• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mittens: Obama most Anti-business president since Jimmy Carter:

During a campaign stop in Chantilly, Virgina, presumptive nominee Mitt Romney again compared President Obama to conservative bete noire former President Jimmy Carter. “It was the most anti-small-business administration I’ve seen probably since Carter,” Romney said. “Who would’ve guessed we’d look back at the Carter years as the good ol’ days, you know?”

Someone needs to remind Mittens that Carter created 10 million jobs, in one term even! A higher rate of job creation than even his beloved Ray-gun.

Though I guess in fairness, he did said Obama's anti business, not necessarily the same thing as not being a "job creator".

Obama's numbers have plummeted in the gallup tracker
http://www.gallup.com/poll/150743/Obama-Romney.aspx
It's gallup dude. Look at their related story

"Obama Now at 50% Job Approval; Leads Romney, 49% to 42%"

That was just a week ago.

Not sure why they're still held up as some sort of gold standard in polling, their daily tracker is so jank.

You'll also notice that Obama's job approval today is 49%. That's almost impossible to reconcile with a Romney lead, even if it is just a point.

Yeah, more info here:

The Romney campaign, who reportedly tried multiple times to convince Grenell to stay on staff, issued a statement Wednesday defend Grenell and his qualifications for the job.

"We are disappointed that Ric decided to resign from the campaign for his own personal reasons," Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades said. "We wanted him to stay because he had superior qualifications for the position he was hired to fill."

However, qualifications aside, the firestorm over his hiring eventually led to his loss from the campaign. In Grenell's letter to the Post, he concluded with "I want to thank Governor Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team."

People dish to Andrew Sullivan on this, http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast...med-as-part-of-the-call-a-reporter-asked.html

As I said before, the issue here came that the campaign asked their Foreign Policy spokesman to stay quiet in a week when it was all about foreign policy.

He'd been part of organizing a conference call to respond to Vice President Biden's foreign policy speech, now known best for the "big stick" remark. So some reporters were puzzled as to why Grenell, a week into his job as Romney's national security spokesman, was not introduced by name as part of the Romney team at the beginning of the call, and his voice completely absent from the conversation. Some even called and questioned him afterwards as to why he was absent. He wasn't absent. He was simply muzzled. For a job where you are supposed to maintain good relations with reporters, being silenced on a key conference call on your area of expertise is pretty damaging. Especially when you helped set it up.

He had been asked to keep his mouth shut until things calm down with the right wing bigots. If anything this proves Romney doesn't have the spine to make tough decisions. He really would be a rubber stamp President.

Mittens: Obama most Anti-business president since Jimmy Carter:

Someone needs to remind Mittens that Carter created 10 million jobs, in one term even! A higher rate of job creation than even his beloved Ray-gun.

Though I guess in fairness, he did said Obama's anti business, not necessarily the same thing as not being a "job creator".

I guess Mitt needs to review this cartoon from a few pages back.

536802_403874706301902_113544412001601_1260461_1765020208_n.jpg

Al-ibn Kermit

Guys, I just wanted to say I loves ma new job. Normally when I'm at work, I have to be discreet when I'm dicking around on political websites. But my current new job allows me to dick around on political websites out in the open!

I'm living the capitalist dream! (no thanks to Obama)

Wasn't it you who said that you work for the Obama campaign?

He's got a bet to win, for pete's sake.
A 10,000 dollar bet?

cartoon_soldier said:
As I said before, the issue here came that the campaign asked their Foreign Policy spokesman to stay quiet in a week when it was all about foreign policy.
I have to imagine any attempt Romney would take at attacking Obama's foreign policy record would severely backfire given the events over the past couple of days. And the whole OBL thing.

Rumsfeld, who criticized Obama saying the Osama call he made was easy, called off a similar raid in 2005.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/washington/08intel.html?_r=2&pagewanted=print

A secret military operation in early 2005 to capture senior members of Al Qaeda in Pakistan’s tribal areas was aborted at the last minute after top Bush administration officials decided it was too risky and could jeopardize relations with Pakistan, according to intelligence and military officials.

The target was a meeting of Qaeda leaders that intelligence officials thought included Ayman al-Zawahri, Osama bin Laden’s top deputy and the man believed to run the terrorist group’s operations.

But the mission was called off after Donald H. Rumsfeld, then the defense secretary, rejected an 11th-hour appeal by Porter J. Goss, then the director of the Central Intelligence Agency, officials said. Members of a Navy Seals unit in parachute gear had already boarded C-130 cargo planes in Afghanistan when the mission was canceled, said a former senior intelligence official involved in the planning.

Rumsfeld, who criticized Obama saying the Osama call he made was easy, called off a similar raid in 2005.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/washington/08intel.html?_r=2&pagewanted=print
drip drip drip

Can't really fault people for not authorizing extremely dangerous, risky operations in foreign countries. These things often don't work out as planned. Hell, the Bin Laden raid could have easily failed due to the helicopter crashing.

I also find the role reversal here interesting. If Bin Laden had died under Bush's watch I can just see liberal blogs and commentators arguing it would mean little considering he was more of a figurehead than active leader, pointing out the victory could have come earlier if we didn't attack Iraq, etc. And of course as Jon Stewart pointed out, republicans would be pimping the news 24/7

drip drip drip

Can't really fault people for not authorizing extremely dangerous, risky operations in foreign countries. These things often don't work out as planned. Hell, the Bin Laden raid could have easily failed due to the helicopter crashing.

I also find the role reversal here interesting. If Bin Laden had died under Bush's watch I can just see liberal blogs and commentators arguing it would mean little considering he was more of a figurehead than active leader, pointing out the victory could have come earlier if we didn't attack Iraq, etc. And of course as Jon Stewart pointed out, republicans would be pimping the news 24/7

Of course there is some hypocrisy from both sides on this.

What I do know is that, Liberals wouldn't have been attacking Bush as being weak on foreign policy though. They would have pointed out how his actions (and they tried unsuccessfully in 2004) have not been good for America.

Clevinger

drip drip drip

That's not what he's criticizing Rumsfeld for. It's for saying Obama's call was easy when he not only knows it wasn't, but has personal experience exemplifying how it wasn't.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm definitely going to seek the opinion of someone who so masterfully crafted our plan for Iraq.

Wait a second, are you saying there was a plan?!?

If there was one, It probably read:

Step 1: Send Cruise Missiles
Step 2: Occupy with Troops
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Waste Billions of Dollars

UE claims down, but probably too late to show any impact on April, right?

Ghaleon, what was that waiver about you re-tweeted from Wyden? Medicaid a public option in Oregon? Can't find anything about it.

Not really. Nice try, though.

What stops 99/100 people is lack of initiative and drive. I'll be nice an grant you to other 1%.

My father in law has owned a small business for thirty years, and he would tell you in two seconds that he would be fucked if his wife wasn't employed in the public sector

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Politico's ball dropping on this Obama gf story is like a testament to sloppy blog journalism going mainstream. Exclusive news is given priority over factual reporting

What Politico story? Didn't hear about this.

Edit: Okay just read about this. Pathetic!

LosDaddie

Banned
I was a less "CNN" with her than that, actually. Here's what I said above it all:

The bit about agreeing with me was more about my last paragraph where I said I thought Obamacare wasn't the correct solution, that a Medicare for all sort of thing was better, though she may have taken it a different way, I suppose. But I did try and really say that what I did was research and these are the facts I found..

That's good. Did she respond back?

And I'd count on another snarky email from your dad when Obamacare is striked down next month.

Tim-E

The fact that PA is ever considered a toss up shows the artificial narrative by any of these sites

Yep. Obama clearly has an EV advantage, but that means the news is more boring for the rest of the year, so they have to pretend that it's closer than what it likely will be.

gcubed

Gallup continues to be weird and has Obama's approval at 51%, but only leading Romney by a point. Eh, whatevs.

there is too much noise in their moving averages

Yep. Obama clearly has an EV advantage, but that means the news is more boring for the rest of the year, so they have to pretend that it's closer than what it likely will be.

even some of the toss ups left are embarrassing.

A group of new polls from Quinnipiac University shows President Obama leading in Pennsylvania and Ohio, while former Massachusetts Gov. and likely Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is up in Florida. Obama outpaces Romney 47 - 39 in Pennsylvania, 44 - 42 in Ohio while Romney has a 44 - 43 edge in Florida.

“Romney’s ability to cut into the president’s leads in Ohio and Florida reflects two changes in the political environment,” said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute in a release. ”First, since he is now the de facto nominee, Romney is no longer being attacked by his fellow Republicans, who are closing ranks behind him. Second, voter optimism about the economy has leveled off, reflecting economic statistics over the past month and the public reaction to them.”

President Obama’s approval rating follows the results closely – in Pennsylvania he has a positive 50 - 46 split, in Ohio he’s at 48 - 47, while in Florida he is underwater at 46 - 50. The TPM Poll Average shows a tight race in Ohio and Florida.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.c...ls-obama-leads-pennsylvania-ohio-while-romney

Not looking good. Barely up in Ohio, losing Florida

Cloudy

Banned
I love how the media and GOP (I get that its politics) refuse to believe the State Dept. version of events from multiple people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom