god I love you ArenaNet.

After experiencing the horrifying increases in XP to level associated with the first two WoW expansions, this makes me want to fly out to Washington and start hugging people at ArenaNet's offices.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Leveling curve just rounding off... god I love you ArenaNet.
qxgt7.jpg

thats all i know in terms of leveling curve.

Coxswain

This isn't official information or anything, but about the experience curve leveling off, I've seen one place where a developer has given a 'for instance' of about 90 minutes for each level, and one where a developer gave a 'for instance' of about 60 minutes. So while it's not necessarily within that range, that seems to be a ballpark figure for about how long they think it should take.

(That's still a long fucking time to max out if there are 80 levels, as far as I'm concerned, but then I'm a crusty old GW1 idealist and my favourite campaign was Factions because you hit max level in like 2-4 hours.)

Jira

This isn't official information or anything, but about the experience curve leveling off, I've seen one place where a developer has given a 'for instance' of about 90 minutes for each level, and one where a developer gave a 'for instance' of about 60 minutes. So while it's not necessarily within that range, that seems to be a ballpark figure for about how long they think it should take.

(That's still a long fucking time to max out if there are 80 levels, as far as I'm concerned, but then I'm a crusty old GW1 idealist and my favourite campaign was Factions because you hit max level in like 2-4 hours.)

They weren't even going to have levels at all, but they put them in cause they know people bitched that 20 was max in GW1 and they said they know people like using leveling as a measure of progression.

Ashodin

They weren't even going to have levels at all, but they put them in cause they know people bitched that 20 was max in GW1 and they said they know people like using leveling as a measure of progression.

Also they can space out content and throw people "bones" per se in terms of unlocked abilities, unlocking elites, etc.

Personally I think Elites should be some sort of quest you do to go find the master of the elite or something profession-related.

Dreavus

Yep, which form are you talking about? Stats or aesthetics? I'll just layout both for you lol, gimme a sec.

Aesthetics:

There's 400 dyes in the game, all individually and uniquely named. Smaller armor like gloves have 1 dye channel, larger armor like chest pieces have 3 and sometimes even 4 dye channels. Armor is broken up into 3 weight classes (light/medium/heavy). There's no profession specific armor, you'll never see something only a Guardian can wear, but not a Warrior. So you can take any say heavy chest piece in the game, use a Transmutation stone and transfer the stats onto another chest piece so you can look exactly how you want.

Stats:

Every piece of gear in the game has 1 mod slot, even grey items.

Here's how the mod system works:

Armor - Runes
Weapons - Sigils
Accessories - Jewels

Runes allow you to create custom set bonuses, so depending on how many of X rune you have in your gear will dictate your set bonus, for example:

Superior Rune of the Afflicted

1. +28 condition damage
2. +15% bleed duration
3. +55 condition damage
4. +15% poison duration
5. +100 condition damage
6. You create a death nova when you go down. (cooldown: 30 sec.)

or

1. +25 power
2. 5% to cause your next attack to steal life when hit. (cooldown: 15s)
3. +50 power
4. your next attack after using your heal skill steals life. (Not in)
5. +90 power
6. You become mist when your below 10% health. (cooldown: 60s)

and so on.

Sigils are mods for your weapons which also have 1 slot each, here's an example:

you are healed each time you kill a foe

or

30% chance to cause a lightning strike on critical hit (cannot happen more than every 5 sec)

or

your next attack after swapping to this weapon combat steals some life

or

+5% damage

Jewels are more like flat stat increases:

+25 Toughness
+15 Healing
+15 Vitality

Combine the rune system, sigil system, and jewel system with the combat system, the many weapons you can choose from, healing/utility/elite skills, traits and cross profession combos and you're looking at depth that not enough people seem to realize even exists.

Thanks for the run down!

This sounds completely awesome. I am drooling at the mention of 400 dyes with more than one dye slot per armor piece.

No profession unique armor seems a little odd to me though, since it's generally one of the main things that defines a class in other games, including GW1 (aside from their skills of course). I hope this doesn't mean that Mesmers won't have their characteristic formal attire because they're lumped in with the other light classes. D:

I'm really hoping for a GW1 "elite enchanters" visual equivalent. :)

Jira

They said that it's actually easier for them to design armors in this way rather than class specific, they can design far, far more than with the old way.

Orayn

They said that it's actually easier for them to design armors in this way rather than class specific, they can design far, far more than with the old way.

Seems like a pretty natural extension of the way runes worked in GW1, now that classes overlap a bit more than they used to.

Coxswain

Man, you just bummed me out :( An RPG without level progression is like my own personal unicorn; magical and wonderful, but I'm pretty sure I'll never actually see one (GW1 came reasonably close).

If only

Jira

Man, you just bummed me out :( An RPG without level progression is like my own personal unicorn; magical and wonderful, but I'm pretty sure I'll never actually see one (GW1 came reasonably close).

If only

Yeah, if they would have done that they pretty much would have shit all over every single MMO convention, at least they've helped with a flat leveling curve post 30 and scaling.

Varna

If only

Considering how fast you level up in MMOs today it's not even an issue.

If you are into board games Arkham Horror is kind of a table top RPG without levels. Always fun.

Ferny

I can see why they added the levels though. It helps create a sense of progression for most people like "oh i'll just hit two more levels and then im off" kind of feeling.

Varna

Fuck. I don't know what I'm going to roll with. I was initially set on Mesmer. It was my favorite class in the original. Still looks great to me even if it is a farcry from the GW1 version. But the only reason I even picked Mesmer in the first place was because GW1 didn't have a Rogue class... and damn GW2 Rogue looks pretty damn awesome.

zulfate

I think the steal mechanic is the reason I want to try the class out. They must have thought up millions of abilities that are ONLY THIEF USABLE.

THINK ABOUT THAT. DAMNNNNNNN

I might make one of every class. hm.

THIS GAME.

yeah first i was like "a warrior, thats always my first MMO character" then i was like "hmmm this game! my god i want to play all of them!" now i am like " yup 3 day vacation sounds good, i need to play every thing!!!!"

Jira

Someone brought up a good point, the 3rd icon on the left side of the Market is likely item to item trading and the last icon is probably where you pick up your expires sales.

Arken2121

yeah first i was like "a warrior, thats always my first MMO character" then i was like "hmmm this game! my god i want to play all of them!" now i am like " yup 3 day vacation sounds good, i need to play every thing!!!!"

that's probably the best option. :-D

Jira

I can't say I've ever wanted to play every class before, I mean I played every class in WoW over time, but never have I wanted to actually play them all fairly equally.

Arken2121

most of us just stick to two, maybe three. I can easily see a ton of people wanting to not only take each class for a drive but see them all to their maximum level.

Jira

most of us just stick to two, maybe three. I can easily see a ton of people wanting to not only take each class for a drive but see them all to their maximum level.

Yeah, I have plans on getting 3 extra character slots (assuming 5 is indeed the default) on day 1 and making all of my characters so I can get the names I want.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Like I said earlier, I'm definitely going to do that for at least five or them since I want to experience playing the game as reach race all the way through.

Wallach

I've been poking around with the TERA closed beta this weekend, and if they have the responsiveness of controls that TERA has, GW2 is going to be game of the forever. It's the only thing that remains a question mark for me and there's no way to erase it until I get my hands on it.

Jira

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1159310&postcount=1242

The renown hearts are a separate system and not counted in the tally when we talk about there being over 1500 unique dynamic events in Guild Wars 2. On top of the 1500+ dynamic events in Gw2, there are hundreds of renown hearts available as well.

These are two separate systems that compliment one another in a number of different ways, but we do not include renown hearts in the count when we talk about total events in the game.

So 1,500+ events and 657 hearts. GOT DAMN

Vinci

Danish
Ordinarily I always play a rogue, but there are so many great options with this game. I'll just try each until I figure out which ones appeal to me the most.

*sigh*

I don't have time for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom