• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

i know about the 1 hit kills if you fucked up someones cockpit in MW4. the only problem is the armor that covers the cockpit shouldn't be all lit up with happy lights. the hud should be just that a heads up displayed on the visor.

Orayn

i know about the 1 hit kills if you fucked up someones cockpit in MW4. the only problem is the armor that covers the cockpit shouldn't be all lit up with happy lights. the hud should be just that a heads up displayed on the visor.

It's a mix. Most of the important parts of the HUD are projected on your pilot's helmet, but there will be additional information out a few redundant displays in your cockpit depending on the 'Mech.

Lime

Damn, I really hate that the only new footage we have includes the voice-over of an IGN journalist, who sounds like some disinterested and uninformed frat boy.

But looking through the footage, I noticed the indicator of heat and damage being kind of excessive. I'm all for feedback, but when there's big massive text displaying warnings, it kind of puts me out of the experience. I really liked MW2's and MW3's method of informing the player about overheat or critical damage, e.g. the HUD becomes distorted and grainy.

Here's what I mean in MW:O:

display2g9j7f.png

display19wk5a.png

I know it's still a beta, but I kind of want a more immersive way of telling the player the status of the mech's systems.

Nymerio

Sounds like you want the Mechwarrior equivalent of ketchup on the camera?

I actually like the warnings. When you see them you know shit's about to hit the fan.

Orayn

I actually like the warnings. When you see them you know shit's about to hit the fan.

Not exactly, since that sort of effect is what you'd expect when your 'Mech is taking damage.

I'd be fine with them keeping the warnings and applying a little static/distortion to the rest of the HUD - It's probably just text right now because that's the easiest thing to implement.

Lime

Lol, how did you infer that from my post? I assume you haven't played either MW2 or MW3 if you simply think I'm talking about the horrendous "ketchup" damage display seen in many first person shooters (which have nothing to do with the simulation genre, so I don't know why you're bringing that up).

I'm referring to these particular uses of "immersive" warning feedback:

MW3's HUD heat pixelation (this is the most excessive example I could find):
special_1999_5_mechwa5nyp3.jpg

MW2's HUD damage distortion (lower left, lower right, radar and heat displays were usually the ones affected):
mercsdisplayc8ugl.png

Such type of feedback are preferable to clear-cut text telling you what's what, imo. That's what I'm talking about.

Not exactly, since that sort of effect is what you'd expect when your 'Mech is taking damage.

I'd be fine with them keeping the warnings and applying a little static/distortion to the rest of the HUD - It's probably just text right now because that's the easiest thing to implement.

I agree. It is probably the easiest thing to implement right now, but I just hope that Piranha don't settle for the "easier" solution when the game finally releases.

Nymerio

Lol, how did you infer that from my post? I assume you haven't played either MW2 or MW3 if you simply think I'm talking about the horrendous "ketchup" damage display seen in many first person shooters (which have nothing to do with the simulation genre, so I don't know why you're bringing that up).

I'm referring to these particular uses of "immersive" warning feedback:

MW3's HUD heat pixelation (this is the most excessive example I could find):
special_1999_5_mechwa5nyp3.jpg

MW2's HUD damage distortion (lower left, lower right, radar and heat displays were usually the ones affected):
mercsdisplayc8ugl.png

Such type of feedback are preferable to clear-cut text telling you what's what, imo. That's what I'm talking about.

I agree. It is probably the easiest thing to implement right now, but I just hope that Piranha don't settle for the "easier" solution when the game finally releases.

I did play MW2 but the only thing I remember is the ketchup effect. I actually like the stuff you posted where the HUD is filled with static. What I don't like is when the game fucks with your vision, like the ketchup stuff.

Unicorn

I'm so fucking hype. I'm all for F2P now thanks to LoL, Tribes: Ascend, and Super Monday Night Combat.

Mechwarrior 2 consumed me in my youth, so I'm sooooo looking forward to a new phase of it.

Stick recommendations? Something around $50 would be ideal.

Lime

I'm so fucking hype. I'm all for F2P now thanks to LoL, Tribes: Ascend, and Super Monday Night Combat.

Mechwarrior 2 consumed me in my youth, so I'm sooooo looking forward to a new phase of it.

Stick recommendations? Something around $50 would be ideal.

I'd always suggest the Microsoft Sidewinder 2. It goes on Ebay for around 20 to 30 dollars and I would argue that contemporary single sticks aren't as precise or durable as the Sidewinder 2.

If you're into HOTAS, then Saitek X-52 Pro is probably the best ones in terms of price.

"I'd always suggest the Microsoft Sidewinder 2. It goes on Ebay for around 20 to 30 dollars and I would argue that contemporary single sticks aren't as precise or durable as the Sidewinder 2.

If you're into HOTAS, then Saitek X-52 Pro is probably the best ones in terms of price."

To my knowledge, the consensus is that the CH Products stuff always has and continues to be the most solid, reliable, precise sticks in the 150$ or less range.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That footage looked pretty awesome. Though that "ping" sound is going to get aggravating.

New information about beta access and the ability to purchase starting packages was released today. Apparently some people will start to get access to the closed beta this week.

Start Ruling the InnerSphere This July

Piranha Games Inc. and Infinite Game Publishing Inc. Launch MechWarrior® Online™: OPERATION INCEPTION in North America

- MechWarrior Online Heads into Closed Beta Starting This Week; Details Unleashed for Gaining Early Access to the Inner Sphere -

MONTREAL - May 22, 2012 - Calling all MechWarrior® fans! An exclusive MechWarrior Online™ Founder’s Program goes on sale June 19th. It will offer die-hard fans of this beloved franchise valuable benefits including: in-game currency, a custom BattleMech™ ("ELITE" level only), up to a two-month free premium account, a permanent "Founder’s Tag" and more. Dubbed "OPERATION INCEPTION," the Founder’s program gives fans a limited one-time chance to secure exclusive MechWarrior Online game content via two ranks:

$60 ELITE Founder's Package Includes:
• Exclusive custom "Founder's BattleMech." This 'Mech includes a lifetime, per-match C-Bill booster.
• $80 value of in-game currency* for in-game item purchases.
• Two-month premium account to MechWarrior Online at launch: Earn XP & C-Bills faster.
• Founder's Tag - sets your status apart from the crowd & get noticed in-game and on the forums.
• Early access to the game along with Founder's assets availability starts July 17th.

$30 VETERAN Founder's Package Includes:
• $40 value of in-game currency* for in-game item purchases.
• One-month premium account to MechWarrior Online at launch: Earn XP & C-Bills faster.
• Founder's Tag - sets your status apart from the crowd & get noticed in-game and on the forums.
• Early access to the game along with Founder's assets availability starts July 17th.

OPERATION INCEPTION assets and early game access will be available for ELITE or VETERAN Founder's Package players starting July 17th.

Reserve your pilot name at http://www.mwomercs.com.

*For in-game currency, Founders’ accounts will be credited beginning July 17th with a non-refundable amount of in-game currency equivalent to the retail cost set out in each package above ($40 value for VETERAN Founders, $80 value for ELITE Founders), and those credits may be used for in-game purchases of virtual items only. The closed beta and OPERATION INCEPTION assets will enjoy support only in North America.

###

http://mwomercs.com/news/2012/05/259-operation-inception

If no one minds, I'm gonna start that new thread.

They're in, and they fit in energy weapon hardpoints. PPCs were specifically mentioned as being used in the K2 variant of the Catapult, where they replace the missiles.

Yeah you can start it, I'm still a bit confused about some of the beta details.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yes The Cataphract!!! EXCELLENT REVEAL!!!

Woorloog

Banned
What colors are those? St. Ives?

Excellent looking, was actually hoping this would be in the game.

If i'll pilot a heavy, i think it will be this one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So who else is going to rock the old Mech 2/Mercs soundtracks when playing this?

Nice thing about those games is that they used Redbook audio so if you still have the CD's you can just rip them to your PC easy peasy.

They don't make game music like this anymore.

Lime

So who else is going to rock the old Mech 2/Mercs soundtracks when playing this?

Nice thing about those games is that they used Redbook audio so if you still have the CD's you can just rip them to your PC easy peasy.

They don't make game music like this anymore.

I still listen to this marvellous music several times a year. To me, Jeehun Hwang's work on MW2, GBL and Mercs has never been beaten, even compared to many other game soundtrack.

I actually wonder how they're going to do the music this time around. It'll probably be more like MW4: Mercenaries, with some generic guitars and electronic stuff. It is a multiplayer game, after all, and thus it might not be Piranha's priority.

Orayn

Bleh, so I'll only be playing on evening maps? That's a terrible idea, especially since the game doesn't even take place on earth.

They said they were toying with the option of syncing up maps, not that it would be mandatory or even implemented for sure.

Lime

Since it's not common to talk about Mechwarrior/-Commander on GAF, I wouldn't mind to see how those who have played the games would rank them. Although it might be reduced to simple list-wars, I'm just curious.

Mine would probably be:

1. Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat
  2. Mech Commander
  3. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
  4. Mechwarrior 3
  5. Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries
  6. Mechwarrior 4
  7. Mech Warrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy
  8. Mechwarrior 3: Pirate's Moon
  9. Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight
  10. Mech Commander 2
I simply adore what MW2 achieved in 1995 with its stunning soundtrack, great simulation rules/abilities, customization, immersion, options, etc. Although it could be argued that Mercs improved upon this formula, there was just something about the intros, the lore, and the storyline that made MW2 the pinnacle of my gaming experience with the Battletech IP. The game shaped my taste as a gamer (I'm a sucker for immersion) and it still remains in my top 5 of all-time.

Additionally, Mech Commander in 1998 provided another great approach to the 'real-time tactics' genre coupled with RPG elements (pilot skills and health), while maintaining the core principles of the Battletech universe (customization, pilots, using the terrain, etc.). The stunning sprite art still impresses me a lot.

Never got around to play Crescent Hawk or the first Mechwarrior game.

Woorloog

Banned
Since it's not common to talk about Mechwarrior/-Commander on GAF, I wouldn't mind to see how those who have played the games would rank them. Although it might be reduced to simple list-wars, I'm just curious.

Having played on MW4, BK and Mercs, and very little MC1 (and MW3 demo), there ain't much to rank.
Damn mouse being "broken" on my system in MW4, can't either bind keys on mouse 1,2,3 or they don't simply do anything... It worked fine for a time.

What do I do with this??

Open it in chrome and write "Init" to get started. Then you can navigate the file structure with unix commands, write help to see which ones that work.

Using the open command on any file just gives a blank page though, I don't think anyone has found anything useful there yet.

So is that thing actually being produced? I see they call it a "concept."

Any ideas on how much it would retail for if produced? I gotta think $250+, right?

So is that thing actually being produced? I see they call it a "concept."

Any ideas on how much it would retail for if produced? I gotta think $250+, right?

Haha I don't know, with that inbuilt screen I guess it could get quite pricey. Perhaps they are going to require a certain number of pre-orders before going ahead with production, it seems pretty crazy to make a peripheral like this for a free-to-play game.

Top Bottom