• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

Axass

The music is amazing, best stuff I've heard in some time. The art style works beautifully but needs some tweaking, still 100% better than the usual anime crap jrpgs have gotten used to. Primrose story was dark, realistic and nicely written, the cut scenes were a tad too long, but the English VO was surprisingly on point. The menus and map feature an otherworldly charm. The random battles are satisfyingly quick and colorful, the bosses seem rightly challenging and long, forcing you to ponder your options with acumen.

The elements for a great game are all there and it can only get better if they listen to feedback.

Okay this is pretty good. Finished the knight's path and messed around a lot. Got to the second town and explored everything I could find - hit 1:20 on the clock. The boost mechanic seems neat, and I'm digging the game's aesthetic. Music is really good, with the desert theme being the standout for me. Doesn't seem to be an world map in the style of old Final Fantasies, but I also enjoy the style of games like FF12 where it's just regular areas that interconnect, so that's cool. Voice acting and writing seem fine.

Few gripes: framerate seems a bit choppy. From the visuals I would expect 60fps, but hopefully the game can at least run at a locked 30 at launch. The aggressive vignetting (correct term? the darkening of the edge of the screen) is something I'll have to get used to...feels a bit oppressive even though the game's content doesn't seem especially bleak. Game could definitely use a fast forward button to speed up traversal and encounters where you're just alternating between mobs caught in stunlock.

Game is super on my radar.

Plum

Kill the regular guys first, use the sword attack that hits all enemies.

Also, keep in mind that you can also boost the defend command. Use that on the turn right after the boss uses abide to reduce the damage from his super strong followup attack.

Shiiit, why didn't I get that I could boost defense?

Thanks a lot for the help, I'll try again in the morning.

Kill the regular guys first, use the sword attack that hits all enemies.

Also, keep in mind that you can also boost the defend command. Use that on the turn right after the boss uses abide to reduce the damage from his super strong followup attack.

Holy crap you can boost your blocking? It didn't even occur to me. I really like this battle system.

Played a bit of Primrose's story. Man, this is dark. I really wasn't expecting the tone of this game at all. The writing so far seems pretty strong.

The battle system seems a lot of fun, too. Will definitely take me some time to get the hang of everything. The BP stuff definitely makes it feel like a Bravely Default successor, although with a different sort of implementation.

And of course, it's downright gorgeous and the music is wonderful.

This has gone from a "that teaser looked pretty neat" to "Day 1" for me.

Playing the demo, I fucking LOVE this game's design and gameplay. Only disappointment is that despite looking exactly how I would picture Romancing SaGa 4, it doesn't have the inspiration lightbulb attacks.

I'm really intrigued by this. I've been disillusioned with JRPGs for a long time, but there seems to be some interesting ideas happening here.

Definitely in for the demo.

I would like to recommend the Trails series to you, but it might not be your cup of tea. Give it a try though :)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
God, its vibe is like a new SaGa Frontier.

If I was broke from spending my ducats on headphone gear, I'd almost buy a Switch just for this game.

Anyone wanna buy me one?

Torkith

The music is absolutely amazing. I'm loving his game but it really makes me want a game with this design but with a vibrant colour pallet.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Not since Viewtiful Joe has a demo been so compact in it's artstyle and ideal that after 5 mins with the get not only do you "get it", you love it as well. I will purchase whatever steelbook, soundtrack artbook LTD edition this game comes with.

Ninman

Just finished the Ser Berg (knight) path, OMFG this is my most anticipated game for 2018, felt like playing FFIII (VI) for the first time, tears of joy.

Scrawnton

Just finished Primrose's demo and holy cow. This game oozes perfection. The writing and voice acting are so amazing it's hard to believe it's from the same developers of Bravely Default.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Probably been said, but this feels like a successor to Live a Live.

Can't wait for this to come out.

Neoxc

Neo Member
Started with Olberic and I love the battle system. Can't wait for the full release to try out the other characters.

NotLiquid

I love this. This has instantly gone up my radar and convinced me quicker than Bravely Default did. I love the combat system, the game oozes charm, the characters already feel memorable, music and VA is great, they've got something amazing going on here.

Could very well be a JRPG classic if it lives up to the promise of the demo. This is everything a demo should be, really. The only thing I didn't particularly enjoy was the battle transitions - feels a little too sharp and sudden. Other than that this is a promising start and I applaud them for putting out a demo so damn soon, despite the game still possibly being over half a year away.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
releasing this demo was the best decision they could have made... so many people were just lukewarm on the game but now this will boost sales for sure.

Scrawnton

I love this. This has instantly gone up my radar and convinced me quicker than Bravely Default did. I love the combat system, the game oozes charm, the characters already feel memorable, music and VA is great, they've got something amazing going on here.

Could very well be a JRPG classic if it lives up to the promise of the demo. This is everything a demo should be, really. The only thing I didn't particularly enjoy was the battle transitions - feels a little too sharp and sudden. Other than that this is a promising start and I applaud them for putting out a demo so damn soon, despite the game still possibly being over half a year away.

You and I have literally the same complaint. The battle transition needs a sound effect or something to carry it into battle.

Sojiro

Game looks so damn good! Instantly thought SaGa as well when it showed 8 people. Downloading now, can't fucking wait! Nintendo killed it this direct!

Lunar FC

I was literally joking about seeing this game at the direct, so hyped that it had a presence. Can't believe we got a demo. Please don't change name.

Beat Primrose's story.

I am in awe. Her boss fight was absolutely incredible and was designed in such a way that it taught you the applications of the Boost system, weaknesses, buffs, and the limitations of those mechanics combined.

It honestly felt like a boss ripped straight out of Nocturne.

If the rest of the game keeps up like this, this might be an all time favorite of mine.

assuming the story only covers the character that you 1st pick & won't intersect with other 7, they need to increase the save slots. 3 isn't enough for 8 characters

Steejee

I'm like 5 minutes into Primrose's and I'm already sold on this. Probably quit before I get very far to save it all for real release.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This game is insanely pretty but I think I'll need to wait for full impressions. The writing in the village (as the soldier) is slightly more contrived than I'd like in a way that feels a bit boilerplate, and I have some quibbles with some of Bravely Default's boss designs

EDIT: Like specifically his dialogue with the villagers is a bit "as you all know...". I don't feel like these are people he knows

Strings

assuming the story only covers the character that you 1st pick & won't intersect with other 7, they need to increase the save slots. 3 isn't enough for 8 characters

The trailer shows Primrose and Olberic in the same party, so I think we can assume they'll meet up eventually.

They also use his challenge on Primrose's master, so I assume the chronology is a bit messy, since
the guy dies at the end of Primrose's demo chapter

Sn4ke_911

Wow Primrose's prologue is dark... but I love how mature it is.

Played Primrose's route, and damn that was fun.
Combat was clever, music sounded great, art was charming and even the writing (weakest aspect in Bravely) was solid.
Day 1 for sure. Hopefully it releases early 2018.

Sn4ke_911

The trailer shows Primrose and Olberic in the same party, so I think we can assume they'll meet up eventually.

They also use his challenge on Primrose's master, so I assume the chronology is a bit messy, since

Yeah you can meet her in the demo and have her in your party.

Steejee

Yeah at first it sounded like it'd be 8 different short stories, but after watching more of the footage and such I'm thinking it's akin to seiken densetsu 3 - each character has an opening chapter and some character specific stuff throughout the game, but they meet up with all the other characters at some point and the main story is shared.

yeah they can join your party, but right now i'm unsure if their story will be in if they're not the 1st pick
DJpc-VPVoAEhvFk.jpg
the wording in the demo makes me feels like that

Yeah at first it sounded like it'd be 8 different short stories, but after watching more of the footage and such I'm thinking it's akin to seiken densetsu 3 - each character has an opening chapter and some character specific stuff throughout the game, but they meet up with all the other characters at some point and the main story is shared.

hmm quite possible.

Played Oberic's section and as much as I want to delve into Primrose's I'll wait for release as long as the game isn't $50 plus.
It seems extremely likely it's going to be $50 plus. I'm expecting a full blown jrpg here with something like 80 hours of gameplay. I could be wrong but that's the precedent from Bravely Default, etc.

vareon

When can we give feedback?

Feels like there's a tiny bit of slowness when choosing options in UI and the shop/equip isn't very clean. I don't know if it's possible but I want some of the QoL features of Bravely Default, like Battle Speed setting, auto battle and encounter rate setting. But maybe Octopath wasn't as grindy as leveling classes in BD so they don't include it.

Other than that the demo is fucking amazing.

Its crazy how you can interact with the world. For example

In Primrose's demo there is a cave that the guy says there are too strong monsters to enter. Just use allure on him and he moves outta the way and you can go in

I hope they litter the game with that stuff.

Exentryk

My God! This looks glorious!!! The combat also has the BP stuff from Bravely... hell yeah!!!

Can't wait to go home and play the demo!

Top Bottom