• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

DXPett1

Google actually communicating and the GSM Nexus getting 4.0.4...

In the words of WrassleGAF

daniel-bryan-yes-yes-yes-o.gif

Soooo, what does 4.0.4 actually do?

Based on people who used leaked build (from xda)

Work In Progress. Will update as I discover more:
Noticeably Faster
Android OS bug fixed (in battery stats)
Long-pressing on a blank spot on the last page of app tray bug is gone
New Radios. 3G/4G switching MUCH better. Don't even notice it changing.
Improved signal strength
New Power Menu. New from 4.0.2, familiar to those who have used a stock 4.0.3 rom. Screenshot here
PRIMELA03 Bootloader
Faster boot up time
Auto-brightness Functionality changed. Smooth transition
Holding down camera button now refocuses again
Multitouch issue seems resolved. Screenshot here
Autorotate is faster
Browser performance noticeably improved
Recent apps list opens faster
Miscellaneous camera UI changes
Increased volume
Keyboard fixes
Updated News & Weather app UI
Improved quick controls in browser. New when coming from 4.0.2. Present in 4.0.3. Screenshot here (Update: 02/05)

wario

Noticeably Faster
Improved signal strength
New Power Menu. New from 4.0.2, familiar to those who have used a stock 4.0.3 rom. Screenshot here
PRIMELA03 Bootloader
Faster boot up time
Autorotate is faster
Increased volume
Keyboard fixes
Improved quick controls in browser. New when coming from 4.0.2. Present in 4.0.3. Screenshot here (Update: 02/05)

seems pretty substantial

Zeppu

Wait, not rolling out for GSM GNs?

Noticeably Faster
Improved signal strength
PRIMELA03 Bootloader
Faster boot up time
Autorotate is faster
Increased volume
Keyboard fixes

Link to post please?

SimleuqiR

You guys/gals need to chill out. Last time there was an official GSM update it took about three weeks for my phone to get the update pushed to it. Some will get it sooner than others.

Husker86

The one where images aren't fit to screen and you have to scroll around to read the entire email message because you can't zoom?

That's not a bug, it is meant to be that way and it fuckin sucks I agree. I have a feeling it has to do with patents involving zooming in on independent zones in an application or something. That's all I can come up with.

Blackhead

Redarse
That's not a bug, it is meant to be that way and it fuckin sucks I agree. I have a feeling it has to do with patents involving zooming in on independent zones in an application or something. That's all I can come up with.

The lack of zoom is one thing—that's been a longstanding issue—but I'm pretty sure HTML formatted emails and pictures were always fit-to-width or zoomed out in the gmail app on honeycomb and gingerbread apps and that something changed with ICS. Iirc Nexus S that got the early pulled ICS update experienced the same problem.

GSM Nexus here on the YAKJUX build with root:

1) Is the YAKJUX build part of the 4.04 rollout?
2) Does the fact that I have root fuck things up for me if I do an OTA update?

Husker86

The lack of zoom is one thing—that's been a longstanding issue—but I'm pretty sure HTML formatted emails and pictures were always fit-to-width or zoomed out in the gmail app on honeycomb and gingerbread apps and that something changed with ICS. Iirc Nexus S that got the early pulled ICS update experienced the same problem.

Interesting, they never were like that on my previous devices.

malyce

GSM Nexus here on the YAKJUX build with root:

1) Is the YAKJUX build part of the 4.04 rollout?
2) Does the fact that I have root fuck things up for me if I do an OTA update?
the yakju is the only variant that get upates directly from google, but there is a way convert to yakju by flashing stock yakju images.

You should not need to roll back to flash official 4.0.4.

Acutally, at of the time of this post you do need to be on stock 4.0.2 and have a yakju GNex for it go go smoothly

I'm on AOKP M4 and I really dont feel like going back to stock just for the update so I'll just wait for build 29, which *crosses fingers* should be based on 4.0.4

DXPett1

God dammit. I swear it was zero effort to flash ROMs on the Nexus One with ADB. Seems with the GNex, you have to root, push the file with ADB into cache and then flash. Think i'll just wait for the OTA

malyce

God dammit. I swear it was zero effort to flash ROMs on the Nexus One with ADB. Seems with the GNex, you have to root, push the file with ADB into cache and then flash. Think i'll just wait for the OTA

Isn't it easier to copy the .zip to your sd card and flash said ROM from recovery? There is even a toolkit that practically roots your phone for you.

Salaadin

Question: I was browsing gaf on the Chrome browser this morning and clicked a youtube link but didnt bring up the option to open the video in youtube. Instead, Chrome tried opening it and couldnt load the video..

I tried clearing the defaults for both Chrome and the youtube app but that didnt help. SOmething Im overlooking?

malyce

Question: I was browsing gaf on the Chrome browser this morning and clicked a youtube link but didnt bring up the option to open the video in youtube. Instead, Chrome tried opening it and couldnt load the video..

I tried clearing the defaults for both Chrome and the youtube app but that didnt help. SOmething Im overlooking?

Chrome can't handle youtube links... for now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh and if anyone is worrying about my battery life, it's a lot better now for some reason. Drains half as fast as it did the first week or so I had it. Maybe I just needed to stress the battery a little, or the calibration was off or something.

gcubed

Oh and if anyone is worrying about my battery life, it's a lot better now for some reason. Drains half as fast as it did the first week or so I had it. Maybe I just needed to stress the battery a little, or the calibration was off or something.

i had my phone at a concert last night with horrible reception. I took it out of my pocket and it was VERY hot to the touch, and the battery was just about gone... this phone does NOT like searching for signal

Zeppu

First week is the OMG-I-HAVE-A-NEW-PHONE-I-NEED-TO-PLAY-WITH-IT-ALL-THE-TIME period. Isn't really a good way to gauge day to day use.

Menelaus

Banned
Been playing with an iphone 4s as my daily driver this week.

Makes the Gnex extended battery look like the doggy doo it is.

To be fair, the Gnex IS pushing a whole inch more of screen, but still. Amazing to pull my phone out of my pocket at noon and see it with 96% battery.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
First week is the OMG-I-HAVE-A-NEW-PHONE-I-NEED-TO-PLAY-WITH-IT-ALL-THE-TIME period. Isn't really a good way to gauge day to day use.

Even still, remember my "Google Music on the way to work" example? Where I lost 14% in about 40 minutes just playing music, with the Wi-Fi off, and not even streaming the music (it was pinned.)

Now in the same situation I only lose about 7-8%, with Wi-Fi enabled. Things are quantitatively better.

gcubed

Been playing with an iphone 4s as my daily driver this week.

Makes the Gnex extended battery look like the doggy doo it is.

To be fair, the Gnex IS pushing a whole inch more of screen, but still. Amazing to pull my phone out of my pocket at noon and see it with 96% battery.

definitely no comparison. Its amazing though what you can do with a specific built non replaceable battery.

Blackhead

Redarse
It seems like the GAF overlords have fixed the full site autoformatting on mobile devices. Could someone check that it's working in the ICS browser?

Top Bottom