• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Are Menat, Elena, Eliza (SG), and Zafina (TK) the only playable Africans in fighting games? Is Bruce from Africa? Actually surprised we haven't seen an African spear-hunter, pirate, or witch doctor in any game.

You know what game needs African characters bad? Soul fucking Calibur. Imagine the sick ass weapons you could use with African kings and warriors.

Edit: Wait guys what if Menat is another "Zen" red herring? Menat may only be a dev-side codename.
B. Jenet is a pirate, though not in a typical sense. Cervantes is a better bet for that I suppose. Santamu (edit: oops, I see she's already been mentioned, I read good) is an African spear fighter, I wouldn't mind her being playable.

Bruce Irvin is from U.S., I believe.

Anakaris from DS is Egyptian
Zazie from Fighter's History is Kenyan
Ramses from Eternal Champions is Egyptian

And, Zasalamel from Soul Calibur is from...Africa, I think...Egypt maybe? Gotta look that up...
Where ever he's from, they made sure to give him the boot in SC5...along with Talim and the Koreans. Not a shining pillar of diversity, that SC5...

EDIT: Google says Zasalamel may be from the Middle East? (Sumarian)

Oh yeah, Jonathan Blade from Eternal Champions is also African.

EDIT: Oops, apparently he was raised in Africa, but was originally from Syria. Nevermind.

JusDoIt

We can probably do better than spear fighters. Not to say spear fighting ain't a legit part of many African combat traditions, but there's a lot more to be explored, especially in the hand-to-hand realm.

Santamu got retconned to be Ethiopian, right? There's a martial art centered around headbutting called Testa practiced in Ethiopia, and I believe Eritrea too.

There's all sorts of boxing and wrestling styles native to West Africa, which are still widely competed in like folk MMA events to this day.

Not to mention that capoeira is derived from martial arts brought to Brazil by Central Africans.

Not that I expect Capcom to be anything but super stereotypical, though...

Neoxon

Santamu is from Ethiopia, though she's not playable (but you fight against her in story mode).

It's sad how few African characters there are...not just in SF, but in all fighting games. In fact, I think SF is actually leading the pack with Elena, Santamu, and hopefully, Menat.

Did you 2-0 him?
If we do get Santamu as a playable character, I hope her theme is inspired by actual Ethiopian/Eritrean music.

We can probably do better than spear fighters. Not to say spear fighting ain't a legit part of many African combat traditions, but there's a lot more to be explored, especially in the hand-to-hand realm.

Santamu got retconned to be Ethiopian, right? There's a martial art centered around headbutting called Testa practiced in Ethiopia, and I believe Eritrea too.

There's all sorts of boxing and wrestling styles native to West Africa, which are still widely competed in like folk MMA events to this day.

Not to mention that capoeira is derived from martial arts brought to Brazil by Central Africans.

Not that I expect Capcom to be anything but super stereotypical, though...
I can confirm that. When I was 10 or 11 & visited Asmara (Eritrea's capital & my parents' home town), I sparred with another kid who practiced Testa (I practice karate & boxing, but I believe I only knew karate at the time). She absolutely bodied me.

JusDoIt

I can confirm that. When I was 10 or 11 & visited Asmara (Eritrea's capital & my parents' home town), I sparred with another kid who practiced Testa (I practice karate & boxing, but I believe I only knew karate at the time). She absolutely bodied me.

YO!

JusDoIt

Is that you reacting to you being right, me being a martial artist, or me getting bodied?

Definitely all three. I'm hella hype at the thought that there's a young woman out there who is a testa master. I know very little about the art, but I was worried that it might've stopped being passed down to the younger generations.

Shanaynay

Seems like i got the fighting games bite very recently (after just discovering Fightcade and also thanks to my wife.) so i bought SFV in late-July but i've yet to really practice seriously in it but that will change soon, i ordered a fight stick and that's when i'll start putting in some practice time and hopefully find a character i'm comfortable with, that said i bought an Hori fight stick mini and i wonder is it decent for a "starter fightstick"? Does anyone here own one/tried one? It was brand new and was at a really nice price.

I honestly look forward to put some time into this game soon and hopefully it will grab me. I just gotta get over the "noob at fighting games" curves first, it's a scary curve too. ._.

I would argue Finland due to having more metal bands per capita and having even Obama mention it lol but then again I am bit biased when it comes to this subject.

Swedish Metal is definitely the most famous and the most prolific.

Though that's not to say Finland and Norway and a few other European countries don't have a strong metal scene, but Swedish Metal is world famous not just because of it's musical genres and musical content but because of the acts that have been committed by the Swedish band members (suicides, church burnings, rituals, murders).

myco666

Swedish Metal is definitely the most famous and the most prolific.

Though that's not to say Finland and Norway and a few other European countries don't have a strong metal scene, but Swedish Metal is world famous not just because of it's musical genres and musical content but because of the acts that have been committed by the Swedish band members (suicides, church burnings, rituals, murders).

Nah dude thats Norwegian black metal scene.

I remember watching a documentary on Metal where they showed the developer of the doc landing at the Norwegian airport, and when he was showing his passports to the airport security guy, the clerk asked him what business he'd come for. He replied "We're shooting a documentary on a musical genre, Metal". The clerk didn't speak english that well but he replied with "Ohh yes, Black Metal."

Then he interviewed a bunch of Satanists who'd burned down churches and shit and were acting all Metal.

mbpm1

I remember reading that Norway is actually like 90% Christian which might feed into the proliferation of its black metal

I havent experienced it for quite a while but failure to retrieve data 40006 or whatever is back today. CFN feels sluggish with longer post match loading when returning to main menu or lounge. Also had a few random disconnects from the server.

Is this something everyone is experiencing today or am I the lucky one.
When's maintenance?

I havent experienced it for quite a while but failure to retrieve data 40006 or whatever is back today. CFN feels sluggish with longer post match loading when returning to main menu or lounge. Also had a few random disconnects from the server.

Is this something everyone is experiencing today or am I the lucky one.
When's maintenance?
Ive been getting disconnected from the server randomly. It makes me quit and play something else. Kills my desire to play the game.

MechaX

So I finally got experience with the Abigail match up with Cammy.

My first thought: "What in the hell is even going on."

My second thought: "But seriously why is this dude even a thing"

My second thought: "But seriously why is this dude even a thing"
image.php

I blame Ono.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want to downsize the roster into Street Fighter V only so we could see which countries are missing so majority of the roster came from United States and Japan.

Street Fighter V

Africa

Egypt: Menat

Antarctica

None

Asia

China: Chun Li, F.A.N.G

India: Dhalsim

Japan: Akuma, Ibuki, Karin, Rainbow Mika, Ryu, Sakura, Zeku

South Korea: Juri

Thailand: Sagat

United Arab Emirates: Rashid

Australia

None

Europe

Russia: Kolin, Zangief

Spain: Vega

United Kingdom: Birdie, Cammy

North America

Canada: Abigail

United States: Alex, Balrog, Charlie Nash, Guile, Ken

South America

Brazil: Laura

Unknown
Ed
M. Bison
Necalli
Urien

Missing Countries
France: Abel, Remy
Germany: Hugo, Juni, Juli
Italy: Rose
Jamaica: Dee Jay
Kenya: Elena
Mexico: T.Hawk and El Fuerte
Turkey: Hakan

Neoxon

Definitely all three. I'm hella hype at the thought that there's a young woman out there who is a testa master. I know very little about the art, but I was worried that it might've stopped being passed down to the younger generations.
I haven't been able to keep in touch with her family given how hard it is to call someone in Eritrea without paying an arm & a leg, but I'm sure she mastered the martial art by now.

2 weeks in, Ive reached super bronze. Enjoying this, im proud for a casual.

Also I want a western canadian lumberjack who smacks people with beavertails, does things WCB would side eye, etc

Trickster

Is Vega's roll not punishable outside of EX moves? I swear I was consistently punishing the last Vega I fought when I blocked his, roll. This Vega though was always able to block

Losing so many point right now ;_;

Is Vega's roll not punishable outside of EX moves? I swear I was consistently punishing the last Vega I fought when I blocked his, roll. This Vega though was always able to block

Losing so many point right now ;_;
The lightest version is -6 oB, medium is -7 and heavy is -8. They're all punishable.

Only the EX version is -2 oB.

Trickster

The lightest version is -6 oB, medium is -7 and heavy is -8. They're all punishable.

Only the EX version is -2 oB.

What about the range? I was often unable to actually hit him after the roll because he was so far from me

Edit - once you rematch it should turn into a mandatory bo3 with leave penalty. Current system is super frustrating when it essentially ends in a 1-1 draw

What is the current state of penalties for rage quitter?
Just had one in ranked match. He left just when I KO'd him.

Don't you get points if the other player is rage quitting? Got nothing.

This is a great Mika mod. Felicia (Darkstalkers) cosplay.
https://youtu.be/aVQlH2jDa3M

I just randomly got that suggested on Youtube. It really, really suits her. Since there's no way Felicia is actually going to be in SFV (or any other game, ever), they really should add her as a costume. Even most of the moves and the microphone thing works for her! It's not like she's any less modest than Mika either. Maybe next Halloween?

The current state is listed in the OP.

The OP is slightly wrong, I think.
I recently quit on an player of about the same rank, after we spent the first 30 seconds of the match standing at full screen waiting for the connection to clear up, and I got deducted 128 LP or so. So the penalty is more than what you'd be docked for a loss.

Which makes sense. You want to encourage people to finish the fight, even if they are losing / think they are going to lose.

Top Bottom