• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

tuxfool

Banned
A Tip:

If you're having trouble activating the ship selection console, fly over to another hub. Port Olisar has 4 hubs A,B,C and D.

Machina

Banned
I'm updating now. This is starting to look incredible now. I'm 29 gigs away from being back in the verse :( I had to limit my download speed because the launcher really hogs bandwidth

Agremont

The flight model changes make a great deal of difference as well. Constellation feels very heavy to fly.

I saw a video of to Connies fighting from the outside and one of the was buzzing around the other like a damn mosquito. Looked rather silly and ugly.

Thrusters still seem way to damn strong. Maybe to compensate for the poor design (when talking about the flightmodel) of the ships?

Rephin

Welcome new 2.0'ers! Has Derek Smart flipped the hell out yet? lol

Added a fleet chart for our org to the OP. Here's the generator I used: https://raylehnhoff.github.io/SCFSD/
The crazy part is that's less than half the total ship count. I can regenerate that later if more people fill in their details on the roster.

That chart is pretty awesome! I'm gonna have fun lending out all of those big ships in my fleet, lol.
In 2020. >.>

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | 'Verse.exe has stopped working

But seriously the bit that I've played is really great, going out of the Crusader station and seeing actual open space is incredible.

golem

Couple of quick shots

23692601135_a2fe024c7f_h.jpg

23584147742_752ee2f77b_h.jpg

23324741819_e30b080bc7_h.jpg

23064525894_783dfc0efa_h.jpg

23324706039_ac94ea7fe5_h.jpg

Rephin

How da fuck do you land with a controller.!?!?!?!?!?

If you're using the sleek and sexy Xbox One Elite controller like I do...

If you are attempting to land on an unmanned station, get close to the landing area, stop your engines, hold LT and...
-use the Right Stick to strafe and move up and down
-use the Left Stick to roll
-pressing LB and RB will move you back and forward, respectively, and will stop the ship if you stop pressing the button

It also helps to get in a 3rd person view when trying to land well. Hold LT and press in the Right Stick to change views in a ship.

I'll update this with station landing controls later. I usually use unmanned landing controls for the most part. You could also play the flight tutorial, because the guy gives you controller instructions if the game detects you're using a controller, IIRC.

Edit: Landing on a Manned Station (for repairs, etc.)

Fly close to the landing pad you want to land on and then...
-Press LT + D-pad Right to enter Landing Mode.
-Point your ship towards the landing pad you want and press Y to request a landing there.
-Once they confirm your intent to land and clear you, press D-pad Right to autopilot on to the pad or land it manually yourself. You have to be very close to the pad for autopilot to take over.

Shy

If you're using the sleek and sexy Xbox One Elite controller like I do...
I am. :)
If you are attempting to land on an unmanned station, get close to the landing area, stop your engines, hold LT and...
-use the Right Stick to strafe and move up and down
-use the Left Stick to roll
-pressing LB and RB will move you back and forward, respectively, and will stop the ship if you stop pressing the button

It also helps to get in a 3rd person view when trying to land well. Hold LT and press in the Right Stick to change views in a ship.
I got that bit down.
I'll update this with station landing controls later. I usually use unmanned landing controls for the most part.
This is the bit i'm having trouble with.

Rephin

I am. :)

I got that bit down.

This is the bit i'm having trouble with.

It's related to changing your ship to non combat mode, moving near the platform you want to land on, and pressing Y to request a landing there. Then you can engage autopilot.

I forgot most of those controls, lol. I need to tutorial again, even though I did all of that stuff when I was in the PTU Alpha 2.0 to repair my ship.

Shy

It's related to changing your ship to non combat mode, moving near the platform you want to land on, and pressing Y to request a landing there. Then you can engage autopilot.

I forgot most of those controls, lol. I need to tutorial again, even though I did all of that stuff when I was in the PTU Alpha 2.0 to repair my ship.
Ahhh, thanks for trying to help.

I saw a video of to Connies fighting from the outside and one of the was buzzing around the other like a damn mosquito. Looked rather silly and ugly.

Thrusters still seem way to damn strong. Maybe to compensate for the poor design (when talking about the flightmodel) of the ships?

The design of their flight model is far from poor. It's actually really impressive at how physically accurate they have the system set up, and what it's possible of doing in terms of controlling thrusters to maintain a direction vector when thrusters get blown off, change of mass/CoG when you have cargo or lose parts of the ship, etc. There's a couple of design posts and interviews with the physics programmer who created the flight model which is worth a read/watch if you want to see the details.

However, I do agree that it's not perfect in terms of the values they have set up for the ships, and particular rate of rotation feels too high especially on the Connie. Compared to what they had previously though in 1.3, it's a big step forward and feels much, much better. Considering they've done a lot of tweaking to the ships in the past few weeks, including a pretty big change to Connie handling in the past week, they have quite a good toolbox to work from. This is also the first release where they have the "jerk" (rate of change of acceleration) implemented, so I'd expect that to continue to get modified.

One expectation of combat from me which is not playing out how I'd like is the fact that rarely you feel you can ever get in direct pursuit of someone. What tends to happen more often than not is a jousting battle. I think that's something which will be improved over time. After all, when Arena Commander first came out, the combat ended up being mostly rotating turrets in space, and they've made changes and it's shifted to jousting battles a lot of the time. With more flight model changes for the ships, I think this will continue to change how combat will feel. SC is looking to be somewhat unique in its combat though, as it's going for a somewhat more realistic feel for what space combat would be like, and not WW2 planes in space (which is what E:D tends to feel like, which is cool but not very sim-like).

CMDBob

Surprised they released 2.0 this early, but ya gotta love an early Christmas present. Shame that the higher settings murder my 970, but even on lowest, with a tonne of other bits turned off (Chromatic Aberration can get the hell out) it still looks really bloody good.

Also, thought I'd get my arse signed up to the NeoGAF org. Might as well!

Agremont

I realize that I wrote it unclearly. I meant the ships poor design as they make no sense for the flightmodel chosen, and that they tried to conceal it by over powering the thrusters.

I could have saved you a lot of typing I were clearer. Sorry.

But yeah I suppose if they keep tweaking it might end up satisfactory one day.

Izayoi

Banned
I added myself to the spreadsheet. Constellation Andromeda.

Damn you dudes with the bigger ships... Alas, I didn't have the money at the time, and now I will never be able to get them with lifetime insurance. ;_;

Rephin

I added myself to the spreadsheet. Constellation Andromeda.

Damn you dudes with the bigger ships... Alas, I didn't have the money at the time, and now I will never be able to get them with lifetime insurance. ;_;

There's always a chance to get LTI. I started earlier this year with a Hornet Tracker with 6 month insurance, and now all my ships have LTI. You just have to wait for a chance.

Add this to USER.cfg if you want your eyes to melt
Code:
e_ShadowsResScale = 40
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes = 8192
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 8192

Izayoi

Banned
There's always a chance to get LTI. I started earlier this year with a Hornet Tracker with 6 month insurance, and now all my ships have LTI. You just have to wait for a chance.
How? I must have missed this. I would jump at the opportunity.

deleted

Which command in which cfg turns motion blur off? I really don't like the way it's implemented :p

Still about an hour to download this thing. Pretty excited to see how and if it runs on my rig atm..

Rephin

How? I must have missed this. I would jump at the opportunity.

Just last month they were selling concept ships during the Anniversary Sale. With the new upgrade program, you can melt your existing ship, buy a concept ship that has LTI, then upgrade to the ship you want. The new ship will have the LTI from the old ship, and you didn't spend any more than your original purchase price, ie it's a free LTI upgrade. Some of us bought a few P-72 Archimedes LTI ships just to upgrade anything else we get in the future to LTI.

Of course if the ship you want is the ONLY ship you have (as in, it's part of a package), then you either have to keep what you have or buy a cheap starter package and then buy LTI into what you want.

deleted

So far, so good :)

Ran pretty stable for me - no crashes so far. Some stutter, but that was to be expected.
Did the whole thing, from waking up, requesting ship, jumping to a satellite, leaving the ship to reactivate it, re-entering the ship, flying to another space station, landing, requesting another ship, jumping to yet another point, wondering why my other ship is still on my radar, trying to jump back - getting into the gravitational field of the planet... Panicked, Jumped to another station, landed, tried leaving the ship and ended up getting stuck, because I left my seat, but getting out of the ship triggered the entering animation and got transported in front of my seat again.

But all in all - pretty good for a second first impression. Really impressive what they can achieve with the architecture and the music alone.

naeS

I sent a join request to the GAF organization and was told to post in here. Can't wait to try this today.

QaaQer

You'll have to note the Alpha in the title. It really is alpha.

Now, all those things you have listed are definitely planned, but currently what is there is just an area around a planetary system with a few missions scattered around.

Yup. You can walk around, get out board/steal other people's ships. Get out into space stations etc.

Is it going to all about conflict and competition? Any No Man's Sky or Minecraft or Kerbal stuff (exploration, building, cooperation)?

I got "hitch" a ride on some dude's Connie and tried to be a gunner. How do you fire? Maybe it was bugged but the radar was only showing contacts and the guns did not fire. Secondly how do you launch the snub? I got in it, the systems sounded like starting up but the panels were still dead.

Also how do you change a ship's load out? I want to swap out the Avenger's disrupters for a leathal weapon.

tuxfool

Banned
Is it going to all about conflict and competition? Any No Man's Sky or Minecraft or Kerbal stuff (exploration, building, cooperation)?

No, this isn't going any building of stuff (not that I know of), but there will be exploration, along with trading, mining, repairing (space mechanic), scientific research. Those are off the top of my head.

You are expecting more inertial motion I imagine. Coupled ode has IFCS auto fire thrusters so you can turn more on a dime. Decoupled should have the movement you expect from space ships you see elsewhere.
The flight model is rather accurate actually.

Attem

Managed to get a quick 40min play session before i had to go out.

Love flying my 350r seems like im missing my rear thrusters though... seems to be just visually as its still very quick !

Managed to get on a Connie and my god does that ship look sexy in the inside quite temping to get one...

Just applied to the Gaf org if someone could accept me in!

All that brute forced tech.
/s, looks absolutely phenomenal.

Look at those disgusting, brute forced graphics.
scnr

hehe

Is it a coincidence that Brute Force was made by Digital Anvil? I THINK NOT.
Managed to get a quick 40min play session before i had to go out.

Love flying my 350r seems like im missing my rear thrusters though... seems to be just visually as its still very quick !

Yeah, just a visual bug atm (m50 suffers from this too). Before 2.0.0 live it was actually missing its landing gear as well.

Just caved in and bought myself a second gigabyte gtx 980 ti g1 for sli goodness. My pc is ready. My body is ready but I don't know if I can handle the verse my heart may just explode. :D

14gb to go, does anyone know if the 300 series ships still slowly spin on the landing pad? Or if falling through your ship if its damaged is still happening?

Top Bottom