• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Giant

Banned
Wow, at the easter show. There was a group of 15-16 year olds singing All Star by Smash Mouth.

I was thinking holy shit, you kids have some really bad taste in music.

Fredescu

I'm about an hour from the nearest Costco. How much does a membership cost?

$60 I think? Not worth it for the shirts alone. I've had expensive shirts before, but I don't bother anymore, I just grab a shirt or two whenever I'm at Costco. I'm not in an industry where I have to impress clients face to face though.

Anyone have any objections to it?

Wheel covers are annoying because you'll lose one one day and your car will look weird. As legend mentioned, full service history is key. If it doesn't have it, walk away.

Wow, at the easter show. There was a group of 15-16 year olds singing All Star by Smash Mouth.

I was thinking holy shit, you kids have some really bad taste in music.

Letting go of my elitism and enjoying fun pop music was difficult but ultimately worth it.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Was able to snag a lay-by of Neon Switch at Big W while staff 10% was active for the long weekend. I can't find any Zelda though, game is super rare in Big W chains, at least here in Queensland. Out of stock online as well, which is a shame but hey it's not hard to get it cheaper these days.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
To those that have been overseas to the US and to any of these states. What the fuck is worth someone's time?!

Seattle (Not really this one, no time to see stuff..maybe)
New York
Florida (Disneyworld+Universal is on lock)
LA
Vegas (Penn & Teller show.. I must see this)
San Diego (Zoo + Park)
San Fran (Full house house??)

I'm still floating around ideas as to what I want to see and do but i'm seriously open for suggestions if anyone has them.

To those that have been overseas to the US and to any of these states. What the fuck is worth someone's time?!

New York
LA
San Diego (Zoo + Park)

I'm still floating around ideas as to what I want to see and do but i'm seriously open for suggestions if anyone has them.

NY, LA, Las Vegas, maybe SF

My plan is to do all of the ones i listed, probably not in that order. Just wondering if there's any sights etc I should really add to my list.

Yosemite National Park, Devil's Tower Wyoming, New Orleans, Boston. The place is huge. Pick a few that you want to see in detail otherwise you'll spend half your trip in airports, car journeys, etc.

in gaming news. I'm sick to the tits of this Yooka Laylee bullshit, So amazingly unfriendly and painful to play much of the time. I know I can probably go and do some other task instead of the one where I'm dying 150 times to beat but I'm just done.

Yosemite National Park, Devil's Tower Wyoming, New Orleans, Boston. The place is huge. Pick a few that you want to see in detail otherwise you'll spend half your trip in airports, car journeys, etc.

in gaming news. I'm sick to the tits of this Yooka Laylee bullshit, So amazingly unfriendly and painful to play much of the time. I know I can probably go and do some other task instead of the one where I'm dying 150 times to beat but I'm just done.
You could spend a week in New York by itself and not see everything.

Also, from what you said, it looks like the developers captured the spirit of the original Banjo games.

To those that have been overseas to the US and to any of these states.
How much time do you have? IMO LA is kinda dull unless you're super into celebrities (though Santa Monica and Venice are nice for an afternoon). San Francisco is a nice city, worth a few days at least, and since it's close to Vegas an LA you may as well do all three.

New York is killer so if you have time to go East definitely spend time there. Can't speak for Florida - Miami seems interesting but if you want theme parks you may as well just go to Universal Studios and Disneyland out West instead, since you'll get your fill of that stuff in Vegas anyway.

Again, depends on how much time you have and the sorts of things you like to do. It's a big country and you don't want to spend all your time in a plane or train or whatever.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
With people asking about how much time I have. I personally don't have a limit.

I was thinking 4 - 5 weeks or so should cover it. 1 week for Dota 2 in seattle and then the rest for everything else.

I have ~6 months of annual leave up my sleeve, so there's plenty of time for me to spend out there and work has been dying for me to take leave because I have so much.

Taking 6 weeks off work or so would probably get approved instantly.

New York
LA
San Diego (Zoo + Park)

Florida has NXT

Looks like arcades really are making a come back. This new place opening in Brisbane next month sounds pretty good: http://bmag.com.au/things-to-do-in-...anes-largest-retro-arcade-set-to-open-in-may/

"There are no coins and no time limits — just complete access with a one-day ($15), weekly ($29), monthly ($79) or quarterly ($129) pass.... Some of the games that have been confirmed for the launch include The Simpsons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tekken, Blazing Star, Virtua Cop 2, Rave Racer, Club GTi, and a variety of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and NeoGeo titles."

hirokazu

Looks like arcades really are making a come back. This new place opening in Brisbane next month sounds pretty good: http://bmag.com.au/things-to-do-in-...anes-largest-retro-arcade-set-to-open-in-may/

"There are no coins and no time limits — just complete access with a one-day ($15), weekly ($29), monthly ($79) or quarterly ($129) pass.... Some of the games that have been confirmed for the launch include The Simpsons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tekken, Blazing Star, Virtua Cop 2, Rave Racer, Club GTi, and a variety of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and NeoGeo titles."
That sounds awesome, but how do they manage number of visitors at the same time and people hogging a machine if they don't have to pay per play?

That sounds awesome, but how do they manage number of visitors at the same time and people hogging a machine if they don't have to pay per play?

Good questions. I look forward to finding out the answers!

With fighting games at least, I'm sure it will be an "honour" system. Winner plays on, challengers step up. You get one attempt at victory, then back to the end of the queue. Other games I guess play until you finish the game? Most of the arcade games only take half hour odd to clock anyway.

Bernbaum

If they get an X-men arcade cabinet I'll be over the fucking moon. I never picked it up on XBLA before it got delisted.

Novocaine

Hi AusGAF. Does anybody here have any recommendations for a good modem/router for NBN? I'm sick to fucking death of this Telstra modem keeping the NAT on my Xbox One as strict.

Preferably something that's easy to configure.

r1chard

Officially made redundant today. A week to go so I can tidy up any OpenStack loose ends (actually kinda nice of Rackspace to do that, they normally have people leave immediately, so it's good to have the chance to tie up loose ends in the broader open source community).

Job hunting already commenced, but I'm looking forward to a brief amount of time off. Mostly so I can get my LL up to something that Marsh will respect.

I am using a combined modem/router, the Gateway one Telstra supplies you.
Assign your Xbone a static IP address (either by setting it in your DHCP mapping on the router, or by narrowing the DHCP address pool and then manually setting your Xbone IP address to something outside it) and then put that IP address in the DMZ on your router. Note: only do this for a console, never another device.

Officially made redundant today. A week to go so I can tidy up any OpenStack loose ends (actually kinda nice of Rackspace to do that, they normally have people leave immediately, so it's good to have the chance to tie up loose ends in the broader open source community).

Job hunting already commenced, but I'm looking forward to a brief amount of time off. Mostly so I can get my LL up to something that Marsh will respect.
Sorry to hear that mate. It's a horrible time, but someone with your sort of background will be back on their feet in no time.

Sorry dude, hope to catch you on Destiny again at some point

bridging with an Asus68tu helped me alot

tho iv not tried to DMZ anything on this model

just how easy is it on the Asus line up ?
DMZ setup is as simple as adding an IP address. The only question is whether your device actually has DMZ functionality (only really old stuff or cheapo stuff lack it these days).

trinest

I am using a combined modem/router, the Gateway one Telstra supplies you.

Theres your problem.

(Though the new Gateway 2 series is okay its still not amazing).

I find the newer TP-Link Archer modems with the new UI are the easiest to setup and change settings and decent modems.

Theres your problem.

I find the newer TP-Link Archer modems with the new UI are the easiest to setup and change settings and decent modems.

thats not a cable modem is it ?

when people say NBN mass confusion occurs , telstra have a relly small whitelist as far as modems go

Novocaine

Assign your Xbone a static IP address (either by setting it in your DHCP mapping on the router, or by narrowing the DHCP address pool and then manually setting your Xbone IP address to something outside it) and then put that IP address in the DMZ on your router. Note: only do this for a console, never another device.

I have done that to no avail. I'm trying to deactivate Telstra Air because that seems to work for some people but for some reason the request isn't going through. I'll call them after work if it isn't done by then and if that doesn't change anything I'll be looking at new routers on Friday.

Theres your problem.

It's sucks because there are topics on their support forum for this exact issue from years ago and it's still a problem. I'll take a look at those modems, I've never heard of the brand before.

Quasar

Happy to see that Prime Video Australia is running the new AMC version of American Gods.

Pretty much expected Foxtel to have it.

r1chard

Has anyone got any experience doing contracting on their own? I've got an offer of a 3 month contract but I'm in the dark how I would manage it. I think I need to set up a business and stuff, probably get an accountant? Is something like http://www.payme.com.au/ worth it, assuming they handle all that stuff?

Has anyone got any experience doing contracting on their own? I've got an offer of a 3 month contract but I'm in the dark how I would manage it. I think I need to set up a business and stuff, probably get an accountant? Is something like http://www.payme.com.au/ worth it, assuming they handle all that stuff?

you probably just need to get an ABN and just make sure you keep some of the cash aside for tax (assuming they don't pay it for you).

Shaneus

FYI, ABC iView has the entire first season of The Games available to stream. I'd never seen it before, but I loved the first episode!

hirokazu

You probably need to get an ABN, you don't need to set up a company but register for an individual/sole trader ABN. In most cases, you have to charge GST for the contract work that you do, but I think there are exceptions. You might need to speak to an accountant for the details.

You'll probably need to pay PAYG tax yourself as they'd be paying you the full gross amount rather than doing that for you, as well as the GST from earlier. Usually this is done on a quarterly basis.

If they're employing you as a part-time or full-time equivalent for the duration of the contract, check with them beforehand that they'll be paying you super on top of it. They're supposed to do so if you're working as a part-time or full-time equivalent, even if you're on contract work.

Not sure about insurance and any other requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom