• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha_eX

Those complaining about the bottom bezel, hold your phone and try touching just a bit above the bottom of the device. Not comfy.

bachikarn

Just shattered the screen of my Nexus6 lol. So I'm looking for a new phone.

Reading online, it seems like the only difference between the base Pixel and XL is screen size and battery size? Effectively, which one has the longer battery life? I imagine the bigger screen takes more energy so I wasn't sure if the larger battery was enough to make it a wash.

Just shattered the screen of my Nexus6 lol. So I'm looking for a new phone.

Reading online, it seems like the only difference between the base Pixel and XL is screen size and battery size? Effectively, which one has the longer battery life? I imagine the bigger screen takes more energy so I wasn't sure if the larger battery was enough to make it a wash.

Seems that the XL has a bit better battery life. I have the base Pixel myself though, and battery life is excellent. Gets through a full day of heavy use just fine.

This has only happened to me with the pixel, whenever I try to click on a picture in GAF I get a '403 Forbidden' message. Anyone else with the pixel get this ?

Scottify

Hey all, just got my Pixel, switched from an iPhone. Question about messaging. Is it not possible to use the default Messenger app to send gifs to iPhone users? I've tried sending some but they say it's not received. Do I just need to use WhatsApp or some other alternative?

Other than that tiny little thing I am loving this new phone.

U2NUMB

My wife ordered hers from Verizon months ago and it was supposed to be here in early Jan. She received and email earlier this week saying March now.. which has upset her very much.

They really missed the boat on projecting the ship date..

Edit: 128gb version

thespot84

Hey all, just got my Pixel, switched from an iPhone. Question about messaging. Is it not possible to use the default Messenger app to send gifs to iPhone users? I've tried sending some but they say it's not received. Do I just need to use WhatsApp or some other alternative?

the default app should be sending MMS, which is platform agnostic, no idea why that wouldn't work.

I'm not sure how imessage works, but maybe the recipient's phone still thinks you're using an iphone and thus imessage? this seems somewhat related: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6156081?hl=en

Above post Nails it, you need to dissociate your phone number from Imessage on your iPhone, otherwise your friends iPhones will be looking for messages from your number coming through Apple's servers instead of carrier SMS/MMS.

I got my Pixel today. I broke my old phone over the holidays and bought a cheap replacement to get me through the holidays, but that phone didn't cut it. It was a Samsung from Verizon and between Touchwiz and Verizon bloat it was driving me nuts.

My initial impression is that the phone is awesome. Set up was a breeze since I am already a Android user; a few minutes setting up security, wifi and account info and the phone automatically installed all my apps. I had to wait about 15-20 minutes while it downloaded updates and stuff but after that it was ready to go. Contrast that to my interim replacement where I spent about 2 hours manually reinstalling everything and deactivating all the bloatware.

The phone is really fast and responsive. The camera is impressive as well, it feels a little slow to launch but once it's running it's great. It's the first Android phone I've used that feels like it matches the iPhone in responsiveness. The fingerprint sensor is awesome too, and really the biggest plus for me so far.

My only complaint so far is that the phone actually feels too thin. Walking around I feel like it's going to fly out of my hand. Thankfully I have a case coming in the mail tomorrow. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the purchase.

Sigma722

My wife ordered hers from Verizon months ago and it was supposed to be here in early Jan. She received and email earlier this week saying March now.. which has upset her very much.

They really missed the boat on projecting the ship date..

Edit: 128gb version

Do you know what day specifically she ordered it on? Also, what color?

I ordered my 128GB Black one on December 14th, and the order is still processing, and says expected ship date to be tomorrow still. AFAIK, I didn't receive a delay email.

jyoung188

Fuck. I put in an order for a black XL 128 back on November 18th through a local Verizon store and they said it would be in early to mid January. I didn't hear anything for two months so I went in yesterday to check on my order and they said that the order was canceled for some unknown reason at some unknown time. I had no warning or email and according to the guy I ordered it from he never got any word either. Now they're saying they aren't getting them in until March. He said that several people at that store had had that happen to them too.

I put another order in since I'm so sick of my S6 edge and its shitty battery. This is ridiculous how much google under estimated the demand for a decent size storage capacity phone, 32 GB just ins't enough for me. If they would've put out a 64 GB version I would totally be OK with that though.

matmanx1

I found an open box buy on an unused Pixel 32GB in Quite Black for $569 so I bought it. It will be my first Android phone but one of my office mates has the 128GB version and loves his so I feel pretty good about the purchase.

I've got an iPod for music and Google gives unlimited storage space to Pixel owners for photos and videos in the cloud so 32GB seemed plenty to me on this phone.

Also ordered a Project Fi sim card. My fingers are crossed on it that it will work well enough for me in my area.

I found an open box buy on an unused Pixel 32GB in Quite Black for $569 so I bought it. It will be my first Android phone but one of my office mates has the 128GB version and loves his so I feel pretty good about the purchase.

I've got an iPod for music and Google gives unlimited storage space to Pixel owners for photos and videos in the cloud so 32GB seemed plenty to me on this phone.

Also ordered a Project Fi sim card. My fingers are crossed on it that it will work well enough for me in my area.

Install Signal Spy when you set up your phone. Allows you to see which carrier you are on and also signal strength and allows manual switching. It's from one of the Fi developers. Shows Wi-Fi details too.

https://signalspy.com/gettingStarted.html

Got a new 32gb quite black Pixel XL today for £300 it's locked to EE, (im currently on giffgaff so gotta get number switched over) gonna sell my nexus 5X for £122 at cex, so £178 for the phone, not too bad at all :)
Had a quick mess about with it, it is absolutely gorgeous , the bezel is a non issue for me, infact i didn't notice it .

Mr. RPG

My Pixel is dropping calls all the time. Does anyone else here have this issue?

I've had this phone for a few months now and I've been hoping there would be a software update that would fix these issues, but I've grown tired of waiting. :(

My Pixel is dropping calls all the time. Does anyone else here have this issue?

I've had this phone for a few months now and I've been hoping there would be a software update that would fix these issues, but I've grown tired of waiting. :(

What carrier do you have?

SliChillax

Those complaining about the bottom bezel, hold your phone and try touching just a bit above the bottom of the device. Not comfy.

It's not about the bezel, it's about how useless and ugly it is. There could have been buttons there or a speaker instead like in the Nexus 6P.

Internets

The February update is really bad. Bluetooth turns off on it's own randomly, and there's a significant battery drain and I haven't even been using my phone as much. There's a thread on the Google Pixel subreddit with a bunch of people with the same issues.

Is there no way to rollback?

Arttemis

I didn't realize there were phone OTs. I got the Pixel XL and love it! I also own a S7, S7 Edge, and had a Note 7 until the recall (which is how I got the PXL).

I miss the curved screen of the Samsung phones, particularly for the shortcut access they brought. The fingerprint reader on the Pixel is the best of them all, though. S7E was trash and the N7 was fantastic, but the PXL is just as good or better and in a more convenient spot. Google assistant on Pixel works better than the Now Launcher on Samsung phones, and the battery on Google's phone definitely seems better.

The only thing I truly miss is the curved screen. The super slim cases were much lower profile because of it. I hate the gigantic edge on the side of the screen with every Pixel XL case because it makes touching the edge frustrating. I'm tempted to take an sharp blade to cut down the side walls a few millimeters along the visible screen sections.

Edit - I do also miss the SD slot. I wish the Pixel had that. And full fledged water protection. And Samsung Pay. That was so bad ass.

garath

I didn't realize there were phone OTs. I got the Pixel XL and love it! I also own a S7, S7 Edge, and had a Note 7 until the recall (which is how I got the PXL).

I miss the curved screen of the Samsung phones, particularly for the shortcut access they brought. The fingerprint reader on the Pixel is the best of them all, though. S7E was trash and the N7 was fantastic, but the PXL is just as good or better and in a more convenient spot. Google assistant on Pixel works better than the Now Launcher on Samsung phones, and the battery on Google's phone definitely seems better.

The only thing I truly miss is the curved screen. The super slim cases were much lower profile because of it. I hate the gigantic edge on the side of the screen with every Pixel XL case because it makes touching the edge frustrating. I'm tempted to take an sharp blade to cut down the side walls a few millimeters along the visible screen sections.

Edit - I do also miss the SD slot. I wish the Pixel had that. And full fledged water protection. And Samsung Pay. That was so bad ass.

I haven't used Samsung pay but have you tried Android pay? It seems to be accepted almost everywhere Samsung pay is. I use it all the time and love it. Even the vending machine at work accepts Android pay (bad!)

I haven't used Samsung pay but have you tried Android pay? It seems to be accepted almost everywhere Samsung pay is. I use it all the time and love it. Even the vending machine at work accepts Android pay (bad!)

that's not physically possible.

while Samsung Pay and Android Pay both use NFC, Samsung Pay also supports MST so it can be used at over 99% physical card swipe terminals/

JCX

I have a 5x currently and am thinking if I get a decent enough tax refund that I'll use a portion to get a Pixel. Though I am having a hard time justifying it as the 5x is working perfectly fine for me right now and isn't having any issues. My second option is to wait til this coming December when I'll be getting a return on a certain investment and I could get the next google phone if it's out by then. Just can't make up my mind.

My 5X died on me out the blue last week and it turned out to be a somewhat known issue with the phone. I'd swap out just in case. My 5X is stuck in a boot loop.

Arttemis

Does anyone know of a convenient, minimalistic app that toggles off the system buttons (back/home/recent)? I use Screen Filter at night to drastically reduce the brightness of the screen while in bed, but the soft keys still glare like spotlights.

I've never bothered with Android Pay. Samsung Pay works at any credit card swiping terminal and mimics the same magnetic transmission as sliding a card through; it's essentially ubiquitous. Samsung also ran a bunch of promotions where buying anything lead to complimentary gift cards.

garath

that's not physically possible.

while Samsung Pay and Android Pay both use NFC, Samsung Pay also supports MST so it can be used at over 99% physical card swipe terminals/

Does anyone know of a convenient, minimalistic app that toggles off the system buttons (back/home/recent)? I use Screen Filter at night to drastically reduce the brightness of the screen while in bed, but the soft keys still glare like spotlights.

I've never bothered with Android Pay. Samsung Pay works at any credit card swiping terminal and mimics the same magnetic transmission as sliding a card through; it's essentially ubiquitous. Samsung also ran a bunch of promotions where buying anything lead to complimentary gift cards.

You learn something new every day. Now I want Samsung pay. That sounds awesome..

thespot84

You learn something new every day. Now I want Samsung pay. That sounds awesome..

Samsung pay acquired loop pay some time ago and integrated it to allow for the magnetic stripe function. It somehow tricks the strip reader using RF, it's fucking magic as far as i'm concerned.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
The February update is really bad. Bluetooth turns off on it's own randomly, and there's a significant battery drain and I haven't even been using my phone as much. There's a thread on the Google Pixel subreddit with a bunch of people with the same issues.

Is there no way to rollback?

So I should not download? Just got a notification

Internets

So I should not download? Just got a notification
I personally wouldn't recommend it based on my experience. Some people don't have the same battery issues I do. So maybe there's a little bad luck involved.

However, Bluetooth randomly shutting off by itself seems to be a more widespread problem as seen on the subreddit and forums. There may be a workaround, but I haven't checked yet, since I dont use Bluetooth all that often.

On the other hand, it's up to you if security updates are worth the risk or if you don't care about Bluetooth. Maybe you won't have the same issues. I personally would wait another month if possible. You can check the subreddit or forums if you wanna look some of it up

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I personally wouldn't recommend it based on my experience. Some people don't have the same battery issues I do. So maybe there's a little bad luck involved.

However, Bluetooth randomly shutting off by itself seems to be a more widespread problem as seen on the subreddit and forums. There may be a workaround, but I haven't checked yet, since I dont use Bluetooth all that often.

On the other hand, it's up to you if security updates are worth the risk or if you don't care about Bluetooth. Maybe you won't have the same issues. I personally would wait another month if possible. You can check the subreddit or forums if you wanna look some of it up

Yeah I have Bluetooth headset that I use everyday. I think I will just give it a pass. Hopefully they hqve a fix soon. Thanks.

My 5X died on me out the blue last week and it turned out to be a somewhat known issue with the phone. I'd swap out just in case. My 5X is stuck in a boot loop.

I've heard about the constant bootloops with the 5X but mine hasn't had anything happened to it since I got it. Is it just a problem on certain phones?

Husker86

That's so weird, I had the Bluetooth issue somewhat recently and it seems the February update fixed it. Maybe it's just coincidence and it will pop up again.

I really can't wait for the next generation of this phone. Seems like a really promising starting point. I love the phone and will likely upgrade in two years.

If it has smaller bezels and waterproofing, the pixel 2 will be perfect.

I can already tell that the next version of Google Pixel phone will be even better.

That's not physically possible.

While Samsung Pay and Android Pay both use NFC, Samsung Pay also supports MST so it can be used at over 99% physical card swipe terminals/

If what Garath said is true, then that would mean that more & more MST terminals are going away in favor of NFC's &/or EMV's. It would render Samsung Pay useless.

Blackhead

Redarse
I can already tell that the next version of Google Pixel phone will be even better.

If what Garath said is true, then that would mean that more & more MST terminals are going away in favor of NFC's &/or EMV's. It would render Samsung Pay useless.

No, Samsung Pay works with all methods (MST and NFC) so it'll be useful even after the transition, whenever that may be.

No, Samsung Pay works with all methods (MST and NFC) so it'll be useful even after the transition, whenever that may be.

But the purpose of Samsung Pay is MST, where it'll work almost anywhere that has MST terminals.

If MST in the U.S. goes away (& it eventually will), then that advantage is gone & it becomes a Android Pay/Apple Pay clone in which they already have NFC.

But the purpose of Samsung Pay is MST, where it'll work almost anywhere that has MST terminals.

If MST in the U.S. goes away (& it eventually will), then that advantage is gone & it becomes a Android Pay/Apple Pay clone in which they already have NFC.

yes.

in a few .... years? decades? 3+ phones from now or so... Samsung Pay may actually be on an even playing field... maybe...

the deadline was 16 months ago and many retailers still haven't even upgraded their machines to chip readers and of those that did, many have NFC disabled and the vast majority of said machines still have the MST fallback as 16 months after the deadline, many many banks still haven't issued new chip enabled cards.

so yes,

someday, somehow, some way, at some undetermined time in the future, there will be a day when it's actually an even playing field.

it won't be soon.

and until then, there's Samsung Pay.

Mr. Hyde

My google pixel that I ordered Friday is already scheduled for Thursday delivery. Wooo!

What's a recommended screen protector and minimal but protective case? I usually never put screen protectors on my phones but I've noticed a bad scratch on the center of my Nextbit Robin which makes me nervous.

killroy87

So, my phone has been randomly bleeding battery today, no clue why. I've had it plugged into my computer, so it's technically been charging over USB, and there has been nothing running on it, but it's gone down to 65% over the course of the workday.

I can think of literally zero reason why this would be. Any ideas?

Edit: It might be because it randomly starting installing a system update. I was wondering why the thing was getting hot.

I appreciate that everything happens in the background, but I wish it notified me when it was installing app and system updates.

Edit 2: Hmm, update finished and we're still bleeding. Down to 53%. Getting pretty annoyed here, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom