• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pyre - Review Thread

Eurogamer - Essential:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-24-pyre-review
There's a lot to love here. Everywhere you turn, there's something to appreciate. The music, which I've yet to mention, is stunning, and easily the best soundtrack to come out of the Supergiant Games' studios. I don't have a vocabulary to describe the audio, but I will admit to leaving the game to idle for no other reason than to write by the tune I've selected.
And there are always little things to interact with, little clever things that Supergiant Games has done with the way that information is presented, little choices in their approach to design that impress. Even the skill trees and the way you can assist your coterie of misfits, the inscrutable language used by the general populace. It is a good game.

Gamespot - 9:
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/pyre-review/1900-6416717/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b
And thus it's all too easy to fall in love with Pyre. It's immediately attractive. Its songs dance in your head long after they debut. And before you know it, you find yourself driven to get better at rites and perform at the top of your game. Likewise, you can't help but reflect on your partners in the Downside--those you trained, as well as those you neglected. Supergiant Games has created something special that lives on in your heart. And against great odds, it's invented a sport that could have stood on its own without the story it's attached to--but it's so much better because it is.

TheSixthAxis - 9/10:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/07/24/pyre-review/
Supergiant Games continue to burn brightly as an independent studio, with Pyre being their latest imaginative and fantastical adventure. It casts aside many of the trappings of an action RPG from Bastion and Transistor in favour of something more akin to a real time tactical game, wrapping its fast paced and often fraught battles up in a world and cast of characters that gradually draw you into its cyclical tale.

PlayStation Lifestyle - 9:
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/07/24/pyre-review-three-shall-one-ps4/
It feels disingenuous to even try and write words about Pyre, another Supergiant masterpiece. I don’t feel that my prose can even begin to match the resplendent beauty that permeates this journey through the Downside. If only that I could stand there in front of the Scribesgate once more listening to the Lone Minstrel and the Gate Guardian sing the hymn as the Rites commence once more. For as amazing Pyre was, I’ll just have to find myself exiled once more to find freedom in the flame.

DigitalChumps - 9:
http://digitalchumps.com/35549-2/
Pyre understands the primal thrill behind executing a dangerous slam dunk and the dueling probabilities of luck and dexterity necessary to make it happen. With Pyre, Supergiant Games’ passion for systems-driven trials of skill and fondness for vibrant, wistful fantasy converge in the Mutant League NBA Jam daydream role-playing game I never knew I always wanted.

Destructoid - 8.5/10:
https://www.destructoid.com/review-pyre-450790.phtml
Despite some of these hiccups, it’s difficult not to enjoy being part of this strange world and participating blindly in its customs. Although I wasn’t quite as attached to the characters as I had hoped, I did appreciate the medley of personalities and felt the world and its customs were admirably orchestrated within everyone’s backstory. It might not be for everyone, but Pyre delivers on its fun gameplay in a way that beautifully illustrates the struggles of redemption and what it means to gain true freedom.

VentureBeat - 85:
https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/24/pyre-review-rpg-dodgeball-is-as-stylish-as-it-sounds/
Pyre backs up its eye candy with some pretty impressive world-building and fun gameplay, particularly in Versus Mode. Though the battles in the main campaign don’t offer too much of a challenge, the controls still make it feel great when you drive your team into your opponent’s goal.

WeGotThisCovered - 8:
http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/pyre-review/
It’s lovely immersing yourself in a game as strikingly different and authentically unique as Pyre. It’s an audiovisual delight, with a mesmerizing painterly art-style which is further complemented by some excellent, tactical gameplay. It’s got a strong identity, and I really hope it finds its niche, while resonating with those who’ve fallen in love with Supergiant Games’ previous titles, Bastion and Transistor. Simply put, Pyre is a magical symphony of the senses.

PC Gamer - 71:
http://www.pcgamer.com/pyre-review/
Pyre's campaign is repetitive and its combat never quite clicks, but a touching and thoughtful story makes it worth sticking through to the end.

Twinfinite - 7:
http://twinfinite.net/2017/07/pyre-review/
Pyre is a diamond in the rough. Its sense of adventure and novel Rites are ultimately held back from realizing their full potential by a campaign that feels drawn out, static teammates, and easy enemy AI. There’s plenty to love here, and Pyre will most definitely worm its way into the hearts of many, but it doesn’t quite top Bastion as Supergiants’ crowning achievement.

Kotaku:
http://kotaku.com/pyre-the-kotaku-review-1797195264
Pyre is interesting enough to play multiple times, but it can also be played just as a one-on-one sport. In the game’s versus mode, which pits you against either an AI opponent or against a friend on your couch. In the story, there’s a lot of narrative pressure to do well in the rites. Against another person, I was a bit freer to just enjoy banishing my enemies, or passing the ball down the court, or flying over an aura blast. When I played against Kotaku editor-in-chief Stephen Totilo in the office, he banished me just as I was about to score on him and I shouted, “you motherfucker.” Pyre is good in many ways. It’s even good enough that it made me call my boss a motherfucker.
NOTE:
SPOILER WARNING: For several hours, Pyre hold back a major twist about how it plays. I am spoiling that in this review, since it greatly influenced my take on the game, as it dominates the final two thirds of action and is ultimately Pyre’s most important gameplay system. Review-reader beware!

Xe4

Banned
Said so in the other threat, but I'm really glad (but not surprised at all)!
Congrats Supergiant!

sflufan

Banned
It feels disingenuous to even try and write words about Pyre, another Supergiant masterpiece. I don't feel that my prose can even begin to match the resplendent beauty that permeates this journey through the Downside.

Then perhaps another person should've written the review if this person didn't feel they were up to the task? It's this type of prose that pretty much sums up all that's wrong with game reviews.

Xe4

Banned
Twinfinite: 3.5/5
Pyre is a diamond in the rough. Its sense of adventure and novel Rites are ultimately held back from realizing their full potential by a campaign that feels drawn out, static teammates, and easy enemy AI. There's plenty to love here, and Pyre will most definitely worm its way into the hearts of many, but it doesn't quite top Bastion as Supergiants' crowning achievement.
http://twinfinite.net/2017/07/pyre-review/

US Gamer: 3.5/5
(can't copy text out of review conclusion)
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/pyre-review

Destructoid: 8.5/10:
Despite some of these hiccups, it's difficult not to enjoy being part of this strange world and participating blindly in its customs. Although I wasn't quite as attached to the characters as I had hoped, I did appreciate the medley of personalities and felt the world and its customs were admirably orchestrated within everyone's backstory. It might not be for everyone, but Pyre delivers on its fun gameplay in a way that beautifully illustrates the struggles of redemption and what it means to gain true freedom.
https://www.destructoid.com/review-pyre-450790.phtml

Hope this game does super well for them and that GAF takes notice of the (unsurprisingly) high review scores.

Almost feels like my tag should be 'Underappreciated Indie Review Thread Maker' at this point. :/

Gaz_RB

It feels disingenuous to even try and write words about Pyre, another Supergiant masterpiece. I don’t feel that my prose can even begin to match the resplendent beauty that permeates this journey through the Downside.

Then perhaps another person should've written the review if this person didn't feel they were up to the task? It's this type of prose that pretty much sums up all that's wrong with game reviews.

It's just video games.

TheSixthAxis - 9/10

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/07/24/pyre-review/

Supergiant Games continue to burn brightly as an independent studio, with Pyre being their latest imaginative and fantastical adventure. It casts aside many of the trappings of an action RPG from Bastion and Transistor in favour of something more akin to a real time tactical game, wrapping its fast paced and often fraught battles up in a world and cast of characters that gradually draw you into its cyclical tale.

Uzzy

Glad to see it reviewing so well, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Supergiant are 2/2 at putting out gaming masterpieces, I hope this makes it 3/3.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i wonder if this will suffer from what TO ME PERSONALLY their first two games suffered from -- which was just not drawing me in at all in the first few hours and me having barely any idea what i'm supposed to be doing. well at least transistor. barely remember bastion tbh

IMO

i wonder if this will suffer from what TO ME PERSONALLY their first two games suffered from -- which was just not drawing me in at all in the first few hours and me having barely any idea what i'm supposed to be doing. well at least transistor. barely remember bastion tbh

IMO

uh, I can understand not liking them but how on earth were you confused on what to do? the games are pretty simple and straightforward

SheHateMe

I'm ready. I preordered ages ago.

I have a feeling Supergiant will be 3 for 3 with me.

Transistor was one of two reasons why I bought a PS4.

Vic20

It feels disingenuous to even try and write words about Pyre, another Supergiant masterpiece. I don’t feel that my prose can even begin to match the resplendent beauty that permeates this journey through the Downside.

Mom & Dad's money was hardly wasted on this fellow's drama in journalism class!

Zoibie

The soundtrack also releases tomorrow. I've listened to both the Bastion and Transistor's soundtracks extensively so to say I'm excited is putting it mildly. Glad to hear the game is also worth the money, now if only I could carve out the time for it.

uh, I can understand not liking them but how on earth were you confused on what to do? the games are pretty simple and straightforward

I can understand what he means about transistor.i got the basics but after the first couple of hours I felt like I should be beating sections with with style and panache but I didn't know how to.

Ryne

Despite the good reviews, I don't think I'll buy this at launch. The game doesn't look like something I would enjoy so I'll pass until it's at a cheaper price point to give it a shot.

I loved Bastion and Transistor so it's sad for me to pass on one of their games :(

Xe4

Banned
This review by ACG is very solid. It goes into depth about the many facets of design the game makes work.

And while not a negative review, the USgamer take is a balanced read on what that author felt the game stumbled on.

It seems both mixed reviews thus far have taken a very balanced look at the game, even if I end up agreeing or disagreeing with them, they're well enough written.

lt519

I think this'll be what I'm doing all weekend, can't wait.

Mutant League NBA Jam daydream role-playing game

Haha sounds fantastic

has anyone commented on the vs. mp yet?

I don't really have the time or money for this game but if the versus is good I'd like to get the game when people are still playing...

Despite the good reviews, I don't think I'll buy this at launch. The game doesn't look like something I would enjoy so I'll pass until it's at a cheaper price point to give it a shot.

This is how I feel. I'm mostly bothered by the combat system which has been described as competitive 3-3 wizard basketball.

Anno

IMO

Seems likely reading through some of these reviews. I love it, but I can see how it's a turnoff to some.

AcridMeat

Banned
Will wait for more impressions. I loved Bastion, liked Transistor (combat was awesome), but playing Pyre at PAX East didn't grab me.

I love that they've tried to do very different games, so I'll end up getting it eventually I think. Just not a day one purchase like the previous two.

This is how I feel. I'm mostly bothered by the combat system which has been described as competitive 3-3 wizard basketball.
What would you have preferred?

At first, that was a turn off for me but thinking about it more, it's quite clever. The mechanisms of a sports match and a tactical battle are quite similar as both rely on team-based strategy, offense and defense, different classes/positions and playing those members to their strengths to counter opponents. See how Rocket League (soccer) and Frozen Cortex (football) presented other genres through a sports lens

lt519

Hmm, one thing that bothers me is the knock on the difficulty in the campaign. I always thought Transistor and Bastion had a good balance, especially in New Game+ when you threw on banes. Hopefully this has something similar (one reviewer mentioned you could give the opponents more HP for a reward of getting more XP, so sounds like it) and good trophies to shoot for in the more difficult versus mode. Love platinuming their games.

Really should get back to transistor. Plan to buy this. Is there a decent single campaign because I'm unlikely to care for the multiplayer side of it.

Really should get back to transistor. Plan to buy this. Is there a decent single campaign because I'm unlikely to care for the multiplayer side of it.
Devs have said their focus was single player, and a comment from the Steam Discussions said the campaign is around 13-15 hours

Reviews are pretty decent to great.

ACG saying is a buy is a huge plus, he's my boy and all... but unfortunately if I buy the game now I wouldn't give it the attention it deserves. So I might have to wait until a PC/Steam sale and get it then. Or wait until I beat FFXII and if there is a gap and I want to play something, this would be next.

Devs have said their focus was single player, and a comment from the Steam Discussions said the campaign is around 13-15 hours

ACG said around the same for story length, so 12+ hours seems like a good bet.

Top Bottom