• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

Back from SDCC had Power Rangers and Zelda waiting for me in the mail.
4Ugk7Mz.jpg
I wanted that Kingsman so bad. When I briefly asked about it in SDCC thread, I had my balls bitten off that I would even think about asking someone else to get me one.

Maybe exaggerating a little bit.

wiibomb

if anyone gets the SL9 DS records, I would love some pictures or a video of them.

Very curious to see how they are in real life and not just the promo material

NeatoKuni

for those having issues w amazon shipping vinyls, during checkout you can check off a box that makes it a gift item so they package it differently (usually in a separate box to hide what it is- or in this case making it more protected. It doesn't cost any more either and it may fix your problem but ymmv. at the very least it's worth giving a shot.

for those having issues w amazon shipping vinyls, during checkout you can check off a box that makes it a gift item so they package it differently (usually in a separate box to hide what it is- or in this case making it more protected. It doesn't cost any more either and it may fix your problem but ymmv. at the very least it's worth giving a shot.
Great advice! Will do in the future for sure, thanks man!

wiibomb

they seems to be pretty similar to the SL9 versions, but with more LPs. I wanted to have that extra LP for DS3

I want to see the tracks included in the DS3 LPs but there is no way to see them from those pics, they are small.

rpbtz

they seems to be pretty similar to the SL9 versions, but with more LPs. I wanted to have that extra LP for DS3

I want to see the tracks included in the DS3 LPs but there is no way to see them from those pics, they are small.

Still a little blurry, but better than the gallery on the site.

DS: https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/43/434805/3265547-img_1964.jpg

DS2: https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/43/434805/3265545-img_1958.jpg

DS3: https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/43/434805/3265543-img_1950.jpg

EDIT: Added them to VGMDB for easier reading: http://vgmdb.net/album/70125

Dan-o

Comparing the tracklistings of the SL9 and box set (sorry, haven't checked Thinkgeek's version, but assume it's identical to SL9)...

Dark Souls
SL9 version has one extra track
- Kalameet

Dark Souls II
Bandai Namco box version has sixteen extra tracks
- Ancient Dragon
- Nashandra
- Longing
- Elana, The Squalid Qeen
- Sinh, The Slumbering Dragon
- Worshippers of the Dead
- Fume Knight
- Sin Alonne
- Aava, The King's Pet
- Burnt Ivory King
- Zallen and Lud
- Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin
- Nowhere
- Remains
- Bearer of the Curse
- Sin and Crowns

Dark Souls III
Bandai Namco box version has six extra tracks (if I'm counting them right, some look like medleys based on the names...)
- Sister Friede / Father Ariandel and Friede / Blackflame Friede
- Champion's Gravetender / Gravetender Greatwolf
- Demon from Below / Demon in Pain / Demon Prince
- Spear of the Church
- Darkeater Midir
- Slave Knight Gael

edit: sorry for any spelling errors.

crimnos

if anyone gets the SL9 DS records, I would love some pictures or a video of them.

Very curious to see how they are in real life and not just the promo material

I got DS I and II SpaceLab9 exclusives, but the ThinkGeek III was too nice to pass up. I haven't photographed the other two, but here's the SL9 DS I disc. The stripe in the center is shaped differently between DS I and II:

IE2EDI4.jpg

wiibomb

Still a little blurry, but better than the gallery on the site.

DS3: https://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/43/434805/3265543-img_1950.jpg

That extra vinyl with the DLC extras for DS3 are what are hurting me more.

I fear that if they put that set on US I'll end up buying it just because of the extra LP for DS3

I got DS I and II SpaceLab9 exclusives, but the ThinkGeek III was too nice to pass up. I haven't photographed the other two, but here's the SL9 DS I disc. The stripe in the center is shaped differently between DS I and II:

IE2EDI4.jpg

that looks nice! the gray area look pretty good too.

LaneDS

Comparing the tracklistings of the SL9 and box set (sorry, haven't checked Thinkgeek's version, but assume it's identical to SL9)...

Dark Souls
SL9 version has one extra track
- Kalameet

Dark Souls II
Bandai Namco box version has sixteen extra tracks
- Ancient Dragon
- Nashandra
- Longing
- Elana, The Squalid Qeen
- Sinh, The Slumbering Dragon
- Worshippers of the Dead
- Fume Knight
- Sin Alonne
- Aava, The King's Pet
- Burnt Ivory King
- Zallen and Lud
- Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin
- Nowhere
- Remains
- Bearer of the Curse
- Sin and Crowns

Dark Souls III
Bandai Namco box version has six extra tracks (if I'm counting them right, some look like medleys based on the names...)
- Sister Friede / Father Ariandel and Friede / Blackflame Friede
- Champion's Gravetender / Gravetender Greatwolf
- Demon from Below / Demon in Pain / Demon Prince
- Spear of the Church
- Darkeater Midir
- Slave Knight Gael

edit: sorry for any spelling errors.

Boy they really fucked this up.

RaidenZR

Just received my DS 1-3 from ThinkGeek. The shipping box, and all three albums were fucking hot as hell. They were definitely not shipped on a temperature controlled truck by any means and really just felt like they had been sitting in the boiler room. Not sure what to do about that. Afraid to even open the individual packages now.

This coupled with the news today of Bandai Namco's shitty idea to have two versions of this release has really soured me. What a royal "fuck you" to a semi-niche community. You have to go out of your way as a company to screw people over with lesser versions.

Dan-o

Just received my DS 1-3 from ThinkGeek. The shipping box, and all three albums were fucking hot as hell. They were definitely not shipped on a temperature controlled truck by any means and really just felt like they had been sitting in the boiler room. Not sure what to do about that. Afraid to even open the individual packages now.

I've received some pretty hot records a few times (Texas, y'all), but they should generally be ok... just give them lots of time to cool back down to room temperature before you take them out of the box, move them around, etc. and especially before you play them.
People who melt their records on purpose (for bowls or whatever) do it at about 200F and up. They could reach that temp in the back of a car or truck, especially in the summer.
It sucks that it's something to worry about... but temp. controlled shipping can get crazy expensive.

RaidenZR

I've received some pretty hot records a few times (Texas, y'all), but they should generally be ok... just give them lots of time to cool back down to room temperature before you take them out of the box, move them around, etc. and especially before you play them.
People who melt their records on purpose (for bowls or whatever) do it at about 200F and up. They could reach that temp in the back of a car or truck, especially in the summer.
It sucks that it's something to worry about... but temp. controlled shipping can get crazy expensive.

Thanks, I know but I've had records on my doorstep that have been out in summer heat (Texas here also) but still weren't as hot as these boxed and air-bubble protected records. They were very hot to the touch.

That said, I'm not touching them for days.

wiibomb

I really dislike this fascination with colored records. They sound like shit compared to their black or factory clear finishes.

as far as I have searched, colored record are exactly the same as black record, the ones that have a much worse sound quality are the ones with a picture on it, because they require a process to preserve the picture printed, and that process makes the actual record too thin to fit a good carving for quality.

the colored records are just PVC with some color, in some instanced they are able to give them an effect of different colors or like the DS ones, some effect on the PVC itself

I really dislike this fascination with colored records. They sound like shit compared to their black or factory clear finishes.

Nah this is completely false at least from what I've read from actual record pressers. Black and colored records do not have a noticeable difference in sound quality based on the color factor alone. There's a few exceptions with picture discs and glow in the dark records because of how they are made.

How a record is mastered and pressed is much more important to the records sound quality. Something like a mofi blue copy of Weezer's blue will sound amazing because of the care and quality control that goes into their presses (plus proper mastering). A lot of these collectible colored records don't sound good because they are pressed with high numbers from a single pressing plate and/or are not given enough time to cool. This can introduce a lot of static or warped sounds to the record or dead wax sounds or a host of other issues. This is also why somebody might say their copy sounds excellent while yours sounds bad (they got an early pressing from one of the stampers while you got a late pressing).

The one difference you might have with colored records is that, because the vinyl composition is different from that of a standard black vinyl, the colored vinyl record might wear down more quickly because the polymer isn't as strong.

Dark Souls II
- Ancient Dragon
- Nashandra
- Longing

Thankfully, these are on the Thinkgeek releases- you almost gave me a heart attack!

What a royal "fuck you" to a semi-niche community. You have to go out of your way as a company to screw people over with lesser versions.
Yeah it's some supreme bullshit. Thankfully I've my eye on a single VGM release for the rest of the year, so I'm limiting my exposure.... Silent Hill 2, I dream of you!

Dan-o

Thankfully, these are on the Thinkgeek releases- you almost gave me a heart attack!
Wait... The Thinkgeek and SL9 tracklistings are different, too?? Or is the SL9 websites tracklisting wrong?

Edit: the website only shows 4 tracks on Side D, but the image of the back cover shows 7 tracks... So hopefully just a typo.

rpbtz

Wait... The Thinkgeek and SL9 tracklistings are different, too?? Or is the SL9 websites tracklisting wrong?

Edit: the website only shows 4 tracks on Side D, but the image of the back cover shows 7 tracks... So hopefully just a typo.

Yeah, the ThinkGeek listing shows 7 tracks as well, so it's gotta be a typo on SL9s site.

JosiahB

http://i.imgur.com/IE2EDI4.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Damn. They look better than I expected. Pictures on the emails didn't do them justice. Still like the TG ones better, but still. Not bad.

[quote="rpbtz, post: 244634836"]Oh dammit... So, there's a Dark Souls trilogy vinyl box set coming from Bandai Namco: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TPRyBkFivU[/url]

It matches the original mockups with the number of discs. This was shared by Bandai Namco Europe so there's at least good news for the Europeans who've been holding out on the Spacelab9 copies.

EDIT: Description also says it's a 9LP set making this the largest VGM vinyl box set to date. Limited to 2000 copies.

EDIT 2: Bandai Namco says on Twitter that this will be for EMEA countries only.[/QUOTE]

I... I mean it's great that everyone has a chance at this now, but... Why couldn't they have done this for the US release?

rpbtz

BSR says there's only 5 copies left of the VA-11 HALL-A first pressing. I'm sure it's getting a repress, but if you want this color variant then they'll probably be gone very soon.

EDIT: All gone now, but you can sign up for notifications on the repress on their site.

I'll allow it. I have the whole set so far. It's better than that trash Matera collective keeps putting out.

I mean he does put the original tracks on his releases which is cool. But what he does is also just 100% illegal and it's amazing he hasn't received some letters from Nintendo.

BSR says there's only 5 copies left of the VA-11 HALL-A first pressing. I'm sure it's getting a repress, but if you want this color variant then they'll probably be gone very soon.

EDIT: All gone now, but you can sign up for notifications on the repress on their site.

well that's disappointing, I really wanted that and i'm not interested in a 2nd pressing so I guess i'll check ebay in September. Didn't think it would sell out in a couple days.

rpbtz

well that's disappointing, I really wanted that and i'm not interested in a 2nd pressing so I guess i'll check ebay in September. Didn't think it would sell out in a couple days.

Maybe a few cancelled orders will be available eventually. That wouldn't be too uncommon.

IrishNinja

i had a dream that there was a Nier vinyl & i missed it

have either of the games had a vinyl release and if not why do we live in an unjust timeline

Spwn

i had a dream that there was a Nier vinyl & i missed it

have either of the games had a vinyl release and if not why do we live in an unjust timeline

I'd find Square-Enix's lack of interest to put more game soundtracks on vinyl weird if they weren't a Japanese company. If I had to guess, there is more demand for the soundtracks in the West than in Japan, and they don't really care what their customers in the West want (like TWEWY 2, for example).

rpbtz

I'd find Square-Enix's lack of interest to put more game soundtracks on vinyl weird if they weren't a Japanese company. If I had to guess, there is more demand for the soundtracks in the West than in Japan, and they don't really care what their customers in the West want (like TWEWY 2, for example).

I agree with you, but ironically I think it's their Japanese division who's been behind all of their vinyl releases so far. Even the ones that made it to the EU and US stores.

Auctopus

Did you use an anti static brush on the record? As I learned, brand new record might have those problem when first played.

Yeah, and cleaned the needle. It's not a big deal, it happens a little on Prologue and a few tracks on Side C but less prominent.

Rest of the tracks sound great - forget how sharp the horns are on some tracks too.

Chindogg

Fuck I completely missed this. Where can I sign up for the repress?

Edit: nm found it. Hopefully I'll get a repress.

wiibomb

Never ordered from SL9 before - but I NEED the upcoming Borderlands vinyl.
https://blipblop.net/upcoming/borderlands-claptastic-voyage/

What is the best way to ensure I don't miss it? Just keep my eyes on this thread and Twitter?

I could not find any other info on its release.

Keep an eye on this thread, SL9 newsletter, twitter and instagram. They post whenever they have something announced.

This thread is how I got word that they had the limited DS vinyls.

Peagles

It's always baffled me how accepted bootleg stuff is when it comes to vinyl, even before this new surge of popularity (I grew up with my dad collecting vinyl).

If someone lists a bootleg record on our local auction site, it's completely acceptable. If someone lists a 'bootleg' video game though, it's removed immediately and sometimes the account suspended.

I guess it's more equivalent to a repro, but still.

Top Bottom