• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria: Azure Revolution |Import OT| Wild Armaments

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I want to believe this is good. This thread is demoralizing.

I actually thought The Bureau was pretty decent. A shame to hear about this game, as I was looking forward to another solid JRPG. Oh well, more time for FFXII.

Yeah, if this looked as good as The Bureau I think I'd be okay with that, I didn't mind that game at all.

Watching the Twitch clips of the English version. Lengthy cutscenes (though having half the cast of Persona 5 as your voice actors is nice) and battle looks weird and awkward. Watching a boss battle halfway through this video that just looks tedious. Maybe I will wait for a sale.

Yeah, if this looked as good as The Bureau I think I'd be okay with that, I didn't mind that game at all.

Watching the Twitch clips of the English version. Lengthy cutscenes (though having half the cast of Persona 5 as your voice actors is nice) and battle looks weird and awkward. Watching a boss battle halfway through this video that just looks tedious. Maybe I will wait for a sale.

Right. I'm just gonna hold off and probably get this for $20 at some point. Even Japanese players have been unhappy with the game.

Ventara

Hmmm, was able to get the game at a discount ($35 CDN, which is about $26 USD), but reading the bad impressions, I'm thinking maybe I should return it. Will watch some gameplay videos later.

Nyoro SF

I'll be posting the new OT later today.

I couldn't find any decent shots of gameplay in English, so some screenshots will still have the Japanese text on them.

CEJames

Being honest, I wasn't expecting much. I thought gameplay would be dull and story poor, but I am having fun.

God, I hope this simple impression is the same for me. This thread made me depressed. However, I believe I have a quite a lot of tolerable patience for even the most craziest trainwrecks. I've been looking forward to this for too long to be swayed now.

SephLuis

God, I hope this simple impression is the same for me. This thread made me depressed. However, I believe I have a quite a lot of tolerable patience for even the most craziest trainwrecks. I've been looking forward to this for too long to be swayed now.

If you go expecting Valkyria Chronicles, you will be disappointed. It's somewhat amazing that Revolution is the complete opposite of Chronicles, though not in a bad way.

For example, Chronicles was a strategy game with some action elements. Revolution is an action game with some strategy elements. This also extends to the story where Chronicles was a much more detailed story about a single country conflict, while Revolution ops for less detail and a bigger scale conflict.

I will say that Revolution won't become the cult classic Chronicles is, it isn't that good. However, there's certainly potential for them to do something different here.

If I were to compare with the Chronicles series, it feels like a weird mix of VC2 - VC3.

VC2 from a gameplay standpoint because there's plenty of new mechanics, however, they are not fine tuned yet. Unfortunately, the game didn't allowed me to start on hard difficulty which could have been much more interesting.

VC3 in the story department because it deals with a smaller team of characters and the story also follows a group that were forgotten by history. My main gripe with Revolution story so far is how some scenes are told and the camera placement of it. It kills the tension a scene would have or some aspects of the story really needed to be fleshed out more.

Again, I am liking the game. I expected it to be much, much worse to be honest. I played Shining Resonance, which was the game produced by the same team before Revolution and I was bored to hell because of the story. Revolution is more of a side step to the Chronicles series than a step back in my opinion so far.

Tohsaka

If you go expecting Valkyria Chronicles, you will be disappointed. It's somewhat amazing that Revolution is the complete opposite of Chronicles, though not in a bad way.

For example, Chronicles was a strategy game with some action elements. Revolution is an action game with some strategy elements. This also extends to the story where Chronicles was a much more detailed story about a single country conflict, while Revolution ops for less detail and a bigger scale conflict.

I will say that Revolution won't become the cult classic Chronicles is, it isn't that good. However, there's certainly potential for them to do something different here.

If I were to compare with the Chronicles series, it feels like a weird mix of VC2 - VC3.

VC2 from a gameplay standpoint because there's plenty of new mechanics, however, they are not fine tuned yet. Unfortunately, the game didn't allowed me to start on hard difficulty which could have been much more interesting.

VC3 in the story department because it deals with a smaller team of characters and the story also follows a group that were forgotten by history. My main gripe with Revolution story so far is how some scenes are told and the camera placement of it. It kills the tension a scene would have or some aspects of the story really needed to be fleshed out more.

Again, I am liking the game. I expected it to be much, much worse to be honest. I played Shining Resonance, which was the game produced by the same team before Revolution and I was bored to hell because of the story. Revolution is more of a side step to the Chronicles series than a step back in my opinion so far.

I'm still kinda bitter that we never got Shining Resonance in English. If it had a PS4 version it probably would've had a better chance at getting localized.

SephLuis

I'm still kinda bitter that we never got Shining Resonance in English. If it had a PS4 version it probably would've had a better chance at getting localized.

The game definitely needed the PS4 or some insane optimization. The battle system was simple, but quite good. Sometimes, though, the battles would occupy a very large area and, well, bring the PS3 to it's knees along with the frame rate.

My main issue with the game was the story, which was dull for most of the time. I don't think it would be well received if it was localized.

ianpm31

I'm going into this game not expecting or wanting VC gameplay in any way so I think I'll like this game from what I've seen

Strings

So, the first metacritic review is a 90...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...evolution-sony.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Like, it straight up hurts my brain. "Despite that, I still think that Valkyria Revolution is an intense, special, and downright important game, with a powerful message to share not just about war itself, but also how we also talk about, and share stories about, war." Eugh.

EDIT: I suppose it's worth noting that this reviewer praised the writing in Fire Emblem Fates, calling it similarly complex and nuanced.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...evolution-sony.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Like, it straight up hurts my brain. "Despite that, I still think that Valkyria Revolution is an intense, special, and downright important game, with a powerful message to share not just about war itself, but also how we also talk about, and share stories about, war." Eugh.

EDIT: I suppose it's worth noting that this reviewer praised the writing in Fire Emblem Fates, calling it similarly complex and nuanced.
What's wrong with that? If someone can take away something like that from a game, I think it's great.

Is this game gonna have reviews soon? It's now available in R3.

That review is kind of...bizarre. Like, he mistakes some extremely on the nose references to Shakespeare as narrative depth.

Strings

What's wrong with that? If someone can take away something like that from a game, I think it's great.

Is this game gonna have reviews soon? It's now available in R3.

/Shrug. I guess it's great they felt that way, but to me it's ludicrous. Why is referencing Shakespeare laudable in and of itself? Why go on about that instead of mentioning the terrible boss fights, the mess that is the targeting system, the student-tier cutscenes, etc?

Iunno, I will admit that I'm personally going to be extra critical of the reviews this game receives, because I do think it's genuinely a sub-5 product.

EmiPrime

Bizarre review.

If this game gets more than 50 on OC/MC it will be far more than it deserves. It's a clear 1/5 or 1-3/10 game because of how mind numbingly boring it is.

Oh, it's digitally downloaded. I don't bother with any of their opinions. They're almost afraid of being critical. Kinda Hilarious.

/Shrug. I guess it's great they felt that way, but to me it's ludicrous. Why is referencing Shakespeare laudable in and of itself? Why go on about that instead of mentioning the terrible boss fights, the mess that is the targeting system, the student-tier cutscenes, etc?

Iunno, I will admit that I'm personally going to be extra critical of the reviews this game receives, because I do think it's genuinely a sub-5 product.
Oh, so you've played it already?

Alucrid

Banned
"So you could argue that Valkyria Revolution isn’t inspired by Shakespeare if you like, but you’d be wrong. It’s explicitly so, and unlike a satire such as Ryan North’s To Be Or Not To Be, this one’s quite genuine about its Shakespearean homage, to the extent that you can almost imagine the developers doing their darndest to make the game play like it’s in iambic pentameter."

oh maybe that's why the combat sucks

Pantz

Only a few hours in, but I could see this being a 9/10 game. I really like the combat, the mix of action and strategy feels great. The cutscenes put this game on another level as being more than just a game. Don't really know what people are talking about with Shakespear, there are guns and mechs in this.

Top Bottom