• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass, and how a bad home menu icon drags down my enjoyment of a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP's worst nightmare.

6XQzqEd.png

You're a monster.

Experien

I'm lucky not to be bogged down by this, I am bogged down by Snake Pass in general though.

It is a bad icon though, especially when laid with others.

Neiteio

i said it before and i'll keep saying it:
Do not try to 100% each level at the first go. It is (with exceptions) the wrong approach and you'll be enjoying the experience a lot less.

I did the same thing, got super frustrated (about the camera, the obnoxious 'manual saving' you had to do before every risky situation, etc.) and stopped after around lvl 5 or 6.

when i picked it back up i forced myself to complete the game and then collect all pick-ups in a second playthrough, and had a much better time.
I enjoyed it well enough going for 100% on the first try, but I think I'll follow your advice going forward, because I now know that the stuff you've already collected stays collected — as in they won't show up in the level when you replay it, which makes it easier to find the stuff you missed.

Fliesen

There's a Sumo Digital dev here in GAF, donkey show is his name, let's hope he sees this thread and forward our concerns regarding the icon to the guys at Sumo Digital. They'll release an update to fix the HD rumble, maybe they can revert back to the old icon as well.
Or they might just ...
IurAU69.gif

I enjoyed it well enough going for 100% on the first try, but I think I'll follow your advice going forward, because I now know that the stuff you've already collected stays collected — as in they won't show up in the level when you replay it, which makes it easier to find the stuff you missed.

Also you (game completion spoiler)
get the ability to reveal collectibles - by clicking R3 - after playing through the game

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
If they're on the same console or in the same series they damn well should match. PAL PS2 games are the GOAT in terms of spine uniformity and even that had a few games that chose to do all caps for some reason.

I think my comic collection would give some people an aneurysm. I have some series partially in soft-cover, partially in hard-cover, and partially in individual issues.

Neiteio

I mean, that's certainly "something" to stop playing a game for, but I do agree that it looks worse and out of place among all the other icons. Most look like game covers, this one looks like an avatar.
I'm still playing the game, but it makes my overall Switch experience worse by annoying me every time I see the new icon on the home menu, whether I'm playing Snake Pass or playing other games. Every time I took a screenshot in Zelda last night and went into the gallery to check it, I felt irritated seeing the new Snake Pass icon.

mebizzle

You must have it pretty easy if something like this bothers you enough to stop enjoying a game over it. I agree it looks ugly but it literally has nothing to do with playing the game.

ultrazilla

Actually, the OP has a very strong argument here. There's a ton of "push back" on Twitter towards Sumo over this "home icon" change and they're digging in saying it basically won't be changed from here on out.

Which leads me to this(if not mentioned already) can we as Nintendo fans(heck even Sony and MS fans) ask for a feature where the game developers/publishers pack the game with custom home screen icons that the end user/customer can pick themselves?

I feel the same way with my Switch home screen. It had a nice flow to it but now the Snake Pass icon is just glaringly out of place imo.

daxy

The original wasn't exactly hot either, but the border on the new one is killing me. It looks terrible next to all the others. I'll be uninstalling it as soon as I get my fill with the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There's a Sumo Digital dev here in GAF, donkey show is his name, let's hope he sees this thread and forward our concerns regarding the icon to the guys at Sumo Digital. They'll release an update to fix the HD rumble, maybe they can revert back to the old icon as well.

We appreciate your feedback, but we're afraid the icon will most likely be staying the same for the foreseeable future!

:(

orborborb

deleted the game because of the icon

I do this alot on iOS as well, a bad icon change is usually a sign they are making the app worse in various ways as well

LMAO that's worse than I could've possibly imagined.

Having said that... it makes sense for Switch icons to not contain the games title, seeing as the title displays above the icon and is currently completely unnecessary.

Oh and TURN PARENTAL CONTROLS OFF PEOPLE! How can you do that to your poor home menu's :'(

Fliesen

LMAO that's worse than I could've possibly imagined.

Having said that... it makes sense for Switch icons to not contain the games title, seeing as the title displays above the icon and is currently completely unnecessary.

Oh and TURN PARENTAL CONTROLS OFF PEOPLE! How can you do that to your poor home menu's :'(

previously it was the only way to track playtime for games.

Also, the title only shows then the software is selected.
both on the home screen, as well as the 'all software' view
DD-Eb4sVoAIXSAM.jpg

so i'd still consider it good form if you include the title in the artwork.

Spinluck

previously it was the only way to track playtime for games.

Also, the title only shows then the software is selected.
both on the home screen, as well as the 'all software' view
DD-Eb4sVoAIXSAM.jpg

so i'd still consider it good form if you include the title in the artwork.

lmao it does look really bad next to everything

still a pretty fun game though, which is all i care about.

Fliesen

FYI: They just updated it again

tnIlYg3.png

amazing. #nosteponsnek

People are seriously getting mad at this? Seriously?

Do you see anyone who's "mad at this"?

Whenever you have to ask "are people seriously getting outraged/mad", 95% of the time, the answer is "no" and the situation can be described as "people would be happier if XYZ was different".

MrKeinov

I'm almost 100% sure it'd show the icon that's on the cart. Which would be the US icon.

Actually both icons are on the cart. When you change your region in the settings it changes accordingly.

Source: I have a EU console and EU game, when I change my console region to Japan/US I get the US icon.

And I thought I would be one of few to actually be bothered by it. It doesn't mesh well with any of the other icons on my Switch. It looks... ugly.

Chorazin

This is a good example. Each of those other games make you feel like there's an entire world waiting beyond the icon. Every other icon feels like an adventure with the title of the game beckoning to you. But then there's Snake Pass — a cheap image just thrown onto the screen in the most jarring way possible.

I have never once, in my entire life, thought as deeply about the icon of a video game as you have. But I guess someone has to, right?

Joqu

Yeah, I bought Snake Pass on sale and I'm honestly disappointed I'm stuck with such an ugly icon on my Switch home menu now. So I feel you.

Fliesen

I have never once, in my entire life, thought as deeply about the icon of a video game as you have. But I guess someone has to, right?

Would you say the same about vinyl records album covers?

Given that many games (including snake pass?) are never released as a physical box and many of our 'collections' are nothing but an array of square icons, i do find a game's icon not all that unimportant. Especially on the Switch, a console with a very minimal UI.

This is a good example. Each of those other games make you feel like there's an entire world waiting beyond the icon. Every other icon feels like an adventure with the title of the game beckoning to you. But then there's Snake Pass — a cheap image just thrown onto the screen in the most jarring way possible.

I have to agree with the other poster just above me that quoted this. I agree that the icon is ugly and it's off putting, but the bolded is just silly. It's just an icon, it doesn't beckon anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom