• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward Demo Impressions Thread

Kazerei

Banned
Screenshots! Nothing to look at graphically, but whatever. More importantly, the touch screen controls are perfect for point-and-click adventures like this. My only gripe is that writing and drawing memos is bit sloppy on the Vita. It's one of those situations where a stylus on resistive touch screen is better than fingers on a capacitive touch screen. Having a capacitive stylus would help alot.

Boot up screen artwork
49zMp.jpg

Story mode
6SeJ1.jpg

23fxl.jpg

ohyJO.jpg

YDOJU.jpg

Escape mode
4p9JY.jpg

M78qK.jpg

Well I'm glad there's a demo out now so that my want for this game can be at least temporarily satiated since I decided to cancel my preorder yesterday after evaluating my purchases for the month. There are just so many other great games releasing this month and I have to admit that I'm still pretty irritated about no preorder watch for Canada for the second time in a row.

It might not be the best place for this, but since I know at least one person from Aksys is monitoring this thread, I'd just like to say that it really sucks that the preorder promotion was US only. It just makes me feel less important to you as a customer and really doesn't push me to be loyal to you when it comes to months like this when there are more games I want than I have cash to spend. Anyway, food for thought for next time since I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Aeana

Is the text speed not adjustable?

Even after how much people whined about it in 999? :( At least you can press a button to make it appear immediately, but having to press a button twice for each window gets annoying after a while.

Spierek

I want to know where I can find this $145 3DS.

You can get them for approximately 120-150$ on our local auction site (allegro.pl, it's Polish), EU region locked, brand new. That's the only good thing about this country when it comes to Nintendo - second hand and imported consoles are incredibly cheap, but there's almost no Ninny support. Apparently there's a local branch, but they're busy not releasing games and putting ridiculous prices on them.

Wii Tank

It might not be the best place for this, but since I know at least one person from Aksys is monitoring this thread, I'd just like to say that it really sucks that the preorder promotion was US only. It just makes me feel less important to you as a customer and really doesn't push me to be loyal to you when it comes to months like this when there are more games I want than I have cash to spend. Anyway, food for thought for next time since I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Agreed. I was definitely pretty bummed out by that and I don't understand why this is so difficult for so many companies

Just finished both parts of the demo. Time for impressions.

Alright, first the novel part. The voice acting for the novel part was pretty good. I did think the voices were being slightly overpowered by the background music though. The graphics, on the other hand, were nice and clean. VLR looks fantastic on the Vita. Overall, i'd give the novel part a 10 since there were no big gripes I had with it and the small gripes I had didn't diminish from my enjoyment of the game.

Now onto the puzzle part. The puzzle was pretty fun (not too hard, but not easy either), but I did have some trouble investigating the various rooms using the touch screen. Maybe it's because I have rather large man fingers or maybe it's because i'm not used to using the touch screen with my finger, but it seemed kinda hard to click at the various items and whatnot on the screen. Also, someone's already mentioned it up top, but writing memos and stuff is kinda hard to do. Again, this may just be me, but it was kind of a pain in the butt. The analog sticks weren't a big help either because the scrolling was kinda fast. I feel maybe the investigating portions might work better with a stylus. So for the puzzle part i'm gonna have to go with an 8. Maybe people who are used to using touch screens with their fingers will have a better time, but I need my stylus.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the demo

Is it possible to get the secret archives file in the demo? I'm assuming it has something to do with the cassette I found and placed in room 3's phone, but I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it. If every room has one of these "secondary" objectives in the full game it's going to drive me crazy figuring them all out lol

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Finished the demo

Is it possible to get the secret archives file in the demo? I'm assuming it has something to do with the cassette I found and placed in room 3's phone, but I couldn't figure out how to do anything with it. If every room has one of these "secondary" objectives in the full game it's going to drive me crazy figuring them all out lol

The secret archive password is only accessible if you play on Hard and the demo is defaulted to Easy, so unfortunately you can't access that in the demo.

You'll have to wait for the full game to access the things you seek ;)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The secret archive password is only accessible if you play on Hard and the demo is defaulted to Easy, so unfortunately you can't access that in the demo.

You'll have to wait for the full game to access the things you seek ;)
Oh I see, can't wait (´・ω・`)

Also just noticed the demo includes the full instruction manual in the live area, neat. The flowchart function looks like it'll be really helpful for keeping track of and getting to the true end.

Is the text speed not adjustable?

Even after how much people whined about it in 999? :( At least you can press a button to make it appear immediately, but having to press a button twice for each window gets annoying after a while.

If I saw the gameplay right, you can make the text auto play so that you don't need to press to advance. That should save you some button clicking.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Oh I see, can't wait (´・ω・`)

Also just noticed the demo includes the full instruction manual in the live area, neat. The flowchart function looks like it'll be really helpful for keeping track of and getting to the true end.

Yup, that it does :)

I gotta say, even just watching a camera recording of the demo, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far! I'll be playing it on a 3DS, so I don't know how different it will look and sound when it comes to overall quality though.

One thing that was different from my expectations was that I thought the game would be fully animated (kinda like a movie), but at times it seems like that's not the case... Maybe it's just the quality of the video I was watching? It's not that big of a deal, but just curious if that's just my imagination...

Thoraxes

I gotta say, even just watching a camera recording of the demo, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far! I'll be playing it on a 3DS, so I don't know how different it will look and sound when it comes to overall quality though.

One thing that was different from my expectations was that I thought the game would be fully animated (kinda like a movie), but at times it seems like that's not the case... Maybe it's just the quality of the video I was watching? It's not that big of a deal, but just curious if that's just my imagination...

It dabbles in and out so far, but a lot of the animation is just stand in place and move your mouth and arms, or perform specific action. Kinda like older Tales cutscenes, if you will.
I put it in there just for you.

I love it.
I DO I DO I DOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It's gotta be sigma, although his
personality kind of betrays the serious, mature-looking character art.

depward

Why disable network features? Will this also be in effect for the full release? I like playing Vita games when in a party :/

- J - D -

Tried the demo. Feels like a slick successor to 999. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, at least in regards to the game's presentation. The gameplay segments are undoubtedly good, and will be better in the full game in Hard mode.

I really wished we could try the demo in Hard mode lol.

Eusis

I like how sharp it looks, but I do imagine I won't be losing much by sticking with the 3DS version (not that I have a choice short of double dipping if I want the watch). I also don't much like using my finger, it really DOES feel better for a stylus, but it's not as if that can't be addressed on capacitive touchscreens anyway.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Tried the demo. Feels like a slick successor to 999. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, at least in regards to the game's presentation. The gameplay segments are undoubtedly good, and will be better in the full game in Hard mode.

I really wished we could try the demo in Hard mode lol.

Regarding Hard Mode,
the puzzles are the same, however, your teammates won't provide you with any hints or funny dialog to help you along your way ;)

Vamphuntr

No 3DS demo anytime soon? >.> I'll wait until then I guess.

+1 about how disappointing it is that you can't preorder the watch bundle in Canada.

I want to know where I can find this $145 3DS.

Try to find a deal? In Canada I got mine for like 100$ in March because of a Futureshop/Tsilon deal.

Thoraxes

I need to... edit the puzzle video I took down to 15 minutes if I can help it lol.

I'll post it later when I finish that.

- J - D -

Regarding Hard Mode,
the puzzles are the same, however, your teammates won't provide you with any hints or funny dialog to help you along your way ;)

Right, and the removal of just those helpful elements will make the puzzles more challenging. The
tin foil shapes puzzles in particular weren't much of a challenge, but it was even less difficult due to the character's hints given the moment you pick up the necessary items (that being the foil itself and box cutter).

I am really looking forward to this. I do have a few issues with the game (at least what was shown in the demo), but they are relatively minor, like how there's so many methods of camera control but none of them feel quite right to me.

JKTrix

You mean these?
http://i.imgur.com/2QA2R.jpg

The game does explain that there are different secrets in a mode that isn't in the demo.

I'm actually stuck, because I don't have any
aluminium foil to put in the drawer
in room 3. I got the secret out of the safe, but not the actual escape password!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
You mean these?
http://i.imgur.com/2QA2R.jpg

The game does explain that there are different secrets in a mode that isn't in the demo.

I'm actually stuck, because I don't have any
aluminium foil to put in the drawer
in room 3. I got the secret out of the safe, but not the actual escape password!

Yup, those would be it :)!

More of those will become available if
you find the password during hard mode that gives you access to the gold file, which will contain those database entries :)

Gotta collect them all!

The foil is in a locker (which happens to be unlocked), which also has the box cutter on the table I believe.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding Hard Mode,
Huh, that's kind of a dilemma then. I'm assuming the
secret archives
from hard mode will shed a lot of light on the plot, but at the same time the funny dialogue is a huge draw.

Maybe I'll go easy mode the first time through for that dialogue and then hard later for the story. Hopefully you go through every room at least twice when trying to get all the endings.

Just finished the demo, and man, I'm impressed. It looks fantastic on the OLED screen and the puzzle was a lot of fun.
I unlocked the silver hidden file (Sigma's cat tic is so cute), but I couldn't get the answering machine to play the cassette tape in Room 3. Was there a way to get it to play?

Best quote:

Zero III: The NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONARY GAAAAAAAAMEEEEE

I have
the secret password from the phone message but it won't let me use it on the final locker because I seem to be missing a key. But the only key I've seen was for the handcuffs...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the demo, and man, I'm impressed. It looks fantastic on the OLED screen and the puzzle was a lot of fun.
I unlocked the silver hidden file (Sigma's cat tic is so cute), but I couldn't get the answering machine to play the cassette tape in Room 3. Was there a way to get it to play?

Best quote:

Zero III: The NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONARY GAAAAAAAAMEEEEE
Wait what was the
silver hidden file and how do you unlock it?
I was under the impression you weren't able to in the demo since it only has easy mode.

JKTrix

The silver hidden file is for easy mode, the gold file is for unavailable-in-demo hard mode. I got the silver file myself.

It gave me 3 pieces of foil which I used in rooms 1,2 and 4. I can't seem to re-use them once they're in the drawers.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
The silver hidden file is for easy mode, the gold file is for unavailable-in-demo hard mode. I got the silver file myself.

It gave me 3 pieces of foil which I used in rooms 1,2 and 4. I can't seem to re-use them once they're in the drawers.

You're supposed to use those codes to unlock the locked lockers :)

This is where I'm stuck as well. My Vita's near death, so I need to find it quick.

Wait what was the
silver hidden file and how do you unlock it?
I was under the impression you weren't able to in the demo since it only has easy mode.

The demo mentioned that silver files were available in easy mode, and gold files in hard mode.
You unlock the silver file by inputing "1986" into the phone in Room 1. The Announcer will congratulate you and show you another code to put into the Room 1 locker, which is locked again. In there is a new password for the safe, which contains the silver file.

Astral

Damn this game is cool. I don't really know what it is but it's cool. My lack of attention made the Escape section last a lot longer than it should have but it was fun. I'll have to get it at some point, but for now P4G comes first. Are Easy and Hard the only two difficulty options? Hard mode doesn't sound too appealing since there's no funny dialogue between the characters.

Hard mode doesn't sound too appealing since there's no funny dialogue between the characters.

I don't think it'll necessarily impact the dialogue between the characters, just less "You've seen this before, haven't you?" "That says #, and that's a circle, so that must mean..!" "Maybe if you tried that key you just got, it will open!" You know, obvious stuff like that.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I don't think it'll necessarily impact the dialogue between the characters, just less "You've seen this before, haven't you?" "That says #, and that's a circle, so that must mean..!" "Maybe if you tried that key you just got, it will open!" You know, obvious stuff like that.

Well, easy mode will provide with some fun dialog between characters, but completing hard mode is
also a necessity for getting the gold files, getting the Platinum Trophy in the Vita version, and to unlock something at the end :3

Top Bottom