• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rich!

I have DS2 on steam. Do I buy the upgrade from Steam? And how much does it cost in the UK? I only have the Sunken King DLC.

With all the patches and additional stuff that Scholar of the First Sin has undergone since vanilla DSII, are the crazy hitboxes still an issue?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hope new item placement is more along the lines of "let's place this good mid-late game item behind this extremely powerful enemy and see who gets it" and not "haha the dull ember is on one of the burning rocks in the magma now".
It seems to be the former, for example you'll need a fragrant branch of yore to access the coffin.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Didn't play much of the original release, are enemy location remixed because they were bad in the original or just to give people who've already beaten it a reason to buy it again?

Mostly the latter tbh, but I think it's a bit of both.

They'd done quite a bit of readjustments even in one of the starting areas
Forest of the Fallen Giants
according to the stream I watched yesterday and it's likely going to be even more different once you get started on NG+.

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure
the dragon
is on the side over by the Blue Sentinels... Not the Dragon Rider...

Check out the link below around the 1:32-1:36 mark. I'll try running past it if I can't kill it with my sucky gear.

This is the best I could find. I assume the PS4 version is fairly close to the new PC one.

Golden OT title.

When I eventually get around to finishing DeS and DS I'll grab this version of 2, if I put them off any longer I'll be drowning in Souls and never get through them.

Persona7

Banned
gotta save up red orbs for iron keep bridge whip invasions

I had strats to get orbs as quick as possible from new game but I can't remember exactly what I did lol

Vire

Jobbs

Banned
Bloodborne made me want to get back into this. I hope the DLC is good!

Yeah, same here, I never played the DLCs. I think it's time.

Bloodborne was good, but many things I found lacking and overly streamlined, and it sorta put me in the mood to play real Souls games.

A remaster with a technical upgrade to1080p and 60 fps. It also has new enemy and item placement, new enemy behavior, other new content, plus all of the DLC.
NICE.

BB will hold me for a while, but I'm definitely interested in picking this up down the line. Thanks :)

Mendrox

Coming from Bloodborne... this game suddenly seems very ugly. I just don't know how my eyes trick me, but I don't even want to play it again... even though I adored DS2 last year. D: I haven't even played the DLC because I knew that something like that would come...

GulAtiCa

Looking forward to starting over on PS4 with 60 FPS! Though, not sure if I'll get it right away with me still playing Bloodborne. Nah, I'll get it and play both at same time!

Vire

Coming from Bloodborne... this game suddenly seems very ugly. I just don't know how my eyes trick me, but I don't even want to play it again... even though I adored DS2 last year. D: I haven't even played the DLC because I knew that something like that would come...

Suddenly? DS2 has always been ugly.

Kazuhira

Oh fuck me, i was thinking something similar too..
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten.

HeelPower

This is why it pains me that they didn't do Dark Souls 1 instead. All of the new players are gonna play Souls 2 and be like "this is what all the hype was about?..."

Well they gotta remaster Demon's Souls too...

Maybe next year ? I hope we get Dark1 and Des on PS4/X1 soon.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
With all the patches and additional stuff that Scholar of the First Sin has undergone since vanilla DSII, are the crazy hitboxes still an issue?

This is a great question. It was ridiculously bad compared to DS1.

DS2:

GrossGaseousAntarcticgiantpetrel.gif

tumblr_n5ccnzhvTv1ro156wo2_r1_400.gif

DS1:

ixym2w9gvdxiw.gif

man I loved DS1 and I loved Bloodborne (already went through it once)
never played DS2
I hope the slow combat wont be frustrating, coming from BB

You could just not use a shield and no armor(or just light stuff). I mean... other than that and the dodge mechanic they're pretty similar. This is also a very valid way to play the souls games and makes a lot of encounters strangely easier since you can move so fast.

I might pick this up despite having it on PS3 and PC already lol. Rebalancing, changes, and all the dlc I didn't play is very tempting. And 1080p60 to boot? Wallet is gonna be hurting this month.

Vire

Well they gotta remaster Demon's Souls too...

Maybe next year ? I hope we get Dark1 and Des on PS4/X1 soon.

Oh my god, a remaster for Demon Souls would be phenomenal. I'm kinda tired of remasters, but I would be there day zero for that.

That and FFXII...

HeelPower

You will never get Demons Souls on the XBone. It was Sony co developed and funded.

Yeah.

I meant DeS on PS4 and Dark1 on PS4/X1.

the fact Demon's Souls isn't on PSNow gives me hope this is in the works

Oh my god, a remaster for Demon Souls would be phenomenal. I'm kinda tired of remasters, but I would be there day zero for that.

That and FFXII...

With BB's success,one would hope to get DeS remastered soon.

That game is insane.

And Dark1 ofcourse.

Adaren

Great subtitle!

Historical context: DS2 came out around the same time as Lightning Returns, and the removal of the pre-release lighting system in DS2 was a big scandal.

I really, really wish that they could have put back in the original lighting system. I won't pick this up for the consoles, but I may play through the PC release to see the new lore and the gameplay/world tweaks that they've done.

Neoweee

DS2:

DS1:

ixym2w9gvdxiw.gif

Oh come on. Could you possibly cherry pick more?

Shitty grab animations have always been an issue for the series, and there are hundreds and hundreds of times where you or the enemy freely hit through walls.

Vitor711

DS2:

Never had anything like that happen to me in DkS2. Not even once.

I really think people exaggerate.

And as for the whole 'lock-on' and tracking that the enemies do. GOOD. If not, you'd just walk around and backstab half of them as you did in DkS1. It fixed an issue that needed to be fixed.

Jobbs

Banned

I don't think it's that ugly, really, and it has the benefit of running at 60 frames. Bloodborne has a pretty bad framerate.

ironcreed

Banned

Shitty grab animations have always been an issue for the series, and there are hundreds and hundreds of times where you or the enemy freely hit through walls.

Yeah, I never found it to be an issue any different than before. I love the hell out of Dark Souls II just as much as Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls.

Adaren

And as for the whole 'lock-on' and tracking that the enemies do. GOOD. If not, you'd just walk around and backstab half of them as you did in DkS1. It fixed an issue that needed to be fixed.

I think Bloodborne showed how it *should* have been fixed. Staying behind enemies isn't easy in that game, but it's not because the monsters are in swivel chairs.

If I only wanted to get one Dark Souls game should I get Dark Souls on PS3 or II on PS4?

Depends on how much you care about PvP and the overall length of the experience.

Dark Souls 1 is the better game IMO. But DaS2 is significantly longer if you include the DLC and the PvP is better and more active since its newer.

Vire

I don't think it's that ugly, really, and it has the benefit of running at 60 frames. Bloodborne has a pretty bad framerate.

Bloodborne's framerate is excellent compared to the way Demon Souls/Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 originally released.

Bl@de

Yeah, I never found it to be an issue any different than before. I love the hell out of Dark Souls II just as much as Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls.

Same here. People go crazy when it comes to DS2. I love the game and never had issues

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Never had anything like that happen to me in DkS2. Not even once.

I really think people exaggerate.

The mimic one is in excusable, but otherwise yes, it's mostly exaggeration.

I wish I had that gif on hand of someone using a gesture to duck under Smelter Demon's attacks.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Exact same gifs posted every fucking time. Usually accompanied by B-Team drivel. I'm now 99% certain people wouldn't be this crazy if Miyazaki was listed as producer

Kazuhira

I wish they added an option to increase/decrease the fov in this game,i don´t like how close is the camera to your character compared to the other souls games and bloodborne.

Top Bottom