• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

TimmmV

harsh

he could be a lot better if he wasn't so timid though

His finishing is his main problem.

Still think he will be really good, its a shame that FSG didnt get Klopp the summer he left, cos it would be interesting to see how he would be in this team at the moment, especially if we still bought Mane

harsh

he could be a lot better if he wasn't so timid though

He needs players with pace around him, the second he has to play to others pace rather than his own he becomes a bit shit. The England team have that pace but they never really use it. Slow build up doesn't suit him at all, Guardiola has highlighted that pretty clearly this season.

Icolin

Banned
FIFA bans Messi for four World Cup qualifying matches.

Messi was banned for "having directed insulting words at an assistant referee" during a home qualifier against Chile on Thursday, FIFA said hours before kickoff in La Paz.

"This decision is in line with the FIFA Disciplinary Committee’s previous rulings in similar cases," the world soccer body said.

Messi and the Argentine soccer federation can appeal against the ban to FIFA. Messi was also fined 10,000 Swiss francs ($10,160).

It was judged a red-card offence for Messi, who scored the only goal from a first-half penalty.

Television pictures showed Messi reacting angrily late in the game when the assistant flagged him for a foul. He waved his arms and shouted profane insults at the Brazilian official.

After the game, Messi refused to shake hands with the assistant who had annoyed him.

longdi

Banned
Time for Messi to retire for good.

4/5 final games without Messi, Argentina wont qualify with its already shitty defending.

Guess that leaves CR7 as the sole survivor. lol!

TimmmV

Henderson was meant to be back for the Everton game, but would have thought Klopp will have him on the bench rather than throw him straight back into the first team

Fuck mid season international football, I knew it would injure at least one Liverpool player

So Sweden is actually playing fairly good as of late. As a Swede it is once again fun to watch them. Under our last coach it was a constant fear no matter what team we were facing. Since switching coach for this qualifier we haven't really had a bad game, the one against the Netherlands was so-so but it can be blamed on him just having one week with the players as well as a lack of experienced players in the midfield. Even our only loss against France (Ivory coast in January was a team composed of young up and comers) showed some good play.

Zasa

Vamos Chileeeeeee

What a FK goal Alexisssssss.

Edit: Beautiful Alexis throughball to release Aranguiz on top of that. 2-0 Chile

So Sweden is actually playing fairly good as of late. As a Swede it is once again fun to watch them. Under our last coach it was a constant fear no matter what team we were facing. Since switching coach for this qualifier we haven't really had a bad game, the one against the Netherlands was so-so but it can be blamed on him just having one week with the players as well as a lack of experienced players in the midfield. Even our only loss against France (Ivory coast in January was a team composed of young up and comers) showed some good play.

Party-Janne!

Icolin

Banned
Two Whitecaps uniting for Costa Rica! Bola to Waston. 1-1 Costa Rica v Honduras.

Finally, something to be proud of as a Whitecaps fan, lol.

Syder

Video technology was used to correct two wrong decisions as Spain beat France in a friendly in Paris
France striker Antoine Griezmann had a goal ruled out by a video assistant referee for offside.

And Spain's second goal, scored by Gerard Deulofeu, was awarded by the video official after an assistant referee wrongly flagged for offside.

David Silva opened the scoring for Spain with a penalty after Laurent Koscielny fouled Deulofeu.

Griezmann had earlier had a headed goal ruled out when referee Felix Zwayer reversed his initial decision after receiving a message in his earpiece from the video assistant referee, who was sat in a truck outside the Stade de France.

Replays showed Layvin Kurzawa was narrowly offside when he headed the ball to Griezmann, with the decision to overturn the goal made in about 30 seconds.

Deulofeu's goal - from a Jordi Alba cross - was awarded after a conversation between the referee and the video assistant that lasted about a minute.

Video assistant technology was first used in September, in France's 3-1 friendly win in Italy.

It was then used at the Fifa Club World Cup, and the Football Association wants to use it in next season's FA Cup from the third round onwards.

Fifa president Gianni Infantino would like the system to be used at the World Cup in Russia next year.

casiopao

Juve-GAF, is Dybala as good as Neymar? The guy seems like another Aguero/Tevez/Saviola, good goal getter and nothing else. Neymar at least gets you goals, assists, take on defenders, make freekicks.

Not yet. But Dybala is still growing there. However, Dybala do all those thing you said though. He get goals, assists, take on def and also score FK.(Actually, all of this don't sounds special thing here.)

He literally make Juve play on the field much livelier as his dribble and pacing is great.

On Transfer next season, being Juve fans is great.^^ So many huge player link to us here.^^

Tolisso, Donnaruma( we will just get Meret i think.^^), Alexis Sanchez, Bentacur, and Bernardeschi(Going to be really hard as this one come from Viola and we know how Viola really hated Juve.)

All hot prospect which will be lovely to follow.^^

ty_hot

Brazil is the first one qualified for WC. Tite is amazing.

When he came we were 6th (out of the WC), nobody would respect us, we didnt have faith in the team, the 7x1 talk was present 100% of the time ...

He basically won all 9 matches (1 was a friendly, in honour of the Chapecoense tragedy), 8 in the Qualifiers (thats a record of consecutive wins), and we are literally playing better than when we had Ronaldo Adriano Kaka Ronaldinho around 12 years ago. Solid defense, fast counterattack, controlling the game most of the time. Our midfielders playing well offensively and defensively.

I will be next year in Russia and we are bringing the 6th title. Before that, I plan to be in Berlin for the friendly against the Germans, the first after the 7x1, in March. The gods of football are smiling at us again.

Yeah, the hype train is completely crowded, but we have our reasons.

Peléo

Brazil is the first one qualified for WC. Tite is amazing.

When he came we were 6th (out of the WC), nobody would respect us, we didnt have faith in the team, the 7x1 talk was present 100% of the time ...

He basically won all 9 matches (1 was a friendly, in honour of the Chapecoense tragedy), 8 in the Qualifiers (thats a record of consecutive wins), and we are literally playing better than when we had Ronaldo Adriano Kaka Ronaldinho around 12 years ago. Solid defense, fast counterattack, controlling the game most of the time. Our midfielders playing well offensively and defensively.

I will be next year in Russia and we are bringing the 6th title. Before that, I plan to be in Berlin for the friendly against the Germans, the first after the 7x1, in March. The gods of football are smiling at us again.

Yeah, the hype train is completely crowded, but we have our reasons.

The fact we are not playing in the next Confederations Cup makes me happy. We weren't lucky that last times we won it. Also glad we have a coach who knows we still have a lot to improve until we face world-class natiomal teams.

Beefy

Ronaldo gets a airport named after him and this bust.....

C8FXI7zXwAEsZkC.jpg

During the faff between the vid ref and the ref I was a bit like "hmmmmm hurry up", then they made the right call and I want it in the prem immediately. Its gonna get rid of so many shitty decisions. Man City and Arsenal fans will love it and pretty much most other team fans as bad calls seem to be endemic at the moment.
It would make the Champion's League more interesting. Probably would have made quite the difference in the Barca/PSG match.

How would it work though, the Ref double-checks when he's not sure? The managers are allowed a certain amount of 'challenges'?

It would make the Champion's League more interesting. Probably would have made quite the difference in the Barca/PSG match.

How would it work though, the Ref double-checks when he's not sure? The managers are allowed a certain amount of 'challenges'?

Apparently it is two way between the ref and vid ref, no other involvement. The ref can request a decision and the vid ref can flag things up.

I think the biggest change it will have is how teams now play with offsides. Often you see the defending team drop once they see the flag go up, or teams that play high lines and offside traps will all scream for offside immediately when they play the trap. The whole engagement of that will likely change as a ref will now be able to let play continue then pull it back if need be.

spidye

Dortmund getting another talent.

Although with so many young and inexperienced players this can get dangerous pretty fast.
I'm not so sure if this is the right way

azyless

CONCACAF having as many spots as CONMEBOL seems off. I know CONMEBOL doesn't have many countries so you can't qualify all of them, but it's still a bit ridiculous that countries like Ecuador or Peru could miss out on the World Cup while Trinidad and Tobago gets in. Weren't there talks of merging the 2 confederations ? Where did that go ?
Anyway, don't know how much I'll care about the world cup by then, between the consecutive Russia and Qatar WC and the expansion, it's not going in a direction I like.

Top Bottom