• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

And.... instant backlog! My Y-Wing, Scuttler, Catwoman and Riddler order arrived, and I found the new dragon locally. Was thinking of getting the Bugatti Chiron too (seriously, look at that thing!) and maybe the Ravager, but some things can wait for later.

My Ideas backlog is increasing... will build Yellow Submarine first I think.

After buying two sets I really had no interest in (Mars rover & BBT) I pulled the bandage off and quit buying Ideas sets just to "have the whole theme".

Maze, Beatles & Adventure Time don't really interest me, but the Caterham looks great. Still thinking about that one.

After buying two sets I really had no interest in (Mars rover & BBT) I pulled the bandage off and quit buying Ideas sets just to "have the whole theme".

Maze, Beatles & Adventure Time don't really interest me, but the Caterham looks great. Still thinking about that one.

Yeah, not all of them are amazing builds. These are the only ones I have. I would have skipped Dr Who too if I hadn't found it at 50% last Black Friday.

The Ideas boxes are amazing. Have the pricier sets (modulars, disney castle, etc) started using this type of box?

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach until something concrete comes out for this movie.

Fair enough. True or not, my expectations are tempered after TLBM. In retrospect it was good but not mind blowing.

The Ideas boxes are amazing. Have the pricier sets (modulars, disney castle, etc) started using this type of box?

The employee gift sets and Architecture series uses this type. That's actually one of the reasons I love the Architecture sets so much; the presentation is wonderful.

I think the Technic Porsche also features similar packaging, albeit expanded even further.

The huge sets don't use this type as there are just way too many pieces. The Disney Castle is just a big old massive box.

papluh

Technic Porsche uses 2-piece box with separate top lid. The problem there is the delicate matte finish. You can easily scratch it by just handling like that young lady with long ... fingernails did in LEGO Store for mine :( Also while looking better it does not open so easily.

I like those Ideas/Architecture/Specials boxes of the flap / tuck top better. They are good for storage and stacking. And for most Ideas sets they can store the set (partly) build (like Yellow submarine, Birds,..) or even 2 at once (Exo + GB,..).

I understand it might be an overkill for those common sets like CITY, but I'd like to see them in the more expensive ones. It should not be a problem size or price wise as I got even common electronics in such kind of boxes (the largest could hold even a modular).

Even better, for big sets like modulars I'd include some internal spacers as I'm finidng it quite common that if such heavy set is shipped the some parts will come scratched just form the courier handling (in combination with weight and lot of air in box).

Rant finished...

Ponn

Banned
Talk about last minute with the Ideas set Lego. Kinda disappointed in it. Not that the idea behind these sets shouldn't exist but since we already had one these should be a separate theme at this point instead of taking up a spot from a fresh Idea set. I'm almost wondering if maybe they tried for the Voltron set but couldn't get the license. In that case I would have liked that Lovelace set for something different. Oh well.

Wow, this is me after seeing that Ideas pick:

SU3TedM.gif

Let's focus on the positive. There is hope for Voltron!
Could be reviewing design to see if it can work as a set and/or investigating license.

Speaking of Ideas sets, Caterhan is on sale on Amazin US for 25% off. I would have pulled the trigger but there are sooo many sets and minfigs I want I have to skip a lot of other ones. I am trying to rationalize that I could sell it later, but I have a huge backlog and stuff still to sell. Ugh....first world problems.

So we have another 'ladies' Ideas set. To be honest there was not much to chose from that had real chances (Ideas now has one building planned, SW are no go, that Lambo is not really that legendary, LHC and Lovelace geeky but not enough)
https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/121
Let's at least hope Voltron will have better fate as the 'delayed' Start Citizen set.
2866920-o_1b90sdq5r1hjr1k0s1irr1df11ncca.png

2866927-o_1b90sgpgs1qbv10198ak1102p8aa.png

I was hoping for tve Observatory... But it is a big set, so chances were smaller...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The Women of NASA project is a good idea, but there's not much of any kind of decent build. Hopefully LEGO will spice it up a bit rather than stick with generic vignettes.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
If you want to provide input on the future of LEGO set packaging, please participate in LEGO's AFOL packaging survey, which ends on March 6th.

http://lego.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/yma/afol-packaging-survey/
Already completed.

Maybe a bit off-topic but I did comment on always having cardboard backing for the sticker sheets and instructions- up until recently they were nearly always at the bottom of the box squished under all the bags.

Not really fussed about displayability as I usually receycle anyway, but useful survey nonetheless.

The next review period has so many good stuff in it. Iron Giant, The Volkswagen, The ship-in-a-bottle, ...

Personally, as a big lover of all things Portugal, I hope the Vintage Tram makes it.
I LOVED the Ship-In-A-Bottle set, for some reason I thought that was going to be in this most recent batch of reviews.

Going to be a long wait to hear if that gets approved or not. :(

Ponn

Banned
The Women of NASA project is a good idea, but there's not much of any kind of decent build. Hopefully LEGO will spice it up a bit rather than stick with generic vignettes.

If they would have combined that with the observatory that would have been a hell of a set.

Yeah, modular building site was the one I liked most but there's never going to be a modular Ideas set, however good it is.

I like the idea behind the NASA set, but I've no idea who'd want it.

I had $10 in VIP credit and went to get the joker brickheadz. Thought I could get it for free but the dude at the register said I couldn't use the $10.00 because the brickheadz is technically $9.99 and the 1 cent throws it off because you can only use VIP in $5 even increments. Kinda bullshit but I just got a keychain and ended up spending $2.

If you want to provide input on the future of LEGO set packaging, please participate in LEGO's AFOL packaging survey, which ends on March 6th.

http://lego.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/yma/afol-packaging-survey/
Done. I don't care about packaging and answered accordingly. I'd rather they not add more cost just for sake of packaging that I almost always throw away. I said if they made it compostable I'd toss it outside instead of the landfill.

Ponn

Banned
Done. I don't care about packaging and answered accordingly. I'd rather they not add more cost just for sake of packaging that I almost always throw away. I said if they made it compostable I'd toss it outside instead of the landfill.

What about edible packaging?

Yeah all packaging does it take up space which is already a problem with most people collecting lego

Staying up late, thinking double VIP kicked in tonight. Nope. Kicks in on the 6th. BAH!

And who wants to place a bet that they extended double VIP to the end of the month like they did last March (or was it the March before that)?

Osahi

Yeah all packaging does it take up space which is already a problem with most people collecting lego

You should see my hobby room. Littered with boxes. And I don't buy as much as you guys :p

Should make work of throwing out the non-d2c boxes and flatten the modulars, disney castle, ...

Fowler

You should see my hobby room. Littered with boxes. And I don't buy as much as you guys :p

Should make work of throwing out the non-d2c boxes and flatten the modulars, disney castle, ...

I don't care about packaging...

...except for some of the Ideas sets, which come in nice boxes with good manuals.

(Damnit, I do care.)

Flattenng boxes makes a HUGE difference. I dont believe it reduces the resell value much. It's more of the condition of the box I think.

magawolaz

Made some progress with my old sets. Niece came over and surprisingly she likes pirates! We remade the sails of the Renegade Runner (traced a scan found online with photoshop, printed, cut a template, and spray painted with a can of black paint I found in the garage).

Also remade the billboards in my football stadium, whitening the pieces and printing the sponsors on photographic paper. Had to redo all the logos from scratch in Photoshop.
Pretty happy with the results.

_Rob_

Not a bad job at all! I get the feeling that Lego restoration will be an ever growing part of the hobby as time goes on!

Is that the set with the Zidane minifigure? Got that at my dads I think.

Decided to pick up Misfortunes Keep (70605) for my son, it doesn't look the best but has some nice elements and seems well worth the £34!

wetwired

After the lightbox post I went to Ikea today for something else and came home with a little Lack table. Just need some white cloth now.

magawolaz

Not a bad job at all! I get the feeling that Lego restoration will be an ever growing part of the hobby as time goes on!
Yeah, luckily it's the only set I have with so many stickers, I hate them with a passion. Hopefully this paper will last longer

Decided to pick up Misfortunes Keep (70605) for my son, it doesn't look the best but has some nice elements and seems well worth the £34!
No, didn't even know there was a Zidane minifig :O I remember the real Zidane on the box and instructions though

DonShula

OK now I'm going to take the survey just to echo this. Nothing more annoying than trying to keep the instruction booklet open because it was folded over in the bottom of the box.

After the lightbox post I went to Ikea today for something else and came home with a little Lack table. Just need some white cloth now.

Nice. Post pics when you're done.

I was going to use an old bed sheet but my wife saw me trying to sneak it downstairs so tissue paper was an acceptable alternative.

Long story short - hid the bed-sheet better than I did.

Osahi

Did the survey too, just proposed that they already seperate the bags in smaller interiour boxes in larger sets like DIsney Castle. Would make the box sturdier, and it would also be easier to locate every bag you need per number.

Plus it has Nadakhan and most of all, it has PIRATE JAY which is exclusive to this set i believe! I really need to get him off Bricklink sometime...

Top Bottom