• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Awesome post! I am a big fan of this series and like the direction that the newer games are going in. Did Falcom even unveil what their teaser art a few months back was for? I remember some were hoping it was a new Ys title.

The only thing I prefer about Felghana is the music. And I don't care much for Hugo's gameplay, but the other two characters more than make up for that.

While I did dislike how slow he was, I did like Hugo's gameplay for being the player version of one of those bullet hell bosses that the Ys games love to do from time to time.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I also liked Origin more than Felghana, but I'm not sure if that might be in parts because I played Oath on Nightmare on my first playthrough and Origin only on Normal.

demidar

I didn't think so many people would agree with me. Thanks for making me not feel like a crazy person!

I actually replayed Origin after I finishes I+II and seeing all the callbacks was cool.

Oh nice thread! I just started playing the series recently after obtaining the PSP versions of the first games.
I played Ys I, II, Felghana and I'm now making my way through Celceta.

Loved all of them so far. Just Celceta was a bit disappointing at the beginning but it looks like it's picking up! Loving the artstyle, OST and level design. A bit less the loot and party system.

Ys I is my favorite so far! That old school feeling that I've been yearning for so long! :D

After I'll finish Celceta I'll wait a while until one of the following happens: Falcom announces Ys 8, Falcom announces Ys 5 remake Felghana/Celceta style.

I'll then play Origins and make my way through the second half of the series.

Adol is a PIG!
My favorite character so far is definitely Feena!

Awesome thread.

The discovery of Ys, and Falcom by association has been one of my greatest joys in gaming.

No lies, I only picked up Ys : Ark of Naphitism back then because it had elves on the cover.

Greatest impulse purchase, never looked back.

I didn't think so many people would agree with me. Thanks for making me not feel like a crazy person!

Let me try mine then...

SEVEN > Origins/Felghana.

*hides*

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
I'm fairly new to the Ys series, but XSeed and Falcom made a fan out of me when they released some of the games on Steam. Looking at the games list it strikes me how many different platforms these games have appeared on and how it would be difficult for me to play them at this point. I'd like to continue the series but don't have a PSP or a Vita. Maybe the Steam sales will renew Falcom's interest in PC or maybe I just have to suck it up and get a Vita.

Mr.Jeff

I think my only complaints about Origins would be traversing the same tower 3 times on different playthroughs with only minor changes and the Pictimos boss fight.

The first is basically a necessary evil since all three storylines are different enough that you couldn't have a character switching mechanic and one storyline but I just cannot enjoy the Picitimos boss fight. Just so frustrating and unenjoyable.

Really need to get round to my Felghana Inferno run. Then play the Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun. Then finish up with Ys V.

Levyne

Banned
No need to hide, I'd agree with that. Though it's a small ">", it's the OST that puts in the front. Hmm...maybe I should hide, too.

I really liked Seven's soundtrack. Moreso than Celceta. I was so pumped when Crossing Rage first kicked in, especially.

I don't have sound at work so I hope that is the right one and of okay quality (for youtube..)

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
What are the best versions of each game?

Someone posted their earlier in the thread but here's mine:

I & II: Chronicles on Steam, it's the most refined version. I have a weakness for the TG16 CD releases since they're the first ones I played, and of all of the versions before the modern Windows versions, they're the best bet. They should be available on the Wii VC too.

III: If you're talking the original releases of Ys III, either the TG16 version (for the music) or the Genesis version (for smooth scrolling). SNES one is the weakest and the old computer versions are neat for the novelty but not all that great to play. Oath in Felghana is a remake of this game's story and basically makes it obsolete, in which case the Steam version is the best. PSP version is still excellents and has a few extras (difficulty tweaks, voice acting, selectable soundtracks from earlier versions of Ys III) but the PC version runs smoother.

IV: There are four different versions of this game! They all have the same basic story but the actual level design and particulars of the plot are all unique. Until Memories of Celceta for the Vita was released, the best of these was the PCE version, Dawn of Ys. The SFC and PS2 versions suffer varying leveling of jankiness. Memories of Celceta is a modern remake of this story and drastically expands on some things and cuts out others. It's PROBABLY the best one but you should still play the PCE game.

V: The SFC one. PS2 one is also really cheaply made (and not in English).

VI: Windows. There's a fan translation. PS2 version is still good, but it has a lower frame rate, plus polygonal character models instead of sprites if that bothers you. Also has terrible CG cutscenes but you can access the original videos with a code as long as you're not playing the European version. PSP version is kinda bad.

Seven: PSP only except for a Chinese Windows port that, AFAIK, is impossible to play outside of the region due to DRM.

Origin: Only released on the PC

Zhao_Yun

I must admit that although I bought a lot of Ys Soundtrack CDs I've only played Ys Seven until now but I am eager to play all the remaining games soon! :)

Are Oath and Origin the only Ys of their kind? I tried Celceta and had to return it because it was so bad, and I'm not a fan of the bump system in 2 on Steam.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Are Oath and Origin the only Ys of their kind? I tried Celceta and had to return it because it was so bad, and I'm not a fan of the bump system in 2 on Steam.

Ys VI would be more like Oath and Origin though they are both better games. I still like VI a lot though.

batbeg

I own the ones on Steam but have only played I because I'm too dumb to have bought a controller to play them with. Should certainly get on that.

For what it's worth I loved the first one a lot.

Ys VI plays a lot like Oath and Origins. Doesn't feel as tight, but it's easy to see that VI's play style heavily influenced Oath and Origins.

Aw yeah, I need a place to scream how amazing this series is.

Subscribed.

Yeah, the only Ys on Steam are Oath, Origin, and Ys 1-2.

Ys 7 is great too, why didn't you like Celceta?

Levyne

Banned
Damn PC version not released in America :(

Anyone know how the PS2 version runs on PCSX2?

It ran well for me. Some of the character artwork looks fuzzy when blown up so large but not a dealbreaker. It took my a loong time to get used the the polygonial models though, and I had to turn the voice acting off too because it's really bad :p

Some steam shots.

1024x640.resizedimage

1024x640.resizedimage

The windows version also has a language patch.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Doesn't matter, the PS2 version sucks.

"Suck" is way too harsh here. The PS2 version is completely fine, the PC version might be better, but that doesn't make the PS2 one bad.
It's the most easily accessible (apart from the PSP one, I guess), so I'd recommend playing it.

Holykael1

Banned
The PC is the best way to play Napishtim imo.
Import a copy and apply the fan translation patch for the ultimate Napishtim experience,.
Ark of Napishtim is my least favourite Ys game but it's still pretty good.

I love the trials added to the PS2 version.

I couldn't stand those trials xD, jumping is not very fine tuned in Napishtim and the ps2 ver seems to sufffer from slight input delay.

Het_Nkik

So I've played Origin through V but I stopped there for the time being because I don't know which version of VI to play. So which is the best? From what I can tell from interneting, the PC version is the best but that's not available here in the US. So I only get to choose between PSP and PS2. I hear the PSP version is closest to the PC version but it has shit dumb load times. And the PS2 version seems to be all polygonal which I'm not really into... And neither version seems to have the blood splatters after killing enemies.

So, if I had to choose one, which should I go with?

Or do you think XSEED will be able to get the PC version on Steam sometime within the next year?

EDIT: Whoa, it's like my question was answered before I asked it.

Had a crazy JRPG urge last Friday at like 11PM. I really needed to play one and after awhile I decided that I would just buy Ys: Chronicles from the PS store for my vita.

Freaking amazing! Loved part 1, running through part 2.

Great series. Looking forward to the next dew iterations.

Holykael1

Banned
Had a crazy JRPG urge last Friday at like 11PM. I really needed to play one and after awhile I decided that I would just buy Ys: Chronicles from the PS store for my vita.

Freaking amazing! Loved part 1, running through part 2.

Great series. Looking forward to the next dew iterations.

Welcome to the party buddy! The best is still yet to come!!

Alric

Love the Ys games. Still gotta beat Celceta.

That said, my favorite is actually Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles for PSP. It bumped me in all the right ways.

Teknoman

I guess this would be a better place to ask than the PC engine thread:

Playing the Dawn of Ys fan dub/translation on actual hardware shouldnt tax the laser any more than normal right? I havent heard anyone complaining about it, but then there are usually rumors that using CD-Rs on older CD systems works the laser more than it should...or something to that effect.

Yeah, the only Ys on Steam are Oath, Origin, and Ys 1-2.

Ys 7 is great too, why didn't you like Celceta?

no jump, difficulty was non-existent, party system is not as fun as solo, lame boss fights, extremely poor framerate and visuals

I don't think I'd like 7.

The PC is the best way to play Napishtim imo.
Import a copy and apply the fan translation patch for the ultimate Napishtim experience,.
Ark of Napishtim is my least favourite Ys game but it's still pretty good.

such a hassle. I'll look into it

Alric

no jump, difficulty was non-existent, party system is not as fun as solo, lame boss fights, extremely poor framerate and visuals

such a hassle. I'll look into it

Don't feel bad. While I still need to beat Celceta. I didn't care for Seven that much especially after playing Ys Chronicles, Oath and Napishtim. I'm sure i'd like Origins a lot. I just prefer playing as Adol and enjoy it much more that way.

Tizoc

From what I heard, Origins improves Oath in Felghana, so I don't see why it'd be an issue if it's more favoured...gameplay-wise at least.

Don't feel bad. While I still need to beat Celceta. I didn't care for Seven that much especially after playing Ys Chronicles, Oath and Napishtim. I'm sure i'd like Origins a lot. I just prefer playing as Adol and enjoy it much more that way.

Yunica is basically girl Adol!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

From what I recall, the frame rate in 7 was fine - not the choppy mess Celceta tended towards. the game wasn't so blurry, either. And the sound effects/voices weren't so muffled. I have no idea how they managed it, but Celceta was a pretty big step back on the technical side in... just about every way. There were some nice vistas here and there, but that's about all it had going for it.

I still really enjoyed the game, but I was a bit disappointed.

Great OP! Ys is boss. I've played Ys Book I and II, got stuck as the last boss (Dark Fact was it?) and completed Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, and dabbled into the translated SNES Ys IV and Oath of Felgana. Wonderful gaming.

Someone posted their earlier in the thread but here's mine:

I & II: Chronicles on Steam, it's the most refined version. I have a weakness for the TG16 CD releases since they're the first ones I played, and of all of the versions before the modern Windows versions, they're the best bet. They should be available on the Wii VC too.

III: If you're talking the original releases of Ys III, either the TG16 version (for the music) or the Genesis version (for smooth scrolling). SNES one is the weakest and the old computer versions are neat for the novelty but not all that great to play. Oath in Felghana is a remake of this game's story and basically makes it obsolete, in which case the Steam version is the best. PSP version is still excellents and has a few extras (difficulty tweaks, voice acting, selectable soundtracks from earlier versions of Ys III) but the PC version runs smoother.

IV: There are four different versions of this game! They all have the same basic story but the actual level design and particulars of the plot are all unique. Until Memories of Celceta for the Vita was released, the best of these was the PCE version, Dawn of Ys. The SFC and PS2 versions suffer varying leveling of jankiness. Memories of Celceta is a modern remake of this story and drastically expands on some things and cuts out others. It's PROBABLY the best one but you should still play the PCE game.

V: The SFC one. PS2 one is also really cheaply made (and not in English).

VI: Windows. There's a fan translation. PS2 version is still good, but it has a lower frame rate, plus polygonal character models instead of sprites if that bothers you. Also has terrible CG cutscenes but you can access the original videos with a code as long as you're not playing the European version. PSP version is kinda bad.

Seven: PSP only except for a Chinese Windows port that, AFAIK, is impossible to play outside of the region due to DRM.

Origin: Only released on the PC

Thanks for the detailed info. I have Celcetta and was planning on starting it soon and then go play one of the earlier titles. Heard good things about Oath in Felghana. As I understand it, the ultimate version of this game would be the all the positives of the PSP and Steam versions combined (60fps+voice acting), but both versions have same visuals right?

Puru

Thanks for the detailed info. I have Celcetta and was planning on starting it soon and then go play one of the earlier titles. Heard good things about Oath in Felghana. As I understand it, the ultimate version of this game would be the all the positives of the PSP and Steam versions combined (60fps+voice acting), but both versions have same visuals right?

The game seems to look better on PC from the videos i saw of it (played it on my psp), the psp also suffers from some framerate drop during the last boss fight (at least i only noticed some there, only happens with one of his attack if the screen is too busy).

sprinkles

Need to get around and finish the fan translated version of V. No news from XSEED about getting the other games with PC versions onto Steam? Maybe after they get the Trails games out we will hear more..

Lucumo

Oh wow, that FMV shot from the PS2 version of Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim looks just awful. Never knew that(and was glad I didn't).

At least the PC version is awesome and together with Origins, they are my favorite Ys games.
Seven is the worst game so far which is no suprise, considering it wasn't developed for PC. But the characters are somehow bad as well...

Haven't played Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta yet...and the screenshots don't look too inviting. Sigh, I guess they lost their way.

Top Bottom