• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gifted |OT| Mondays on FOX at 9/8c

Dereck

jlhtoZr.png

https://www.fox.com/the-gifted/

Family adventure series THE GIFTED, from 20th Century Fox Television in association with Marvel Television, tells the story of a suburban couple whose ordinary lives are rocked by the sudden discovery that their children possess mutant powers. Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive. Written by Matt Nix (APB, “Burn Notice”), directed by Bryan Singer (the “X-Men” franchise”) and executive-produced by Nix, Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner (“X-Men: Apocalypse,” “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” “The Wolverine”), Simon Kinberg (“X-Men: Apocalypse,” “X-Men: Days of Future Past”), Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones”) and Jim Chory (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones”), the series stars Stephen Moyer (SHOTS FIRED), Amy Acker (“Person of Interest”), Sean Teale (“Reign”), Jamie Chung (GOTHAM), Coby Bell (“Burn Notice”), Emma Dumont (“Aquarius”), Blair Redford (“Satisfaction”), Natalie Alyn Lind (GOTHAM) and Percy Hynes White (“Night at the Museum 3”).

http://variety.com/2017/tv/reviews/fox-the-gifted-review-x-men-1202563780/
But oddly, “The Gifted” struggles to find any of the wonder in their gifts. In what seems to be a misguided attempt to look “serious,” “The Gifted” is a gray, humorless hour oriented towards cheap-looking action sequences. It could have withstood a bit of mutation of its own.

Wasn't there a thread recently about the X-Men needing to evolve its metaphor?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...mart-and-exhilarating-x-men-series/712709001/
Mutants have been employed — in dozens of X-Men comics and the various feature films — as a stand-in for marginalized groups. In The Gifted, the allegory is broader, with the powerful and secretive police force tapping into fears about authoritarianism and state-sanctioned discrimination. Reed is a part of that system of oppression until it's used against him. The pilot touches on the tension between Reed and the mutants, but it seems clear the series will explore this territory further in future episodes.
The Gifted looks and feels different from other superhero series on TV, and Monday's premiere backs up that novelty with smart storytelling and strong characters

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...-foxs-new-marvel-mutant-drama-is-a-ton-of-fun
Thankfully, Fox's The Gifted is a crowd-pleaser, providing all of the high-stakes action, social drama and humorous fun of an X-Men movie -- not to mention powerful abilities -- but without needing to rely on the multimedia franchise's mutants to win viewers over.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/27/the-gifted-exposed-review
The Gifted delivers everything you’d expect from a show based in the world of the X-Men and nothing more. It tackles the troubles and tragedies of being a mutant from every angle. Mutants are aplenty and use a variety of different powers. And there’s even a new spin on the Sentinels to keep things interesting (and stay within a TV budget). Just the right amount of drama and tension make it all come together as a solid, enjoyable show. It may not be as thought-provoking as Legion, but it doesn’t try to be. The Gifted just wants to be an entertaining show in the world of the X-Men, and that it manages to do that without any actual A-list X-Men is a win all by itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/arts/television/marvels-inhumans-the-gifted-review.html
The “Gifted” pilot is all the things “Inhumans” isn’t: quick, tense, funny, occasionally moving. Exposition is at a minimum and the obligatory speeches about intolerance and conformity are kept short. Mutant abilities — telekinesis, teleportation, fire rays — are straightforward and effectively filmed.

Dysun

I wasn't sold on the show based on the previews we had seen, but the early reviews have made me reconsider.

Oh right, this exists. Not particularly excited about the concept but the reviews sound promising enough so I'll watch the pilot. I hope we'll get an actual X-Men show at some point though. Or better yet, Generation X, set in the 90s.

Pachimari

Fuck yes I'm ready for this. Most anticipated show besides The Runaways this season, bring it on!

I'm primarily in for Jamie Chung as Blink. I remember being so hyped for her in Gotham and she turned out to have such a minor role as a journalist, and it was likewise disappointing to see Natalie Alyn Lind as Silver only in a very small part in the same series. So I'm in for those two and see where they can bring their characters. Polaris looks great on her own too, and it'll be interesting how much they want to delve into her relationship to her father.

I've only still seen the pilot of Legion so I gotta finish that up. Maybe starting it up again today since I'm gonna finish off The Good Place; got 3 more episodes of that one left.

Sloane

Banned
Wait, it's written by Matt Nix? I thought this was another braindead "superhero" show and didn't pay attention to it at all. Cast doesn't look too shabby either... Guess I'll give it a shot.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
os shit Amy Acker is in this? Automatically obliged to watch.

I see someone mentioned Blink, so this is actually in the X-Men universe?

Looking forward to seeing how they handle the action. Hopefully this show's got some style to it.

Wonder how boring the family stuff is going to end up?

Hoping this is good, since it could be.

os shit Amy Acker is in this? Automatically obliged to watch.

I see someone mentioned Blink, so this is actually in the X-Men universe?

The commercials have been mentioning X-Men directly so it seems like it.

Yeah, interested for Acker as well.

Even though she got caught by getting carried away, I liked her frustration as they kept shooting while she was behind the wall. That opening scene was kinda nice.
Kind of like her 'tude but that she also pointed out that she wasn't trying to kill them.

Top Bottom