• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Yeah, interesting to see that Samsung partnership end up with Android phones in their stores (and not the long-forgotten Ativ series lol)
This is now the definitive Microsoft experience on mobile.

People are nonplussed when I mention in passing that Zune and Windows Phone are the two reasons I joined the company. Typically results in interesting conversations.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
N64, Dreamcast, GameCube, HD DVD (where I got my tag), Nokia, windows phone, zune, basically my entire adult tech life is a losing streak. But what a ride!

NeOak

Hold me please. I just preordered the S8+ with the Folio case to have something as close to Glance as possible.

:(

I also love being and underdog. I feel dirty having a Samsung phone.

That's the really annoying thing. For me it's not about being an underdog, but that Samsung's hardware is so cookie cutter. No style, no feeling for design and you see them everywhere. Even the S8 doesn't really change that. Sure, eliminating the need to design the front of your phone, because you turned it into a giant screen helps a little, but as soon as you look at the back, it's the same shit again. No regard for good design, nothing remarkable, nothing that stands out (in a good way), nothing remotely risky or exciting. The color options are a snoozefest, too. Even the purple and blue versions are kinda muted. Where's the dark red version with a black frame? How about some proper blue? Do something interesting with the glass on the back, ffs!

Ugh, it's really frustrating, because hardware-wise, the Galaxy phones are fine. I'd consider them pretty much feature complete. But the design is "fine" at best.

Paganmoon

That's the really annoying thing. For me it's not about being an underdog, but that Samsung's hardware is so cookie cutter. No style, no feeling for design and you see them everywhere. Even the S8 doesn't really change that. Sure, eliminating the need to design the front of your phone, because you turned it into a giant screen helps a little, but as soon as you look at the back, it's the same shit again. No regard for good design, nothing remarkable, nothing that stands out (in a good way), nothing remotely risky or exciting. The color options are a snoozefest, too. Even the purple and blue versions are kinda muted. Where's the dark red version with a black frame? How about some proper blue? Do something interesting with the glass on the back, ffs!

Ugh, it's really frustrating, because hardware-wise, the Galaxy phones are fine. I'd consider them pretty much feature complete. But the design is "fine" at best.

S8... cookie cutter? wat? the design is as unique as you can get with the phones nowdays, no?

hwalker84

If they stripped out all the Google BS except the store and replaced them with OS integrated MS services I'd possibly move from this damn iPhone.

S8... cookie cutter? wat? the design is as unique as you can get with the phones nowdays, no?

I see it as a more edgy S7 Edge without hardware buttons. Not really exciting. I haven't seen a good reason for phones without bezels either. The rounded corners on the display are the most "interesting" part of the design and LG got that, too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lots of reasons to hate on Samsung. Design certainly hasn't been one of them the past two years. The s8 is gorgeous, there's no real reason to debate over that.

My biggest problem is them basically coasting on their camera for two years now. It's a good one, but come on.

If MS had Metro Messaging and Launcher I'd think about it.
And outlook.

And Calendar

And made Groove better on Android

And camera

and keyboard

Also it all has to color match.

Lots of reasons to hate on Samsung. Design certainly hasn't been one of them the past two years. The s8 is gorgeous, there's no real reason to debate over that.

My biggest problem is them basically coasting on their camera for two years now. It's a good one, but come on.

I'm not hating on Samsung's design. It's just very safe and boring. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, it just doesn't get me excited.

clav

15063.0 is not a great build to upgrade on desktop. Had to revert back on a release preview ring.

Think everyone should wait.

15063.11 was just released today.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
SchueyF1 is hanging on for a few more months too. Fight the good fight fellas!

Lol, Hanging on for a bit longer mostly due to financial reasons. Onw thing I'm really looking forward to is not having a cracked screen amymore. My 950xl has been cracked since I got it basically.

Edit: I would really like to get the G6.

clav

More like, "Well, this is a meet up, and we just met for the first time, so we don't want to call people out we hate since we're still in the can you like us approval stage?"

I see that RS3 jumps quite a number of builds up. Should be some pretty big features.

Top Bottom