• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei out on iOS [Port of GBA port, $14, JPN text only]

RedSwirl

...in Japanese only of course. $13.99. Wanted to bring some attention to this outside of the iOS thread. Apparently it's based on the GBA port.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id501271388

For some reason they bothered to write an English description for it on the US store though. Maybe Index cares that much about import gamers.

Well, there it is if you understand Japanese.

On the subject of Index, is SBK worth it?

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Nothing about this release makes sense.

They are charging $14 for a port of a game released in 1992 that they aren't even bothering to localize properly.

Why?

No one asked for this.

mzl.ljhotfaf.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.jfegdhdx.320x480-75.jpg

Welp, that certainly looks awkward.

jeremy1456

They are charging $14 for a port of a game released in 1992 that they aren't even bothering to localize properly.

Why?

No one asked for this.

Because it's on iOS.

If you shit in a bag that had even the apple logo the fans would worship it.

Why?

No one asked for this.

You mean port of a 2004 port of a 2001 remake of a 1992 game! Now it's totally worth it right?!

Bebpo

Banned
They charge $15 for iso dumps of premium games like this on J-PSN all the time. Nothing new here. Legendary games carry legendary games tax. Which is a bit funny, since a lot of them really don't hold up that well anymore.

I love this game to bits, but I think grinding and paging through the battle text with touch controls only would kill me. JRPGs really are the worst fit for touch interfaces.

They're the future in that they made people wake up and realise videogames are typically too expensive, yes.

1. Sell old games.

2. Get a job.

Do 1 OR 2 OR both and you will have no problem getting new games. Other things are expensive as well - going out is expensive, going to cinema is expensive, buying your boyfriend/girlfriend nice things is expensive. You don't hear people complaining about that.

Zekes!

If they had bothered to do a proper version of SMT for iOS, it would've been great. Proper Touchscreen controls would've worked fine for the type of game it is.

If they had bothered to do a proper version of SMT for iOS, it would've been great. Proper Touchscreen controls would've worked fine for the type of game it is.

Out of curiosity, what kind of touch controls would work for a dungeon crawler?

I tried Wizardry on iPhone and it's a mess.

Zekes!

What were the controls like for Wizardry? I haven't played it on iOS.

But for SMT, all you would really need is a virtual d-pad, or even swipe controls, to move, a menu button, and interact/cancel buttons. Menus could easily be navigated with touch controls. The controls aren't that complicated, it should be relatively simple.

IrishNinja

price, layout and lack of translation aren't good, but...man, JRPGs and visual novels porting over to ios strikes me as such a good call.
i know there's talk of some good platformers on there, and i don't wanna speak till i try those, but i do go with the sentiment that there's genres (that one, fighting, etc) that dont seem like a good fit at all unless really built from the ground up for them, as far as interpretive controls & the like. turn-based RPGs and visual novel/adventure games like that are such a great idea that they should almost be a default, i think.

Alex

On the contrary, mobile games are too cheap!

(I actually don't really know)

They are often too cheap (barring some of the excessive Japanese pricing) and even though iOS has a lot of fairly good stuff it's what prevents it from having many stand out titles, even amongst the B tier. It's the inverse of console and handheld gaming, on which high quality low and mid tier projects are pretty up coughing up blood at this point.

I mean there are some really great titles for a buck or two, I've got a couple folders of stuff that I feel like I robbed the developers when I bought it but if funding and pricing a 5 to 10 dollar project wasn't a death trip (seemingly) on the platform I bet we'd see some really great stuff. There's a few exceptions. But they seem to be just that.

PC seems to be the only platform where various tiers of pricing seem to ever take on the norm. It's a shame how unwilling other markets seem to be to bend.

massoluk

Banned
Man, I think it's fine with dumping rom, but can't you at least try a little with the interface instead of fake buttons.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That screenshot of the controls is hilarious. I simply won't play any games that require that type of control, I can never get used to it.

Which is why a tablet or phone will never replace all of my portable gaming unless there are adequate buttons on it. Yes, certain games will work touchscreen only (ironically, RPGs are one of the genres that would work).

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
dear japan, iOS is actually not an excuse for your typical keitai bullshit. please try and put some effort in making games for it, thanks. (you're cool, cave, don't worry about it)

frostbyte

those buttons just look nauseating.

on the topic of genres of games that could be ported pretty well, i think shooters (the ones like dodonpachi) and visual novels are the games that actually benefit from being on a touch screen.

$13.99
Category: Games
Released: Feb 23, 2012
Version: 1.0.0
Size: 23.2 MB
Language: English
Seller: Index Corporation
© 1992,2012 Index Corporation. Produced by ATLUS
Rated 4+

Yeah, I don't think whoever wrote the description has actually played the game.

RedSwirl

need buttons looks a right mess and a pain to play

From what I've seen of RPGs on iOS, if this game is completely turn-based it should work fine without buttons.

There's a free game on iOS called Undercroft which works very much like an early 90's western dungeon crawler, and I think the controls are excellent. Touch screen-based menus, a virtual d pad, and fully turn-based gameplay work really well on the iPhone.

If they adjusted it to touch screen controls, games like SMT and Etririan Odyssey could work very well on iOS.

jorgeton

Ridiculous touchpad aside, I'd totally buy it if it were in english. Atlus needs to bring SMT1 and 2 to the US somehow, I'd co-sign on Ios ports..

Ridiculous touchpad aside, I'd totally buy it if it were in english. Atlus needs to bring SMT1 and 2 to the US somehow, I'd co-sign on Ios ports..

Yeah, as painful as it is in general to support particularly shoddy ports... SMT1+2 have never seen official US release, and the GBA versions are the best... if these got localized it might be our best shot.

Still a bummer these aren't at least somewhat redone, though.

They charge $15 for iso dumps of premium games like this on J-PSN all the time. Nothing new here. Legendary games carry legendary games tax. Which is a bit funny, since a lot of them really don't hold up that well anymore.
On PSN, SMT1 is only 1000 yen. On Wii VC it's even cheaper (900 points).

C-Jo

Yeah, I would too. I'd just feel bad about supporting such a grimy looking port.

randomkid

Yeah I'm not sure what advantages this version has over a PSN download, unless you have no access to a PS3/PSP/VITA. I'm planning to finally play this in a couple months so I was either gonna go the PSN route (thank you region freedom!) or pick up a cart from Ebay, where they are crazy cheap. Playing in English is a must anyways, so it's gonna have to be BSNES on my laptop or ZSNES if I finally mod my PSP.

If Atlus USA somehow decides to give it a real translation though I'll actually pick up the cheapest IOS system I can find, since I doubt this would make it over to Android. SMT is that much of a system seller for me haha.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Haven't enjoyed any of the SMT series besides persona 3+4 (tried both ds games and persona 1-2 on psp) but would give it a shot if there was a lengthy demo or 5$ or less.

Top Bottom