• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2017 | Stranger Things have happened than great mobile games

Oynox

baconcow

You could also add Pockettactics for more premium game coverage though they are a bit centric around strategy and RPGs. Furthermore there is Pocketgamer but it has abhorrent design which they promised to renew this summer but apparently did not manage to finish.

Yeah, I go to PocketGamer and PocketTactics, also, mainly for the articles. I find the forums, on TouchArcade, have better game developer interaction.

awp69

Beta Signup for Armello on iOS:
https://t.co/g96h8tDsMA

Played this a bit on PS4. Fun strategy game and really deep. Imagine it would play better on an iPad than iPhone. Signed up for the beta to check it out.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is on sale for $.99 from $6.99. Great game. There is one huge IAP ($24.99) for a new season with additional cards and modes that I have not bought but it is certainly not required to enjoy the original game. There are other cheaper expansion packs not listed on the store as well. Again, the base game will provide plenty of enjoyment.

Sentinels of the Multiverse by Handelabra Studio LLC
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sentinels-of-the-multiverse/id923772792?mt=8

HotHamBoy

Beta Signup for Armello on iOS:
https://t.co/g96h8tDsMA

Armello is amazing

Played this a bit on PS4. Fun strategy game and really deep. Imagine it would play better on an iPad than iPhone. Signed up for the beta to check it out.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is on sale for $.99 from $6.99. Great game. There is one huge IAP ($24.99) for a new season with additional cards and modes that I have not bought but it is certainly not required to enjoy the original game. There are other cheaper expansion packs not listed on the store as well. Again, the base game will provide plenty of enjoyment.

Sentinels of the Multiverse by Handelabra Studio LLC
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sentinels-of-the-multiverse/id923772792?mt=8

Sentinels is well-worth it at full price for most people.

For me, I really just can't get past the art. I know there is a good game there but all the art looks like it was made by an amateur high school kid who read a lot of Chris Hart "How to Draw Superheroes" books and just pirated his first copy of Photoshop.

I mean, look at it:

1-introduction.jpg

pic11119441.jpg

awp69

The Talos Principle:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-talos-principle/id1250484428?mt=8

Such a small price for the amount of content (especially if the DLC is included) and it looks, from the captures, really great with realtime shadows and everything. Will double dip just to see how the Serious Engine looks on my iPad.

Edit: MFi controller supported, the DLC is not in yet but could be patched in eventually.

Wow. That’s cheap! And kind of surprising. It was like $19.99 for all the content when it was first released for Shield over on Google Play and is still $9.99 for the full version.

Guess that’s the price for timed exclusivity. I might pick it up again for $4.99 for my phone!

Edit: looks like they just reduced the Shield version to $4.99 as well

awp69

Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOSPnOZnKYA

Could potentially be the next benchmark for graphics on iOS, especially with that sweet 60fps target.

Not sure it’s hitting 60 FPS on my iPhone 6S Plus. Touch controls still leave a bit to be desired. It’s also a battery hog and phone gets quite hot. Looks great.

All that said, it’s still an awesome game and plays well enough to still be enjoyed. If you have the option to play on something like PS4, where it’s currently on sale for like $12.49 (deluxe edition that includes DLC) that would be the preferred method still IMO.

Can’t complain too much about having it on the go though!

killercow

The Talos Principle is quite gorgeous even if it’s not rendering at native res (and as a bit of pop-in) but it’s a smooth 60fps on my iPad Pro 10.5.

awp69

The Talos Principle is quite gorgeous even if it’s not rendering at native res (and as a bit of pop-in) but it’s a smooth 60fps on my iPad Pro 10.5.

Must only be certain devices that have 60 FPS. Definitely doesn’t seem to be 60 on the The 6S Plus. Looks beautiful and smooth enough but not 60 FPS.

Definitely a must buy for anyone who hasn’t played the game or doesn’t have access to play on PC/console.

Like I said, I enjoyed it enough to double dip. Didn’t even do that for The Witness.

—

On another note, can it just be October 19th already?!?! I want my Warhammer Quest 2. Like. Now.

I’m loving it.
Fantasy dungeon adventures at its finest, the true heir of the original one.
Is it still very dungeon focused? The first had different towns and that cool pop-up book aesthetic but it was just one dungeon after the other

I felt like it didn't have much of a sense of adventure

PittaGAF

Is it still very dungeon focused? The first had different towns and that cool pop-up book aesthetic but it was just one dungeon after the other

I felt like it didn't have much of a sense of adventure

Well, it’s still Warhammer Quest, so dungeon exploring is still its signature.
No base management or shit like that (which I hate). Personally I love it and I really feel like a warband adventuring in a war ravaged land.
It’s also GORGEOUS, like a living diorama.
If one liked the previous one, or dungeon crawling board games that are all the rage lately, he will love this one.

awp69

Well, it’s still Warhammer Quest, so dungeon exploring is still its signature.
No base management or shit like that (which I hate). Personally I love it and I really feel like a warband adventuring in a war ravaged land.
It’s also GORGEOUS, like a living diorama.
If one liked the previous one, or dungeon crawling board games that are all the rage lately, he will love this one.

Sounds good to me. I’m not into base management and that crap either. Don’t mind some towns and stuff but the dungeon crawling itself is what I enjoy most so I’m counting down the days.

Have any idea how much it will cost? Of course, anything other than F2P works for me but just curious.

The Talos Principle:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-talos-principle/id1250484428?mt=8

Such a small price for the amount of content (especially if the DLC is included) and it looks, from the captures, really great with realtime shadows and everything. Will double dip just to see how the Serious Engine looks on my iPad.

Edit: MFi controller supported, the DLC is not in yet but could be patched in eventually.
Sweet, I was literally just wondering when/if Talos Principle was going to come to phones (I think around when Witness came out).

Sweet, I was literally just wondering when/if Talos Principle was going to come to phones (I think around when Witness came out).
Got it on PS4 since it’s currently on sale there, but Talos is like the perfect fit for mobile. Even more so than The Witness, since the game is divided into nice puzzle chunks to solve.

PittaGAF

Sounds good to me. I’m not into base management and that crap either. Don’t mind some towns and stuff but the dungeon crawling itself is what I enjoy most so I’m counting down the days.

Have any idea how much it will cost? Of course, anything other than F2P works for me but just curious.

It’s premium but I really don’t know the price.
I guess it will be similar to the first one, even if I feel there is much more content here.
I can’t really say much but, as they showed it in the trailer....yes there are towns and stuff ;)

The Talos Principle looks awful on the new iPad Pro. Clearly not native res, terrible texture quality, poor draw distance and no af. The Witness looks incredible in comparison.

No graphical options. Eye blinding on a 12.9

Got it on PS4 since it’s currently on sale there, but Talos is like the perfect fit for mobile. Even more so than The Witness, since the game is divided into nice puzzle chunks to solve.
I think I bought it on Steam no more than a few months ago when it was on sale there too, haha.

I agree that it'll probably be a great portable game for me, I just need to find out how it'll run on my iPad Mini 2 first before picking it up on iOS.

I never played the first one so I don't know if this was expected but holy cow does Into The Dead 2 have whole lot of freemium elements. An energy system on top of currency IAPs on top of a subscription service that doesn't even get rid of the energy.

Jarsonot

If you're into MOBAs, Arena of Valor is coming out soon. You can preregister now, gets you a champion skin and some gems.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I never played the first one so I don't know if this was expected but holy cow does Into The Dead 2 have whole lot of freemium elements. An energy system on top of currency IAPs on top of a subscription service that doesn't even get rid of the energy.

On the flip side, you can get every weapon and play through the whole game that cost us a couple of million dollars for free and without ever having to watch an ad.

On the flip side, you can get every weapon and play through the whole game that cost us a couple of million dollars for free and without ever having to watch an ad.
I would have much preferred ads with an ad-removal IAP instead of an energy system. I actually like the gameplay but being confined to only play a few games at a time feels limiting. Also subscription models always rubbed me the wrong way. I don't know if this game is different but I payed for a subscription to another game a while back and while the game allowed offline play, it disabled subscription benefits if you ever did go offline. Pretty annoying.

Edit: Just to let you know Mario, I do intend to stick with the game besides all that because the gameplay is just so freaking fun. You guys at Pik Pok did awesome in the gameplay department!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I would have much preferred ads with an ad-removal IAP instead of an energy system. I actually like the gameplay but being confined to only play a few games at a time feels limiting. Also subscription models always rubbed me the wrong way. I don't know if this game is different but I payed for a subscription to another game a while back and while the game allowed offline play, it disabled subscription benefits if you ever did go offline. Pretty annoying.

Edit: Just to let you know Mario, I do intend to stick with the game besides all that because the gameplay is just so freaking fun. You guys at Pik Pok did awesome in the gameplay department!

Great to know you'll stick with it.

Regarding ads with a "no ads" IAP, unfortunately, having done games built around that before, it isn't a very effective monetization model. The uptake of no ads IAP in our experience and that of others is really low, and banner and interstitial ads don't typically provide good revenues unless you have a ton of downloads and great retention. You typically only see it with simple, cheap to make games. We wouldn't have made the game given the scale of investment required if that was our only or intended monetization model.

We try to find a good balance with our free to play games in that while we use IAP and rewarded video in a lot of different ways, you can typically experience all of the content and modes without having to pay a thing which is pretty much the case with Into the Dead 2 (I think some of the dog companions are currently locked behind IAP but there are downstream plans to reward those in Survival Mode).

killercow

The Talos Principle is still so good. Couldn't stop playing last night and 100% the first world. Controls like a dream with the virtual gamepad (that's even easier to use for me than a gamepad) and the puzzles are great. Indeed a great fit for shorter sessions since every puzzle takes place in small "rooms".

Do games ever get patched with graphics options? Talos looks distractingly bad on the 12.9 inch screen and that’s without even comparing to the pc version I’m familiar with. The Witness is battery heavy but looks incredible.

killercow

Do games ever get patched with graphics options? Talos looks distractingly bad on the 12.9 inch screen and that’s without even comparing to the pc version I’m familiar with. The Witness is battery heavy but looks incredible.

I've asked Croteam if we'll ever get graphical settings like the PC version but no answer for now.

Hey thanks for including our game REKT! in the list OP! It's really doing well globally and glad to see it here on my favorite forum.

I've got some downloadcodes for you all! Post if you've claimed them and I'd like to hear your impressions on the game as well as we are constantly working on updates.

H434E7YMLW4Y
WFAH4RWNNH4E
HXXTX97XLW6X

And as a bonus a high res phone wallpaper here: https://imgur.com/a/W1Zlw

Enjoy guys! #getrekt

nampad

Hey thanks for including our game REKT! in the list OP! It's really doing well globally and glad to see it here on my favorite forum.

I've got some downloadcodes for you all! Post if you've claimed them and I'd like to hear your impressions on the game as well as we are constantly working on updates.

H434E7YMLW4Y
WFAH4RWNNH4E
HXXTX97XLW6X

Enjoy guys! #getrekt

Looks like lurkers took WFAH4RWNNH4E and HXXTX97XLW6X. Thanks anyway though.

colinp

Banned

H434E7YMLW4Y
WFAH4RWNNH4E
HXXTX97XLW6X

Enjoy guys! #getrekt

I mentioned in the previous thread but I guess you missed, I scored ~100,000 one run and then the next ~200,000 but it only unlocked the 120,000 car. I think that’s kinda chintzy it doesn’t unlock all cars below the 200,000 points requirement. Any chance we can see that change in the future?

Congrats on its success!

Vuze

Thanks for the heads up! Check your pm!
You (and every other generous dev or GAFfer reading this) should consider using ModBot for GAF giveaways in the future: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=858592. No outside and inside lurkers grabbing codes without going unnoticed :D Seems like the bot is unheard of outside of SteamGAF 🤔

Can’t wait for Christmas sale this year, I’ve got quite a bit of expensive-ish games on my wishlist that i hope to see discounted. I wonder if it makes sense to buy apps on foreign AppStores? I know updates are (have been?) restricted to the account you bought from which is annoying. Apps have gotten “really” expensive in Europe over the years (much like Apple hardware itself) from 0,79€ to now 1,09€ base price. Obviously more pronounced the higher we move up the tier’.

Oynox

H434E7YMLW4Y
WFAH4RWNNH4E
HXXTX97XLW6X

Enjoy guys! #getrekt

To late to the party. A pitty lurkers got two of them. Congrats on your success with the game!

awp69

Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate II and Steamworld Heist are all on sale for $4.99. Planescape: Torment $6.99.

Glitchskier and Color Magnet are $.99.

Is The World Ends With You still good with ios11? I heard the 64 bit thing might cause issues but I don’t know where everything landed on that

Top Bottom