• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars (Panopticon) - Vita, 2014, "Recovery" Multiplayer Action

The "criminals" in this world are those who have committed the crime of simply being alive. Sounds like population control to me. These criminals are then forced into manual labor to reduce their own sentences - they're turned into "volunteers" for the battlefield, where they have to help to capture citizens who are presumably trying to escape. By doing so they hope to gain their own freedom.

Looking through the site, it sounds like the game designed entirely to be a semi-massive multiplayer action game. Everyone plays as a criminal, and there is a support partner who does surveillance for you. Then you form into teams to complete objectives which aims to decrease your sentence, but some of these might involve fighting other teams who are working against you.
Wow this sounds awesome, bring it on! Be cool if you create your criminal and support partner.

duckroll

There's an official press release now:

人気ジャンルのマルチプレイアクションである本作は、PS Vita の持つ様々な機能を活かしながら、新しい遊び方を提案する完全新作です。プレイヤーは、近未来の荒廃した世界を舞台に、懲役100万年を科された咎人(トガビト)となり、自由を求めて戦います。巨大な敵である略奪者(アブダクター)に捕らわれた市民(シビリアン)や仲間を奪還するミッションに参加し、目的を達成することで、課せられた刑を減刑していきます。オンライン機能は、最大8人までの協力・対戦プレイに対応しており、アドホック通信のほか、Wi-Fi経由での全国の仲間との共闘アクションをお楽しみいただけます。また、PS VitaのGPS機能やnear(ニア)を利用した遊びも用意しています。

【作品概要】
牢獄都市パノプティコン、生けるもの全て“懲役100万年”

近未来。
世界は荒廃し、すべての生き物が外界では生きられなくなった。
人類は“パノプティコン”と呼ばれる都市を各地に作り、生きながらえていた。
しかし、枯渇した資源、厳しい環境で生きるための研究などを手に入れるため、各都市での抗争が続く。
各地のパノプティコンは人を管理するために、ほとんどの人間に懲役を科す。
人間が生きる罪“懲役100万年”
懲役を科せられた者は“咎人”と呼ばれ、労働を強いられる。
労働は“ボランティア”と呼ばれる戦争への参加。
“咎人”たちは自由のため、市民を“奪還”する戦いを繰り返す。

PS Vitaの様々な機能を活かしながら、
最大8人までの同時プレイがお楽しみいただける“奪還”マルチプレイアクション!

Freedom Wars is a brand new game which aims to offer a new gaming experience in the popular multiplayer action genre by taking advantage of the PS Vita's unique functions. The player is a criminal in a post-apocalyptic near future, sentenced to a million years of hard labor, fighting for his freedom. By completing missions where you rescue civilians and allies who have been captured by huge enemies known as Abductors, you can reduce your sentence. The game supports a maximum of 8 players at a time in both co-op and competitive modes, and supports Adhoc and Wi-Fi Online functions so players all over the country can play together. The game will also support the GPS and Near capabilities of the PS Vita to enhance the gameplay experience.

Product Description

The Prison Cities known as Panopticon - Where all living things are sentenced to "a million years of hard labor"

In the near future, the world lies in ruins, and the outside world can no longer support life.
Humanity created cities known as "Panopticon" around the world, and continued to survive.
However, the various cities compete with each other for depleting resources and the research which can sustain life in harsh environments.
To control their own population, each Panopticon imposes penal labor on their people - The crime of living carries a sentence of a million years.
Those living under these conditions are known as "Criminals" and they are forced into aiding the war effort as "Volunteers".
For a chance at freedom, these "Criminals" fight to rescue captureed civilians.

This is a 8 player "Recovery" Multiplayer Action game made possible by the many features of the PS Vita!

Gbraga

Sounds pretty good, I hope it's still story focused even though there's a big focus on multiplayer. The setting seems really interesting and I'd love to see a story develop there.

Skyzard

Banned
I mean there's quite clearly a story but I'm not sure any of it involves single player gameplay. You'd assume at the start. Perhaps after progressing to certain points too.

You're Judge Dredd, but young and Japanese, I've got decent hopes for this. I didn't bite on Soul Sacrifice but I might on this.

You're right though, I hope they develop the story well. GR told story pretty well and SS's lore was crazy good. The trailer and descriptions seem promising too, especially with huge invading monster robots. There's decent potential here.

zroid

Banned
uh wow, I didn't expect to be as excited for this as I am

love pretty much everything I've seen so far

edit: wait don't tell me it's multiplayer only... that is quite possibly the one thing which could singlehandedly kill all my buzz :|

duckroll

The only thing I was wrong about previously was that I thought the people you would be recovering where trying to escape (maybe some of them still are), but it seems more like inter-city conflicts leading to the use of giant robots to abduct people from other cities.

Guess it's Monster Hunter after all. :p

With all the money Sony spends on advertising and making MH clones, they could've bought a MH for Vita.

Looks like a Monster Hunter killer.

http://i.imgur.com/Eia4Ru2.jpg[IMG]

It mentions yahoo at the bottom right too.

[URL="http://i.imgur.com/uS30r16.jpg"]MH[/URL] for reference.

Come on Japan.[/QUOTE]
:lol

Zoc

Artstyle looks similar to Gravity Rush, looks to have been in production for about the amount of time that GR has been out, made by Studio Japan - this is what we're getting instead of GR2, isn't it? Dammit. Everything about this looks uninteresting to me - style, setting, gameplay. Goddammit.

TheChaos0

Artstyle looks similar to Gravity Rush, looks to have been in production for about the amount of time that GR has been out, made by Studio Japan - this is what we're getting instead of GR2, isn't it? Dammit. Everything about this looks uninteresting to me - style, setting, gameplay. Goddammit.

We don't know who's actually doing it though, might not have been Project Siren who did Gravity Rush.

AntMurda

This looks like PSO. What's with the Monster Hunter fascination? I am very excited about this. Soul Sacrifice on the other hand, that is not what I wanted.

Mondriaan

Its already been bought though.

I think the bigger issue is that Capcom has done basically everything in its power with MH is to avoid doing any work that would require creating assets beyond PSP level. Even Nintendo hasn't been able to dole out enough money to get a real HD version of the game on a system that could really use it.

I think the bigger issue is that Capcom has done basically everything in its power with MH is to avoid doing any work that would require creating assets beyond PSP level. Even Nintendo hasn't been able to dole out enough money to get a real HD version of the game on a system that could really use it.

I personally believe its nothing to do with assets. The Wii version looked great, those assets could easily fit into a Vita game. I just think the series has set sail either because of bad blood between Sony and Capcom (reference the whole MHP3 HD debacle) or because of $$$$$$$

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Game looks potentially good, reminds me of Lost Planet, probably cos of all the guns and deathmatchy competitive arena.

No, that system couldn't really use it, it wouldn't make a dent regardless of graphics, and you contradict yourxelf by showing how they can release a game that doesn't fully utilize the power of a system like Wii U but think they would be forced into fully utilizing the power of the Vita so they chose not to put it on that at all for that reason alone, as if they've been shy of that in the past, with putting 3DS/Wii games on PS3.

Looks like a Monster Hunter killer.

http://i.imgur.com/Eia4Ru2.jpg

It mentions yahoo at the bottom right too.

MH for reference.

Come on Japan.
Holy shit you're depserate.

Skyzard

Banned
^ +

Was the screenshot not accurate?

monster_hunter_4.jpg

uS30r16.jpg

Eia4Ru2.jpg

With all the money Sony spends on advertising and making MH clones, they could've bought a MH for Vita.

Its already been bought though.

True, it's clear that Nintendo has sealed an exclusivity contract because they realized how popular the MH franchise is on portables in Asia. Maybe Sony was just too late, negligent, or whatever, but we've all seen how the franchise is definitely not coming to Vita.

Yeah this is what got me bored of the franchise. Oh look, another wyvern. Oh look, another dodongo (or whatever those baboons are called). I know a lot of people love the familiarity but I personally got realllllly bored after a few hundred hours into Freedom Unite.

Anyway, this game, Freedom Wars, keeps getting better and better!

Alexios

^ +

Was the screenshot not accurate?
What does that have to do with how desperate you appear to be? Is your middle name straw man?

You don't even know if this game is anything like Monster Hunter yet present it as its killer just because what, it's multiplayer and there's some dragon thing? Where's the rational logic in any of this then?

How do graphics alone make something a "killer" of something else? Even assuming this game will be great, with little to base that on at this point, how does one game being great kill another that is also bound to be?

So yes, such knee jerk reactions make you appear extremely desperate, you aren't merely making comparisons between games, you proclaim one amazing and one dead based on next to no media and information. Troll.

BadWolf

Thanks for the translations duckroll, damn this sounds interesting.

The problem with the old name was that I think people who don't know about the word and what it means might easily mistake it for Patapon.

Skyzard

Banned
What does that have to do with how desperate you appear to be? Is your middle name straw man?

Where do you see the desperation? Seems like you're projecting your own insecurities to me. Discouraging obvious comparisons? Come on now.

You're better than that guys. (?)

So yes, such knee jerk reactions make you appear extremely desperate, you aren't merely making comparisons between games, you proclaim one amazing and one dead based on next to no media and information. Troll.

The trailer and screenshots speak volumes to me, my post was showing hope that Japan would see it too. I presented it as a killer in a semi-sarcastic way. It's you who took it as desperation for a reason. Everyone knows branding is important. As is already owning the console the game's coming to. I'm speaking to the things going for this game, do forgive me.

Didn't think such immense differences in graphical quality would be such a stretch to compare games of seemingly similar genres by.

You just come off as mad, don't blame me, blame Capcom like other users suggested. Maybe even...Nintendo!

I don't think Sony should be announcing 2014 Vita titles, but 2013 ones considering this Fall still looks really barren in terms of western and jp releases.

They should be announcing both.

I don't think Sony should be announcing 2014 Vita titles, but 2013 ones considering this Fall still looks really barren in terms of western and jp releases.

BadWolf

Why not? Might as well get the hype rolling.

They already said they are going to announce a game for 2013 soon and all signs point to E3 being a good showing for Vita.

Number45

I guess you're talking big retail releases, but there are so many games that have gone from reveal to release in a short span of time for the Vita recently that I have no concerns over a lack of content.

8 players and competitive multiplayer? Hell yeah!

Does it mean just the competitive is 8 players, or co-op as well? Not sure if a hunting game with 8 player co-op would be fun or overkill.

duckroll

Does it mean just the competitive is 8 players, or co-op as well? Not sure if a hunting game with 8 player co-op would be fun or overkill.

It's not specified, only that you can play up to 8 players in co-op/competitive multiplayer. We'll probably find out more tomorrow if it's in Famitsu, or on Thursday when the site updates some of the sections including the multiplayer section.

BadWolf

Says a maximum of 8 for both coop and competitive.

So 4v4 for PvP I'm guessing.

Sounds interesting. I like the art style and the premise. Multiplayer sounds good too. And I'm super excited that its on the vita. Hopefully exclusive. I'm in

Massive Action Game spiritual sequel?

Looks like a good concept, I'd like to see some gameplay though.

lol @ this already being anointed a MoHun killer, already. Hilarious.

Sounds interesting. I like the art style and the premise. Multiplayer sounds good too. And I'm super excited that its on the vita. Hopefully exclusive. I'm in

1st party, so...

jgmo870

Banned

Art style looks similar only on a shallow level, there's way more to Japan Studio than Gravity Rush's team (they just haven't done that much), SCEJ seems really proud of it - got Japanese goty awards and they made an extra commercial months after release, and Toyama has already been hinting at the sequel, not like it wasn't planned from the start.

We're getting GR2. Probably.

Alexios

You're clearly mad at the notion it might do well, in the reveal thread, who's trolling now?
Where did I imply it has no chance of doing well or that such would be bad? It would be great if it's a great game that does well and helps competition thrive in the handheld space.

More great games and I might get a Vita instead of 3DS, even. That's got nothing to do with killing things other people may like based on glimpses of gameplay and next to no information though.

You're clearly mad and continuing with the straw men, adding some ad hominem on top. Great.

Skyzard

Banned
Where did I imply it has no chance of doing well or that such would be bad? It would be great if it's a great game that does well and helps competition thrive in the handheld space.

You're clearly mad and continuing with the straw men, adding some ad hominem on top. Great.

What am I mad about? The game looks killer.

That's got nothing to do with killing things other people may like based on glimpses of gameplay and next to no information though.

You act like I wrote an essay on how it will destroy monster hunter. 3 words and screenshot comparison to give an idea of why some people might go for this instead. Heaven forbid apparently!

Skyzard

Banned
You see big ben in the trailer and they're using a lot of english...plus:

8fBhnB5.jpg

Said the same thing to me about folders.

I'm a bit confused about the whole GPS and region thing and how that'll translate (easily) though too, yeah :S Still, seems like a good idea for Japan especially. Might be a good way to get people talking about it with the new interesting features if done well. Near alone doesn't sound compelling and I'm not sure how many people use the 3G version for the GPS...but let's see, guess we don't know much else about what they actually are and how it all works yet.

We see a totally different type of map in another screenshot (that might be a mockup or a cut-scene though) - the one with the blue map overlay and the red dots + english directions saying "take the next left to..."
This one:

Guess one could be in-game and the other the GPS feature to mark spots or something? I'm not sure.

BadWolf

I'm a bit confused about the whole GPS and region thing and how that'll translate (easily) though too, yeah :S Still, seems like a good idea for Japan especially. Might be a good way to get people talking about it with the new interesting features if done well. Near alone doesn't sound compelling and I'm not sure how many people use the 3G version for the GPS...but let's see, guess we don't know much else about what they actually are and how it all works yet.

Not sure what the issue would be for localization, they could just divide it up by cities (or even countries) etc. instead of prefectures.

Skyzard

Banned
Not sure what the issue would be for localization, they could just divide it up by cities (or even countries) etc. instead of prefectures.

I guess I imagined they manually set up the events we see on the gps map for major cities but if it's automatic that does make a lot more sense haha.

Elios83

More Vita games is good but 'multiplayer action' is not what I was looking for, I thought the game was more a japanese action RPG.
If it has a good single player mode and a nice story I could still be interested.

Top Bottom