• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch, best to go with joy cons/grip and pro controller, or second set of joy cons?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I want a pro controller if I can find one in the US without a ton of searching. Otherwise I have a charger grip preordered as back up.

Prefer the Pro for a dpad for 2D VC games and things like SF2 and the bigger buttons.

Peltz

I sort of feel like there won't be any games that require a second set of joycons for local multiplayer... yet the importance of having a d-pad is too great to ignore.

So I'll likely pick up at least 1 pro controller to start. Maybe I'll pick up a second set of joycons and a second pro controller later on down the line, too.

Put it this way: most games will be playable via multiplayer straight out of the box. So to me, it's all about that d-pad.

yyr

I feel like it's impossible to answer this question before we see more of the games that are coming. Maybe later in the year there'll be a more obvious choice.

Like, a set of Joy-cons does everything a Pro Controller does and more.

You mentioned it yourself: it's missing a D-pad. Makes me wonder why Capcom is porting SFII.

Lucifon

I'm going with the Pro Controller. Seems like a good idea then you have the joycons, joycons in the grip, and pro controller - covers all bases.

I think getting an extra pair of joy cons are the safe way to go. I personally going extra pair of joy cons and a pro. and getting g the charging grip.

oti

Banned
There won't be shortages on Joy-Con or Pro Controllers. Just wait to see what you really need/want after launch.

atr0cious

System is for my partner, so we'll need another set of joycons and charging grip. Not buying any of that till arms comes out though. Will buy a pro controller the second it's compatible with steam. There is nothing like a Nintendo dpad.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
There won't be shortages on Joy-Con or Pro Controllers. Just wait to see what you really need/want after launch.

I think a shortage on Pro Controllers around launch is likely. At least in North America where they still haven't gone up for preorder.

tsab

I would go for Joy-cons. 4 player options for FIFA, NBA, Mario Kart etc.

Do we have a comparison for the battery life?

Veitsev

I want a pro controller if I can find one in the US without a ton of searching. Otherwise I have a charger grip preordered as back up.

Prefer the Pro for a dpad for 2D VC games and things like SF2 and the bigger buttons.

you can order one off of Amazon japan. Should be slightly cheaper than US price.

I would go for Joy-cons. 4 player options for FIFA, NBA, Mario Kart etc.

Do we have a comparison for the battery life?

20 hours for joycons vs 40 hours for pro controller

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
you can order one off of Amazon japan. Should be slightly cheaper than US price.

I'm holding out in hoping Gamestop.com puts some up as I have $120 or so in credit there. I can't justify the $70 since I ended up preordering the console from BestBuy.com rather than hassling with going to GameStop that morning to preorder and use my credit.

tsab

I wouldn't hold my breath but Nintendo may add legacy controller support in the future.

Is Switch backwards compatible in any way? Will you be able to download or play Wii, Wii U, or 3DS games?

The Nintendo Switch system is not backward compatible with games designed for other systems, and is not currently compatible with controllers designed for other systems. Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update. We have nothing to announce regarding Virtual Console or other types of digital purchases at this time.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953

20 hours for joycons vs 40 hours for pro controller

Thanks, hoping for atleast 60 hours for the pro

jts

...hate me...
Wonder if the GameCube controller USB adapter will work, at least for Smash. Please say so.

(it's not even about the GCN controller itself but to be able to use some older controllers we already own for dumb multiplayer when it doesn't mandate motion and shit).

Wil348

I want to try the joy-con grip first before I decide whether or not to buy a pro controller. If that it good enough, I probably won't buy a pro until they come down in price.

Demption

Will there be games near launch that needs more than two joycons for multiplayer? 1 2 switch i guess uses only 2 joycons for multiplayer?

When you're already talking about a 40 hour battery life, why on Earth would 60 be some great advantage? Either way, you're talking about weeks of gaming without charging. What difference does it make?

Will there be games near launch that needs more than two joycons for multiplayer? 1 2 switch i guess uses only 2 joycons for multiplayer?

Seems like Arms is the only one so far. Or Mario Kart and Puyo Puyo Tertris for more than 2 players.

PrimeBeef

A second set of Joy Con with a grip is $95-100.

A pro controller is $70.

Neither of these are priced to justify buying a second controller for the console in my opinion but for the sake of having two, I would go for a pro controller.

Except all the tech inside them does, regardless of your feelings about the price.

tsab

When you're already talking about a 40 hour battery life, why on Earth would 60 be some great advantage? Either way, you're talking about weeks of gaming without charging. What difference does it make?

Seems like Arms is the only one so far. Or Mario Kart and Puyo Puyo Tertris for more than 2 players.

If it had more battery life, you charge it less times, meaning the battery will keep its health longer.

Also Wii U Pro controller spoiled me :p

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Keeping two pairs of joycons charged might be a pain since they only charge when attached to the slate.

jts

...hate me...
Keeping two pairs of joycons charged might be a pain since they only charge when attached to the slate.

Yeah, definitely need the charging grip for a second pair. It brings up the tally to a nice number. Ouch.

I wonder how fast do they charge though? When play for example ARMS via motion controls, if you run out of battery you have to stop playing for a while. Wasn’t a problem with the Wii Remote thanks to the AA batteries.

Can you play something like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta with separated joy cons I wonder? That would be my deciding factor. $150 on extra controllers is a bit too much. I'd much rather just buy one joy cons dual pack later on and call it a day, that Pro is a hard pill to swallow.

OryoN

Right now, I'm more amazed at how comfortable everyone is with the term "Joy-con"(and to a lesser extent, "Switch"). I'm over here smiling right now, haha. It wasn't too long ago where some found it weird. Now, it's just rolling off tongues and keyboard all to natural. Took some people forever to accept "Wii" and "Wii U."

Anyway... this is a tough one for me. When I have family gatherings, party games are a big hit. I don't want to miss out on that! I wanted a pro controller for myself, but depending on how comfortable the joy-con grip configuration feels, I may just have to troop it out with 2 extra joy-cons w/grip. At least they can emulate a pro controller to some degree, but a pro controller can not emulate a dual joy-con mode.

bomblord1

Banned
I would personally be going with a second set of Joycons as they seem much more comfortable than a pro controller for single player and can work as an additional 2 controllers in a pinch.

I say I would because I can't flipping find the blue/red set anywhere it all either says not available or coming soon with no option to pre-order.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Joycons + grips on the go, Pro controller at home.

So just one set of joycons, unless really compelling 4 player games show up.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if Puyo Puyo Tetris and Bomberman R are comfortable enough to play with an analogue stick with a single joycon? They'd be optimal local multiplayer games on the go.

brigadeer

I want Joycons for Arms but I want a Pro Controller for the d-pad... I am genuinely torn

Same here. Really want two sets of joycons to play Arms with my son, however, I feel a pro comtroller will be better for traditional games.

All I know is I'm not buying an extra pro controller and another set of joy cons.

Every time I think I've decided, I change my mind again. March 3rd can't get here soon enough!

Zetta

Depending on how great the third party pro controller is ill just get that and then a joycon combo down the line.

I went ahead and ordered the Pro Controller from Amazon Japan. I assume it charges through USB C, but does anyone know if it comes with a charge cable? Does the charge grip come with one? Can't seem to find anything.

If it doesn't I am gonna need to pick up a cable or I will have no way to charge the thing.

EDIT: From the other thread

The Japanese site says both the Charging Grip and Pro Controller include a USB-C cable.

Good news!

Neoxon

I wouldn't hold my breath but Nintendo may add legacy controller support in the future.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953

I feel like they'd at most add legacy controller support for Smash (Ex: the GameCube Adapter) via game-specific drivers like what happened with Smash Wii U & the GameCube Adapter.

As for me, I'm probably gonna go with a Pro Controller. A 2nd pair of Joy-Cons was tempting for ARMS, but then it was revealed that you can play ARMS without any motion controls.

Crayon

I just got some people together for some 4 player games. I think we might be able to do that once a month. Leaning towards a second joycon for sure. That would be good for be good for trying it out the first year, splitting joycons to play bomberman and mario kart. If it's a hit, I can pick up a pair of pro controllers to upgrade the 4 player controller situation as the games come out.

I would say go joycons + grip for your second set so you can play any game with 4 players then wait and get a pro controller on sale.

People are all up in arms about the price but you have to factor in that a set of joy cons is technically 2 controllers.

Malakai

I would say go joycons + grip for your second set so you can play any game with 4 players then wait and get a pro controller on sale.

People are all up in arms about the price but you have to factor in that a set of joy cons is technically 2 controllers.

That would depend on the the game. What happen when a game requires both right and left Joy-Cons for one player?

Crayon

I'm hoping for "left joycons" by third parties in the shape of full pads for about 30 bucks. Hori. Go.

That would depend on the the game. What happen when a game requires both right and left Joy-Cons for one player?

I think of it this way. With a second set of joy cons you can play ARMS as well as any other party game with up to 4 players (since you already have a set on the switch). With just a PRO controller you cant really have that flexibility. At best you could play up to 3 players and you couldnt play any motion based games they release that require joycons.

The positive with the pro controller obviously is the battery life and feel as well as the fact that you have a real D pad, which would matter for some people who play alot of 2d platformers and fighters.

I'm hoping for "left joycons" by third parties in the shape of full pads for about 30 bucks. Hori. Go.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but I saw these on amazon the other day

Nintendo Switch Grip Kit, Joy-Con Grips & Thumb Grips

71iHG8vzEYL._SL1500_.jpg

trixx

I've thought about this as well. I mean my brother really wants a switch and I'm kind of indifferent about it at the moment. The thing is he wants to use it primarily as a handheld and I'd like to use it mainly as a console. I have a feeling there will be issues with regards to ability to play at particular times as I'd find the main unit gone similarly to when he's constantly play off-screen on the wii u.

I could buy another joy con and grip theoretically or instead buy a new unit entirely. If Nintendo's online system is on par with xbox then theoretically we could share the same online and games. I have a feeling that Nintendo will not allot this however.

Joy-con is at least 1/4th of the price

Neoxon

Another argument in favor of getting the Pro Controller, which I think was mentioned in this thread, is that the Pro Controller has an honest-to-god D-Pad, which will be beneficial for games like Ultra Street Fighter II, Sonic Mania, & Shovel Knight.

selo

Hey guys, I only play in handheld mode and after holding the switch for maybe an hour, my hands start to hurt.

I was looking into grips that you could use while playing in handheld mode and stumbled into these ones, a friend has them and they're comfortable, the only downside is that the "-/+" buttons are hard to press.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N10WJ09/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does anyone know which grip is the better option?

thanks

Top Bottom