• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EL CUCO

Cool, good to get clarification.

Although it's mysterious that the YouTube stream glitches out precisely when there's a big explosion on the screen.

All the youtube footage was captured off of the same Twitch stream, hence they all stutter, and tear at the same moments.

Whenever I watch these early gameplay videos I'm trying to get a sense of what I'll be doing - as the player - and the kind of choices I'll make, either from moment to moment or as part of a longer term strategy.

In this video, with me as the player, I watch a cut-scene which then puts me into a firefight on street level. Cover to the left with allied AI using it, cover to the right with allied AI, and cover forward in the street with another allied AI using it. I guess I'd use the big ole empty cover in the middle for this firefight then.

Now, I'm behind cover, what are my choices? There doesn't seem to be any real need to advance as the enemies are all at height, and no reason to look for alternative cover spots for angles or defensive moves since nothing the enemy is doing looks to affect me here. So my choices are really in which order to take the enemy positions down in.

Once that's done the game literally asks you to fire your special weapon attack into the building's second floor so you can see a canned explosion and advance the checkpoint forward.

Then policeman guy gets downed and you're asked to attend to him. You get to move up and hit triangle, at which point you're now stuck on rails while a line of enemies will walk on to a rooftop in the open and fire on you at point blank range with their pistols. The choice here is the same, to prioritize who to shoot, only now you've got no cover to work with.

Once you take down those enemies in whatever order since they're all the same, you get another cut-scene and the story moves forward.

So, as a showcase of visuals, this video is fine. As a showcase for gameplay, nothing that's come out for this game looks engaging in the slightest. No interesting choices to be made whatsoever.

If there's a fun game in there, I'd love to see it at some point.
Perfect post.

The visual presentation here is incredible, and I'm sure once we see some direct feed footage our collective eyes will be melted. But the gameplay looks numbingly identical to countless past-gen experiences. This stream shows me a game I feel like I've already played about 20 times.

I'm still waiting for a game which will sell me on a PS4 or XBO.

Gbraga

I dont think its the segments, I think its how the game plays. It's just looks frustrating. The weapon, the feedback, the visibility, etc. It looks clunky, the way the main character aims, and the way the weapons shoot, it just doesn't look well designed in the gameplay front. The game looks great, but at what cost?

Well, that could be the case, but it was always supposed to be one of those "cinematic experiences", but all they showed so far was shooting people, and it looks boring.

I usually hate cinematic stuff, but I'm interested in the setting and the creatures. The thing is though, if all you show is boring shooting, what else do I have to say other than "that's some boring ass shooting"? The combat was never the reason I was interested in this game, and so far they did nothing to convince me that it could be good, on the contrary, I feel like they're making people lose interest by not showing what this game really is about.

I know I am.

Loudninja

The game has gadgets as well remember
Alongside an arsenal of weaponry that offers a huge array of combat options, you’ll also have a number of gadgets at your disposal. Here, Galahad is surveying Victorian London with a monocular in search of a fire fight.

“The Monocular was built for multipurpose use,” explains Ru. “We haven’t talked about all the different modes of gameplay in which it will be implemented, but what we showed in the latest demo is it being used as a looking glass, and to send Morse code. You can flash a signal to the airship to give your location.

“We have a lot of other devices like this that we’re trying to implement. Of course, there are always more ideas than we can fit into the game, so it’s a question of which ones will stick…”
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/02/26/10-things-need-know-order-1886/

Yeah, there is something odd about the effects when he is shooting that sign. No visible damage being done, just sparks and some really peculiar looking smoke. While the visuals in general are impressive, the gameplay and stuff like this is anything but.

iJyRUvnS2Fv2d.gif

Something to do with it being a thermite rifle maybe. Don't know much about thermite though.

Whenever I watch these early gameplay videos I'm trying to get a sense of what I'll be doing - as the player - and the kind of choices I'll make, either from moment to moment or as part of a longer term strategy.

In this video, with me as the player, I watch a cut-scene which then puts me into a firefight on street level. Cover to the left with allied AI using it, cover to the right with allied AI, and cover forward in the street with another allied AI using it. I guess I'd use the big ole empty cover in the middle for this firefight then.

Now, I'm behind cover, what are my choices? There doesn't seem to be any real need to advance as the enemies are all at height, and no reason to look for alternative cover spots for angles or defensive moves since nothing the enemy is doing looks to affect me here. So my choices are really in which order to take the enemy positions down in.

Once that's done the game literally asks you to fire your special weapon attack into the building's second floor so you can see a canned explosion and advance the checkpoint forward.

Then policeman guy gets downed and you're asked to attend to him. You get to move up and hit triangle, at which point you're now stuck on rails while a line of enemies will walk on to a rooftop in the open and fire on you at point blank range with their pistols. The choice here is the same, to prioritize who to shoot, only now you've got no cover to work with.

Once you take down those enemies in whatever order since they're all the same, you get another cut-scene and the story moves forward.

So, as a showcase of visuals, this video is fine. As a showcase for gameplay, nothing that's come out for this game looks engaging in the slightest. No interesting choices to be made whatsoever.

If there's a fun game in there, I'd love to see it at some point.

so where are the destructible environments they've been touting about?
that sign should be absolutely destroyed.
sure, the art and graphics are gorgeous, but there's nothing cinematic or dynamic about not effecting the surroundings.

As a fan of this game, these things are really bothering me. That sign was shot at multiple times and there were multiple fire/explosions, but nothing is broken after that. WTF. Hope this is not reflective of the final product.

Again if it needs to be delayed to really polish it, I hope Sony/RAD take their time.

Kiant

Cool, good to get clarification.

Although it's mysterious that the YouTube stream glitches out precisely when there's a big explosion on the screen.

It was taken directly from the stream which had the issue of the screen tearing so not surprising that transfers to the capture on YT. We need Sony to release the direct capture.

LastNac

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God!!!!!

Segmented chapters to tell the story!

Dynamic camera during gameplay!

Consistent Gameplay!

It reminds me of Uncharted 3 and THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED!!!!!!!!!

Kssio_Aug

I had the oportunity to see this, only now! The video quality is bad, but it seems very impressive! o_O

This one is probably my most anticipated game for this year! Also, the gameplay looks good, just as a good TPS should look like (and I've never expected it to have a inovative TPS gameplay, since I cant even imagine that). Im glad that Sony is bringing it on PS4. Its approach is quite different from Uncharted, I would say its more a GeoW kind of public that theyre trying to reach here. I like both however! =D

Would this game be getting torn to shreds on GAF more if it didn't look very very pretty? I know we haven't seen a whole lot but it seems to have a lot of stuff GAF normally tears other games apart for.

I hope they show more of the horror elements and maybe a monster encounter at E3 as those things are what really have my interest

ICPEE

I'm seeing a curious tendency here from some users last days.

DriveClub? soulless.
The Order? boring.

What have another generic tps that makes it special?
I have noticed that too in recent reveals by Sony IP's. The Driveclub threads especially.

vpance

I know, that is exactly my point. All I have seen so far has been generic shooting. Why not show something better, if it is there.

I'm sure there will be something better. The problem is they're still working on it and probably will be up until the night before E3. At the same time SCEA has a gun to their head to release clips, something, anything, for these previews for the journos because the public is completely starved for info and the marketing dept needs to hit the deadlines. So that's why we've got random footage of back alleyway shootouts.

But the decision to go with this tearing low quality twitch stream reveal boggles the mind.

NastyBook

So many people writing this game off from a single three minute stream on twitch with horrendous streaming issues and compression.
I'm still hyped for the game, that clip just didn't do it any favors. Same thing happened with Driveclub. Now they (Evolution) have dropped about 4 or 5 videos recently that get me excited as fuck. I'm hoping this will go the same way. Maybe come E3 they'll have a stage demo with a GOOD player showing off the game's abilities.

ironcreed

Banned
Damn generic windows look at that guy just generically vaulting through it and then generic running for generic cover.

Rename the game The order Generic 1886;EVEN THE GADDAMN BUILDINGS ARE GENERIC!

LOL.

On a serious note, the visuals and setting are amazing. It's just the gameplay that does not wow me. That said, it still looks pretty good on the whole. Just not, 'oh my god, I must have a PS4' kind of good. But I'll certainly check it out if I ever do decide to get one.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thermite is not explosive. The ignition of thermite creates intense heat that can be used to cut through metal. I don't know if this is a long enough time.

Trickster

Would this game be getting torn to shreds on GAF more if it didn't look very very pretty? I know we haven't seen a whole lot but it seems to have a lot of stuff GAF normally tears other games apart for.

I hope they show more of the horror elements and maybe a monster encounter at E3 as those things are what really have my interest

The game wouldn't be getting much of any attention if it didn't have the graphics to attract the attention it's gotten so far

Gbraga

Please elaborate and tell me what you've fathomed from this isolated, context-less three minute gameplay trailer.

While I do think you're right that this is not representative of the final game, I really dislike this approach to dismiss any criticism as being invalid because "you can't form an opinion on such little footage". That's bullshit (no offense), they WANT you to form an opinion on what you're watching, it's just that they hope you form a positive opinion, even better if that opinion involves "I'm gonna pre-order this shit right now". If they didn't want you to think anything about the game from this footage, they wouldn't release it.

Sure, the final game may be completely different than what those short videos are leading us to believe, but that's on them, not us. There's nothing wrong with analyzing and criticizing a short video.

Would you be saying "come on guys, we didn't see anything" if everyone was super hyped about it and praising it to no end? Probably not, and you shouldn't, because there's nothing wrong with having an opinion on the footage they showed.

Of course, posts like "the game is gonna be garbage", "sony is doomed" and etc are ridiculous, but people have been saying this for every kind of criticism since the previous video.

Arxisz

Well that was very disappointing to say the least, it had absolutely no effect on me whatsoever. didn't look appealing or fun. just scripted events with shootbang thrown in...
I hope they can do better than this.

This is the reason I got a ps4. I bought a Xbox one at launch but figured I'd jump on the ps4 because I knew this was coming and I'm so hyped for it. I'm a big bears fan so the gameplay looks really solid. 1886 is a great historical year for Britain. The glamorised culture of that time is awesome and Jack the ripper/Whitechapel is really interesting. I like supernatural stuff so that's also a big bonus.

Graphics are stunning

While I do think you're right that this is not representative of the final game, I really dislike this approach to dismiss any criticism as being invalid because "you can't form an opinion on such little footage". That's bullshit (no offense), they WANT you to form an opinion on what you're watching, it's just that they hope you form a positive opinion, even better if that opinion involves "I'm gonna pre-order this shit right now". If they didn't want you to think anything about the game from this footage, they wouldn't release it.

Sure, the final game may be completely different than what those short videos are leading us to believe, but that's on them, not us. There's nothing wrong with analyzing and criticizing a short video.

Would you be saying "come on guys, we didn't see anything" if everyone was super hyped about it and praising it to no end? Probably not, and you shouldn't, because there's nothing wrong with having an opinion on the footage they showed.

Of course, posts like "the game is gonna be garbage", "sony is doomed" and etc are ridiculous, but people have been saying this for every kind of criticism since the previous video.

Dude, I could go grab 50 random 2 minute clips of The Last of Us and throw em out there and they would make the game look " generic ".

Thermite is not explosive. The ignition of thermite creates intense heat that can be used to cut through metal. I don't know if this is a long enough time.

Sure, but there should be some damage of some kind even just cosmetic. That just looks silly and last gen. You know when the visuals are this amazing as they are, these small things really bother and stand out.

aly

I think the OT should be called: generic dude doing a generic jump through a generic window.

I don't know why, but this and the comment about Hookers& generic buildings have been the highlight of the thread for me. Too Funny.

Yeah, the marketing has been off for this game. Yeah its pretty with an excellent setting, but they need to show something more. Like inhuman enemies or destruction or mustache dlc. I don't care, just more than what they have.

Lakitu

st5fu
Stunning graphics and tech on display. Combat looks better than the previous video but still not convinced. Games like Uncharted and Max Payne drew me in because they had amazing narratives and pacing. Hope it's similar here.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sure, but there should be some damage of some kind even just cosmetic. That just looks silly and last gen. You know when the visuals are this amazing as they are, these small things really bother and stand out.

They could put one of those black poof textures on things.

Gbraga

Dude, I could go grab 50 random 2 minute clips of The Last of Us and throw em out there and they would make the game look " generic ".

Sure, you could, and if Sony did promote the game like that, is it really my fault if I think it looks bad?

It's their job to convince me to spend 60 bucks on this, I'm just reacting to what they're showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom