• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

Lunafreya

Mine's been rather quiet, it tends to spin its fans every once in a while but it goes back to being quiet for good few hours.

I hope Final Fantasy XV won't be too much for it when I play that game non-stop.

charpunk

My launch ps4 sounds like a god damn jet engine when doing anything now.

Thankfully my pro has been a lot quieter. I can barely hear the fans kick in when playing a pro enabled game sitting about 6 feet away.

crankyxt

My PS4 Pro is very quiet.

Someone noted that they can hear the pro when it is downloading in rest mode ( they should exchange it right now). Reading the message it looks like more than 85+ percent of the people have a very quiet pro.

cripterion

I have a launch PS4 that I never hear other than when the disk drive spins. My Xbox One is also silent other than the power brick which likes to chirp from time to time.

I don't know, maybe living in an air conditioned apartment helps due to the ambient noise of the AC overshadowing everything else.

But I will never understand GAF's obsession with how loud/quiet consoles are. You guys don't play with your TV/sound system muted right? I don't understand why you would even listen out for shit like this when the volume of whatever your watching/playing should be the most prominent thing.

My PS4 is in a room, and I'm barely 2m away from it. I don't play with the sound muted but I will have it on low at times cause of the baby sleeping in the other room so it won't be home cinema levels of noise that will cover most people's loud PS4's.
And before people even say it, not I don't use headphones, just in case I need to hear from the wife/kids.

Everyone's setups and play styles varies which is why I'm quite sure all the claims of noise levels also greatly vary .

That said I'm willing to admit their is a variance of the noise levels depending on the PS4. I would know since I kept the OG and now own the pro. But I wouldn't claim either of them is "whisper quiet". The Xbox One is still the quietest console compared to the two, with the fucking PSU making this annoying sound.

p3n

High pitched noise? Maybe coil whine of a faulty PSU (or caused by a bad outlet) or the faster spinning HDD. I was surprised how loud the original HDD was in mine before I replaced it. HDD was definetely louder than the fan in idle mode and when playing unpatched Bloodborne.

Zhutchka

Asking for good graphics and "whisper quiet" consoles in small form factors is an impossibility dudes. TDP is not what it used to be back in the PS2/GC days.

Not an impossibility at all. Pick more power efficient components for the same performance at a lower TDP. Make actual attempts at creative engineering solutions regarding airflow rather than just putting stuff in a box with some slits. And most importantly, cap the fan RPM at a lower rate and use bigger diameter fans, better heatsinks and cooling paste to compensate. This might make the console 10-20% larger and marginally costlier to manufacture, but also less than half as loud if even that. A trade-off that would be worth it to a great number of consumers who are dismayed at the general noise levels of consoles for the past 2 or 3 generations.

It's super possible - just not a priority for Sony, sadly. For me it's a complete deal breaker.

Vuze

I wish there was some unofficial cooling modding kit with a huge heatsink or watercooling AIO for PS4 :v

Recall

I think we need photos of how people are storing their consoles when in use as it's a massive factor.

I used to have mine under a TV stand in one of the wide holes inset into it and it was terrible. Loud console.

I took it out of there and put it on top of the actual tv stand beside my TV and now it's silent.

geordiemp

Played Titanfall 2 at 60 FPS on 4K TV.

I can hear the Spinpoint 2T hard drive I put it turn on just about. Thats it.

Popsickles

You definitely can here my fan ramp up and down but it's not at insane levels like some og ps4 I think some people are more susceptible to the sound, if you have little to no external noise you are gonna hear it more.

slash3584

In my experience it's quieter than a launch model in most of the same situations, even playing TLOU in 4K, but I got to say that the only time I got the jet engine fan on my launch PS4 was with MGSV on a hot summer with the console standing vertically without a stand.

With the pro the only time I've heard the fan is when playing Hitman with unlocked framerate and that's with the console in a vertical position without the stand.

After installing the stand the fan noise was gone.

sirap

Mine is a lot quieter than my launch PS4, and I've already replaced the paste on that. Quite an accomplishment considering the hot and humid climate here.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
You guys should remember that your setup makes an enormous difference in how you assess the noise levels. I don't think that it's 100% caused by a faulty console if the Pro console is significantly louder in 60fps/CPU heavy games like the original model.

Not an impossibility at all. Pick more power efficient components for the same performance at a lower TDP. Make actual attempts at creative engineering solutions regarding airflow rather than just putting stuff in a box with some slits. And most importantly, cap the fan RPM at a lower rate and use bigger diameter fans, better heatsinks and cooling paste to compensate. This might make the console 10-20% larger and marginally costlier to manufacture, but also less than half as loud if even that. A trade-off that would be worth it to a great number of consumers who are dismayed at the general noise levels of consoles for the past 2 or 3 generations.

It's super possible - just not a priority for Sony, sadly. For me it's a complete deal breaker.
Uh, what? The fan is much larger compared to previous models and the heatsink is pretty huge comparatively. Why do you think the system is so much larger than the OG and Slim? It uses more power for the hardware and has equally large cooling components.

Edit: Have a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoQpOmL45_g

bosseye

You guys should remember that your setup makes an enormous difference in how you assess the noise levels. I don't think that it's 100% caused by a faulty console if the Pro console is significantly louder in 60fps/CPU heavy games like the original model.

This is a good point. Not only for how sound reverberates around but for other reasons....Me and two friends were playing online the other day and we started to hear this buzzing noise getting louder and louder until friend 1 asked friend 2 if his girlfriend was hoovering in the same room as him, that's how loud it bwas. Turned out to be his PS4 in the TV unit, door had swung shut in error and it was like an oven in there with the fans going loud enough for us to hear it over the headset. Friend 2 had his headphones on at top volume and couldn't hear it.

So yeah, setup makes a difference, heat, airflow etc.

So in what way is this embarrassing?

I have owned 3 ps4s so far and one was loud as fuck, the other two, one of which was the exact same model were pretty much silent apart from extreme circumstances when installing games. It's probably the same with the pro so while it's under warranty phone Sony and get them to switch it.

Ferr986

Mine does some noise but it's clearly quieter than my OG.

I have both my PS4 and TV a little closer to 2m. The OG made enough noise to overwhelm the TV sound, the PRO doesn't. It still ramps up with patched games but it's not enough to make it sound louder than my usual TV volume.

I mean the OP is embarrassing.

Come on, there's no need for this. He has a legit problem, consoles can be louder or quieter depending on batches, fan installed (there was 2 fan types on OG models, maybe it's the same with the Pro). It already happened with the OG PS4.

Hanmik

... I wrote this in the other "Noise" thread.

Hanmik said:
I got a Pro last night.

I have a launch PS4, and have had it since day one. Played a lot on it. It is quite noisy, I use it in my bedroom at night. The wife has many times commented on the loud noises it makes.. it is not jet engine, but sometimes it is (like the bug that was in MW:R at the beginning).

So I moved the OG ps4 downstairs and the new Pro up into my bedroom. Damn a difference this makes.. after all these years listening to the OG PS4, it is so nice to have a console that doesn't sound like it is having sex with a smurf. The Pro is not "silent".. not at all.. it still makes "normal" computer/console noises .. the bluray drive is REALLY noisy though. I installed Tomb Raider from a disc, and damn the drive is bad. Even my old PS4 did not make these kind of noises. But at least the discs are only for installing, and checking 10seconds when I launch a game, so the noisy drive is not so bad for me, I just will not play while the game installs from the disc.

The console is MUCH better when we are talking noise levels, the OG PS4 was a lot more noisy. I can even hear the HDD working on my Pro.

I was playing Rise of The Tomb Raider for 2 hours, and I never heard the fans rev up or anything like that. I could even just press the PS button and got to the internet app, to read about some stuff (with the game still running) without the Pro making any stupid noises ... My OG PS4 will make the fan spin fast when I try to do that. And when I quit the game and went to update my trophies (while I was downloading a lot of games), I could only hear the HDD working.. and the Pro did not feel hot after I used it..

I know this is just day one.. but damn, this is so nice for me. After reading about people here, having really noisy Pro machines I was scared for my ears. But luckily my Pro is A LOT less noisy than my OG PS4, the only thing that is noisy is the Bluray drive, it is actually more noisy than the OG PS4 drive.

this was day 1 and 2.. playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and downloading stuff..

Lately I have been playing Modern Warfare Remastered on it. And stuff has changed.

The console is pretty quit before I start the game. And it stays quit until I start a Multiplayer game. The thing is .. it isn't a very loud sound, it is just a fucking annoying sound.

Once I start a mp game in MW:R the PS4 Pro makes some strange sounds. Like an electric coil going up and down in noise all the time, it almost sounds like it changes sound together with the movement on screen.
It is a really annoying sound, not like a fan changing speed, but like some electric static noise changing tone all the time, it is hard to describe, but damn it is annoying.

The worst part is, that my PS4 Pro is in my bedroom, I game on a 42" 1080p LG tv with my PS4 is on a desk right next to the TV, while I lay in my bed about 3 meters away, and my wife is sleeping next to me.The bedroom is cool and we have no heat turned on in the room. I play with headphones, so it doesn't bother me, but it bothers my wife, she can hear it.

It is really annoying.. I will try to see if I can make a video of it tonight..

and I will make a lot more tests to find out what games, and what circumstances makes the Pro make these annoying noises.

Occam

How is him having real issues embarrassing? The fuck?

I'd say the title is pretty embarrassing.
"Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :("

By all accounts, the overwhelming majority of all PS4 Pros are not loud, or do you think everyone else is lying?

Kareha

I'd say the title is pretty embarrassing.
"Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :("

By all accounts, the overwhelming majority of all PS4 Pros are not loud, or do you think everyone else is lying?

Maybe, just maybe, people have differences in how they perceive sounds?

Yoday

I always wonder with the people who complain about their PS4 or PC being too loud. How close is your freaking PC/Console to your damn head? I feel like if you're like 6+ feet away from the console, or you have your PC sitting under your desk, or next to your TV like a console you can barely hear them typically. Especially when you're watching or playing something.

I really don't notice my PS4 Pro or PC.
When my wife played Dragon Age I could clearly hear my PS4 through headphones while playing a game on my PC 20+ft from the console. While playing a game on the PS4 I had to have my home theater turned up moderately high in order for the sound of the system to not drown out dialog. I went through multiple systems with the same result.

Alternatively my friend has a near silent PS4. There is a very clear divide between loud PS4s and quiet ones.

jett

D-Member
HIS PS4 is loud. That's not close to his hyperbole.

His isn't the only report I've read of someone getting a loud Pro.

Makes me more weary about getting one of these things, and having owned two previous Sony Jet Engines (PS3 Phat and to a lesser extent a Slim) doesn't help.

Trace

Banned
Send it back OP, yours is busted. The only time I've ever heard my PS4 Pro over my TV is when it was installing a game from a disc.

It'd probably have been more prudent to ask if other people's PS4pros were as loud, OP.

I got a family and I can't be rocking the house with my small window of gametime at night.

Also have some common sense. If it is really this loud then obviously something is wrong and you need to take it back.

Zhutchka

Uh, what? The fan is much larger compared to previous models and the heatsink is pretty huge comparatively. Why do you think the system is so much larger than the OG and Slim? It uses more power for the hardware and has equally large cooling components.

Edit: Have a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoQpOmL45_g

That heatsink doesn't exactly inspire confidence with anyone who's dealt with PC components of similar TDP.

They will obviously prioritize cooling in some manner after the LEDs of Doom fiasco of the previous generation. The point is, if noise would also be a priority, they would do early tests or projections, realize that it will get loud at max rpm, and then design their way around it or replace components accordingly. Instead of simply accepting it and putting the burden on the consumers to find out for themselves if it's acceptable to them or not.

So basically future technology not available yet? I don't think AMD has anything more power efficient than Polaris.

Then contract manufacturers who make more power efficient components, or make your own designs/modfications? Easier (and cheaper) said than done obviously, but I don't think it's that farfetched to hope for the latest consoles to be more power efficient than stuff you can go pick up off the shelves in a local store.

Or if you hadn't ignored the rest of my post, another option is to stick with the best contracting deal and actually put some effort into designing and engineering the airflow and cooling components of the console. It's awfully unambitious as it is. I think it comes down to being able to show how small your console is in PR materials, but not how quiet it is.

People are kidding themselves if they consider these consoles as "engineering marvels". It's a bunch of 3rd party components put together in the most obvious manner inside a plastic box. I wish they would strive for better.

Makes me wonder if MS will be able to keep the Scorpio as quiet as the vanilla One. Actually, I don't even know about the S now that I think about it.

Top Bottom