• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

giggas

So has anyone given Palutena a ton of hearts yet? It says you get nothing out of it, but she does walk closer towards the screen so surely SOMETHING must happen when she gets lots of them.

So has anyone given Palutena a ton of hearts yet? It says you get nothing out of it, but she does walk closer towards the screen so surely SOMETHING must happen when she gets lots of them.

People around the net have given over 160,000 hearts and still nothing.

Rumors say that you get something at 500,000 or a million, but y'know, rumors. People will say anything to troll.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Chapter
- OH MY GOD. Just when I think it can't get any better, it does.

I know that review scores don't matter, but when I look at metacritics and see 83, my reaction is basically this:

Wait until chapter
. You're about to have your mind fucking blown.

Could be the lowest scored game on metacritic to win GOTY on gaf :)

no chance in hell, out way too early and a nintendo handheld game, there will be some boring spiderbatmancodbethesdaoblivion game in the fall that will get it.

but at this moment i'd definitely vote for it. and i'd be surprised if it moves out of my top 2-3.

zroid

Banned
no chance in hell, out way too early and a nintendo handheld game, there will be some boring spiderbatmancodbethesdaoblivion game in the fall that will get it.

but at this moment i'd definitely vote for it. and i'd be surprised if it moves out of my top 2-3.

Well, I think we can at least say with certainty that Mass Effect 3 won't be in the running
although it was a really good game... mostly

KI:U GOTQ (quarter)

PK Gaming

So I beat the game. It was a long wait, and I even doubted the game at some points... but.

I can say without a doubt that is the best handheld game i've ever played. Yes it has surpassed even the all powerful DS games of old for me, its just THAT good. I'm still reeling, and there are a couple of things I have to do, but damn the game is too good.

KevinCow

Banned
People around the net have given over 160,000 hearts and still nothing.

Rumors say that you get something at 500,000 or a million, but y'know, rumors. People will say anything to troll.

If you Surf behind the S.S. Anne and use Cut on the truck's tires then move it with Strength, then donate 1 billion hearts to Palutena, you get Mew.

Tom_Cody

From what I've read, almost every review was overwhelmingly positive about the entire experience EXCEPT the controls; and considering that controls are such an essential part of gaming, I'd say an 83 on Metacritic is pretty damned fair.
Grumble... The near universal opinion of this thread is that the controls have a steep initial learning curve, but then they come to feel totally natural and perfectly suited to the gameplay.

After about 8 hours of play time I give the controls an A rating, though I admit that they bothered me for my first half hour of play.

Sinthetic

I'm getting so good at this now. Everything is so smooth and I can't imagine the game with different controls. This is up there with Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Brawl and Pikmin as one of my all time favourite Nintendo games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pit marries
Magnus
. It's the comedy event of the century.

This game has so much good dialogue, it's amazing, I love how characters just eavesdrop on your Palutena comm chatter.

Dialogue is by far the best part of the game. It's consistently hilarious, crazy and full of wisecracks. Nobody is safe from the stupid, including the characters themselves.

Tom_Cody

When you find them, you unlock them to be dropped elsewhere or fused.

Y'know all the Xs and question marks when you go to fuse? Eventually you will be able to fuse anything with anything. You can't fuse stuff you haven't unlocked yet, weapons named after story mode characters you haven't met yet, etc.
Ok, that makes sense. These special weapon types are included in the 108 types, correct? There aren't any secret super special types (that we know of)?

Another question:

Do weapon star ratings refer to the strength of the weapon relative to other weapons of that type (e.g. all palms) or of that specific weapon (e.g. pudgy palms specifically).

Count me among those who would pay money for a detailed weapons guide.

DSmalls84

Did anyone ever find out what giving hearts to paluetena does?

Also does the number of Stars determine how powerful a weapon is? I'm not really sure what the stars and numbers mean.

Tom_Cody

*sigh* I really wish Nintendo would up the limit of street passes you can get at a given time. I remember going to Nintendo world, staying there for at least an hour (that's not counting the time I was pursuing the city either) and only having the Max of 10 passes all because I forgot to reset. :-\
Don't even get me started. I found out about the limited after a day spent at New York Comic-con. Nintendo's booth was absolutely mobbed. I'm sure I could have gotten 100+ tags if I had know about the 10 limit.

God, I already love Street Pass and the only thing I really use it for Puzzle Swap. Now that I'm playing KIU, I will certainly find myself at Nintendo World more often...

I don't get people who don't know that. I'm pretty sure I knew it day 1.

The first situation I was in with lots of people to streetpass with (GenCon) I went in and out like 5 times collecting passes.

ryushe

Good lord, the graphics in chapter
. Lava in 3D has never looked so good!
make sure you go the longer route not only to hear what I thought was interesting dialogue between Pit and Palutena, but you get to see an absolutely amazing scene that follows that you don't see if you go the other way.

Ok, that makes sense. These special weapon types are included in the 108 types, correct? There aren't any secret super special types (that we know of)?

I am pretty sure there are no super secret types.

Also does the number of Stars determine how powerful a weapon is? I'm not really sure what the stars and numbers mean.

http://shinparu.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/強さとスキル?sid=6a75cde6c50696f3e95907e65e5d959d

4gBns.png

massoluk

Banned
So I beat the game. It was a long wait, and I even doubted the game at some points... but.

I can say without a doubt that is the best handheld game i've ever played. Yes it has surpassed even the all powerful DS games of old for me, its just THAT good. I'm still reeling, and there are a couple of things I have to do, but damn the game is too good.

Strong words. I'm not sure I'd say it is better than every DS games out there (Ouendan is still no.1 for me), but I would say that in term of production value, extra, and amount of contents, this game blew everything away by a country mile.

Sadist

Okay this is stupid.

Chapter 19

At a certain point at the tower you have to cross some paths with gusts of wind trying to blow you off. I can't seem to cross the last one. Help please :(

zroid

Banned
Pretty much. I mean there's no way those other people could have problems.. I just went to casualgamer.com and they gave it a perfect 10.

everyone's just been too coddled by dual analogue lately, and can't get into the zone necessary to get kills in this game.

StAidan

Ugh. Not sure I cared much for chapter 5.

I found some parts of the environment hard to interpret, visually speaking. Fell down bottomless chasms a number of times. Eventually figured out I should be playing with the 3D turned up, but even that didn't solve it completely.

Pandora/Dark Pit dialog was entertaining, though.

Disguises

Err, I don't think that answers my question, though I may just not be understanding the translation.

Do weapon star ratings refer to the strength of the weapon relative to other weapons of that type (e.g. all palms) or of that specific weapon (e.g. pudgy palms specifically)?
Unique to that specific weapon.

Okay this is stupid.

Chapter 19

At a certain point at the tower you have to cross some paths with gusts of wind trying to blow you off. I can't seem to cross the last one. Help please :(

I don't think it's anything more complex than standing at the end closest to the wind's source and then dashing. You can dash against it in order to gain a little leverage and aim yourself a bit better toward the platform on the other side of the wind, if that helps any.

Err, I don't think that answers my question, though I may just not be understanding the translation.

Do weapon star ratings refer to the strength of the weapon relative to other weapons of that type (e.g. all palms) or of that specific weapon (e.g. pudgy palms specifically)?

Yeah, I changed the person I was quoting to the other guy who asked a more relevant question. :) But it's still partly relevant...

Basically it says that stars increase the weapon's percentage of its original power. Every weapon has its own strength stat and stars increase that by a percent. Some weapons are better than others even among the same type.

Disguises

Wow. Weapon fusing just became that much more confusing.
Tell me about it! I had an awesome 5/5 star weapon, got bored of it and fused it into something with better abilities (but lost stars) and now I can't do the first level at 9.0 difficulty anymore :(.

I also have tons of weapons just sitting there waiting to be fused with the right weapon to retain the right abilities I want to pass down. :S (I would REALLY like to keep +6 defence, while also increasing the star power of the weapons)

I had no self control and finished the game in basically one sitting, so i'm finding it hard to compose my thoughts but all i can say is wow. probably the best cast/dialogue I've had the pleasure of listening to in a videogame since ...well last year but thats not the point. The controls weren't nearly as "bad" as people had me expecting and the plot... it was basically like a a saturday morning cartoon / anime but with every chapter/"episode" being more bigger and surprising than the last. The gameplay , weapon options and betting system is top notch as well.

zroid

Banned
are the spotpass weapon gems set in stone (so to speak) or delivered randomly? I got a viper blade 218, insight staff 264, and standard orbitars 191 on the first 3 days.

Seems like the controls are only too hard for Hardcore gamers and reviewers.
It is a bit difficult if you're left-handed.

Otherwise, I agree entirely. My wife played for the first time last night and did just fine. I thought to myself: "My wife is better at videogames than Jim Sterling." Aw yeah!

Sadist

I don't think it's anything more complex than standing at the end closest to the wind's source and then dashing. You can dash against it in order to gain a little leverage and aim yourself a bit better toward the platform on the other side of the wind, if that helps any.
Got it allready :p

Chapter 19 is a bit long for a handheld game though.

It is a bit difficult if you're left-handed.

Otherwise, I agree entirely. My wife played for the first time last night and did just fine. I thought to myself: "My wife is better at videogames than Jim Sterling." Aw yeah!

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the difficulty of the game, not the controls.

Go ahead, pour all your hearts in the fiend's cauldron. Slide it up to 9. What's the worst that can happen.

*smirk*

hahahahahaha.

Playing the hardest difficulty is like pulling out your own intestines and letting them be feast upon by hungry tigers
The cool thing about making a game with this much variability in difficulty is that you can appease the hardcore fans by making the hardest difficulty absolutely ridiculous and no one can get upset about it.

jrDev

Hey guys, I preordered this but haven't picked up from GameStop yet. For the classic 3d game, does a code to download on shop print out on the receipt?

Top Bottom