• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars x GOG Giving Away The Witcher

Jerry

It's a bit janky, the combat feels more like a rhythm game, and the graphics are a bit dated.

But I love it. Well worth a play for anyone curious.

Mexen

It's a bit janky, the combat feels more like a rhythm game, and the graphics are a bit dated.

But I love it. Well worth a play for anyone curious.

It's the Enhanced Edition so maybe some people might find it playable even today

Good ole witcher 1.

Never completed a witcher game but the first one had some funny moments.

That dinner party around that old ladies house and you choose what guest to invite was great.

I love it and its free, what more can you ask for?
If you dont have it, at least try it.

I played the enhanced edition just before the release of the witcher 2, and even if it can be a little janky, some of the stuff feels better than the wicher 2, like the sidemission jobs, and are more similar to the stuff in the witcher 3.

RIP me

Replayed this last year with the Steam Controller and the combat, which I always thought was a bit misunderstood, really shined. Still timing-based of course, but I was able to focus on the tactics and using signs more.

Still a really enjoyable game, if you can get past the aging graphics and odd combat, it's worth the time.

Mexen

RIP me

Replayed this last year with the Steam Controller and the combat, which I always thought was a bit misunderstood, really shined. Still timing-based of course, but I was able to focus on the tactics and using signs more.

Still a really enjoyable game, if you can get past the aging graphics and odd combat, it's worth the time.

Cool. I was gonna just play 3 if this giveaway didn't happen.

jediyoshi

I got fucked, code says already redeemed when I redeem it.

I'm just lazy enough to not care enough to email support.

Deft Beck

They've given this game out multiple times -- along with its sequel -- before, right?

Still, it's a great deal for anyone curious about the series' origins.

Dr. A

They've given this game out multiple times -- along with its sequel -- before, right?

Still, it's a great deal for anyone curious about the series' origins.

Yup, GOG has offered Witcher 1 for free multiple times for years. And to a lesser degree, Witcher 2.

Games are totally worth it!

Lifeline

Is the combat better with a controller? I've only played a little bit, but it's pretty weird with keyboard and mouse.

I fell off Witcher 3 shortly after leaving the first area, decided to finish this before I go back. Is it worth it? Is the story any good?

Mozendo

Tried playing it last year or so and couldn't get past the incredibly repetitive combat. Kudos to anyone who can get past the first few hours

Mexen

I got fucked, code says already redeemed when I redeem it.

I'm just lazy enough to not care enough to email support.
Either all codes are redeemed by now or you already have it in your library. Check your GOG maybe, Idk?

Edit: I'm on mobile. Go back to the site, Ars has addressed the issue. Good luck.

obeast

Is the combat better with a controller? I've only played a little bit, but it's pretty weird with keyboard and mouse.

I fell off Witcher 3 shortly after leaving the first area, decided to finish this before I go back. Is it worth it? Is the story any good?

I can't speak to the combat with a controller (I've only ever played with a M+K, and I'm skeptical that the combat could ever be anything but tolerable to a modern player), but the story and especially the quest design are excellent.

That said, Witcher 3 is a better game in nearly every respect, so if you put it down because you didn't care for its flavor I doubt you'll much enjoy a similar meal prepared by the same chefs at a time when they were worse at cooking.

If you do decide to play it, I suggest you try to complete at minimum the first area after the prologue (i.e., get into the city). I found the first zone to be kinda grim and depressing, and it made me bounce off the game the first time I attempted to play it, long ago.

coughlanio

I don't believe it has controller support, unless you mean Steam Controller?

Combat takes a while to get used to, but once you get into the rhythm it's really fun. It's my favorite Witcher game, and in retrospect, is a really distilled Witcher experience compared to the latter games.

The journalistic arrangement here seems highly unethical. Are they going to recuse themselves from covering GOG from now on?

Mexen

The journalistic arrangement here seems highly unethical. Are they going to recuse themselves from covering GOG from now on?
Covering GOG is a given at this point. Let's just hope we don't get a #JuicySlots type of deal. Lol. That's a Jimquisition reference BTW.

Top Bottom