• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who are playing Horizon and Zelda, which world do you enjoy exploring more?

Mendrox

As much as I am loving Horizon, I dont see what is so appealing about its world. It all feels very samey. Its beautiful, thats for sure but it all has a been there done that type of feel. Its so realistic that its almost boring? I am not too sure how else to put it.

Zelda from what I have played introduces creativity which is fundamentally the main ingredient in encouraging exploration.

This is exactly how I feel about both games. Completed both games, but Zelda has a way more enjoyable world to explore. Doesn't matter what ticks your interest in Zelda...something will be there.

i wonder how much is knowing zelda for years/decades effects the "reward" to exploring when it could just toss something old at you for doing the exploring.

Zelda's world was built around exploration, so it's definitely better in that regard. Horizon's world was built around the strong combat and compelling narrative.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Zelda it is not even fair
Horizon looks amazing.
But zelda is the clear winner

Why is this thread allowed to be open and the other one not? Shall we discuss the combat sections of these games in here? Just curious.

And yeah, haven't played Zelda, but it looks more fun to explore, whereas Horizon is a more story driven experience.

Jobbs

Banned
Zelda's exploring is fun because of climbing and gliding. Because of climbing and gliding, it's hard to beat in this specific category. When playing Horizon, after Zelda, I kept trying to climb and glide everything and felt constantly frustrated by my inability to.

Overall I like Horizon more, though.

Horizons world feels like stages and set dressing not like a living breathing world to me. Some parts of the map is also closed off (Grave Hoard for example) before you reach a certain point of the story. You can only climb up on certain colored areas on mountain. sides as well. Granted it looks very pretty but it doesnt feel like anything really, for me that is. The areas i liked the most is the parts that are supposed to be Utah, that look like Arches national park.

Zelda you can go wherever, whenever you want after you have done the tutorial area. Also the world is much much larger and contains much more secrets. You can even go attempt the last boss first thing you do after leaving the plateau, you will by 99% chance get your ass handed to you by guardians before you reach it. But you can do it. There are no invisible walls in this game.

Dinda

The never ending story between Zelda and Horizon.... I guess Horizon could be glad that as a new ip it goes toe to toe with such a classic and beloved franchise, but it is also a very tiring comparision.
I feel like one could make countless threads about different aspects of these two fantastic games, and since both absolutely succeed in what they are trying to do, the winner would always be the game that had more of a focus on this one aspect. In this case Zelda. For others it could be Horizon.

Overall i liked Horizon better though.

I enjoy both but Zelda without a doubt and I've played it probably more than 50 hours already and I still have so much to discover. Zelda is the most rewarding open world experience I've played and it's full of mystery and actually makes you feel like you're taking an adventure.

Vroadstar

Why is this thread allowed to be open and the other one not? Shall we discuss the combat sections of these games in here? Just curious.

And yeah, haven't played Zelda, but it looks more fun to explore, whereas Horizon is a more story driven experience.

Curious as well, I made that other thread actually thinking that it will help me decide to buy a a deal here for a Switch with a free 1-2 Switch game and Zelda game. Now I don't know where do I post a combat comparison, in a Zelda thread or a Horizon thread without ruffling the feathers of fans of each or being accused of drive by or worst being banned for inciting a war.

Definitely Horizon because I actually care about the world, and I don't feel like I'm hurting my character by doing overworld battles.

It's the shrines/dungeons in Zelda that are amazing compared to Horizon's few solid but not special cauldrons.

Rathorial

I'd break it down that I think the world of Horizon is more interesting and unique, in the sense that I'm curious of just the setup to how the world even came to exist, much less have I even seen creature designs like this in other games at all. Zelda is more expected with another trip to Hyrule that references things I've seen before...but so much of its design promotes discovery that exploration itself is more enjoyable.

Zelda dangles more points of interest, offers more quests that aren't telegraphed, offers more varied tools to traverse, more stuff you see in the distance you can actually reach, and more things to find that don't involve combat.

So much of Zelda's discoveries are simply me wandering of my own volition, while more of Horizon's are scripted to me along its main story.

They're in each other's way a little too much for me to enjoy playing them concurrently. I sold off Horizon so I could focus on Zelda more.

As good as Horizon is, it has the tremendous misfortune of being released next to Zelda and resembling it a bit too much for them not to be compared.

ogbg

Zelda by a country mile.
I never feel like I can see anything outside a small space in horizon. Partly due to the shockingly low FOV on the camera, partly due to the layout of the world, partly due to the inability to climb. Even if you do reach a relatively high spot you can't see much because it's all misty.
I love that Zelda's world was designed with vantage points clearly in mind. There are just so many different angles to view the world from. For me that is a huge incentive to explore and go mountain climbing in particular.
There are other reasons too but that's a big one for me.

silva1991

I enjoyed exploring BOTW way more. More freedom and more way in traversing it's world than in Horizon.

I mean:

gtstikwzrnpou6lhmsim.png

NuKERxyz

Horizon is beautiful but Zelda botw world is a masterpiece in design, exploration and the game is a league above anything else.

Jolkien

Purely explore Zelda but I enjoyed the world of Horizon way more. With the laughable voice over and paper thin plot of Zelda I cared a lot more for Horizon world.

I platinumed Horizon and currently at 100 shrines done and 3 dungeons in Zelda so it could still change.

spock

i wonder how much is knowing zelda for years/decades effects the "reward" to exploring when it could just toss something old at you for doing the exploring.

Honestly the game would still be amazing as a non zelda title. I would LOVE to have a Indiana Jones title with the zelda framework. A tomb raider or new ip, etc. Would kick major butt.

i was wondering the exact same thing but afraid to ask

The Dude

Again to those saying it's not a comparison I totally disagree with, because if you put the two games side by side... Both devs I believe are building their world for people to set out and explore and see. Yes zelda is more built around exploration so it gets the advantage but so what, that doesn't mean they aren't both worthy to be pitted against each other having both pretty massive worlds..

Those saying it's no content obviously pick zelda, that doesn't mean it's not fair. Horizon made a beautiful world to see but ancient vessels and vantage points are what they implemented for exploration. Going in before we knew anything it's not like anyone thought "nope, this game has a huge open world but it's not meant for exploration".... They designed a world to explore but the key points of their exploration just don't fuel it well enough. Still as we see some prefer it over zelda, which is why I made the thread.

And regardless of anything else it's just mere conversation, I find both games to be top notch in different ways... Both made incredibly beautiful worlds and there is a sense of beauty with exploration of horizon.

They're 2 of the most recent open world titles and 2 of the best for different reasons. But when comparing games you're not going to find exactly the same agenda.

Horizon could of done more for exploration, that to me is the place where they dropped the ball a bit.

[NaK]

For me, Zelda hasen't even come close to the awe I felt when I saw the jungle area in Horizon the first time.
Or when I saw a Tallneck för the first time. Or when I fought a Stormbird on top of a mountain in a snowstorm.
Or when I explored a moonlit city ruin that had turned to a swamp over the years.
Or when I fought my first Thunderjaw.
And so on...

Zelda does a good job with the hole "I wonder what's behind this hill" exploration, but I have to be honest, the graphics (Wii U) kills a lot of the enjoyment for me.

[NaK];232479374 said:
For me, Zelda hasen't even come close to the awe I felt when I saw the jungle area in Horizon the first time.
Or when I saw a Tallneck för the first time. Or when I fought a Stormbird on top of a mountain in a snowstorm.
Or when I explored a moonlit city ruin that had turned to a swamp over the years.
And so on...

Zelda does a good job with the hole "I wonder what's behind this hill" exploration, but I have to be honest, the graphics (Wii U) kills a lot of the enjoyment for me.

This is where I'm at. Combat, visuals, traversal, lore, Aloy better than Link, main story and characters...It all goes to Horizon for me. Exploration is rewarded more in Zelda so it has that going for it.

Lifeline

Haven't played Zelda yet, but Horizon was fun to explore up until I reached the first Tallneck.

I liked exploring Horizon because the enviornements were great to look at and you can find collectibles and cool looking areas if you looked around. But the main reason was that the game map was covered up with fog apart from the places you've already traveled. So this gave you a reason to explore and remove the fog from the map, but the Tallneck removes the fog from a massive chunk of the map and after that you have no idea what parts of the map you've already visited or not.

So there wasn't really a reason for me anymore to explore the different nooks and crannies of the map. I hope for the next one the Tallnecks only reveal collectibles and stuff, instead of uncovering the map.

Jumeira

Banned
I feel (to no fault of Nintendo) Zelda has really taken the thunder from Horizon which barely had much time to shine. Zelda will win GOTY 2017 and top most categories imo, in any other year Horizon would have most likely won GOTY. Kind of feel sorry for GG, who no doubt are ecstatic with how well received their game is, but will never potentially reach the same status in accolade and recognition as Witcher 3 has and Zelda eventually will. From W3 -> Zelda interms of passing the torch.

The Dude

[NaK];232479374 said:
And so on...

Great post and its why I made the thread to see other opinions because I personally felt the same with horizon until I played zelda.. But I also feel that about horizon and the experience is still so very memorable..

Again to those saying it's not a comparison I totally disagree with, because if you put the two games side by side... Both devs I believe are building their world for people to set out and explore and see. Yes zelda is more built around exploration so it gets the advantage but so what, that doesn't mean they aren't both worthy to be pitted against each other having both pretty massive worlds..

Those saying it's no content obviously pick zelda, that doesn't mean it's not fair. Horizon made a beautiful world to see but ancient vessels and vantage points are what they implemented for exploration. Going in before we knew anything it's not like anyone thought "nope, this game has a huge open world but it's not meant for exploration".... They designed a world to explore but the key points of their exploration just don't fuel it well enough. Still as we see some prefer it over zelda, which is why I made the thread.

And regardless of anything else it's just mere conversation, I find both games to be top notch in different ways... Both made incredibly beautiful worlds and there is a sense of beauty with exploration of horizon.

They're 2 of the most recent open world titles and 2 of the best for different reasons. But when comparing games you're not going to find exactly the same agenda.

Horizon could of done more for exploration, that to me is the place where they dropped the ball a bit.

And this is precisely why I don't think the comparison is a good one. Exploration in Zelda is premised on different factors than in Horizon. The latter is a combat focused game but your looking at it through the lens of exploration that fits the Zelda. And it's not as if Zelda doesn't have a slew collectibles as a reward for exploration (korok seeds, that become incredibly less important the more you acquire).

The primary difference is that Zelda places an emphasis on discovering shrines via the world amongst other interesting locations. And Horizon sets up interesting combat scenarios and encounters via the world amongst interesting side-quests.

And I don't think it's fair to suggest that shrines promote exploration more. But that's probably why I'm one of the few that enjoyed Horizons world more. Felt like a more focused, better made world ailored for its strengths.

Bluenoser

I'm playing both simultaneously and while I love Horizon, Zelda calls to me more.

With Horizon, the map is all filled in, and I know where it's worth going and not worth going. With Zelda, I have no clue- I have to explore to find anything. So it becomes worth aimlessly wandering in Zelda.

But I will say that Zelda's world is needlessly large. Horizon's is big too, but not to the same degree.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I feel (to no fault of Nintendo) Zelda has really taken the thunder from Horizon which barely had much time to shine. Zelda will win GOTY 2017 and top most categories imo, in any other year Horizon would have most likely won GOTY. Kind of feel sorry for GG, who no doubt are ecstatic with how well received their game is, but will never potentially reach the same status in accolade and recognition as Witcher 3 has and Zelda eventually will. From W3 -> Zelda interms of passing the torch.

they should be proud of Horizon but yeah launching it so close to Zelda is gonna hurt. this was their first open world RPG and they did a fantastic job. witcher didn't become popular until the 3rd game and we've had loads of zelda games. i can't wait to see where GG go in the future. definitely one to watch.

The Dude

And this is precisely why I don't think the comparison is a good one. Exploration in Zelda is premised on different factors than in Horizon. The latter is a combat focused game but your looking at it through the lens of exploration that fits the Zelda. And it's not as if Zelda doesn't have a slew collectibles as a reward for exploration (korok seeds, that become incredibly less important the more you acquire).

The primary difference is that Zelda places an emphasis on discovering shrines via the world amongst other interesting locations. And Horizon sets up interesting combat scenarios and encounters via the world amongst interesting side-quests.

And I don't think it's fair to suggest that shrines promote exploration more. But that's probably why I'm one of the few that enjoyed Horizons world more. Felt like a more focused, better made world ailored for its strengths.

But its only hindsight that might suggest horizon wasn't built around exploration, I sure as hell didn't go into horizon thinking "no exploration needed here". They created a gorgeous, beautiful massive world... That is very impressive and it could of had alot more to motivate exploration. It's that their exploration was vantage points and vessels, and it's a disappointment because that world while beautiful to see is alot of wasted land that I'll never see in its entirety.

And again I don't think there's anything unfair about taking the 2 best more recent games and holding them up and seeing what is what. They're both 2 incredible top notch different experiences.

Sure zelda on paper has the edge but as we see plenty still prefer horizon which makes the whole discussion valid.

wapplew

But its only hindsight that might suggest horizon wasn't built around exploration, I sure as hell didn't go into horizon thinking "no exploration needed here". They created a gorgeous, beautiful massive world... That is very impressive and it could of had alot more to motivate exploration. It's that their exploration was vantage points and vessels, and it's a disappointment because that world while beautiful to see is alot of wasted land that I'll never see in its entirety.

And again I don't think there's anything unfair about taking the 2 best more recent games and holding them up and seeing what is what. They're both 2 incredible top notch different experiences.

Sure zelda on paper has the edge but as we see plenty still prefer horizon which makes the whole discussion valid.

Its more fair if the title is which world do you enjoy more.

The Dude

Its more fair if the title is which world do you enjoy more.

Oh well life's full of disappointments. Seriously it's not like this conversation is etched into the side of a mountain for the world to see which game is perceived better, if you want to go about it without the word "explore" then by all means, if that makes it more "fair" then have at it as I couldn't really care less about the wording as the gist is simply which world did people enjoy more for whatever reason, I word it as explore because the only way to know which world someone likes more is to go and you know.... Explore it and see

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying Horizon was built for a different purpose of exploration than Zelda's world.

If you judged BotWs world of exploration via Horizons metrics, it would falter in comparison (combat encounters and how they are setup).

Zelda populates the world with largely similar enemy camps but that's not the focal point of its exploration. But it is for Horizon. That you have to go out if your way to discover a valley with two Thunderjaws roaming in an area designed to fight them in is how that world was created and the reward for that exploration.

Exploration is not a strong suit of Horizon. It's very weak compared to something like Witcher 3 or Zelda on that front. Game is more about the combat/story.

The Dude

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying Horizon was built for a different purpose of exploration than Zelda's world.

If you judged BotWs world of exploration via Horizons metrics, it would falter in comparison (combat encounters and how they are setup).

Zelda populates the world with largely similar enemy camps but that's not the focal point of its exploration. But it is for Horizon. That you have to go out if your way to discover a valley with two Thunderjaws roaming in an area designed to fight them in is how that world was created and the reward for that exploration.

But they both have the purpose of discovery and exploration no matter what. That is why one creates open worlds, they don't create open worlds for linear experiences. This is the only scale I need to look at 2 games and compare. I find them both fascinating worlds in the long run.

Horizon's world is far more interesting and beautiful IMO.

Zelda's world is a big open sandbox which has its appeal, but none of the designs of anything are nearly as striking as the stuff in HZD.

Granted, I've played 40+ hours of HZD and just a few of Zelda, so my feelings on Zelda could change.

Oh well life's full of disappointments. Seriously it's not like this conversation is etched into the side of a mountain for the world to see which game is perceived better, if you want to go about it without the word "explore" then by all means, if that makes it more "fair" then have at it as I couldn't really care less about the wording as the gist is simply which world did people enjoy more for whatever reason, I word it as explore because the only way to know which world someone likes more is to go and you know.... Explore it and see

Not true. While Zelda has the better world to go exploring in, Horizon has the better story to suck you in, much better combat, more interesting lore for the robots and tribes, I believe Aloy is a much better character to play as, etc...

Zelda has better exploration, true. By far since Horizon didn't build their game around exploration. At the same time I enjoy Horizon's world much more because of the reasons I listed.

The Dude

Not true. While Zelda has the better world to go exploring in, Horizon has the better story to suck you in, much better combat, more interesting lore for the robots and tribes, I believe Aloy is a much better character to play as, etc...

Zelda has better exploration, true. By far since Horizon didn't build their game around exploration. At the same time I enjoy Horizon's world much more because of the reasons I listed.

And that is fine, it's why I created the thread. The point is the only way one can know anything is by exploring the game worlds lol

Here's the thing, I feel bad for Horizon. It is such an outstanding achievement of design, bringing together conventions of the genre to near perfection........ then Zelda came along and said "Nope, throw it all out and try again".

I feel bad, because I really want to get back to Horizon, but I can't tear myself away from the phenomenon of BotW. I spend every day at work talking with co-workers about things that we have discovered in the game, excitedly saying things like "Go to the top of Mount Lanayru, trust me!" I can't stop thinking of it. Since it released, I haven't even turned on my PS4 or XB1 (though I should before I miss out on this month's GwG and PS+). No game has had me like this since the N64 days. It makes me feel like a kid again. The exploration and discovery are 100% what has me intrigued. Every thing I do makes me feel like I am discovering uncharted territory, and it's fascinating.

I wish that these games were further apart so that I could properly enjoy both of them. Had Horizon been released in the fall last year it would easily have been a GotY pick for most people..... but it released the same week as the GoAT.

Horizon's world is far more interesting and beautiful IMO.

Zelda's world is a big open sandbox which has its appeal, but none of the designs of anything are nearly as striking as the stuff in HZD.

Granted, I've played 40+ hours of HZD and just a few of Zelda, so my feelings on Zelda could change.

It will. Zelda's freedom is overwhelming in a good way. I sort of wish Horizon would be that open since it lends itself to that with the narrative it has (a isolated young adult roaming an unexplored land). I'm sure the sequel will have huge environments. It's their first try at an open world RPG and they pretty much nailed all the core aspects.

Here's the thing, I feel bad for Horizon. It is such an outstanding achievement of design, bringing together conventions of the genre to near perfection........ then Zelda came along and said "Nope, throw it all out and try again".

I feel bad, because I really want to get back to Horizon, but I can't tear myself away from the phenomenon of BotW. I spend every day at work talking with co-workers about things that we have discovered in the game, excitedly saying things like "Go to the top of Mount Lanayru, trust me!" I can't stop thinking of it. Since it released, I haven't even turned on my PS4 or XB1 (though I should before I miss out on this month's GwG and PS+). No game has had me like this since the N64 days. It makes me feel like a kid again. The exploration and discovery are 100% what has me intrigued. Every thing I do makes me feel like I am discovering uncharted territory, and it's fascinating.

I wish that these games were further apart so that I could properly enjoy both of them. Had Horizon been released in the fall last year it would easily have been a GotY pick for most people..... but it released the same week as the GoAT.

lol I'll never understand people's inability to play two games at once and appreciate both for different reasons. The story and combat and graphics and character made Horizon for me. Zelda it's the freedom, tools I'm given and the exploration.

We can enjoy both equally people

If you come on game enthusiast sites like neo gaf then yes it will feel like that but horizon is selling extremely well regardless of Zelda. I mean its shifted more copies than there are switches in the world.

Top Bottom