• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

I like eggs : Page 3
Ryaaan14
Banned
(07-02-2013, 02:37 PM)
Ryaaan14's Avatar
I do indeed love me some fucking eggs.
friskykillface
Banned
(07-02-2013, 02:44 PM)
friskykillface's Avatar
Egg?


Eggs are great, but I should really stop putting so much salt on them, not good for, talking about hard boiled.

Scrambled is always good, and with toast B^)
PartTimeWarrior
Banned
(07-02-2013, 02:47 PM)
I can't stand eggs, but they always look so delicious to me
Luis_23
Member
(07-02-2013, 03:34 PM)
Luis_23's Avatar
I said OVER EASY!
dekline
Member
(07-02-2013, 03:47 PM)
dekline's Avatar
Totally gonna make eggs for breakfast
PackerinMN
Member
(07-02-2013, 04:02 PM)
PackerinMN's Avatar
I used to eat 3 eggs sunny side up/over easy with 4 slices of toast. I was killing myself with all the bread. So now I just do a scramble and add whatever I have in the fridge (jalapeńos, cheese, bacon, ham, chicken, steak etc...) and sometimes put it in a tortilla.

Any recommendations of vegetables to add for someone who is not a big veggie eater?
dreamcastfan
Member
(07-02-2013, 04:05 PM)
dreamcastfan's Avatar

Originally Posted by AbsolutBro

People cook egga in oil? Gross. Butter or nothin!

Im an over-easy guy. Can't deal with the runny whites in sunny side up, but liquid yolk is the best. Mixes so well with other breakfast foods!

Corned beef hash with 2 over easy eggs right on top. Cut the eggs so the yolk goes all over mix it all up with some hot sauce and pepper. Godly.

I used to love Corned beef hash when I was a kid.. Now the smell alone is just completely rancid.
DarkKyo
Member
(07-02-2013, 04:09 PM)
DarkKyo's Avatar
lunchtoast
Member
(07-02-2013, 04:17 PM)
lunchtoast's Avatar
Eggs are my main meal because they're cheap and go with anything.
BertramCooper
Banned
(07-02-2013, 04:19 PM)
BertramCooper's Avatar

Originally Posted by Friggz

did you use sour cream? i cant understand what hes saying when he puts the half tablespoon of something into the eggs.

It's creme fraiche, which is somewhat similar but not identical to sour cream.

Plain Greek yogurt works well in them, too.
BloodMoney
Banned
(07-02-2013, 04:20 PM)
me too
they are good
captainwhat
Member
(07-02-2013, 04:20 PM)
captainwhat's Avatar
Didn't really like eggs until I put hot sauce on them. God-tier bruh.
CRS
Member
(07-02-2013, 05:51 PM)
CRS's Avatar

Originally Posted by Luis_23

I said OVER EASY!

Spinach, onion, bell pepper, mushroom (I personally don't like them but others do), tomatoes (yes not a veggie), and avocado.
Rösti
Member
(07-02-2013, 06:22 PM)
Rösti's Avatar
Eggs, eggs, eggs!



I don't like eggs.
Bright Side of Life
Member
(07-02-2013, 06:44 PM)
Bright Side of Life's Avatar
Egg salad with avocado and wasabi mayo = awesome.

Gonna make some hard boiled eggs for my ramen for lunch.
ClassyPenguin
Banned
(07-02-2013, 06:46 PM)
ClassyPenguin's Avatar
Coconut oil is farce. No evidence has promoted it over conventional oils.
slit
Member
(07-02-2013, 06:49 PM)
slit's Avatar
Deviled eggs are best eggs.
Zefah
Member
(07-02-2013, 06:53 PM)
Really sad to see people avoiding eggs for misguided dietary advice from misguided people. Eggs are just about one of the best foods around.

I eat between two and eight just about every single day.

Originally Posted by ClassyPenguin

Coconut oil is farce. No evidence has promoted it over conventional oils.

Wait, what do you consider "conventional oils?" My personal go-to oils are butter, lard, coconut, and olive.
slit
Member
(07-02-2013, 06:55 PM)
slit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zefah

Really sad to see people avoiding eggs for misguided dietary advice from misguided people. Eggs are just about one of the best foods around.

I eat between two and eight just about every single day.


How much damage is done when you fart?
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
(07-02-2013, 06:56 PM)
Deadly Cyclone's Avatar
I eat 3 a day for breakfast. Delicious.
Zefah
Member
(07-02-2013, 06:57 PM)

Originally Posted by slit

How much damage is done when you fart?

I never have gas these days, so zero.
Clown_im_OP
Member
(07-02-2013, 06:59 PM)
Clown_im_OP's Avatar

Originally Posted by Friggz

did you use sour cream? i cant understand what hes saying when he puts the half tablespoon of something into the eggs.

Yeah he said creme fraiche but I used sour cream since we have that in the fridge all the time. Did not hamper the deliciousness.
ClassyPenguin
Banned
(07-02-2013, 06:59 PM)
ClassyPenguin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zefah

Really sad to see people avoiding eggs for misguided dietary advice from misguided people. Eggs are just about one of the best foods around.

I eat between two and eight just about every single day.



Wait, what do you consider "conventional oils?" My personal go-to oils are butter, lard, coconut, and olive.

those plus corn oil. It depends on the heat though.
Zefah
Member
(07-02-2013, 07:04 PM)

Originally Posted by ClassyPenguin

those plus corn oil. It depends on the heat though.

Pass on that corn oil. I tend to avoid any and all vegetable oils that require extreme processing to extract the oil from the source.
Deadly
Member
(07-02-2013, 07:05 PM)
I also tried the Gordon Ramsey way this morning thanks to this thread and definitely will be doing this more often!

As for the health issues, I actually asked this question to a nutritionist friend of mine a few weeks ago. She said generally you're only suppose to have 1 egg a day. Quick google search indicates that it's because the yolk contains ~184mg of cholesterol (that's 60% based on 2000 calories a day). If you proceed to eat just whites after, I imagine it's fine.
Zefah
Member
(07-02-2013, 07:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Deadly

I also tried the Gordon Ramsey way this morning thanks to this thread and definitely will be doing this more often!

As for the health issues, I actually asked this question to a nutritionist friend of mine a few weeks ago. She said generally you're only suppose to have 1 egg a day. Quick google search indicates that it's because the yolk contains ~184mg of cholesterol (that's 60% based on 2000 calories a day). If you proceed to eat just whites after, I imagine it's fine.

Except that dietary cholesterol doesn't really have a huge effect on blood cholesterol. What an expert of a nutritionist your friend is.
Takuan
Member
(07-02-2013, 07:08 PM)
Takuan's Avatar
Are eggs sunny-side up as bad for you as I've been hearing lately? I thought all the yummy goodness was in the yolk. I have eggs maybe once or twice a week, but I eat 3-4 at a time.
SkyOdin
Member
(07-02-2013, 07:08 PM)
SkyOdin's Avatar
My Dad taught me to cook over-easy eggs using a mix of about a table spoon of peanut oil and a table spoon of clarified butter. He says that the oil helps prevent the butter from burning.

I like my eggs over-easy, served with toast. My brother on the other hand prefers poached eggs. Scrambled eggs and omelets are great though. Just never order scrambled eggs at a cheap restaurant or diner.
Deadly
Member
(07-02-2013, 07:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Zefah

Except that dietary cholesterol doesn't really have a huge effect on blood cholesterol. What an expert of a nutritionist your friend is.

She did say generally. She studies in the field, and I'd sure take her word over yours. Anyways I'm not trying to convince anyone here.
Zefah
Member
(07-02-2013, 07:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Deadly

She did say generally. She studies in the field, and I'd sure take her word over yours. Anyways I'm not trying to convince anyone here.

It's totally understandable that you would take a friend's word over that of some random guy on the Internet. That doesn't stop her from being wrong, though.
Dead Prince
Banned
(07-02-2013, 07:32 PM)
Dead Prince's Avatar
deep fried eggs is the best.
Kite
Member
(07-02-2013, 07:40 PM)
Kite's Avatar
pfft eggs and ketchup is for kids and those who like their food sickly sweet. Try the superior version.
Ultima_5
Member
(07-02-2013, 08:04 PM)
Ultima_5's Avatar

Originally Posted by hateful

I used to eat 3 eggs sunny side up/over easy with 4 slices of toast. I was killing myself with all the bread. So now I just do a scramble and add whatever I have in the fridge (jalapeńos, cheese, bacon, ham, chicken, steak etc...) and sometimes put it in a tortilla.

Any recommendations of vegetables to add for someone who is not a big veggie eater?

i like to make veggie omelettes. i normally put in spinach, olives, a bit of tomatoe, mushrooms, onions, scallions, peppers, et cetera. brocolli can go pretty well too..

pretty much any of em
jmdajr
Member
(07-02-2013, 08:04 PM)
jmdajr's Avatar
I can eat about 1 egg. Over that and it's too much.
Nose Master
Member
(07-02-2013, 08:06 PM)
Nose Master's Avatar
Best base breakfast food. I feel wonderful every day that I have eggs in the morning.
dralla
Member
(07-02-2013, 08:06 PM)
dralla's Avatar
Fry my eggs in coconut oil almost every day. For dinner, sometimes I'll throw ground beef and veggies in a frying pan, then add 2 eggs in at the end, mix it all together nomnomnom
WorldStar
Banned
(07-02-2013, 08:14 PM)

Originally Posted by PairOfFilthySocks

Doesn't it not really matter as long as you take the yokes out?

The yokes are the best part for you, so this is horrible advice.

Originally Posted by Deadly

As for the health issues, I actually asked this question to a nutritionist friend of mine a few weeks ago. She said generally you're only suppose to have 1 egg a day. Quick google search indicates that it's because the yolk contains ~184mg of cholesterol (that's 60% based on 2000 calories a day). If you proceed to eat just whites after, I imagine it's fine.

You should let your "nutritionist" friend know that dietary cholesterol does not have an effect on our cholesterol levels. Once again, eggs contain polyunsaturated fats. Which can actually lower cholesterol. Which is why if you read the thread you'll see other people have the same results:

Originally Posted by Hazaro

Anecdotal, but my cholesterol was low after being on low-carb and eating 3 or 4 eggs a day.

I eat about 3-5 eggs a day and have very healthy cholesterol levels.
CharlieDigital
Banned
(07-02-2013, 08:15 PM)

Originally Posted by FallingEdge

best way to make scrambled eggs

so good. make 4 eggs scrambled like that or in an omelet. love it.

Jacques Pepin beats that shit hands down
Hilbert
Deep into his 30th decade
(07-02-2013, 08:16 PM)
Hilbert's Avatar
I also love eggs. Hard boiled, fried, potato salad, angel food cake, scrambled with chorizo....

Too bad I am so allergic to them.
Deadly
Member
(07-02-2013, 08:40 PM)

Originally Posted by adamy

You should let your "nutritionist" friend know that dietary cholesterol does not have an effect on our cholesterol levels. Once again, eggs contain polyunsaturated fats. Which can actually lower cholesterol. Which is why if you read the thread you'll see other people have the same results:

I eat about 3-5 eggs a day and have very healthy cholesterol levels.

Good for you then but GENERALLY professionals will recommend you one a day.

Recent research has shown that moderate egg consumption—up to one a day—does not increase heart disease risk in healthy individuals (1, 2) and can be part of a healthy diet.

This research doesn’t give the green light to daily three-egg omelets. While a 2008 report from the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study supports the idea that eating an egg a day is generally safe for the heart, it also suggests that going much beyond that could increase the risk for heart failure later in life

When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:

If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day.
If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or a high low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") blood cholesterol level, you should limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 200 mg a day.

"In order to keep your LDL and your risk for heart disease low," the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) argues, "you should start on [a] heart-healthy diet" that includes fewer than 300 milligrams (mg) of cholesterol per day from all sources.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...lesterol_Risks
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608
WorldStar
Banned
(07-02-2013, 08:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Deadly

Good for you then but GENERALLY professionals will recommend you one a day.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...lesterol_Risks
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

A 2007 study of nearly 10,000 adults demonstrated no correlation between moderate egg consumption and cardiovascular disease or strokes, except in the subpopulation of diabetic patients who presented an increased risk of coronary heart disease.

There are studies from 2012 that contradict the studies in the links you provided. The most recent study your links cite to is 2008.

The most recent study on this issue that I can find, published in 2013, concludes that there is no link between egg consumption and heart disease/stroke.

As for the recommendations of professionals, I've had 2 doctors tell me that I can eat all the eggs I want because of recent findings in regards to how our body handles dietary cholesterol.

If dietary cholesterol worked how you believe it does, then I would be consuming 300% based on my 2k calories per day. Given that I have healthy cholesterol, you can see how your reasoning is problematic...

But I don't blame you for believing a friend over someone online. And who knows, given how often the medical community changes their mind, for all I know in a few docs will conclude that eggs somehow effect estrogen and are turning me into a female or some shit or some other crazy shit.

EDIT: fixed links
Addnan
Member
(07-02-2013, 09:00 PM)
I like eggs too. Don't know if eating 4 a day is too much, oh well.
triplestation
Banned
(07-02-2013, 09:03 PM)
triplestation's Avatar
scrambled eggs are about as bland as it gets even with salt and pepper and creme fraiche, just such a boring dish

i like my eggs spicy or sunnyside up/over easy on toast or with some rice, that shit is tasty

i also appreciate eggs because it give us







a crucial ingredient in all of these
Deadly
Member
(07-02-2013, 09:10 PM)

Originally Posted by adamy

A 2007 study of nearly 10,000 adults demonstrated no correlation between moderate egg consumption and cardiovascular disease or strokes, except in the subpopulation of diabetic patients who presented an increased risk of coronary heart disease.

There are studies from 2012 that contradict the studies in the links you provided. The most recent study your links cite to is 2008.

The most recent study on this issue, published in 2013, concludes that there is no link between egg consumption and heart disease/stroke.

As for the recommendations of professionals, I've had 2 doctors tell me that I can eat all the eggs I want because of recent findings in regards to how our body handles dietary cholesterol.

If dietary cholesterol worked how you believe it does, then I would be consuming 300% based on my 2k calories per day. Given that I have healthy cholesterol, you can see how your reasoning is problematic...

But I don't blame you for believing a friend over someone online. And who knows, given how often the medical community changes their mind, for all I know in a few docs will conclude that eggs somehow effect estrogen and are turning me into a female or some shit or some other crazy shit.

EDIT: fixed links

I'm all for believing otherwise if you've given sufficient information to back up your opinion, which you have now. But like you said, seeing how they contradict their opinions so often, I would, personally, rather stick to a not so crazy amount. Guess I won't feel as bad for eating two a day now.
WorldStar
Banned
(07-02-2013, 09:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Deadly

I'm all for believing otherwise if you've given sufficient information, which you have now. But like you said, seeing how they contradict their opinions so often, I would, personally, rather stick to a not so crazy amount. Guess I won't feel as bad for eating two a day now.

This is why I generally find it difficult to argue too intensely on this issue.

In trying to prove my point, I cite to the medical community and their journals. But these journals are inconsistent as fuck and seem to constantly contradict themselves.

In the past 10 or so years, I think they've gone back and forth +10 times in regards to whether red wine has any health benefits, whether butter will kill us, whether we are getting enough iodine through table salt on its own, whether the mercury in fish will kills us (and whether only predatory fish pose this risk, assuming there is one), whether organic fruits/vegetables are superior, whether organic dairy products are superior, etc.

But even if we are to synthesize the links you provided with the links I provided, 2 eggs surely won't kill you ;)
eternaLightness
Member
(07-02-2013, 09:19 PM)
eternaLightness's Avatar
I love me some eggs. I used to ask for them all the time when I was younger. I think I'm gonna have to try Gordon Ramsay's version of scrambled eggs. I've never made them like that before.
Takuan
Member
(07-02-2013, 09:28 PM)
Takuan's Avatar

Originally Posted by adamy

This is why I generally find it difficult to argue too intensely on this issue.

In trying to prove my point, I cite to the medical community and their journals. But these journals are inconsistent as fuck and seem to constantly contradict themselves.

In the past 10 or so years, I think they've gone back and forth +10 times in regards to whether red wine has any health benefits, whether butter will kill us, whether we are getting enough iodine through table salt on its own, whether the mercury in fish will kills us (and whether only predatory fish pose this risk, assuming there is one), whether organic fruits/vegetables are superior, whether organic dairy products are superior, etc.

But even if we are to synthesize the links you provided with the links I provided, 2 eggs surely won't kill you ;)

I think the key is to monitor your levels and adjusting consumption accordingly. We should get our blood checked regularly anyway.
Zefah
Member
(07-02-2013, 09:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Deadly

Good for you then but GENERALLY professionals will recommend you one a day.




http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...lesterol_Risks
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

I only clicked the Harvard link, but in the text you chose not to quote, it (seemingly grudgingly) admits this:

While it’s true that egg yolks have a lot of cholesterol—and so may weakly affect blood cholesterol levels—eggs also contain nutrients that may help lower the risk for heart disease, including protein, vitamins B12 and D, riboflavin, and folate.

A solid body of research shows that for most people, cholesterol in food has a much smaller effect on blood levels of total cholesterol and harmful LDL cholesterol than does the mix of fats in the diet.

Why limit it to one then?

All of those links say to limit your consumption of dietary cholesterol, but they fail to explain why.
adelante
Member
(07-02-2013, 09:47 PM)
adelante's Avatar

Originally Posted by CharlieDigital

Jacques Pepin beats that shit hands down

WOW.

I must try this.
Price Dalton
Member
(07-02-2013, 09:47 PM)
Price Dalton's Avatar

Originally Posted by umop_3pisdn

Scrambled in coconut oil, salsa, and turmeric and topped with avocado and black pepper wrapped in a soft taco is pretty good. Turmeric and eggs go together quite well imo.

Agreed. Go well with fresh-squeezed orange juice, too. Six soft boiled eggs in kosher salt and turmeric with a glass of OJ every day.

Thread Tools