• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Timeaisis

HKmV8A0.png

Hello and welcome to Austin and CTX Community Thread! This thread is for GAFers that live and work in the Central Texas area or those who are visiting. Come talk, relax, and hang out. We'll try to organize meet-ups as well. If you find yourself in town, or interested in the city in general, come on over and say hi.

Upcoming CTX-GAF Meet-ups:
Suggest something

Past CTX-GAF Meet-ups:
Board Games at the Emerald Tavern - Saturday, February 20th at 8:00 PM
Rainey Street - Friday, August 21st
Classic Games Fest
Bowling at the Goodnight - Friday, June 12th at 8:00 PM
Pinballz Arcade - Saturday, May 16th at 8:00 PM

Austin Mini-Guide

Events
It's generally not hard to find events. There's always something going on every weekend.
Austin.gov events calendar
Do512.com

General Attractions and Fun Stuff
We have lots and lots to do here. This is a small list of some of the highlights.
6th Street
Texas State History Museum
Paramount Theater
Bats on Congress Bridge
Alamo Drafthouse Theaters

Parks, Wildlife and Outdoors
Central Texas has some beautiful parks and outdoor areas. Here's a handful.
Zilker Park
Lady Bird Lake
Hamilton Pool
Barton Springs Pool
McKinney Falls State Park
Mount Bonnel
San Marcos River

Conventions and Festivals
Austin hosts a lot of conventions and festivals every year. The list would be huge if I listed them all, but here's some of the bigger ones.
SXSW
Austin City Limits
Fantastic Fest
Rooster Teeth Expo
Ikkicon

Food
We sure do love our food here in Austin and Central Texas. We've got everything from Tex-Mex to asian fusion, and everything in between! We also have some damn good BBQ, but let's try not to start a fight with DFW-GAF.

Tex-Mex/Mexican
Arguably, our most known for food. We have tacos. Lots and lots of tacos. If you're looking for something more classy, Fonda San Miguel is the way to go.
Fonda San Miguel
La Condesa
Trudy's
Chuy's
Tacodeli
Torchy's Tacos
Tacodeli > Torchy's

BBQ
CTX ain't no slouch with BBQ, even though we might not as famous as the rest of Texas. The Salt Lick and Franklin are the two best. One's got a long drive, the others got a long line. ;)
The Salt Lick
Franklin's
La Barbeque
Rudy's
Stubb's

Asian
We've got a lot of great Asian restaurants, all over town!
Uchiko
Ramen Tatsu-ya
Michi Ramen
Pho Dan
Din Ho
Ka-Prow

Fusion
Probably most famous in food trucks, Austin has some amazing fusion eating. Some of it sounds weird, but it's quite amazing.
Koriente
Chi'Lantro
Verts Kebaps
Kin and Comfort
East Side King

American and Pub Fare
We've obviously got a lot of bars. Here's some that actually have good food, too.
Swift's Attic
Old School Bar & Grille
Blackstar Coop
B.D. Riley's
Moonshine Grill

Burgers
Some old-school hamburger places coupled with some more modern hip stuff.
Hopdoddy Burger Bar
Top Notch Hamburgers (and Fried Chicken)
Hut's Hamburger's
P. Terry's
Mighty Fine
Wholly Cow
Twisted Root
Eureka

Pizza
Austin has no good Pizza places. Sorry.
Just kidding. Pinthouse Pizza is good.
Via 313
Home Slice Pizza
Brick Oven Restaurant
Little Deli

Italian
Mandola's Market
Carmelo's

Steak
Perry's
Estância Churrascaria

Heart Attack
Gourdough's Donuts

Fine Dining
We've got our fair share of fine dining, too. Here's a few that come to mind. I might need help with this portion, I don't partake in fine dining all too often. :p
Barley Swine
Congress
Roaring Fork

Suggestions for anything are welcome! Tried a new restaurant? Got some activity or place that you think other CTX-GAFers would like? Think I'm overlooking something obvious? Let me know. I'll try to keep the OP updated as best as I can.

More updates to come...

Also, a link to the previous thread

Awesome, awesome job! :) Here are a couple more food places that I could think of.

Pizza:

Home Slice Pizza
Mangia Pizza
Brick Oven Restaurant

Italian:

Mandola's Market
Carmelo's

AkuMifune

Banned
Pizza options are limited, but we usually go with Little Deli (great sandwiches too!) or the Arpeggio Grill. It's a really neat Mediterranean restaurant on Airport Blvd that happens to have great pizza. Not a real fan of Mandola's but maybe it's better to go when it isn't packed.

Weather is getting nice! I'm usually down for basketball anytime but my wife is due in May so I might b e flaky. Right now I'm just happy to tuck her in early and get some Bloodborne time.

Timeaisis

Awesome, awesome job! :) Here are a couple more food places that I could think of.

Pizza:

Home Slice Pizza
Mangia Pizza
Brick Oven Restaurant

Italian:

Mandola's Market
Carmelo's

Cool, thanks. I completely forgot about Mandola's. I've been once, but the line was really, really, long, so it kind of turned me off. Food was pretty good, though.

Pizza options are limited, but we usually go with Little Deli (great sandwiches too!) or the Arpeggio Grill. It's a really neat Mediterranean restaurant on Airport Blvd that happens to have great pizza. Not a real fan of Mandola's but maybe it's better to go when it isn't packed.

Weather is getting nice! I'm usually down for basketball anytime but my wife is due in May so I might b e flaky. Right now I'm just happy to tuck her in early and get some Bloodborne time.

Oh man someone was telling me about Little Deli. I have yet to try it, but I just googled it and it looks really good.

And yeah, whether is super nice finally. Maybe I'll actually get outside and do something this weekend!

South Austin needs good food places. Mangieri's is pretty good, but there are better pizza joints in Austin (Austin's Pizza being one of them).

Great job on the OT.

Zoe

I don't really think Hopdoddy's is anything special. Maybe cause I'm just a meat-cheese-bun kind of person. Give me a good fast food burger, and I'm perfectly happy.

And as I'm writing this, the bf says we have to go back to Wholly Cow. I only had the cheesesteak, but it was really good.

Timeaisis

I don't really think Hopdoddy's is anything special. Maybe cause I'm just a meat-cheese-bun kind of person. Give me a good fast food burger, and I'm perfectly happy.

And as I'm writing this, the bf says we have to go back to Wholly Cow. I only had the cheesesteak, but it was really good.

Did you hear the downtown one closed? :/
The building it was in getting demolished for a hotel or something.

Wholly Cow is great but, I love Hopdoddy's, the burgers are always high quality. And I loooove a good burger.

But yeah I used to hit Wholly Cow all the time, I lived close enough to walk there every day. My arteries are thanking me for moving away lol

Timeaisis

I just had Kin and Comfort again. I'm addicted to that place now, and it's right next to where I live...

Wholly Cow is great but, I love Hopdoddy's, the burgers are always high quality. And I loooove a good burger.

But yeah I used to hit Wholly Cow all the time, I lived close enough to walk there every day. My arteries are thanking me for moving away lol

I like hopdoddys too, but the line is always so crazy. Sometimes I get lucky and get a seat at the bar.

UT Senior here!
Hey and welcome!

I had brunch at Porter Ale House last week, and their sweet potato mash may actually be one of the best dishes I've tasted at any restaurant in Austin.

I haven't kept up with the community, how is everyone? New thread looks great!

Also, spring has finally come to our city. :)

Just moved from Austin back to Wisconsin this past summer. Has not been fun going back to winter and much worse tech scene.

I really loved the two years I spent there except the disappointments with low water in Lake Travis and the horrible traffic.

Got a friend trying to get me to move myself and my family down to Austin. I'm in IT and I realize there's a ton of IT work down there, but I'm hesitant to take a job at a startup. I know HP, Google, Apple etc are also there as well.

Anyway, visited Austin last year around St. Patty's day and I really liked it, but the drought and overloaded infrastructure kinda spooked me, I admit.

I also had some of the most amazing breakfast tacos I've ever had while I was there. Perfect breakfast food after a morning workout.

I also had some of the most amazing breakfast tacos I've ever had while I was there. Perfect breakfast food after a morning workout.
Breakfast tacos are an art form that no other city on earth can match, compared to Austin.

Also... I just wanna say, goddamn. Having a Sunday off while living in Austin, TX is one of the best things in the whole world. I love this city.

Heyo!

I'm from Austin but I'm currently living in Taylor right now.

Welcome, welcome! :)

Oh cool, I have a few friends that are doing that. Never been myself.

It's pretty damn great, I loved it.

We did that last weekend. Always an interesting day. The dudes manning the chair swing were pretty unhappy with life though, lol.

Oh nice! Any crazy things happen? Because I had a lot of crazy things go down, haha.

I actually didn't go by, I kinda wish I did to see what you meant on that. xP I also got stuck at tomato throwing section. I had to hear all the shot talk. Lol

Who I wouldn't kill to get some hopdoddy's.

I still haven't gone. :(

Cmd F Gourdough's... No results.

Dude, there's something wrong with the food list.

Gourdough's is an Austin thing? I would have mentioned it. I loooove the Double D's burger, so gooood.

Breakfast tacos are an art form that no other city on earth can match, compared to Austin.

Also... I just wanna say, goddamn. Having a Sunday off while living in Austin, TX is one of the best things in the whole world. I love this city.

You got that right. For both things!

Maaaaaan I miss the city so bad. TexMex at 2AM used to be my favorite drunk food in the world. Pick up some lone star at 7AM for a boost.

Shit I keep making myself hungry.

Timeaisis

Spring is holding...but we're supposed to get some rain soon, which is dumb. Saturday is supposed to be nice, at least.

AkuMifune

Banned
Spring is holding...but we're supposed to get some rain soon, which is dumb. Saturday is supposed to be nice, at least.

Just in time for all those crazy egg hunting parties amirite? God I hate Easter. There's no hell worse than waiting in an hour-long line for a little girl's face painting.

Except for maybe Ikea on a Saturday. :)

Oh nice! Any crazy things happen? Because I had a lot of crazy things go down, haha

I didn't see much, but was there pretty early. I'm convinced that some really crazy things go down at ren faire's after dark.

That's why the animals tend to get so quiet, they know the worst is yet to come.

I didn't see much, but was there pretty early. I'm convinced that some really crazy things go down at ren faire's after dark.

That's why the animals tend to get so quiet, they know the worst is yet to come.

Oh, yes.

You'd be surprised about what goes down at night, haha. Seriously! It was my first time and I didn't expect females flashing. My clan was full of swingers as well. •﹏•

But they were really cool!

Gurrry

Anyone here ever go to emerald tavern games? Ive been going there almost every weekend lately and have been looking for people to play tabletop games with!

If youve never been, its right off of Burnet rd from 183(first exit past mopac). You can drink good beer and coffee and play their board games for free! You can also bring your own, or buy some there.

If anyone is interested reply here or PM me! I would love to hang out with some austin gaffers!

Timeaisis

Anyone here ever go to emerald tavern games? Ive been going there almost every weekend lately and have been looking for people to play tabletop games with!

If youve never been, its right off of Burnet rd from 183(first exit past mopac). You can drink good beer and coffee and play their board games for free! You can also bring your own, or buy some there.

If anyone is interested reply here or PM me! I would love to hang out with some austin gaffers!

Yup, I've been a few times. Pretty good game selection, and decent beer selection, too. I think a meet-up there was suggested on here many, many months ago but it never materialized. Anyway, if any other Austin-GAFers like boardgames and are interested in meeting up, playing games and drinking beer, we could see if we can organize something.

Gurrry

Yup, I've been a few times. Pretty good game selection, and decent beer selection, too. I think a meet-up there was suggested on here many, many months ago but it never materialized. Anyway, if any other Austin-GAFers like boardgames and are interested in meeting up, playing games and drinking beer, we could see if we can organize something.

I am down! I am going there with the girlfriend on Sunday(and possibly saturday), but i can go up there anytime on weekends and anytime after 3 on fridays. When would you be available?

Timeaisis

I am down! I am going there with the girlfriend on Sunday(and possibly saturday), but i can go up there anytime on weekends and anytime after 3 on fridays. When would you be available?

I'm typically pretty open on weekends, but not this coming one, unfortunately. I'll update the OP too see if anyone else is interested and we'll take it from there.

For asian food, i'd suggest Asia Cafe

It's a pretty awesome place, great food, and no tipping. Because there are no waiters.

You place an order, they call your number and you get it. My Chinese born wife considers it her favorite in town.

Korea House is also pretty high up on my list, though much more pricy. Great place to take a date though.

Ther Hula Hut is also a favorite, though often packed in the summer. It's kind of like Pacific infused mexican food.

And speaking of texmex, Chuy's has multiple branches, and is damn tasty. Interesting atmosphere as well.

Oh! Speaking of events, Moto GP is coming to town April 10-12! I've got friends going, but sadly, kiddo prevents me from attending this year.

On a less world famous note, Awesome Games Done Eventually is taking place in Austin, April 3rd thru the 5th. Be sure to check it out, and donate to the cause.

Or order them some pizza or such.

Gurrry

I'm down! I just bought The Resistance the other night and have been dying to play it with some folks

Dude awesome! Lets exchange info and meet up! PM me! Never played Resistance but I will learn anything! First round of beers/coffee is on me!

Im about to buy a copy of Descent, so if you have ever played that or are interested in a tabletop RPG, we could get that going as well!

Also - Munchkin is always a good time!

Top Bottom