• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

So it has offline play but only 50 people selected to test the online servers can play? why didn't these useless fucks whitelist those PSN usernames selected for online beta duty and allow everybody else to sample the game offline?

Audioboxer

I refuse to believe nobody took a single, direct-feed, .png screenshot.
If they let you stream with PS4 share button I'm sure you can take a screenshot as well, right?

How many gaffers got the beta? Just buldrhm? Where he at

EDIT: top of the page, here's 30 mins of footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qufTQN5qyeY

Looks like.... GT :p

Only a 720p capture? Still, lighting system looks impressive as always. Which makes lack of dynamic changes so painful. They are gorgeous in Driveclub, and as good as its lighting is, GT is the king.

Only a 720p capture? Still, lighting system looks impressive as always. Which makes lack of dynamic changes so painful. They are gorgeous in Driveclub, and as good as its lighting is, GT is the king.
I miss the volumetric clouds. After Driveclub and Horizon Zero Dawn seeing a static skybox is depressing.

Even Forza Horizon has moving clouds in its skybox.

farisr

And this is one of the reasons I'm hoping, despite what they're saying to try and sell this game, that a proper GT7 is in the works.

GT5 set the bar in regards to lighting and weather expectations from these sim titles. When every game in the genre, largely feature the same locations and tracks due to the nature of the games, for a casual fan like me who is playing these as a general racing title for fun and single player progression, dynamic ToD is essential, especially for the longer races that happen as the career progresses.

Lack of these features, plus reduced offline/SP focus with an increased online focus means I'm passing on this game. But still, I try to keep up with the news, because I have hope that somehow maybe this delay will lead them to implement such features, or possibly implement a better offline/SP mode as well.

Going a generation without GT would really suck.

(also, as an aside, it is because GT5 basically making these features feel essential to me in these kinds of games, that I haven't bought a Forza Motrosport game ever since, last one I bought was FM3.)

Inviusx

I miss the volumetric clouds. After Driveclub and Horizon Zero Dawn seeing a static skybox is depressing.

Don't forget this will be running at 60fps on the PS4 and the Pro. Sacrfices have to be made somewhere. If PD went for 30fps like Horizon or Driveclub then GT could look insanely good.

It was only 50? Was it a code? Surprised no one sold it

Would have been nice to know it was ubber limited. It's alright but definitely disappointed

Don't forget this will be running at 60fps on the PS4 and the Pro. Sacrfices have to be made somewhere. If PD went for 30fps like Horizon or Driveclub then GT could look insanely good.
Nah, the skybox doesn't bother much, just sad by it.

However, they really should improve foliage in the final release though. Right now some parts of it just look absymal.

otapnam

So it has offline play but only 50 people selected to test the online servers can play? why didn't these useless fucks whitelist those PSN usernames selected for online beta duty and allow everybody else to sample the game offline?

It was only 50? Was it a code? Surprised no one sold it

Would have been nice to know it was ubber limited. It's alright but definitely disappointed

Read the op. It's going to be a multi-staged invite as they run tests and improve the system. Hopefully they will add more users sooner than later

Pachimari

Will my invite be in my PSN inbox or in my email inbox? I checked my email and there's nothing but I'm not currently home to check my PSN inbox.

magawolaz

Will my invite be in my PSN inbox or in my email inbox? I checked my email and there's nothing but I'm not currently home to check my PSN inbox.
In the Notifications area of the PS4, apparently.

Beta will grow in size over time, going by the wording on the blog I'm sure they'll do an open beta eventually.

Read the op. It's going to be a multi-staged invite as they run tests and improve the system. Hopefully they will add more users sooner than later
Yeah I sort of got that but not gonna believe it for now.

I could understand getting in more and having sign ups again for users. Not sure what they are doing unless it's coding specifics data. Was just saying I wish they let us know it was super limited is all. Obviously isn't a huge deal just isn't like most betas, so people feel they would get to try it when it wasn'tike that.

I think they often have been bad at communicating a lot of things since forever thougo so that's just how it goes.

Still need to watch some of the videos since I got home now.

Am I right that we don't have footage of any screens that allow some car setup changes?
Only, tire compound, traction control, power and weight ratios???

Nothing like tire pressure, brake balance, camber, ride height, toe, aero, spring-rates, dampers?

But surely the game must have all that, right?? I mean FiA license, eSports and all... right?

edit: just seen that brake balance is in the traction control screen, so that is in, but seemingly not from the cockpit, which should be possible in GT3 and LMP cars for example.

magawolaz

Am I right that we don't have footage of any screens that allow some car setup changes?

Nothing like tire pressure, brake balance, camber, ride height, toe, aero, spring-rates, dampers?

But surely the game must have all that, right?? I mean FiA license, eSports and all... right?
I doubt tire pressure is in, but the rest should be.

From the Geneva build:
Ea5hPvf.png
(2:30) https://youtu.be/IdU5T-sGlDo?t=147

EDIT:
edit: just seen that brake balance is in the traction control screen, so that is in, but seemingly not from the cockpit, which should be possible in GT3 and LMP cars for example.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but at 3:30 in the same video you can see the guy messing around with TCS, brakes, etc. while driving.

I doubt tire pressure is in, but the rest should be.

From the Geneva build:

(2:30) https://youtu.be/IdU5T-sGlDo?t=147

thanks, saw the "suspension" under "brakes" but the 2 guys from streams yesterday didn't scroll down enough to show that. Good to know.

It looks very GT-hasn't-changed-a-bit. Which is kinda sad.

EDIT:

Not sure if this is what you mean, but at 3:30 in the same video you can see the guy messing around with TCS, brakes, etc. while driving.
Couldn't find where he is changing that while driving. Do you mean "while at the track" or "while driving"?

Edit:
I mean this:

JamboGT

Brake balance is on the mfd which is accessible in game.

Those have been in GT since 4, could adjust TC, ABS, Brake Balance 4wd power ratios etc.

thanks, saw the "suspension" under "brakes" but the 2 guys from streams yesterday didn't scroll down enough to show that. Good to know.

It looks very GT-hasn't-changed-a-bit. Which is kinda sad.

Couldn't find where he is changing that while driving. Do you mean "while at the track" or "while driving"? My

Edit:
I mean this:

This shit has been standard fair since GT on PS2. Lol

Good thing it never changed eh?

Give me moar media, testers!!!

Audioboxer

And this is one of the reasons I'm hoping, despite what they're saying to try and sell this game, that a proper GT7 is in the works.

GT5 set the bar in regards to lighting and weather expectations from these sim titles. When every game in the genre, largely feature the same locations and tracks due to the nature of the games, for a casual fan like me who is playing these as a general racing title for fun and single player progression, dynamic ToD is essential, especially for the longer races that happen as the career progresses.

Lack of these features, plus reduced offline/SP focus with an increased online focus means I'm passing on this game. But still, I try to keep up with the news, because I have hope that somehow maybe this delay will lead them to implement such features, or possibly implement a better offline/SP mode as well.

(also, as an aside, it is because GT5 basically making these features feel essential to me in these kinds of games, that I haven't bought a Forza Motrosport game ever since, last one I bought was FM3.)

We can hope guys, but it is what it is. I dunno what the hell goes on at PD sometimes these days.

As prestigious a developer as they are, they have more than enough dev time in their cycles to keep up with other developers. Or in this case, build upon... what they already had years ago????!

PD will never be able to please the entire crowd.

Want 60fps? sorry, it means we have to sacrifice dynamic tod and weather.

Want dynamic weather and tod? sorry, it means we have to sacrifice a stable framerate.

Audioboxer

Want dynamic weather and tod? sorry, it means we have to sacrifice a stable framerate.

That is ridiculous on PS4. They pretty much had it almost locked at 60FPS on PS3 with GT5, and that was with 1080 horizontally!

RedRum

Banned

My rule of thumb for this is that, for anything sim (racing, flight, etc) the smoother the better. 60 FPS should be standard. 30 FPS for anything else should be fine. Especially for more flash, a better artistic vision, and gameplay.

farisr

Oh please, the PS3 was a bitch to code for and they managed to get it running at 45-60fps with dynamic tod and weather at 1280x1080. PS4 being easier to code for and a newer generation console, it should absolutely be possible for them to deliver 1920x1080 60fps + dynamic TOD and weather. It's a closed circuit racer. Not open world.

It'd be one thing if those features were missing because of the whole game being designed to be playable in VR, but we know that's not the case.

It'd also be understandable if this is actually just a Prologue + rather than their intended mainline entry. But if this is supposed to be their new direction for the series and is their vision of a GT7 in everything but name and their next entry is similar to what this is providing, then it's a big, big step back and the end of the series for me.

cooldawn

See, that's how to do it. Seems like the traditional fully-custom controls are still in Gran Turismo. Other racing games need to be extensive with controller options.

Sweet.

Well they delayed it, hoping it was to add something big.

Considering GT5 had dynamic weather it is really poor for PD to be going backwards here.

GT6 came out in 2013, spare me any comments about how this should be seen as a prologue as PD need time to release something resembling GT7 :/ 4 years and counting. Or 3 years and 4 months or whatever it is, but by the time Sport comes out it'll probably be almost 4 years exactly (if they don't delay it again). PD don't get any more passes from me for ridiculous dev cycles (and now cutting a lot of features).

We can hope guys, but it is what it is. I dunno what the hell goes on at PD sometimes these days.

As prestigious a developer as they are, they have more than enough dev time in their cycles to keep up with other developers. Or in this case, build upon... what they already had years ago????!
The dynamic environments is interesting right now. Last year Kaz stated he isn't including dynamics conditions in this release and I can't see a GT7 coming anytime soon...if at all.

Now, remember years back, post Gran Turismo 5, Dan Greenawalt said to many resources are required to build a dynamic engine. It strikes me this was one of the main reasons GT5 was delayed so much...considering it was a much repeated fan request too.

I reckon there's a twist to the tale this year. Gran Turismo Sport won't have dynamics...but I think there's a good chance Forza Motorsport 7 will have it this time. I expect it to be a showstopper and usurp Sony at it's own game.

That would be...crazy!

farisr

The dynamic environments is interesting right now. Last year Kaz stated he isn't including dynamics conditions in this release and I can't see a GT7 coming anytime soon...if at all.

Now, remember years back, post Gran Turismo 5, Dan Greenawalt said to many resources are required to build a dynamic engine. It strikes me this was one of the main reasons GT5 was delayed so much...considering it was a much repeated fan request too.

I reckon there's a twist to the tale this year. Gran Turismo Sport won't have dynamics...but I think there's a good chance Forza Motorsport 7 will have it this time. I expect it to be a showstopper and usurp Sony at it's own game.

That would be...crazy!
Honestly, I have had the thought that Forza 7 may actually end up having dynamic stuff this time around too (Scorpio/PC version at least). With the regular XB1 version doing what GT Sport is doing, not using prebaked lighting or dynamic weather, but set weather before the race starts and static lighting conditions (using a non-baked lighting system) that doesn't require continuous calculations.

But then I think about how it took them 3 main entries after GT5 had released to put in night time tracks and some sort of weather options, and start to think dynamic systems won't show up till Scorpio's successor is out as their rate of improvement per entry is severely limited by their set in stone 2 year release cycle. But yeah, it won't be a proper GT replacement by any means (as I really prefer GT's handling/controls/progression over Forza's) but I will absolutely pick up FM7 if they end up having dynamic TOD.

Audioboxer

ahhhh that's not exactly true. It was more in the 50s to high 40s a majority of the time.

5 and 6 done decently well. The point is you get much more powerful hardware and cannot spring on from what you achieved before and do better with framerate?

I don't buy it, not from PD. They're suppose to be the technical wizards, not lose ground to other devs.

See, that's how to do it. Seems like the traditional fully-custom controls are still in Gran Turismo. Other racing games need to be extensive with controller options.

Sweet.

That would be...crazy!

The longer PD don't take Forza seriously the longer it will get panned by critics and slowly lose a bit of marketshare. Although Driveclub was a disaster at launch, it done a 180 of XB1 proportions and Sony still threw all of it under a bus to favour PD. The same PD who keep losing ground to T10 critically.

Going slightly OT, but at the end of the day this is PD putting out a beta and understandably I think people will continue to moan about dynamic weather and things we used to have in GT, that PD now deem surplus to requirement. With the amount of dev time between 6 and Sport PD can shove their "this is kinda like prologue and we need more time" nonsense. Or as PR will carefully put it "Sport isn't GT7!". With the amount of time it is taking for Sport to come out, we'll be on the PS8 for "GT7".

The longer PD don't take Forza seriously the longer it will get panned by critics and slowly lose a bit of marketshare. Although Driveclub was a disaster at launch, it done a 180 of XB1 proportions and Sony still threw all of it under a bus to favour PD. The same PD who keep losing ground to T10 critically.
You should be taking financials into account as well. That is what flips what you're saying on its head.

spwolf

lol. First, Sony gave them 2 extra years to finish the game, and financed it all, thats not throwing under the bus. And to 2nd, in this day and age, there is no need to be delusional about T10 competing on the same level, this isnt 2009 anymore.

FrankWza

I know pd drops the ball on a lot and the spew a ton of b.s. but just watching the streams...man. theres only 1 GT. Im fiending right now...might force me to hook up my wheel and Driveclub

Forza vs. GT alone almost made me buy an XB1 instead of a ps4.

If GT sport isn't what I need I might just buy a new video card and hope the next non Horizon Forza game runs on PC.

Audioboxer

You should be taking financials into account as well. That is what flips what you're saying on its head.

lol. First, Sony gave them 2 extra years to finish the game, and financed it all, thats not throwing under the bus. And to 2nd, in this day and age, there is no need to be delusional about T10 competing on the same level, this isnt 2009 anymore.

Yeah yeah we all know PD are the kings of making money, but it's their own legacy they are leaving behind of succumbing to poor project management and stubbornness. Kaz is becoming as close to crazy Ken as possible. As I said, competitors taking you over is often like a slow disease. It takes time to dethrone a King, but one day they can do just that if your head is so far up your own arse you keep fumbling through year after year.

Evolution Studios were ill-equipped to go from arcade fun like Motorstorm to a serious racer in one fell swoop. They buckled and failed under their pressure. However, the talent in that studio still produced what was on display, and fixed their shit. Were worthy of another chance, but fair enough, Sony prioritised PD and cut them loose. The same PD though that are still fumbling around. Evolution getting canned should have been a wake up call to Kaz. No, PD ain't getting canned, but Sony cut them (Evolution) loose for PD to carry on unchallenged on their own platform. Kaz and PD then delayed Sport again, but it seems we're still going to get a GT Prologue on steroids when this thing finally ships.

If anything let this beta be a test for them to make sure they don't have 3 months of network problems when Sport launches.

Unknown?

Yeah yeah we all know PD are the kings of making money, but it's their own legacy they are leaving behind of succumbing to poor project management and stubbornness. Kaz is becoming as close to crazy Ken as possible. As I said, competitors taking you over is often like a slow disease. It takes time to dethrone a King, but one day they can do just that if your head is so far up your own arse you keep fumbling through year after year.

Evolution Studios were ill-equipped to go from arcade fun like Motorstorm to a serious racer in one fell swoop. They buckled and failed under their pressure. However, the talent in that studio still produced what was on display, and fixed their shit. Were worthy of another chance, but fair enough, Sony prioritised PD and cut them loose. The same PD though that are still fumbling around. Evolution getting canned should have been a wake up call to Kaz. No, PD ain't getting canned, but Sony cut them (Evolution) loose for PD to carry on unchallenged on their own platform. Kaz and PD then delayed Sport again, but it seems we're still going to get a GT Prologue on steroids when this thing finally ships.

If anything let this beta be a test for them to make sure they don't have 3 months of network problems when Sport launches.

Bro Driveclub WAS their second chance.

Audioboxer

Bro Driveclub WAS their second chance.

Technically, the racing market is tough.

...and the topic begins to devolve into garbage.

Guys please. One decent thread.

Cmon man, I used to be a strident defender of PD/GT, but this change of priorities in Sport is going to get PD a truckload of constant feedback and criticism. It's unavoidable, and it's not really 'garbage'. Fans aren't just going to always fall in line behind "the King", because, PD. As I said above the worry is they will be dethroned if they keep this shit up (some argue they already have been).

But alas, I'll stop mentioning other games/Sony projects. They do tie in though, as they are either the reason PD is under pressure, or a side effect of PD getting given free reign by Sony, where some belt tightening around project management could be appreciated.

Top Bottom