• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Al Franken should resign after sexually assaulting woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calls for Al Franken to resign seem to be growing exponentially. I agree with that sentiment.
Here are just a few articles.
A woman just accused the Minnesota senator of sexual misconduct. If he's really an advocate for women's rights, he should step down.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d3d9gq/al-franken-resign

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/11/al_franken_should_resign_immediately.html
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/360690-celebs-call-for-resignation-jail-time-for-franken
"https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/opinion/al-franken-sexual-harassment.html?_r=0"]https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/opinion/al-franken-sexual-harassment.html?_r=0[/B]

nn_khu_al_franken_allegations_171116_1920x1080.nbcnews-ux-1080-600.jpg

Oh hey, it's the OP who got their thread locked yesterday. Try number 2 I guess.

Here is his apology:

“The first thing I want to do is apologize: to Leeann, to everyone else who was part of that tour, to everyone who has worked for me, to everyone I represent, and to everyone who counts on me to be an ally and supporter and champion of women. There’s more I want to say, but the first and most important thing—and if it’s the only thing you care to hear, that’s fine—is: I’m sorry.

I respect women. I don’t respect men who don’t. And the fact that my own actions have given people a good reason to doubt that makes me feel ashamed.

But I want to say something else, too. Over the last few months, all of us—including and especially men who respect women—have been forced to take a good, hard look at our own actions and think (perhaps, shamefully, for the first time) about how those actions have affected women.

For instance, that picture. I don’t know what was in my head when I took that picture, and it doesn’t matter. There’s no excuse. I look at it now and I feel disgusted with myself. It isn’t funny. It’s completely inappropriate. It’s obvious how Leeann would feel violated by that picture. And, what’s more, I can see how millions of other women would feel violated by it—women who have had similar experiences in their own lives, women who fear having those experiences, women who look up to me, women who have counted on me.

Coming from the world of comedy, I’ve told and written a lot of jokes that I once thought were funny but later came to realize were just plain offensive. But the intentions behind my actions aren’t the point at all. It’s the impact these jokes had on others that matters. And I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to come to terms with that.

While I don’t remember the rehearsal for the skit as Leeann does, I understand why we need to listen to and believe women’s experiences.

I am asking that an ethics investigation be undertaken, and I will gladly cooperate.

And the truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories. They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.”

Dude Abides

Banned
Franken shoud resign. But OP voted for Trump so he’s full of shit about caring about sexual assault and is just being partisan.

Didn't your last thread on this get locked?

Yes. Most likely because of the incorrect title I posted. I had thought the 2nd woman claiming harassment was also talking about verbal sexual harassment, but it may have been other harassment. It wasn't clear to me. Anyway, this is the biggest news in the country, so I think it deserves a thread.

Franken shoud resign. But OP voted for Trump so he's full of shit about caring about sexual assault and is just being partisan.
I expected to get some whataboutism posts, but not so soon.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Franken shoud resign. But OP voted for Trump so he’s full of shit about caring about sexual assault and is just being partisan.

Oh.

Wow.

Okay, well given this thread, I assume the OP would have no problem saying he has had a change of heart and thinks both Trump and Moore should step down?

Dude Abides

Banned
Yes. Most likely because of the incorrect title I posted. I had thought the 2nd woman claiming harassment was also talking about verbal sexual harassment, but it may have been other harassment. It wasn't clear to me. Anyway, this is the biggest news in the country, so I think it deserves a thread.

Its not whataboutism to point out that this thread was posted in bad faith.

Oh.

Wow.

Okay, well given this thread, I assume the OP would have no problem saying he has had a change of heart and thinks both Trump and Moore should step down?

Not likely. He’s pushing the donald conspiracy theories about Moore.

nemoral

Banned
I agree that harassers and assaulters need to step down. Let's start with Trump and Franken. Toss them both in the same barrel of shit. While we're at it, Clarence Thomas should go too. Roy Moore obviously needs to step down. In fact, there are many reports of sexual harassment and assault happening in Congress and the Senate. Anyone named by multiple people needs to go. Drain the swamp.

ZeoVGM

Banned

No, "whataboutism" would be going back to something that happened 20 years ago.

Not the person you voted for a year ago. Or the current pedophile running for office.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here: you would agree Trump and Moore should step down, given even worse allegations from numerous people, rather than one person (who says she forgives him and doesn't want him to step down).

Right?

Bit-Bit

Its not whataboutism to point out that this thread was posted in bad faith.
Yeah, I'm tired of people hiding behind "whataboutism". Most of the time labeling it incorrectly.

A hipocrit is a hipocrit. Nothing to do with whataboutism.

That apology from Franken shows a level of care and maturity that Trump just looks more like an immature child with his non apology with so called locker room talk.

If OP did voted for Trump then he is in fact a hipocrit and should be called out as such.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah, I'm tired of people hiding behind "whataboutism". Most of the time labeling it incorrectly.

A hipocrit is a hipocrit. Nothing to do with whataboutism.

That apology from Franken shows a level of care and maturity that Trump just looks more like an immature child with his non apology with so called locker room talk.

If OP did voted for Trump then he is in fact a hipocrit and should be called out as such.

The fact that Trump was able to tweet out what he did last night is absolutely disgusting. A complete embarrassment to the country. He has barely (if at all) said shit about Moore. He doesn't care about the harassment, only the party.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
This dude pretended to grab a woman's boobs as a bad joke and probably coerced her into a sloppy kiss

Maybe he should resign. And so should every other sexual predator in office(perhaps even the highest office)

Crazylegs

Should Franken resign over this? Is this sexual assault or just a really disrespectful, offensive attempt at being 'funny'?

It's a genuine question. I guess I'm concerned that anyone would conflate (for example) Moore's alleged advances towards teen-aged girls vs. what Franken did. In Moore's case it was indeed about sexual attraction and power, whereas that does not seem to be the case with Franken.

BANGS

Banned

Trump has no confirmed record of sexual assault. My dear god I can't believe how brainwashed people are allowing themselves to be...

gatti-man

Trump has no confirmed record of sexual assault. My dear god I can't believe how brainwashed people are allowing themselves to be...

He’s admitted to sexual assault via his “locker room talk”. Someone doesn’t need a legal conviction when they admit it on their own on tape.

Dude Abides

Banned

He admitted to it on tape. His wife testified under oath that he raped her. God I can’t believe how brainwashed trumpets are.

DixieNormus

Neo Member
Republicans are kiddy diddlers.
Democrats are Woman Abusers.

Can't wait until a third party is introduced into America's political scene. The two we have now are fake and get nothing accomplished.

gatti-man

Republicans are kiddy diddlers.
Democrats are Woman Abusers.

Can't wait until a third party is introduced into America's political scene. The two we have now are fake and get nothing accomplished.

People in power have these issues not just in politics. Your third party would have the same issues. All we can do is hold people accountable.

BANGS

Banned
He’s admitted to sexual assault via his “locker room talk”. Someone doesn’t need a legal conviction when they admit it on their own on tape.

No he didn't. He admitted to groping women, which was most likely just hot air bullshit knowing him. But regardless, that's not assault if they "let" him and are perfectly comfortable with it. The women he hangs out with, if what he's saying is actually true, prolly love that kind of thing...

He admitted to it on tape. His wife testified under oath that he raped her. God I can’t believe how brainwashed trumpets are.

See above for the admitted bullshit. Also his wife testifying under oath really means nothing, especially when she has something to gain from it.

Mysteriously all the women he supposedly savagely raped went quiet after they realized that wouldn't lose him the election, so I have reason to believe most accusations against him are petty bullshit.

Also is anybody who doesn't blindly hate Trump without evidence suddenly a "trumpet"? Again, the brainwashing is so damn strong...

MIMIC

Banned
Very disappointing. But again, anyone accused of such behavior needs to be held accountable.

But Republicans shouldn't be saying anything since Trump is still in office (and haven't denounced him yet). Then again, Trump shouldn't be in office for like 6 million other reasons, too. Him being a self-professed pervert is just one of them.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
No he didn't. He admitted to groping women, which was most likely just hot air bullshit knowing him. But regardless, that's not assault if they "let" him and are perfectly comfortable with it. The women he hangs out with, if what he's saying is actually true, prolly love that kind of thing...

jesus christ

Dude Abides

Banned

See above for the admitted bullshit. Also his wife testifying under oath really means nothing, especially when she has something to gain from it.

Mysteriously all the women he supposedly savagely raped went quiet after they realized that wouldn't lose him the election, so I have reason to believe most accusations against him are petty bullshit.

Also is anybody who doesn't blindly hate Trump without evidence suddenly a "trumpet"? Again, the brainwashing is so damn strong...

You have to be a real brainwashed trumpet to think that Trump was talking about consensual pussy grabbing and kissing.

All the women he assaulted didn't go quiet. That's just fake news trumpets are spreading. The media just stopped covering it after the Rapist-in-Chief was elected.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/...feel-forgotten-a-lawsuit-may-change-that.html

Generally testimony under oath does mean something. Namely possible perjury charges if you lie. That's kind of what oaths are for. Certainly more reliable than Trump's obvious self-serving lies about his sexual assaults to help his campaign.

BANGS

Banned
You have to be a real brainwashed trumpet to think that Trump was talking about consensual pussy grabbing and kissing.

I don't. I actually think he was just bullshitting and puffing his ego and gloating to his boy. He's a blatant egomaniac and he thought saying such things would impress that dude he was with. I don't think he actually gropes women like that at all...

Here's my take on this and all the other sexual assault revelations coming out recently.

Im 40 years old and in no way shape or form the same person I was 20 years ago. The world isn't the same place it was 20 years ago.

Does that mean that people get a free pass? No, but if it is something that is 10, 20+ years ago Im willing to "forgive"(even though it's not my place to) and move on...if there isn't a trail of destruction like Harvey Weinstein and a sincere apology is given.

I think in this case specifically, the victim has forgiven, Franken has proven himself to be a force for positive change and he gave a sincere apology. Unless women come forward saying he did this in the last few years it's just another distraction from the right.

Paterson

Banned
Resign from what? Comedy? The USO tour? Or is the idiocy being requested that he step down from Congress over something that happened long before he ran for office and was a joke, a bad one, that he's apologized for, requested an ethics investigation over and has subsequently seen his apology accepted by the victim who then went on to request that he not lose his job, despite her herself being a piece of shit Trumper and Birther. Nah, he can stay.

He should resign, he now has no moral authority so therefore no credibility. All elected officials who pulled any of this scumbag behavior should be outed and resign. The reality here no matter what happens is that you'll see accountability from Franken. Contrast that with the filth in the WH and how he responded to all of the women he harassed and assaulted, and how conservative voters reacted to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom