• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders |OT| Featuring The Worst Iron Fist - August 18th on Netflix

Neoxon

Honestly, I'd be okay with Luke Cage & Iron Fist being lumped together as Heroes for Hire after their respective 2nd seasons. Their chemistry was pretty damn solid in Defenders & I'd love to see more of them together.

Vic_Viper

Who could be the next big bad that Netflix sets up after the Defenders? I havent finished it yet, but I was wondering where they could go with these guys next if they were to ever team up again. Every show so far aside from Luke and JJ has featured the Hand in some form and lead directly into the Defenders. I cant think of any other villans with organizations for these characters to take on, aside from maybe Kingpin and the mob lol.

Spider-Man is still a Sony character right now. And I imagine the contract Holland signed probably only pertains to Marvel (specifically Avengers) films, and he'd have to maybe sign a separate agreement for TV shows.

Not to mention the budget requirement to get Spidey on-screen. As is, Iron Fist is the most visually demanding special effect on-screen, and it's comparatively simple. Some LED's around his wrist, and a short bit of CG effects simulation when people get knocked back. Jessica Jones completely cuts around her flying, and Luke Cage's bulletproofness is often just breakable props and squibs. Almost every time Spidey is actually in action in the new movies, he's CG. Even if he's just standing there, his eyes are still CG.

They could get away with some more mentions here or there as long as they don't get gratuitous. But the politics around getting other heroes to appear here are far more complicated.

The only crossover that hasn't happened and really bugs me is that SHIELD really probably should've approached Luke Cage or Jessica Jones by now.
Yeah. I mean, I don't expect to see him (or anyone), per se, for those very reasons, but it would have worked just as well to mention him.

Also, regarding the timeline, Stark Tower blowing up in IM3 should be worth at least mentioning, no?

PsychBat!

Banned
Who could be the next big bad that Netflix sets up after the Defenders? I havent finished it yet, but I was wondering where they could go with these guys next if they were to ever team up again. Every show so far aside from Luke and JJ has featured the Hand in some form and lead directly into the Defenders. I cant think of any other villans with organizations for these characters to take on, aside from maybe Kingpin and the mob lol.
Fisk/Mariah/Shades/Diamondback
Verdict guys? Should i resub?
I thought it was worth it imo

Shy

Just finished it. Meh, it was alright.

I didn't think it was possible for the fight choreography, camera work and editing to get worse as the show went on. But it did.

Danny was the worse aspect of the series. But that was to be expected.

Verdict guys? Should i resub?

Pay $10 to see 8 hours of pretty damn good Marvel TV? Yeah... yeah...

EDIT: Why? Daredevil choreography (IMO so far - on episode 6). Great writing and interactions between the four characters. I liked Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil, and this show is great IMO.

Sorry folks but I just wish they'd kill Iron Fist off. No offense to Finn, I don't think it's his acting.

Neoxon

They would work fine in the solo series but defently not big enough to bring these characters together again for another Defenders season.
Hence why smaller crossovers like Heroes for Hire or Daughters of the Dragon would be great ideas going forward.

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, or if I am just now realizing something I missed from Jessica Jones' main show...

But DAMN, they love to make her butt the focus of a shot.

Vic_Viper

Hence why smaller crossovers like Heroes for Hire or Daughters of the Dragon would be great ideas going forward.

Completely agree. I have a feeling the Hand will be around till the end though lol, in some form or another. I could see them bringing in Davos to run the Hand with the Cranes or using Stone in a similar role as Gorgon (if he is owned by Fox).

It's alright, there's a lot to criticize, but ultimately I felt it was worth it due to seeing them interact, with Matt and Jessica being the standouts. It's only because it was 8 episodes that I'm not here feeling like my time was wasted.
Thats good to hear! Let the binge watch begin!

Neoxon

Completely agree. I have a feeling the Hand will be around till the end though lol, in some form or another. I could see them bringing in Davos to run the Hand with the Cranes or using Stone in a similar role as Gorgon (if he is owned by Fox).
I can see that happening. Still, I hope we get more of Luke & Danny (as well we Colleen & Misty) working together in the near future.

LiamR

Finished it. I was so disappointed. After a few fun episodes, the plot went absolutely nowhere and was capped off by repetitive, weirdly edited fight sequences and
an entirely inconsequential death fake-out that was hard to feel anything for because it was so obvious they were not going to kill off arguably the biggest hero in any of these shows.

I had been looking forward to this for years. I liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones; even Luke Cage to a point. I'm not sure what I expected, but I thought there was a greater plan for these shows and their interconnecting plots that would justify watching them all. I thought all this set-up like the hole in the ground would amount to something worthwhile - it didn't at all. All the little hints of crossover over the past 2 years now feel ultimately meaningless. For example, Foggy going to work with Hogarth seems to have just been done for the sake of it and not for any interesting character or story reasons.
Foggy is still besties with Matt, supporting his DD shit. They might work for different companies but essentially nothing else has changed on a character level.

I stuck with these shows and even suffered through Iron Fist's series, but I think this is where I'm out unless they see a drastic step up in quality.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Episode 8.

Is that the first crumbling building in TV history that hasn't looked like shit?

3/5 for me. Felt thoroughly average. Better than IF or the tail end of Luke Cage/Daredevil S2. Altogether more consistent than most any of the Netflix Marvel series so far, but they lose out on the highs as much as they do on the lows. When Danny loosens up a little he's alright, but trying to make him the center of the drama was a bad, bad move. Jones does not have the necessary chops.

Honestly, I'd be okay with Luke Cage & Iron Fist to be lumped together as Heroes for Hire after their respective 2nd seasons. Their chemistry was pretty damn solid in Defenders & I'd love to see more of them together.

I would be okay with this.

- J - D -

Ugh why does this show focus so much on Danny.

I kinda get it, they probably feel the need to "fix" the damage the Iron Fist series did but maaaannnnnn I still am not into the character or the actor.

Beefy

Ok, then I don't know what Moffat has to do with this, because he wasn't even in charge when Tennant was on the show!

Whoever it was then. Tennant is great in Broadchurch, The Escape Artist.

boring as fuck.

they need to recast the dude playing Iron Fist.

Dude has no range sadly.

The music kicks in when
Dany knocks everyone over with the Iron Fist, why is that music cue about Luke and not Dany? His show also made it clear he's a fan of 90s rap.

It was a joke about them having to play hip hop all the time Luke is on scene

Well to be honest I loved Luke Cage. Daredevil = Luke Cage > Jessica Jones for me. Something about Luke Cage stealing all those The Wire actors.
There was Kima, and... Clay Davis? Seeing the latter just pisses me off more.

Ant-Man and Thor got Avon and String, so we probably aren't going to see them on the small screen.

EDIT: Burrell (not Clay Davis) and that shitbag lawyer, too.

Feltrol

Banned
The ending of the first episode got me goosebumps. Loving it!

However...
Where were the Avengers when all of this happened? They definitely wouldn't let it slide.

However...
Where were the Avengers when all of this happened? They definitely wouldn't let it slide.

The Avengers have to deal with super villains. They leave the defenders to deal with evil business people who maybe know kung-fu.

Hey, remember how great we made Iron Fist look? Well, these folks were all too shitty to become Iron first! Super scary!

However...
Officially,
it's just an earthquake, so it's not really something you would call the Avengers to do anything about.

As a Californian, I wouldn't even wake up for a 4.6. But I guess they're unusual in New York.

Indignate

For those who have finished, how good am I to skip Iron Fist?

Are there any important story elements that carry over or was the whole thing just a dumpster fire that they would rather try and forget about?

LotusHD

Banned
For those who have finished, how good am I to skip Iron Fist?

Are there any important story elements that carry over or was the whole thing just a dumpster fire that they would rather try and forget about?

You can skip it. Only characters that show up that you haven't met yet are Danny and Colleen. Oh, also just know that Colleen
has a sensei that returns in this.

Animator

Guys without spoiling is this better than the dumpster fire that was iron fist? I basically want to watch to see more daredevil.

Just finished it. Mixed feelings, bad episodes 1-2, good 3-6, bad 7-8.

Better than Iron Fist, but that's not hard.

How the hell do you cast Sigourney Fucking Weaver and just...waste her.

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished it. Mixed feelings, bad episodes 1-2, good 3-6, bad 7-8.

Better than Iron Fist, but that's not hard.

How the hell do you cast Sigourney Fucking Weaver and just...waste her.

I don't understand the reviews that were praising her performance, she was pretty bad. Whole dynamic with Elektra was also very weird.

Top Bottom