• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Thanks, I'm very interested in the game but there's almost no info about it on the web and the generic name makes it impossible to find.

Here's a shot I took yesterday.

zfV15Dz.jpg

In the bags are a variety of smaller and larger tokens. There are wooden discs which I'm not sure what those are for.. maybe for the scoreboard.. I won't get into these new games till I get back home. Anyway, you can see the scoreboard on the bottom left, and it's a nice thick folding board. It's made to look like a chalk board. I like it.

The player sheets are cool, but they're just thin catalogue type paper. I think I might scan them, shrink them a little so they'll fit in the box unfolded, and laminate. Not shown, but on the opposite side of the player sheet, is a legend, with a bunch of tiny symbols from the game, with descriptions.

The cards seem cool, and it appears there are two decks, but I won't bother opening the cards until I can sleeve them at home. The game box is very nice, but probably much bigger than it really needs to be. Looking forward to playing.

Keasar

So for the few people who've played level 99's battlecon how does exceed compare? From what I can tell battlecon is to streetfighter what exceed is to guilty gear/blazblue. I was waiting for this move to be done and tax return to pick up and try battlecon, but at $160 for both full seasons exceed seems like the easier game to jump into.

Well, both games are actually quite comparable. They use the same system of Priority, range, attack power, stun etc. The main difference being that in Exceed you have a deck of cards for each character that you draw from like a more common card game and then try to do the best moves using what you have on hand while in BattleCON you have always the same cards in hand minus the 2 recent pairs you've played currently in cooldown.

Personally, though I haven't played Exceed, I kinda prefer BattleCON where all cards are kinda literally on the table and you always know what your opponent have available and try to play around that. Exceed does however seem like the easier game to set up and play. I would say that just a box of BattleCON: Devastation of Indines will keep you entertained for a long time considering the absolutely insane amount of content it has (lots of characters, co-op/solo dungeon mode, boss fights and more).

I am myself considering getting at least one box of Exceed. To give my support to Level99 and further help along the upcoming Seventh Cross big box game. Which this season of Exceed is using characters from.

KiKaL

I gave in and backed Dinosaur Island. This will be pretty much my first Kickstarter so hoping it goes well. Pretty excited about it.

chifanpoe

I gave in and backed Dinosaur Island. This will be pretty much my first Kickstarter so hoping it goes well. Pretty excited about it.

It does look fun. It may be my most anticipated game of 2017 currently right up there with Charterstone.

Looking at the new $450k goal of 19 more end game cards is pretty amazing. Hopefully they get it.

zeeaykay

Hate to be that guy, but if you haven't checked out Empires of the Void II there's just a few hours left in the Kickstarter.

I think this game does fill a void in my collection. A 4X-lite that focuses more on storytelling and politics than complicated tech-trees and battles (though it does have both).

For those who aren't familiar, Ryan Laukat has a pretty good pedigree and has designed Above and Below, Near and Far and City of Iron, among others.

I try to keep my Kickstarters to a minimum but this does seem like a fairly unique and well-priced game you may want to consider.

etrain911

I just wanted to pop my head in and thank all the lovely people here for their recommendations. I have acquired Star Realms, Schotten Totten, and added Jaipur and the Jack the Ripper stand-alone Sherlock Holmes expansion to my wish list.

EYEL1NER

Congrats on Dinosaur Island, St00ge. I'm in for a Deluxe Edition.

Man, I just broke open Star Wars Rebellion and it is impressive. I love the two-part board ala War of the Ring. I wonder if War of the Ring's board is bigger though.

Congrats on Dinosaur Island, St00ge. I'm in for a Deluxe Edition.

Man, I just broke open Star Wars Rebellion and it is impressive. I love the two-part board ala War of the Ring. I wonder if War of the Ring's board is bigger though.

Great game and I highly recommend this insert if you play it a lot (or even if you just pull it out on occasion)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Also, I'll be in Tokyo for Game Market in May if anyone wants to meet up!

Blizzard

Banned
I just wanted to pop my head in and thank all the lovely people here for their recommendations. I have acquired Star Realms, Schotten Totten, and added Jaipur and the Jack the Ripper stand-alone Sherlock Holmes expansion to my wish list.
I personally enjoy Race for the Galaxy (a general tableau-building game that works with 2 players) and 7 Wonders Duel (a version of 7 Wonders specific to 2 players) a lot more than Jaipur.

However, some people like it. And 7 Wonders Duel is only ok if you don't mind one player viciously screwing over the other. :p

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Also, I'll be in Tokyo for Game Market in May if anyone wants to meet up!

Congrats on Dino Island!

Have fun! I think I'm done with TGM for a while, really wanna go but need to save some money. I think spring 2018 will be my next one.

Xater

Just watched the SU&SD review if Flamme Rouge. This game looks good. I wanted a racing game for a while, but Formula D never really did it for me because of play elimination and a bit too much luck dependency. This game seems to fix both of those issues.

PS: Dinosaur Island looks cool, but I can't back stuff that isn't at least language independent.

EYEL1NER

Whatif you turn it on its side?
I've been looking at all of the pictures I can find of it and the trays seem to have deep enough walls that nothing should fall out. The poster you are addressing can answer better, since he actually owns it. Their website says they are can be stored vertically or horizontally using their product; the two Empire trays go in the bottom of the box, one of the halves of the board then goes on top of those, the two rebel boards go on top of that, and then the other half of the board sits on top of those with the rulebooks. The trays are supposed to kind of attach into or rest into the tray above them. It seems like it should still be protective of the components when stored sideways, but again, the poster you asked should have the best answer regarding it.

EDIT: He doesn't turn it on its side after assembly but here is a guy re-boxing his copy in the Zen Bin organizer. It looks like it definitely should be stable on its side, there isn't any room for items to slide into different trays or out of their spaces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAOhNKWgoU

EDIT 2: Here is a BGG thread about inserts and a guy says at first that it can't be stored on its side, but he then posts again and says that he forgot about the boards. Once he put them in, nothing spilled anywhere. I think I've been convinced to buy one now.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1712192/star-wars-rebellion-insert

TIME Stories 3 player, what are people's thoughts on it?

Whatif you turn it on its side?

It's fine, you can shake it, turn it upside down it will keep the piece in the inserts. The inserts are sandwich in between the two boards which then act as lid for the bottom insert. It's probably one of the best inserts I have used for board games. The fact that it's a vac-form plastic made it really light compare to the wooden inserts and it's more tidy than the foam board.

I played a lot of games this week at three difference MeetUp. One of the nice thing about being in the Portland - Vancouver area there really is no shortage of gaming groups. I just recently switch my job and got off the night shift which so far free up more free days to play games.

I got introduced to the slightly older games this past week including Chicago Express (one group I play with really love auction and economy games), Trajan (definitely my favorite of Feld games so far), Kemet, Russian Railroads, and the 1st edition of A Study in Emerald. My favorite of this list has to be Trajan. Chicago Express was fun but the end feel a bit pre-ordain, Kemet was also fun but like the similar type of games you need same group of people on equal footing, Russian Railroads is good but to my surprise I found A Study In Emerald to be very enjoyable. It took a little bit to wrap my head around the end game scoring and condition. I have the 2nd edition and really do not see why they went and made all the changes.

Also played a lot of newer favorites - Scythe, Villages of Valeria and Goomhaven with my daughter. Next week is GameStorm con weekend and I plan to go all four days since I have vacations time. Should be fun playing games for four days.

fenners

Ito my surprise I found A Study In Emerald to be very enjoyable. It took a little bit to wrap my head around the end game scoring and condition. I have the 2nd edition and really do not see why they went and made all the changes.

1st edition is a ridiculously cool kitchen sink of a game. It's messy, it can be hard to play the first time, and there's a ton of mechanics & uncertainty going on. Wallace took that, decided he needed to strip out the uncertainty, clean up the art, and try to make it a more mainstream success. In the process all the charm & tough decisions slipped out of it.

Keasar

So CMON have released the rulebook for Rising Sun and I was wondering how people think it fares? I've heard about that people were really enjoying Blood Rage but I got enough Vikings in my life that I thought a Eastern theme would be nicer. So I've put down a dollar on Rising Sun just to be kept in the loop for now and wouldn't loose much if I decided to pull out.

Any thoughts?
http://resources.cmon.com/RS_Rulebook_WIP.pdf

So CMON have released the rulebook for Rising Sun and I was wondering how people think it fares? I've heard about that people were really enjoying Blood Rage but I got enough Vikings in my life that I thought a Eastern theme would be nicer. So I've put down a dollar on Rising Sun just to be kept in the loop for now and wouldn't loose much if I decided to pull out.

Any thoughts?

Seems very bland diplomacy style game. Outside the cool minis, it doesn't seem very unique or much fun.

fenners

Any thoughts?

I'd already pretty much decided not to back it from the bland overviews. The minis are gorgeous, but this looks like a pretty routine mechanic game, with lots of focus on negotiation. I've already got Tammany Hall. Actually, seeing a few similarities with that in the rule book.

chifanpoe

Any thoughts?

Thanks for sharing the rules.

I watched the full play through as well the other day.

Other than Rising Sun being made by the same team as Blood Rage and both having some large Monsters that can come to the table I think that is where the similarities end. I do enjoy Blood Rage(retail copy) a lot and it works well with smaller groups. Most of my games are 3-4p and that works well.

Rising Sun is going to need at least 4+ players to work well. Being that it is a negotiation game the group you play with will greatly dictate how much "fun" there is.

I do like the theme in both games but tend to favor Rising Suns more. Even with all the cool stretch goals I have come to the sad realization that I would not get to bring it to the table in my group or at home. Unfortunately Rising Sun is a pass for me.

chifanpoe

Thanks for the input. Was mostly looking at it for the Blood Rage hype but since I can pass up on it safely I can just focus on backing the new Aeon's End game instead.

That is the route I took as well.

I am glad they are offering the $10 upgrade for people who bought Aeon's End and expansions at retail!

JSR_Cube

I think Rising Sun looks okay... not great. I will probably keep my base pledge but forget the add-ons. I don't think that they are worth it and I worry that too many monsters and clans, etc. won't be too balanced anyway.

It is amazing that some people think that this game is the second coming or something seeing the posts on BGG. Hey, I like Eric Lang's games but I didn't think that Blood Rage was that great after multiple plays. I also thought that the Others was mediocre. But, some people seem to have quite the faith that Eric Lang can't put out a bad game (I think Chaos in the Old World was his best game and that was a great game).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think Rising Sun looks okay... not great. I will probably keep my base pledge but forget the add-ons. I don't think that they are worth it and I worry that too many monsters and clans, etc. won't be too balanced anyway.

It is amazing that some people think that this game is the second coming or something seeing the posts on BGG. Hey, I like Eric Lang's games but I didn't think that Blood Rage was that great after multiple plays. I also thought that the Others was mediocre. But, some people seem to have quite the faith that Eric Lang can't put out a bad game (I think Chaos in the Old World was his best game and that was a great game).

I feel like Eric is a pretty good example of how just being really open and pretty gregarious can get you a lot of cred with gamers. He's probably the biggest name in game design right now and I don't think his catalog comes anywhere close to justifying that when you look purely at the games. I don't know if it's over-design or under-design or what but his games are just always really similarly mediocre to me. Even lighter stuff like Bloodborne, which I sort of like, just doesn't feel really tight and clean like something from a master like Bauza or Feld. He's just clearly a level below the masters imo (and that might even be generous) but he's definitely got a cult of personality around him and his games. That said it's not anything that bothers me like the weirdly toxic cult of personality around Sirlin and a few others, so more power to him and the thousands of people who love his games.

Experien

I agree though I haven't gone through the instructions yet. I like the theme a lot and I still have it backed but so does a friend. Either I am going let it go and just play his copy or keep it and if I don't care for it, I'm sure it will be easy to sell off the KS version.

JSR_Cube

I feel like Eric is a pretty good example of how just being really open and pretty gregarious can get you a lot of cred with gamers. He's probably the biggest name in game design right now and I don't think his catalog comes anywhere close to justifying that when you look purely at the games. I don't know if it's over-design or under-design or what but his games are just always really similarly mediocre to me. Even lighter stuff like Bloodborne, which I sort of like, just doesn't feel really tight and clean like something from a master like Bauza or Feld. He's just clearly a level below the masters imo (and that might even be generous) but he's definitely got a cult of personality around him and his games. That said it's not anything that bothers me like the weirdly toxic cult of personality around Sirlin and a few others, so more power to him and the thousands of people who love his games.

Ya, I like Eric too. I don't mean to slight him or anything. It just surprises me how popular he has gotten so quickly and the faith that some people seem to have in this game before even seeing the rules. I was talking to a friend about it and I am not sure that you can keep the pace of releases he is doing and get really great games. I hope he can do it. I want to play great games and I am looking forward to what he does with the Godfather, for example.

My take is that he is a very good designers of games in genres that are generally very ordinary. He is kind of in the right place at the right time as fans of "but I have this card so I win lol" games look for something with a bit more bite... and nice minis.

EYEL1NER

I should be getting my copy of Fugitive with Paperback add-on tomorrow hopefully. If it shows up in time, I'm gonna take Paperback to my Wednesday night game night.

EYEL1NER

For anyone interested, the Gloomhaven reprint kickstarter will launch at noon EDT, April 4.
I'm going to have to do a ton of research on it between now and then. I know it is the current hotness, and I tend to get sucked up into 'the hotness,' but every time I look at it I find myself thinking that the character designs are bad. Me not being able to get into the character art and designs seems like a big deal for a game like that.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think Lang excels at games that are easy enough to get into for newer/not so "serious" players while still retaining enough bite for vets and the like. That actually isn't something that is easy to do, i think. We tend to like super heavy games but never really have a problem playng his stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm going to have to do a ton of research on it between now and then. I know it is the current hotness, and I tend to get sucked up into 'the hotness,' but every time I look at it I find myself thinking that the character designs are bad. Me not being able to get into the character art and designs seems like a big deal for a game like that.
I guess I can understand that, but the only time you even see the character design is if you look at the player mat (which is technically unnecessary if you track HP/EXP another way) or if you look at the mini (which is so small as to make details hard to see).

When you're actually playing the game, all you really see is a bunch of map tiles with enemy overlays and a couple of minis, plus your cards.

It's a euro-style combat-focused game with dungeon-crawling campaign, quest tree, and gradual unlocks. There is room for different strategies depending on what card build you use. For those who like that sort of thing, I think it's a super neat, unique game.

If someone is looking for enormous minis, lots of character art, and a flexible game master'd D&D-style game with a heavy story focus and little combat, it won't fit the bill.

Anything CMON puts out is hyped to hell and back as the next coming, even before the rules are even out. They can crap in a box but it's gonna sell because of all the cool minis included with that poop.

Lang does ok games, hes had a couple really good games, but for the most part hes a "safe bet" for making a decent game, but he is so over hyped as some kind of design god. Rising Sun just seems boring, it's essentially rules taken from other similar games, with some extra rules tossed on to make it seem thematic, but it's just gonna make the game heavier/slower. Doesn't feel like a ton of effort was put into this at all.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anything CMON puts out is hyped to hell and back as the next coming, even before the rules are even out. They can crap in a box but it's gonna sell because of all the cool minis included with that poop.

Lang does ok games, hes had a couple really good games, but for the most part hes a "safe bet" for making a decent game, but he is so over hyped as some kind of design god. Rising Sun just seems boring, it's essentially rules taken from other similar games, with some extra rules tossed on to make it seem thematic, but it's just gonna make the game heavier/slower. Doesn't feel like a ton of effort was put into this at all.

I don't always agree with your opinion, but you are damn spot on with this post. CMON has an infinite number of "free passes" to use - they could put out hot garbage and people would eat that shit up.

Mikeside

I was pretty hyped for Rising Sun until the past few days. I think it's just because so many people are frothing up for it, its easy to get caught​ up in it.

Have swapped my ​pledge out for Village Attacks, which genuinely looks like the good shit.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm definitely curious about Gloomhaven, just not sure if I would be able to get it to the table consistently. In the campaign can players jump in and out, or would there characters just fall behind?

Karkador

Banned
PSA

Not sure when it happened, but apparently Imperial and Imperial 2030 are reprinted and available at major game retailers at a reasonable, regular-boardgame prices. I guess it's been up for a while?

I strongly recommend you check out these excellent, time-tested games before they go OOP again.

XShagrath

I've played Gloomhaven three times now (two wins and a loss), and I really enjoy it. The mechanisms are simple enough, but give way for some really tense situations and difficult decisions. The only thing that's a little clunky is managing all of the enemy decks and remembering when to re-shuffle them, etc.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm definitely curious about Gloomhaven, just not sure if I would be able to get it to the table consistently. In the campaign can players jump in and out, or would there characters just fall behind?
You can have a bunch of characters jump in and out since all scenarios scale to the average party level.

You'd have to catch people up on the story and events they missed, and if you have like 6+ swapping in and out then there might be some issues with limited items everyone can purchase from town though.

PSA

Not sure when it happened, but apparently Imperial and Imperial 2030 are reprinted and available at major game retailers at a reasonable, regular-boardgame prices. I guess it's been up for a while?

I strongly recommend you check out these excellent, time-tested games before they go OOP again.
Seconded. I prefer Imperial to Imperial 2030 but you can't go wrong with either game.

Karkador

Banned
Seconded. I prefer Imperial to Imperial 2030 but you can't go wrong with either game.

I've heard the same, though I just own Imperial. However, is it true the rules differences are minor and you can just use Imperial's rules in 2030?

In any case, 2030 has the advantage of being a global map, which kinda gives it that Risk look (but it's way better and no bullshit dice rolls)

Top Bottom