• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School Shooting in Aztec NM

Maedre

Banned
The sad thing is that I read this and just think: sad but it’s the fault of the us citizens. They have the power to change this system but are letting the gun-lobby dictate the future of your children.

I’m glad that I my children will be raised in an environment where guns and gun violence is not existing.

McLovin

Why is it always America?
Because republicans are easily bought. That’s the unfortunate reality we live in, that’s also why Congress just passed legislation to lower gun restrictions🤷🏽*♂️

Ubername

Banned
Because republicans are easily bought. That’s the unfortunate reality we live in, that’s also why Congress just passed legislation to lower gun restrictions🤷🏽*♂️

No they did that to make America a freer place.

daman824

No they did that to make America a freer place.
Sure, maybe they should just allow everyone to buy and sell guns without permits then, make it even more free. Hell, if they want to truly make this country free, they should remove every regulation they’ve ever passed on guns and ammo.

Ubername

Banned
Sure, maybe they should just allow everyone to buy and sell guns without permits then, make it even more free. Hell, if they want to truly make this country free, they should remove every regulation they’ve ever passed on guns and ammo.

Yeah, I'm with that.

tkscz

Why is it always America?

Not saying it was done because of bullying but nearly all school shootings happening because of bullying, and in the US, bullying is highly turned away from. Teachers don't do anything about it/don't pay attention, principles ignore it. And it tends to lead to suicide or school shootings.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The constitution only acknowledges the right to own weapons, right? So a complete ban on ammunition or taxing a single bullet with $5000 would solve the problem without violating the 2nd amendment.

Ubername

Banned
Not saying it was done because of bullying but nearly all school shootings happening because of bullying, and in the US, bullying is highly turned away from. Teachers don't do anything about it/don't pay attention, principles ignore it. And it tends to lead to suicide or school shootings.

Very true and sad.

The constitution only acknowledges the right to own weapons, right? So a complete ban on ammunition or taxing a single bullet with $5000 would solve the problem without violating the 2nd amendment.

But some of us like guns

xStoyax

Banned
a4f46bf1327d402868e7354043106e99.jpg

It's pretty clear that ammunition comes with the right to own guns. Arguably the only way around it is to ammend the constitution.

Durask

The sad thing is that I read this and just think: sad but it’s the fault of the us citizens. They have the power to change this system but are letting the gun-lobby dictate the future of your children.

It's not really the "gun lobby". Gun manufacturers are small fry compared to say insurance companies or real estate companies etc.

The answer is simple - gun enthusiasts are far more politically active. When they get "action emails" they call their senator, their rep, their state rep, their state senator, the governor etc. They show up at public hearings. Etc, etc.

BANGS

Banned
So nothing should be regulated because anyone who wants something will get it?

What practices from countries that *don't* have gun violence problems would you suggest our country adopt?

Their less selfish and disgusting cultures. As an American I can say we just really have such a toxic selfish culture it's insane. Everybody is either a Scrooge or a beggar, very few of us. Most of the gun violence here is done with illegally owned guns by people trying to take something from somebody else, connect the dots...

Exuro

My little sister goes to this school. I heard around 8:50 that day from my parents that there was a shooting and knew no other information. It was pretty scary and I'm glad the damage was limited but it's awful what happened. I don't understand how the fbi can investigate this guy for his online comment a while back but because he didn't have a gun then they dropped it and somehow later he can legally purchase a pistol without any suspicion. It's not to think about what could had gone differently, how it could had been worse/better. : /

RefigeKru

Banned
Their less selfish and disgusting cultures. As an American I can say we just really have such a toxic selfish culture it's insane. Everybody is either a Scrooge or a beggar, very few of us. Most of the gun violence here is done with illegally owned guns by people trying to take something from somebody else, connect the dots...

Connect the dots? Explain.

Because if you connect the dots, you'll see that other developed countries don't have this problem anymore - because we got rid of guns. So please, divulge, let us know what you're talking about.

BANGS

Banned
Taking away the guns doesn't take away the culture...

Also I fail to see how taking away legally owned guns will take away the illegally owned guns...

RefigeKru

Banned
Taking away the guns doesn't take away the culture...

Also I fail to see how taking away legally owned guns will take away the illegally owned guns...

Well, that is how the culture is changed? If you buyback the legally owned guns, all the of the illegally owned guns become 10-15 years in prison on sight. There's definitely a problem with American culture and how guns are considered a "god given right" or whatever, but you'll have to contend with that at some point. The problem is the threshold for action seems to move further and further back, I honestly think it'd take a few hundred dead in an isolated incident before you see more than just thoughts and prayers.

The problem here is you guys are basically talking in a zero-sum attitude. If we don't prevent there being 1 illegal gun after reducing their numbers, what's the point anyway?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rseyside-most-criminally-used-firearm-britain

A semi-automatic pistol seized by police after a shooting in Merseyside is believed to have been used in 19 firearms incidents in the past seven years, an extraordinary history which has emerged after a rise in gun crime in the region.

Officers found the Beretta 9000S while investigating an incident in Kirkby, north-east of Liverpool, in which a gunman fired at a vehicle in a suspected targeted attack.

Police discovered the weapon when they raided the home of 24-year-old Adam Bigley the following day, hidden in a bathroom behind boxed-in pipes. His DNA, along with that of at least three other people, was found on the safety catch of the weapon.

Think about it for a second. Think about the impact that this one gun had within the region, and the difficulty that comes along with replacing it.

Criminilisation does well to funnel the weaponry into the hands of the less desirable, no doubt. But it also allows the police force to better tailor resources and further reduce proliferation. This is why the Chicago argument always falls flat, because you can easily import guns from the neighbouring states.

Remember, all of this is step 1. No one asking for change expects it to happen overnight, at the flip of a switch.

BANGS

Banned
-You're completely missing the point that the problem with our culture has nothing to do with our love of legally owned guns and everything to do with taking what's not yours by any means necessary...

-You're obsession with taking guns away falls flat, ironically in the same exact way you say the "Chicago argument" falls flat. If you think American criminals won't be able to get them, you're fucking hilarious.

-Yes, let's make the guns illegal and jail people we find who own said guns. That will really work. It's been working really great with crack and heroin... and even GUNS!

-More importantly, you're forgetting that we have the right to bear arms specifically so the government can't disarm us. This isn't something you can just legislate away, it will be a straight up war...

RefigeKru

Banned
-You're completely missing the point that the problem with our culture has nothing to do with our love of legally owned guns and everything to do with taking what's not yours by any means necessary...

Surely facilitated by the amount of guns available no? lol

-You're obsession with taking guns away falls flat, ironically in the same exact way you say the "Chicago argument" falls flat. If you think American criminals won't be able to get them, you're fucking hilarious.

Re-read my post - I'm certain after any change in their legality the first people to retain them would be criminals (especially if proposed changes make possession of a particular gun illegal, you become a criminal by default if caught, the entire point). Reduce the amount of guns available and maybe your police might not have to gun men down so frequently.

-Yes, let's make the guns illegal and jail people we find who own said guns. That will really work. It's been working really great with crack and heroin... and even GUNS!

I mean, the war on drugs was just pretence to lock up black folks and hippies. But since guns aren't drugs, decriminalisation seems to be the preferred course of action outside of the US (bit like getting rid of guns eh?). Hell, if you think about it - every time this happens some Republican nutcase suggests more guns might help, can't hurt to try to opposite surely.

-More importantly, you're forgetting that we have the right to bear arms specifically so the government can't disarm us. This isn't something you can just legislate away, it will be a straight up war...

Let's not even entertain that notion m8. Gotta say, it's funny that you post this because Jim Jeffries' stand up brings up a similar point haha.

Anyway..

In the United Kingdom, access by the general public to firearms is tightly controlled by law which is much more restrictive than the minimum rules required by the European Firearms Directive, but it is less restrictive in Northern Ireland. The country has one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world.[1] There were 0.05 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants in the five years to 2011 (15 to 38 people per annum). Gun homicides accounted for 2.4% of all homicides in the year 2011.[2] There is some concern over the availability of illegal firearms.[3][4][5] Office for National Statistics figures show 7,866 offences in which firearms were involved in the year ending March 2015, 2% up on the previous year and the first increase in 10 years. Of these 19 were fatalities, 10 fewer than the previous year and the lowest since records began in 1969.[6] There was a further rise to 8,399 in the year ending March 2016, the highest number in four years, but significantly lower than the all-time high of 24,094 in 2003/04. Twenty-six resulted in fatal injuries.

Members of the public may own sporting rifles and shotguns, subject to licensing, but handguns were effectively banned after the Dunblane school massacre in 1996 with the exception of Northern Ireland. Dunblane was the UK's first and only school shooting. There has been one spree killing since Dunblane, in June 2010 involving a legally owned shotgun.

We managed to get on top of our problem pretty sharpish. Wasn't the Las Vegas dude murdering with weaponry acquired through legal means too? Try keep on topic, I only speak on this threads because they're mass shootings - a uniquely American problem.

BANGS

Banned
I mean, the war on drugs was just pretence to lock up black folks and hippies. But since guns aren't drugs, decriminalisation seems to be the preferred course of action outside of the US (bit like getting rid of guns eh?).

Oh I'm sorry... I didn't realize you were a joke account. Move along...

BANGS

Banned
No, I'm just smarter than you.

lmfao, so smart that you think decriminalizing drugs has the same effect as banning guns...

You can't warp reality around you to fit your narrative. Well I mean obviously you can, but you can't expect people who don't live in your warped reality to be able to make any sense of it...

Dude Abides

Banned
lmfao, so smart that you think decriminalizing drugs has the same effect as banning guns...

You can't warp reality around you to fit your narrative. Well I mean obviously you can, but you can't expect people who don't live in your warped reality to be able to make any sense of it...

Lol. Saying this after post after post of moronic twaddle about a "selfish culture" that make you sound like a demented octagenarian sitting in a dark room full of stacks of newspapers you've been collecting since 1965.

BANGS

Banned
Lol. Saying this after post after post of moronic twaddle about a "selfish culture" that make you sound like a demented octagenarian sitting in a dark room full of stacks of newspapers you've been collecting since 1965.

You got a problem with octagenarians Sonny Jim?

RefigeKru

Banned

edit: sorry to everyone else, I've not adverse to slumming it every now and again.

I_D

False equivocation.

People want to do drugs. Most people do not want to shoot other people.

Prohibition also has made getting drugs much more difficult. Street prices are faaaaaaaar higher than store prices in legal states.

If the same effect happened for guns, it would stop almost all shooters from actually obtaining a gun.

BANGS

Banned

Awwww, I broke it...

False equivocation.

People want to do drugs. Most people do not want to shoot other people.

False equivocation.

Most people want to buy guns to protect themselves, not to murder. Yes, this includes criminals, who are protecting themselves against cops and other criminals...

Prohibition also has made getting drugs much more difficult. Street prices are faaaaaaaar higher than store prices in legal states.

This hasn't made getting drugs more difficult. Street prices are based on supply and demand, if prices are high that's because demand is high, as supply is never low speaking from experience. All this does is cause MORE violence as the sellers try to profit as much as possible, and addicted desperate users do anything for their next fix. It does nothing to deter people from actually using the drugs, just causing even more damage in the process...

If the same effect happened for guns, it would stop almost all shooters from actually obtaining a gun.

LMFAO great evidence there buddy. All you've shown is if guns become illegal, there would be alot MORE deaths as people kill eachother over whatever guns they can get thier hands on... just like drugs...

I_D

False equivocation.

Most people want to buy guns to protect themselves, not to murder. Yes, this includes criminals, who are protecting themselves against cops and other criminals...

You just proved my point. The image I quoted was talking about people being shot.
If people are buying guns to defend themselves, then very few people will be shot, and those who are shot will be in the act of committing a crime.

This hasn't made getting drugs more difficult. Street prices are based on supply and demand, if prices are high that's because demand is high, as supply is never low speaking from experience. All this does is cause MORE violence as the sellers try to profit as much as possible, and addicted desperate users do anything for their next fix. It does nothing to deter people from actually using the drugs, just causing even more damage in the process....
If you don't think finding drug dealers via connections isn't more difficult than walking into a store to buy them legally, I dunno what to tell you, other than that you're wrong.
People who can buy weed in legal states pay basically nothing compared to street prices. Prohibition has absolutely made it harder to obtain drugs.

LMFAO great evidence there buddy. All you've shown is if guns become illegal, there would be alot MORE deaths as people kill eachother over whatever guns they can get thier hands on... just like drugs...
If even remotely the same price increase which happened for drugs on the black market happened for guns, almost nobody would able to afford them.
California's $10 of weed cost $60+ here in Virginia. If guns which cost $100+ saw the same increase, very few people would pay the money to get one. If your concern is gang-related crime, then I agree that many gangs could still afford massively-expensive weapons. The gang violence caused to non-gang members, though, is not nearly as frequent as gang:gang violence. It's not a perfect fix, but it would certainly slow down things like mass-shootings, almost all of which are caused by non-gang members.

Would it stop the problem entirely? Of course not.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/mass-shootings-in-america/
The average age of shooters ranges from 20-49.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/24/how-much-americans-earn-at-every-age.html
We know that the average income of most people within this age would prohibit them from affording a gun at black-market prices. Again, it wouldn't stop every single person, but it would stop a lot.

Not to mention that finding a black market gun dealer is probably a bit harder than your average weed dealer. That's anecdotal, but I'd bet just about anything that the market for illegal gun-purchasers is a bit less than the market for weed-buyers.
Then, in a perfect world, if you take into account that buying drugs would be legalized, the amount of people who even deal in selling illegal assets would severely diminish. Moving up to buying guns from drugs isn't that far-fetched in today's world, but if you eliminate the drug dealers, finding gun dealers is quite a bit more difficult.

BANGS

Banned
We can agree that legalizing drugs will severely reduce gun violence, but that's about where our agreements end lmfao

Top Bottom