• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I dunno how to compare this, but just how much of a price savings would be involved, really, for making two similar pro-grade lenses whose only difference is DX and FX?

I mean, if you're buying pro stuff, you're already committed to the price premium anyway.

Acrylic7

What is your budget budget?
-$400-500. Can go a little higher but I really shouldn’t.

Main purpose of the camera?
-Video and photographs. Maybe a short film here and there.

What form factor is most appealing to you?
-I don’t even know what that means. Fresh out the womb here with camera related stuff. But I’ve don’t enough research to know I think I need something DSLR .

Will you be investing in the camera? (buying more stuff for it later)
-Yes

Any cameras you've used before or liked?
-I have a cheap ass cybershot from 6 years ago that is infinitely worse than my old ass phone (Galaxy s3). I’m an amateur.

I do like that Nikon is trying to get a pro level DX camera, unfortunately I wasn't around when the D300 came out so I have no opinions on that, but I feel like there's no point for it if it's gonna be $2k. Anybody who sees it will casually walk over to Canon and Sony, and see that for about the same price they can get the same quality for the same or even cheaper.

I'll have a use for it since I know how to shoot on a DX camera, and the sports and wildlife photographers will probably love it, but I feel like this isn't really gonna entice any of the D7x00 users to upgrade, and even those who have fully mastered the D3000/D5000 series are probably gonna take a long hard look at their options.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to make pro DX lenses. I'm not sure there are many pros who are going to shoot DX exclusively.

It's really isn't.

Even ignoring the fact that you didn't know the difference between FX and DX when you started, you're still able to do the same things as the FX guys if you know what you're doing.

Pro DX lenses would be cool, but I don't the market exists for the moment. Maybe once the D500 releases, but even then, if you choose to be a pro with the DX camera... you obviously know what you're doing and don't care at all about the fact that you're missing 1.5x of the image.

RuGalz

Pro DX lenses might be a niche market because everyone just pushes for FF camera as the upgrade path. But FF and Crop sensor cameras really need different focal length lenses... like a 24-70mm f2.8 lens isn't as useful for crop sensor; it needs 16-50mm f2.8. Some focal lengths are bit more interchangeable but mentally I almost treat crop and FF two different systems.

Pro DX lenses might be a niche market because everyone just pushes for FF camera as the upgrade path. But FF and Crop sensor cameras really need different focal length lenses... like a 24-70mm f2.8 lens isn't as useful for crop sensor; it needs 16-50mm f2.8. Some focal lengths are bit more interchangeable but mentally I almost treat crop and FF two different systems.
I was looking for a 24-70 DX lens too yesterday and whelp couldn't really find one. I think all of those are FX lenses. If I was to get one for indoor events I think the crop value would borderline defeat the purpose of it.

Lender

I might be buying a second hand X-T1 with the 18-55 F2.8-F4 as a more portable alternative to my 5dMKIII. I've had a xe1, and been happy with that. Anyone here who has had hands on experience with the camera? All the reviews i've read always been positive, but I always appreciate opinions from 'normal' people as well.

wachie

The way Nikon shat on mirrorless in its conference lends me to believe that they actually are aware that segment might become a problem down the line.
Just look at how many awards the A7RII won over full size DSLRs .. Nikon is salty because they don't have a viable SKU there, even Canon has the EOS.

VAD

Just bought the Olympus 9-18 on a flash sale at Amazon. Let's hope they don't announce a better version at CES.

I might be buying a second hand X-T1 with the 18-55 F2.8-F4 as a more portable alternative to my 5dMKIII. I've had a xe1, and been happy with that. Anyone here who has had hands on experience with the camera? All the reviews i've read always been positive, but I always appreciate opinions from 'normal' people as well.
Anything specific you want to know?

I sold an A7ii and switched the X-T1 (for a few reasons, mainly because of the cost of Sony lenses) and I'm incredibly happy. I'm a huge fan of the dials and lenses with aperture rings.

Koriandrr

I really prefer video lessons to books. The lynda.com ones are pretty good. Yes, you can learn by just doing it and going outside, but I'm a bit of nerd - I want to understand how everything works from the inside out and do see that as beneficial knowledge, as much as it doesn't or does contribute to your artistic eye.

I just got my second Yongnuo YN560 III. No regrets. About to experiment with light on a cosplay photoshoot next weekend. Hyped :D

EDIT: On a side note, I'm using the Olympus OM-D E-M10 and I've never been this happy with a camera. I used to use a Canon 7D previously and although on price range and 'pro' leve and whatnot the Canon would be scored above, I'd take the Olympus over the Canon any day. Looking to upgrade to E-M1 after the new one comes out. I'm sure the price will drop by then.

I went from the xe1 to the xt1 and it's better to me in every single way. It has better write speed if you do any burst shots or long exposure, better af, evf, etc. The addition of the iso dial is my favorite.

Lender

Anything specific you want to know?

I sold an A7ii and switched the X-T1 (for a few reasons, mainly because of the cost of Sony lenses) and I'm incredibly happy. I'm a huge fan of the dials and lenses with aperture rings.

The basic stuff: IQ, AF, build quality, dial quality, low light perfomance, speed, noise reduction,...

The availabilty of the dials are also one of the reasons I'm considering it. I love to have everything at my fingertips.

That's what the 17-55 is for.
No way in any hell I'm spending over $700 - $1,000 for that lens. Personally I'd get the Sigma 2.8 17-50 as a substitute. For the cost of the Nikon 17-55 I can get the already mentioned Sigma and the 1.4 30mm Art lens or I can get Sigma's 1.8 18-35 lens. I don't care how much better quality that lens is if a person is on an actual budget that Nikon lens might as well not even exist.

Flo_Evans

No way in any hell I'm spending over $700 - $1,000 for that lens. Personally I'd get the Sigma 2.8 17-50 as a substitute. For the cost of the Nikon 17-55 I can get the already mentioned Sigma and the 1.4 30mm Art lens or I can get Sigma's 1.8 18-35 lens. I don't care how much better quality that lens is if a person is on an actual budget that Nikon lens might as well not even exist.

Well that is the problem with nikon making expensive DX lenses. Everyone wants them but no one wants to actually pay for them :p

The basic stuff: IQ, AF, build quality, dial quality, low light perfomance, speed, noise reduction,...

The availabilty of the dials are also one of the reasons I'm considering it. I love to have everything at my fingertips.
ISO 6400 and under is what I'd classify as usable (and if you're shooting RAW it's literally the max you can use). I haven't shot with noise reduction turned on (because if I use it I just do it in Lightroom) so no comment there [edit: Long exp is off, normal is zero] Colors are nice, and the optional filters are even nicer if you're shooting jpeg or want to quickly process in LR.

Here's some super quick in-camera jpgs I just shot:
There's also 51200, which I forgot to shoot with.

AF works well when there's light. I've tested the 16-55 f2.8 and 35 f2 and they're speedy. It's worse than the A7 overall but it's not bad by any means. Sometimes there's hunting (mainly in low light situations), but most of the time it works on the first attempt.

I have the black version and it feels solid. The dials lock in place and don't feel too loose. The weather sealing is nice, and the camera is very light when paired with the right lenses The only thing I don't like is the dpad on the back. It feels too recessed for my taste, but some might like it.

It's quite fast. The only time I've actually had issues with the speed of operation is after a few seconds of 8FPS shooting, but that's mostly because I'm not using a super fast memory card.

Well that is the problem with nikon making expensive DX lenses. Everyone wants them but no one wants to actually pay for them :p
As far as I'm concerned that's an "I get paid for this shit and I can write if off on my taxes lens." Not a lens for the consumer enthusiast just trying to get their foot in the door.

Ty4on

It's gigantic, from 2003 and lacks VR. Checking Keh you can get decent samples for 600$ used so I don't think demand is huge.
New price is 1500. Maybe I haven't looked around enough, but I've never seen depreciation like that on a lens still in production which isn't bundled in kits. Even the 24-105 L holds its value quite better on the used market.

Lender

ISO 6400 and under is what I'd classify as usable. I haven't shot with noise reduction turned on (because if I use it I just do it in Lightroom) so no comment there. Colors are nice, and the optional filters are even nicer if you're shooting jpeg or want to quickly process in LR.

Here's some super quick in-camera jpgs I just shot:

There's also 51200, which I forgot to shoot with.

AF works well when there's light. I've tested the 16-55 f2.8 and 35 f2 and they're speedy. It's worse than the A7 overall but it's not bad by any means. Sometimes there's hunting (mainly in low light situations), but most of the time it works on the first attempt.

I have the black version and it feels solid. The dials lock in place and don't feel too loose. The weather sealing is nice, and the camera is very light when paired with the right lenses The only thing I don't like is the dpad on the back. It feels too recessed for my taste, but some might like it.

It's quite fast. The only time I've actually had issues with the speed of operation is after a few seconds of 8FPS shooting, but that's mostly because I'm not using a super fast memory card.
Thanks for the post!

One thing though, I thought I read somewhere that the X-T1 always had some form of noise reduction? Is this true? Or was this another model?

Thanks for the post!

One thing though, I thought I read somewhere that the X-T1 always had some form of noise reduction? Is this true? Or was this another model?
Actually yeah you're right.

I just checked and I have long exposure NR turned off but standard NR doesn't actually have an off setting. Just 2,1,0,-1, and -2. I'm using 0. Gonna play around with that now to see if it affects RAW in a noticeable way if at all.

Flo_Evans

It's gigantic, from 2003 and lacks VR. Checking Keh you can get decent samples for 600$ used so I don't think demand is huge.
New price is 1500. Maybe I haven't looked around enough, but I've never seen depreciation like that on a lens still in production which isn't bundled in kits. Even the 24-105 L holds its value quite better on the used market.

I'm sure they will make an updated version... that is even more expensive!

RuGalz

AF works well when there's light.

Do you know off-hand how sensitive is the PDAF? I'm consider upgrading to X-T10 for PDAF (coming from X-M1) after the prices drop some more. Even A7RII hunts more than my DSLR, since 2 of the points on my K-3 are rated for as low as -3 EV sensitivity.

Do you know off-hand how sensitive is the PDAF? I'm consider upgrading to X-T10 for PDAF (coming from X-M1) after the prices drop some more. Even A7RII hunts more than my DSLR, since 2 of the points on my K-3 are rated for as low as -3 EV sensitivity.
If I recall correcrly a recent firmware update brought it to .5 EV.

Lender

This may be a stupid question, but it's one I would like to have seen answered.
So as you've all read, I'm planning on getting a X-T1 as a more portable backup alternative to my 5dMKIII, but I've been wondering about my strobe. Imagine that I do want to try out my Fuji on the Indra500 TTL, is there any way I can do this? I've been searching on the internet for an answer, but I didn't get a definitive answer. So is there any way I could use the X-T1 in combination with my Indra 500 strobe?

This may be a stupid question, but it's one I would like to have seen answered.
So as you've all read, I'm planning on getting a X-T1 as a more portable backup alternative to my 5dMKIII, but I've been wondering about my strobe. Imagine that I do want to try out my Fuji on the Indra500 TTL, is there any way I can do this? I've been searching on the internet for an answer, but I didn't get a definitive answer. So is there any way I could use the X-T1 in combination with my Indra 500 strobe?

Generic remote triggers should work, or sync cable if you were fine with a wired option. Just won't have any of the control options you get with the Phottix TTL triggers

thenexus6

I am interested in a Sony RX100, maybe because of the money the first or Mark II. For misc photos / video and if I go travelling. Anything I should be aware of?

I'm sure they will make an updated version... that is even more expensive!

The 17-55mm VR is in desperate need of an update. It's just not up to snuff for the current high resolution DX cameras out now.

The new 16-80mm VR is a better option at only 2/3 the price. Has better sharpness than the 17-55mm and a respectable F/2.8-4 aperture.

I'm not sure what Sigma/Tamron have in that range now that's worth considering...

Edit: The Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 is an excellent lens if you can live with it's bulk and limited range.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Bothers me that the Loxia line commands such a high price over the FE lenses. The FE28 is so affordable but I don't want to deal with that manual focus implementation

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
a few of you have PM'ed me about the Ep2, so heres the photos, like i said its pretty beat up. But it still works fine.

The 75mm and 20mm are in much better shape and i am flexible on the price for both.

Bothers me that the Loxia line commands such a high price over the FE lenses. The FE28 is so affordable but I don't want to deal with that manual focus implementation

Why not look into Samyang lenses?
I mean sure it's not going to be as good as the Loxia but they are hella cheap and hella impressive for their cost. Though I will be fair they do not have a 28mm lens. 24mm seems to be the closest.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Thanks for the advice, everyone, picked it up today. Next up is to start figuring out how to work the damn thing, haha.

I tried a "Learning Photography" thread a while back - it didn't really take off, but a bunch of people made really useful posts to help beginners out - might be worth a look.

Don't try to learn from the camera manual - it's too hard!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Why not look into Samyang lenses?
I mean sure it's not going to be as good as the Loxia but they are hella cheap and hella impressive for their cost. Though I will be fair they do not have a 28mm lens. 24mm seems to be the closest.

Mainly looking for a 28mm. I'm even willing to adapt the monster 28 Distagon ZF. But I'll probably pull the trigger on a Nikkor 28/2 AI for now.

Koriandrr

now that I have my flashes I desperately need tripods for them... any cheap suggestions from amazon? I honestly can't invest too much into them after my holiday splurge, I just need them to do the job and I'll get them one of those brackets for 3 flashes and brolly.

aerts1js

Mainly looking for a 28mm. I'm even willing to adapt the monster 28 Distagon ZF. But I'll probably pull the trigger on a Nikkor 28/2 AI for now.

The Loxia's are really fantastic. Yes, they are pricey but if you figure in that they could potentially last you decades I'd say they are worth it.

21109492434_7643207444_z.jpg

aerts1js

I am interested in a Sony RX100, maybe because of the money the first or Mark II. For misc photos / video and if I go travelling. Anything I should be aware of?

I recommend the Sony RX100 Mark 1 if you can get it for below $400. It typically sells for around $500 but I saw a deal the other day that it was on sale for $315. It’s a steal at that price point.

My personal pro’s and cons after heavy use of the RX100 MK 1.

Pros:
+Small. Surprisingly so. You wouldn’t expect the camera to take as good of photos as it does just by looking at it. Fits in the palm of my hand.
+Amazing battery life… no idea how it lasts so long.
+Image quality almost on par with DSLR. You can get better shots out of it than most people that have a DSLR if you know what you’re doing.
+Ability to shoot in multiple formats (JPG, RAW)
+Large sensor size for a point and shoot which = good night shots.
+Great lens.
+Durable. We went hiking with it in Nepal and used it exclusively on the day we reached the peak. There were literally icicles hanging from the camera and it still somehow survived.
+ Has all of the menu options and configurations of a pro camera.

Cons:
+ No Touch Screen. Just throwing out there because so many people are used to taking shots with a smart phone these days.
+Irritating autofocus at times, especially when shooting macro I’d just turn the autofocus off and do it myself in these situations.
+Start up speed slow, I mean, it’s not insanely slow but takes a second or two.
+No viewfinder like a DSLR (or mirrorless) which means sometimes it’s hard to see what you’re shooting at in the middle of a bright day. Get a screen protector.
+There were times I wish I could have swapped lenses.
+ Low light is great for a point and shoot but you still can’t push it as far as you could with say, a APS-C or Full Frame DSLR/Mirrorless. Then again, those are often double the price and a hell of a lot bulkier.
+ Shutter sound lacks gratification. Hard to explain. When you take a photo it doesn’t sound like it’s as powerful as it actually is. It’s just a quiet camera so I guess this could be a positive but I didn't particularly like it.

aerts1js

Looks like A6100 may be coming sooner than I expected? (March)

Wondering if I should stick with the A6000 or wait out a few months for the A6100. It's going to have a 36MP BSI sensor.

This is just a rumour, and the site you got that from is incorrect on a pretty consistent basis. It was predicting the A6100 would come out last summer. That being said, it's due for a replacement soon but I don't think Sony is an any hurry because it's still one of the best APS-C mirrorless cameras around.

Two more weeks and I can afford a new lens.

It wont be this one (300mm F4), this may actually be too big for my E-M5 II. Olympus says it's their sharpest lens yet, which means something if true. And it's reasonably priced at $2.5k. Looks like a great lens.

Olumpus-M-Zuiko-300mm-f4-PRO-lens.jpg

lt519

Diving in head first here, going to take a look at some books and links in the tutorial thread phisheep. So thanks for that!

Grabbed the refurbished a6000 18-55mm and 55-210mm bundle on Amazon for $620 with case, charger, SD card, etc included (although everyone says they have been receiving the 16-50mm). Fits the bill for compact enough to travel easily with and bring with me on hikes. Hopefully turns into a hobby I enjoy once I take the time to learn the all the basics. If not I at least gave it a chance!

I can still cancel if you think there are better options to start with, but seemed like a good deal on an entry level kit.

Diving in head first here, going to take a look at some books and links in the tutorial thread phisheep. So thanks for that!

Grabbed the refurbished a6000 18-55mm and 55-210mm bundle on Amazon for $620 with case, charger, SD card, etc included (although everyone says they have been receiving the 16-50mm). Fits the bill for compact enough to travel easily with and bring with me on hikes. Hopefully turns into a hobby I enjoy once I take the time to learn the all the basics. If not I at least gave it a chance!

I can still cancel if you think there are better options to start with, but seemed like a good deal on an entry level kit.

I've been looking to do the same, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. You may want to see if you can get a bundle on eBay for a better price for new.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Two more weeks and I can afford a new lens.

It wont be this one (300mm F4), this may actually be too big for my E-M5 II. Olympus says it's their sharpest lens yet, which means something if true. And it's reasonably priced at $2.5k. Looks like a great lens.

Olumpus-M-Zuiko-300mm-f4-PRO-lens.jpg

this is part of why i'm getting rid of my oly gear. 2.5k for a 300f4 is way too high.

Van

D50! Loved that camera. Was my first DSLR. It's a great first camera because it can autofocus with older lenses that don't have a built in autofocus motor. Just don't spend too much money on one and make sure you get a good battery for it. Stick a 35mm F/2 or a 18-55mm VR lens and you're good to go. PM me questions about the D50 and I can probs help you out.
Thanks man:D

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Just look at how many awards the A7RII won over full size DSLRs .. Nikon is salty because they don't have a viable SKU there, even Canon has the EOS.

Yes. Imo, it shines somewhat of a bad light at Nikon if they have to compare their flagship 5K$ pro body with enthusiast mirrorless cameras. This tells me, as a mirrorless convert, that i made the right choice :D

lt519

I've been looking to do the same, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. You may want to see if you can get a bundle on eBay for a better price for new.

Hmm, looking at the ebay deals seems you can get an a6000 with the 16-50mm for $520. So $100 more for the 55-210 and the extra goodies seems worth it to me. Certified warranty is only 90 days vs 3 years new. I usually don't fuss about that stuff though if things are defective it is usually out of box. I buy refurbed all the time I find they break less than new stuff because the defects were already fixed (;