• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

My fav part of RE6 is how Ustanak chases Jake and Sherry throughtout the game and will insta kill them most of the time, but then Jake decides to kick its ass in a fist fight, and wins...

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

I was being sarcastic incase it didn't show. That bit was dumb as hell.

They really screwed up the MP not having a proper team deathmatch mode, as well as the lack of NPC enemies, and dumb stuff like putting RPG on the map in Ustanak mode. RE5 Versus for all its problems was a thousand times better.

Dusk Golem

joe2187

Banned
There used to be one of my all time favorite Gifs or the Jake and Ustanak fight where Jake counters the Ustanak, and loses his gun and the Ustanak taunts jake by kicking the gun in the fire.

I cant handle it.

Jawmuncher

RE6 chronological order I think is a great way to play it. Gives the game more variety and better pacing. So you aren't going "Oh man I just beat one campaign and still have 3 more to go". That as a simple toggle would be great.

---------

Ustanak was like my biggest complaint about RE6. Poor Mans Nemesis through and through.

What are the chances RE5 gets released on current gen consoles? and is it really bad playing alone? Generally don't like coop games

Jawmuncher

What are the chances RE5 gets released on current gen consoles? and is it really bad playing alone? Generally don't like coop games

The easier the difficulty the easier playing with the AI. Though if you're playing on normal and don't treat sheva like a pack mule and actually give her upgrades she does fine. I have never had much trouble with her in my play throughs.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

While it's easier in co-op, my first playthrough (and many subsequent ones, too) were solo. The only thing the AI partner can straight-up ruin is professional run
temple encounter with a couple of familiar faces.
. The AI just doesn't grasp the gravity of the situation, there. & that's professional mode.

I expect to get a current-gen release. It's actually my go-to for couch co-op & would love to move it to PS4 for X1.

For RE6 HD I wouldn't mind if they allowed a chronological mode that let you skip the repeated sequences. That's the biggest issue with chronological for me- I don't want to fight the large BOWs on Jake 1/Chris 2 back to back, for example.

Other than that I want a significant texture overhaul. Can't imagine them making too many other major changes but I can see maybe some minor tweaks (like Nintendo and the Zelda HDs) that could smooth out the campaign experience a fair bit.

Jawmuncher

You know they'll probably be able to include the Left 4 Dead characters. Valve doesn't much care where their stuff ends up. There's portal stuff in rocket league.

There is actually a team deathmatch mode, though; on you just have to turn on the Team Alpha/Bravo thing and then choose which tema you're on, but a proper mode would work better since you can make it 5 vs 1 (and we've done as such).

Not a proper mode, you get one life and you're done (because ain't no way you're killing a player as a zombie), and the weapon balance is crap. Matches always over within 30 seconds.

Playing alone is fine, just remember the AI partner, likely Sheva first time through, needs be treated like a player.

Don't keep all the good weapons for yourself, lump her with something crap+ healing items and spare ammo and then wonder why she dies. Also trading items back and forth and thanking for them builds up a friendship system or whatever and the AI performs better as a result.

Only time AI truly fumbles is the 2v2 fight on Professional difficulty, one shot deaths all over the place for player and AI.

Dusk Golem

That is definitely not true from what I've played. Now I almost wish I had kept the recordings of our multiplayer matches, there have been so many rounds we've done where players keep on stealing each others lives as the enemies, some of the crazier rounds it keeps on happening back and forth... It can be tricky, but if you know how to play the monsters they can be surprisingly effective. The most ridiculous round I've ever had of deathmatch was on the bridge level, there was literally only two players alive at any time and they couldn't focus on each other since the other monsters kept on ganging on one or both of them and swapping out with them as the living player. Given the monsters work a lot better if they coordinate with each other than if they just charge stupidly right after someone, but the best times for a monster to attack is either when a player is distracted with another player, hiding nearby to get the finishing kill, to do a sneak attack, or to travel as a gang and then the monsters try to quickly gain the killing blow to revive.

This said, I would like a mode with more than one life too.

You must be playing with awful players to not end the game so quick, you literally just quickshot>finish and they are dead in 5 seconds. Everyone should be dead before the first player who died even gets to respawn as a monster.

Played a fair amount of matches and they all ended the same, quick, fast deaths and game over.

Dusk Golem

Arttemis

With the success of REmake HD, hopefully RE0HD, and almost assuredly RE2HD, I really hope Capcom goes back to survival horror. Not Revelations bizarre hybrid design, but actually survival horror.

I don't care where the camera is located, or if the enemies run or stumble (though, I'd prefer Romero's shamblers). The Last of Us is a better Resident Evil game than what we've seen in the last decade. The Evil Within had some bumps, but it's still unquestionably more survival horror than the African romp and segmented schizophrenia we got last generation.

I really wish the series would abandon the existing cast. I thought it was interesting to see Jill again in RE3, but I want to see new and unique protagonists set in new and unique situations each game. The focus should be surviving the situation at hand, not the soap opera and villainy or the same people.

TreIII

I mean they added content to DMC4:SE. When it comes to a lot of it they could just reuse assets. Have a new character go through the same levels with some new exposition.

Though overall I would just prefer tweaks to the game such as a new tutorial and some fixing to the vehicle sections.

When in doubt, they could always add in more Wesker! 8D

With the success of REmake HD, hopefully RE0HD, and almost assuredly RE2HD, I really hope Capcom goes back to survival horror. Not Revelations bizarre hybrid design, but actually survival horror.

I don't care where the camera is located, or if the enemies run or stumble (though, I'd prefer Romero's shamblers). The Last of Us is a better Resident Evil game than what we've seen in the last decade. The Evil Within had some bumps, but it's still unquestionably more survival horror than the African romp and segmented schizophrenia we got last generation.

I really wish the series would abandon the existing cast. I thought it was interesting to see Jill again in RE3, but I want to see new and unique protagonists set in new and unique situations each game. The focus should be surviving the situation at hand, not the soap opera and villainy or the same people.

Not directing this personally at you as loads of people say this, but I just don't see this. But I also firmly believe the fixed camera angles are integral to that old school survival horror RE experience.

Reebot

I also don't see that at all. Virtually every aspect of the experience differs from Resident Evil; the tone, mechanics, story, visuals, and even basic pacing of the game are widely distinct. The only similarity is third person action against zombies, but there's more to RE than that.

I think The Last of Us also really excels at the resource-conservation side of things, for what it's worth, when classic RE was previously kinda the gold standard for making that a gameplay focus.

joe2187

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180977&page=8&highlight=resident.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (joe2187, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Resident Evil 5 -- MB-47A3340DAB621EE6 - Taken by Zero-ELEC. 10 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Resident Evil Revelations -- MB-279BC4486017E9C8 - Taken by Vibranium. 7 entrants total.
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Episode 1 -- MB-F9EB03084B11CE35 - Taken by Zambatoh. 1 entrants total.
Resident Evil 4 -- MB-B0449F0E117B4BA2 - Taken by E_Darkness. 6 entrants total.

t1455078011z1.png

Yo

Whoever wins RE5 send me a PM for the Gold content DLC Key

Zambatoh

Ah a super secret giveaway event. :)
Might be nice.

As for Rev2. Is it just the first episode or the whole season?

Vibranium

Banned
Feels like Billy is a one off character. He's officially dead so I suppose that would make it difficult to get a government job.

I am 100% sure he won't be in the new CG movie and it sucks. Oh well, it'll be nice to see Rebecca again. A shame Parker got the Billy and Carlos treatment too, I really liked him which came as a surprise to me. Very charismatic.

Thanks for the giveaway Joe! I'll give Revelations HD a shot and see if I win.

Grisby

No, solo is fine outside of a last couple of chapters encounter on professional difficulty. And then there's one part after that where, if you're playing as Sheva, well, I hope you're ready to give your thumbs to god boy.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I am 100% sure he won't be in the new CG movie and it sucks. Oh well, it'll be nice to see Rebecca again. A shame Parker got the Billy and Carlos treatment too, I really liked him which came as a surprise to me. Very charismatic.

Thanks for the giveaway Joe! I'll give Revelations HD a shot and see if I win.

I keep thinking about all the characters that just drop off the face of the series and what they're doing...

Billy "Professional Cool Dude" Coen is probably somewhere in México, being a cool dude, laying low. Carlos "Vague Origin" Oliveira is was probably part of the Counter-Umbrella group and who knows what happened to him after. Parker "Discount Barry" Luciani is probably... somewhere in the B.S.A.A. being horrible.

Y'know, I rag on Parker but he's not as bad as Quint "I Stalk Women" Cetcham, Keith "I Have No Interesting Qualities" Lumley, Raymond "Carrot Top" Vester and Jessica "Unlikable From Head to Toe" Sherawat. REvelations had a stellar cast of characters...

ANYWAYS, thanks for the giveaway Joe!

News Bot

Banned
Really? I honestly can't think of a single other plothole, and even that one can be handwaved as the army/national guard temporally retreating after being overwhelmed. It'd be a huge coincidence that this happened just when Leon and Claire entered the city but beside that it'd work. What other plot holes are there?

That is the explanation actually. There's no specific time for when the military retreated. But you can even see signs of it in Outbreak with abandoned U.S. Army vehicles on the highway. Also, the reason Jill only surfaces on September 28, five days into the incident, is because she holed herself up in her apartment waiting for the Army to enter the city. She decides on her "last escape" when it becomes clear nobody's coming, which is the reason behind her statement to Dario.

Q10) Did you have an explanation for how Leon & Claire were able to enter Raccoon City despite the military blockade?

Leon and Claire were fortunate (or perhaps unfortunate) in that they were able to slip by the blockade when the military forces quarantining Raccoon City retreated after facing an attack from the zombies.

Raccoon City is located in an isolated area in the mid-west, and is surrounded by stretches of wasteland with nary a building in sight. Since the majority of the citizens had been confirmed dead, the military decided to quickly back off to prevent any unnecessary casualties.

Outbreak would've detailed the progression of the incident quite well and probably even would've shown the retreat or at least mentioned it clearly if it hadn't been botched to the point where only half the game was released across two releases.

RE has more plot holes than... well just about anything. That's part of its wonderful charms.

If your definition of plot hole extends merely to "unexplained", then sure. But I can't think of a single actual plot hole in the story--- all of it. It's one of the most consistent stories in the industry, I'd wager.

A shame Parker got the Billy and Carlos treatment too, I really liked him which came as a surprise to me. Very charismatic.

He reappears in the Heavenly Island manga to assist Claire at Chris' recommendation because he got shit to do. CAPCOM are doing a decent job lately of utilizing characters post-6, and their new characters are pretty good so far.

Also wonder about re rev 1 cliff hanger thing

It's only a cliffhanger to people because of that game's (and the series') bastardized localization attempts, which I'd rank as some of the worst and consistently bad in the industry. The meaning behind REV1's epilogue is revealed in Jessica's Report and hinted at in one of the game's files. Jessica and Raymond were triple agents of TRICELL. The ending is a foreboding to the events of BIO5, not a new plot thread.

The Family could've been a good addition to the series' lore, but having them being secretly pulling the strings of pretty much everything was a dumb idea.

And it's especially dumb that they killed Simmons the same game they introduced The Family. He could've been a good villain, had they spread him out a couple of games.

Simmons is the personification of a plot point that started in BIO3 (and actually even earlier in the BIO2 drama albums) by making the U.S. government the top customer of Umbrella that "caused" (one of many) the Raccoon City incident by attempting to steal Umbrella's new virus and leading scientist. This was meant to be explored much earlier in the series but Mikami's detour in BIO4 delayed it and, arguably, diluted it. It was brought up again in Degeneration and BIO6 is the resolution. Simmons is a main figure directly responsible for facilitating the government's collusion with Umbrella and desire for bioweapons.

The Family don't actually pull any strings outside of BIO6. They're a background force throughout the series that nobody has heard about until now, and it would've stayed that way if it wasn't for Simmons' obsession with Ada which was how they wanted to justify achieving bringing such a secret organization into the limelight. It is essentially the "Cabal" in The Blacklist, but as implied by the name, more focused on the Simmons family. This continues the running theme of nobility. Derek Simmons himself is actually identified as "Cousin S", so he might not even be of the main Simmons bloodline.

BIO6 tries to do too much and achieves little as a result, but most of its plot threads have potential that can turn out quite well if explored well. And preferably not by Shotaro Suga.

Reebot

If your definition of plot hole extends merely to "unexplained", then sure. But I can't think of a single actual plot hole in the story--- all of it. It's one of the most consistent stories in the industry, I'd wager.

A plot hole is a lapse in internal logic, not consistency; you're confusing the two. RE can be as consistent as ever and still full of holes.

Its a plot hole every time Barry magically teleports through locked doors.

But, again, an airtight story is often a boring one, and the worst thing an RE game can be is boring.

News Bot

Banned
A plot hole is a lapse in internal logic, not consistency; you're confusing the two. RE can be as consistent as ever and still full of holes.

Its a plot hole every time Barry magically teleports through locked doors.

But, again, an airtight story is often a boring one, and the worst thing an RE game can be is boring.

I know what it is, and a lapse in internal logic often is contradiction. That's not a plot hole because in this series, gameplay is distinct from plot, and always has been. Zombies can only be killed by shooting them in the head but in the games you can kill them with 4-5 bullets to the chest. Level design is also distinct from the plot.

Vibranium

Banned
I keep thinking about all the characters that just drop off the face of the series and what they're doing...

Billy "Professional Cool Dude" Coen is probably somewhere in México, being a cool dude, laying low. Carlos "Vague Origin" Oliveira is was probably part of the Counter-Umbrella group and who knows what happened to him after. Parker "Discount Barry" Luciani is probably... somewhere in the B.S.A.A. being horrible.

Y'know, I rag on Parker but he's not as bad as Quint "I Stalk Women" Cetcham, Keith "I Have No Interesting Qualities" Lumley, Raymond "Carrot Top" Vester and Jessica "Unlikable From Head to Toe" Sherawat. REvelations had a stellar cast of characters...

ANYWAYS, thanks for the giveaway Joe!

Parker may be a discount Barry but he's awesome IMO, I agree every other character in Rev 1 were pretty bad though. Also Billy may be a "Cool Dude" on the outside but it's totally obvious that he's a big softie on the inside as Zero progresses. He can even play the piano way better than Rebecca!

Nice to hear Parker at least appeared in a manga, I wish we would get an ongoing RE comics series by IDW or someone. The RE5 tie-in was really bad, the Wildstorm RE2 comics were ok I guess. Hell after Anderson finally leaves maybe we can get a TV show or a movie that closely follows the Raccoon City/Arklay Mountains events.

Neiteio

I haven't gotten far enough in Zero to find out, but can someone just spoil it for me: Billy was wrongly accused, right?

Reebot

I know what it is, and a lapse in internal logic often is contradiction. That's not a plot hole because in this series, gameplay is distinct from plot, and always has been. Zombies can only be killed by shooting them in the head but in the games you can kill them with 4-5 bullets to the chest. Level design is also distinct from the plot.

Sure, if we arbitrarily separate the elements then yeah, its airtight.

But back to celebrating RE; let's talk about what a nightmare it would be to live in Raccoon City even pre outbreak. The entire city runs on gems and obscure logic games.

Vibranium

Banned
I haven't gotten far enough in Zero to find out, but can someone just spoil it for me: Billy was wrongly accused, right?

Oh yeah. There's a long CGI cutscene that shows why. I remember when RE5 came out people thought
the village where Billy and his team shot the villagers was the same one as where Sheva and Chris were at
. So much for that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I figured. Thanks guys.

Billy and Chris would be a cute couple.

Fixed for fandom

But in reality, I want Jill and Jessica Sherawat

Neiteio

Not as cute as Piers and Chris.
This would rob RE6 of its dramatic impact, but I'd love if in RE7 they're like, "Chris, we just found Piers alive at the bottom of the ocean," and they go diving and find him in Tyrant form just chilling down there. They dredge him up and then give him some Flintstone vitamins and he's back to normal, only now he can transform his arm freely like Krauser in RE4 Mercs, because that's totally sweet.

The rest of the game is essentially a "will he, won't he" sort of deal where Chris alternates between dreamy eyes with Piers and dreamy eyes with Jill.

Capcom, hire me, I can write this shit with my eyes closed.

News Bot

Banned
Sure, if we arbitrarily separate the elements then yeah, its airtight.

But back to celebrating RE; let's talk about what a nightmare it would be to live in Raccoon City even pre outbreak. The entire city runs on gems and obscure logic games.

Is it really arbitrary when the developers are quite open about it? It's not a movie. The gameplay is the gameplay and the story is the story. A plot hole would only be a plot hole if it was a lapse in the plot.

according to Billy, yes

But who knows I guess.

Billy actually doesn't say whether or not he killed anyone. The game shows the player he didn't and Rebecca thinks he didn't, but Billy drops it. He probably killed his commanding officer, but that's as far as it goes.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that RE0 zombies can't come back as Crimson Heads robs them of all tension. In REmake I avoided killing zombies because I knew I would either have to face them as Crimson Heads or use valuable gas to burn them, whereas in RE0 I just happily kill every zombie I come across. It makes RE0 feel more lighthearted, which I guess isn't such a bad thing.

Then again I literally just finished the train section so maybe the enemies get more ferocious in this new zone.

Vibranium

Banned
The fact that RE0 zombies can't come back as Crimson Heads robs them of all tension. In REmake I avoided killing zombies because I knew I would either have to face them as Crimson Heads or use valuable gas to burn them, whereas in RE0 I just happily kill every zombie I come across. It makes RE0 feel more lighthearted, which I guess isn't such a bad thing.

Then again I literally just finished the train section so maybe the enemies get more ferocious in this new zone.

Yeah it was a terrible mistake to remove them. Someone should have asked the RE0 director why he did that.

One would hope Capcom have plans to bring them back, last time they appeared was Umbrella Chronicles if I'm not wrong.

This would rob RE6 of its dramatic impact, but I'd love if in RE7 they're like, "Chris, we just found Piers alive at the bottom of the ocean," and they go diving and find him in Tyrant form just chilling down there. They dredge him up and then give him some Flintstone vitamins and he's back to normal, only now he can transform his arm freely like Krauser in RE4 Mercs, because that's totally sweet.

The rest of the game is essentially a "will he, won't he" sort of deal where Chris alternates between dreamy eyes with Piers and dreamy eyes with Jill.

Capcom, hire me, I can write this shit with my eyes closed.
The final chapter will have two endings where you pick Jill or Piers. The fate will not be known until RE8.

Top Bottom