• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Lain

1001746f.jpg

And my main pawn.

I like your pawn, even if the forehead is a bit too much even for me.

Here is my protagonist
IMAG0198.jpg

A bit derpy looking but he will have a helmet on so no biggy
Here is my pawn who I am much happier about.
IMAG0199.jpg

Not only did I find the great haircut to hide the scar, but it also has enough volume to hide the majority of the elf ears. I didn't want her to be super smoking hot or kawaii uguu, she is petite but she actually looks like she could kick someone's ass. Her name is vespian, ps3
Edit: I've changed her eyes to be a bit more neutral, never noticed how lopsided they were...

Anteater

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/04/26/the_weaponry_of_dragons_dogma

Never noticed this dev blog, talks about weapons in the game, and this got my attention:

Mage
Main: Staff (Small staff – you might think you’re gonna bash enemies with these, but actually you fire magic bullets from them.)
Sub: None (Mages’ strength is the number of skills they can equip.)

So does that mean a mage will allow 6 spells to be equipped?

Edit: seems to be the case with warriors too, another thing is that they don't mention about being able to equip staff for Mystic knight anymore

and what the hell does this mean:

There are several different ways for you to acquire weapons: as a reward for defeating enemies, from treasure chests, as loot, presents, DLC… And it’s unlikely you’ll get all of them on your first playthrough. If you come across a weapon you’ve never seen before, it’s possibly DLC or there’s still stuff for you to do in the game!

You'll come across a DLC weapon? wut

Once pawn is covered in armor can't see shit about them really so hopefully there are some sex scenes where you actually see their faces close up in-game.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Showed one of my long time friends who i've been through all the dmcs... onimusha... NG other stuff with this game and he was so psyched after I broke down how the controls play out and the very DMC styled aspects of the fighting system. I actually didn't know about holding down triangle as the fighter... it does a stab then leads to a shield bash. So fuckin sweet.

well no, I cant find the cliff to get rid of my followers... does anyone can link a video or a has a screenshot to see were exactly is?

Lucent

IMAG0199.jpg

Not only did I find the great haircut to hide the scar, but it also has enough volume to hide the majority of the elf ears. I didn't want her to be super smoking hot or kawaii uguu, she is petite but she actually looks like she could kick someone's ass. Her name is vespian, ps3
Edit: I've changed her eyes to be a bit more neutral, never noticed how lopsided they were...

So, you did know you can make her scar free and change the ears to normal if you wanted, right? Just make'n sure. Because the way you said that, it sounded like you picked a pre-made body and altered some stuff but didn't realize you could change those other things. Unless you just mean you wanted her to have a scar and elf ears, but not have it stand out so much. Like SHE is try'n to hide things. Then it makes sense.

=P

So, you did know you can make her scar free and change the ears to normal if you wanted, right? Just make'n sure. Because the way you said that, it sounded like you picked a pre-made body and altered some stuff but didn't realize you could change those other things. Unless you just mean you wanted her to have a scar and elf ears, but not have it stand out so much. Like SHE is try'n to hide things. Then it makes sense.

=P

Yeah I did pick a premade body but only to use as a template, I made a lot of very small changes because the template that I did find was very similar to what I was looking for. But you're right on the money, those things are supposed to be hidden/obscured. I really hope people pick my pawn and actually notice those little things. I will definitely take really good looks at everyone else's characters.

Lucent

demo still jpn only?

No it's available for everyone now.

EDIT:
Yeah I did pick a premade body but only to use as a template, I made a lot of very small changes because the template that I did find was very similar to what I was looking for. But you're right on the money, those things are supposed to be hidden/obscured. I really hope people pick my pawn and actually notice those little things. I will definitely take really good looks at everyone else's characters.

Yeah that makes sense. And I also used premade bodies for my characters and altered them a bit to get the details I wanted. They have enough body types available anyone should be able to use one to get close to what they wanted. I'll probably post pics of my characters tomorrow. I need a site to upload them to or something.

Schwabe

in this video you see my current chara/pawn combo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyDQaSjAd-4

i don't think it will last until the game is released, i changed my character every day O,o footage is from the PS3 version.

i also tried out playing without the enemies health bars. i am thinking about doing it with the full game. it's nice to select between no ones, only group or all.

still angry that i didn't kill it while it was in the air though :( so close!

in this video you see my current chara/pawn combo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyDQaSjAd-4

i don't think it will last until the game is released, i changed my character every day O,o footage is from the PS3 version.

i also tried out playing without the enemies health bars. i am thinking about doing it with the full game. it's nice to select between no ones, only group or all.

still angry that i didn't kill it while it was in the air though :( so close!

man the animation on the Griffon is just ....insane

Capgod is totatlly applicable in this regard

wanders

I still can't make up my mind what to make my main pawn, mage seems to be the most useful one and I want to make sure I have healing spells for health and status ailments since I don't want to carry 200 herbs with me, and they could buff you.

Judging from the demo strider pawn seems pretty useless and not that good of a damage dealer unless they're buffed, maybe a sniper is much better.
Also Strider and Mage seem like a good pair.

This game kinda reminds me of FF Versus XIII. Like in the Versus trailer when when the game shows gameplay from one.of the comrades with gun on an open grassy field it reminds me of the shooting mechanic in Dragon's Dogma when firing arrows in a similar location. Probably the only similarity and maybe the open world lol

The character creator is pretty limited with wider and more square jaws for females models. What there is is usually due to being for an overweight character model.

I changed each feature of the face, but it still looks similar to the last one, although closer to what you want. Still, it's not all that close.

Fwoth.jpg
laUEf.jpg

Anteater

So I downloaded the demo again for my region, it appears that it doesn't use the data I made with the JP demo, so I think it might be region specific, I wrote down the info from my main character and remade her and too lazy to do the same for my pawn so it gave me an excuse to make a new one

I tried quite a few variations on different accounts too, they really should just let you create multiple characters :p

I would make a male character but I wasn't happy with most of the face templates, couldn't get them to look exactly the way I want it

demigod

The character creator is pretty limited with wider and more square jaws for females models. What there is is usually due to being for an overweight character model.

I changed each feature of the face, but it still looks similar to the last one, although closer to what you want. Still, it's not all that close.

Fwoth.jpg
laUEf.jpg

What's the sliders for these?

Played the demo yesterday. Love it.
The best part was pausing it to change my sons diaper and when I came back it was night time on the griffin battle. The lighting is amazing.

What's the sliders for these?

With leftmost point on the sliders being 1:

Head:
Hairstyle: 31, row 3 5th color
Face Shape: 10, Size - 4, row 2 first color
Eye: 23, Vertical - 1, Spacing - 1, Size - 4, Color - row 3 5th color
Brows: 23, Vertical - 1, Spacing - 5
Nose: 2, Vertical - 2, Size - 2
Mouth: 17, Vertical - 3
Ears: 16, Vertical - 1, Position - 5

Body:
Stature: Height - 7, Weight - 1