• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Spladam

tumblr_inline_oo2vgviKYo1qb9x1g_500.gif

Added that gif to the collection, it's gonna be useful. Your new avatar is throwing me off, like it's some other user called sixteen-bit. The old one just made more sense ;)
Haha so much hate. Next thing I know you'll tell me Earthworm Jim 2 wasn't the better game!

I always preferred the first one myself.

I think you can source the replacement drives/lenses/lasers or whatever for Sega CD pretty easily online. I've been tempted to buy a broken model 1 cheap, and try getting it back up can running.

I can't speak on the Sega CD side of things, but I had a friend who did this on his 3DO and it worked out great though it took buying 2 or 3 laser/lense kits before getting one that was working. The other ones were just DoA. I had a friend who did this with his PCEngine Duo and that was an even bigger pain, I think he said he went through like 10 or so kits before finding one that wasn't DoA. I don't know if that's just their luck, or something about the stock of kits out there, but I thought I would share their experiences.

Peltz

Yo, Super Bomberman R is surprisingly good. I just tried it for the first time last night and the single player is actually kind of addictive. I am not the biggest Bomberman guy, but this game is making me realize that I've been missing out. I'm not really sure yet how to play multiplayer effectively though.

The only Bomberman games I've played are Neo Bomberman, Bomberman 64 (USA) which I loved, Bomberman Hero (rented this once back in the day and liked it), and I think either Bomberman 4 or 5 on Super Famicom (which I've not sunk any real time into).

It's pretty cost prohibitive but Saturn Bomberman is a blast (hyuck, hyuck). I have only played that and Bomberman '94 on PCE which is the same as Mega Bomberman on Genesis.

I would love to give Bomberman R a try but I'm side-eying that $50 pricetag hard and also #FucKonami

Peltz

It's pretty cost prohibitive but Saturn Bomberman is a blast (hyuck, hyuck). I have only played that and Bomberman '94 on PCE which is the same as Mega Bomberman on Genesis.

I would love to give Bomberman R a try but I'm side-eying that $50 pricetag hard and also #FucKonami

I don't blame you regarding the price. But I think it will come down in the future.

Yes Boss!

PC-Engine Bombermans are always the perfect ones for me. I love those all. Not so much single but for multi. Saturn is a close second. Definitely give those a try. Also, many missed it but Bomberman Blast on Wiiware is a pretty good mix between the old and newer styles.

I picked up Bomberman at launch and just updated it but every time I play it I still strugggle with the large bodies of the guys. Something I also had trouble with in the XBLA version. I kinda wish they had gone back to sprites. That said, I am planning on beating it just still working on Graceful Explosion and Zelda. The whole package from Konami is just fabulous...right down to the cute 33rd anniversary logo. I love it!

I aim to finally try Bomberman 64 next.

I'll have a back-lit GBA SP arriving next week, it appears to be new and in box, it's even got the original store receipt, so I have no reason to believe it's not genuine.

But still, is there anything I should be looking out for to identify a refurbished shell or after market panel?

Oh, and it's a Pink European model.

Well, that's a dead giveaway. Europe never got backlit SPs.

EDIT: Nvm, it never came out in UK, but did in mainland Europe.

Saturn Bomberman is the best Bomberman hands down.

fester

Banned
To those of you who have replaced the batteries on your SNES carts, how difficult was it? Did you have previous soldering experience? I'm facing a dilemma: Play my originals and risk a dead save halfway through the game, preemptively replace the battery, or just stick with emulation. RetroArch with CRT shaders looks pretty damn nice, but I have a great Sony Trinitron setup that's also hard to beat.

This video make it look so simple, but I would be horrified to screw up the boards on Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana.

Thoughts?

D.Lo

Saturn Bomberman is the best Bomberman hands down.
I got it recently and really did not like it in Single player. It has a rep as the top multiplayer version, but I don't have the ability to play multi at the moment, and SP is something I enjoyed on the SNES games.

To those of you who have replaced the batteries on your SNES carts, how difficult was it? Did you have previous soldering experience? I'm facing a dilemma: Play my originals and risk a dead save halfway through the game, preemptively replace the battery, or just stick with emulation. RetroArch with CRT shaders looks pretty damn nice, but I have a great Sony Trinitron setup that's also hard to beat.

This video make it look so simple, but I would be horrified to screw up the boards on Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana.

Thoughts?

Spend 10 minutes watching a "how to solder" video on youtube, buy a $10 soldering iron + some batteries with built in tabs and go for it. It's super easy even with only beginner soldering experience. Just be careful not to burn yourself.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Spend 10 minutes watching a "how to solder" video on youtube, buy a $10 soldering iron + some batteries with built in tabs and go for it. It's super easy even with only beginner soldering experience. Just be careful not to burn yourself.
You mean you're not supposed to hold the iron like this?

poV6g8xl.jpg

Burning yourself is part of the experience.

The Rock-On cover will never not be funny.

The cover is silly, but that completely absurd intro text block is even funnier! Unfortunately the game is no good and is the boring kind of bad, not the fun kind, but oh well. I have the game and don't regret getting it at all despite the boring and flawed gameplay, because that intro is amazing and there are worse games out there.

Haha so much hate. Next thing I know you'll tell me Earthworm Jim 2 wasn't the better game!
You're right, it's not. I don't love either game, for sure, but I do think the second is less good than the first. It tries things with its variety, but way too many of those varied modes don't work well... constant variety in a platformer can be great, Donkey Kong Country 3 is my favorite of that series, but in EWJ2 it makes that game less fun to play than the first one was, for me at least. If you really like some of its weird stages though sure, I could see someone liking it more.

I want to disagree with you but you brought up valid points.

I went back to playing through Earthworm Jim on Sega Genesis last night. Playing through level "What the Heck?" was frustrating. I forgot that when you use your whip at the hooks to swing across, you have to be accurate.

This is where my nostalgia for the game clouds certain aspects that I hated. And you're right, tightness of the controls and certain game mechanics are not it's strong points.

I still do like the game despite it's weak points. Mainly because at the time 9 year old me was wooed with the animation and pure wackiness of the it's characters.
Yeah, I think a lot of people were. For me though, looking back, part of why I never did like the game as much as some has to be the presentation -- I never have liked EWJ's style of comedy much at all, and find something kind of off-putting about its art style as well. The gameplay does have real and significant flaws that annoy me, from the controls to the graphics to the level designs, and those are its biggest issues, but if I thought it was funny I imagine I'd be more forgiving.

I'll readily agree that Earthworm Jim isn't on the same level as the games you listed, but I wouldn't call it middle of the road. It's much better than stuff like Vectorman or... really, anything else western developers produced during that era. It doesn't feel entirely precise at times, but there's a good flow to the gameplay and a lot of cool ideas in each level that are implemented well.
Even ignoring graphics and sound, Vectorman is a far, far better game than Earthworm Jim! The controls are much better; the level designs are better with tighter, much more fun to navigate designs that also reward you better for exploration; etc. It's not close. Obviously opinion matters a lot here (I love Vectorman! Awesome game.), but for something like controls I think objectively EWJ has issues. It is not a bad game, to be clear, but it's not great either.

Edit: That said, I'm curious how much the version one played of EWJ affects how they feel about it now. I played the Windows 95 version, which was great and had significantly better animation than its console counterparts. Might've made some of the difference.
The first version of EWJ that I owned was also the Win95 version.

First yard sales of the season were this morning, found probably my best find of the year at the second stop. I really don't find much older than PS2 these days, so this was a nice surprise. $4 total:

Anybody else find anything good lately?

The Teen Titans game is surprisingly decent fun.

IrishNinja

glad others are digging Super Bomberman R, it's fun & so glad he's still alive. the recent patch was much needed & that DLC looks fantastic!

yeah $50 feels a bit high but non-first party stuff at launch always drops, or just wait on a B2G1

Even ignoring graphics and sound, Vectorman is a far, far better game than Earthworm Jim! The controls are much better; the level designs are better with tighter, much more fun to navigate designs that also reward you better for exploration; etc. It's not close. Obviously opinion matters a lot here (I love Vectorman! Awesome game.), but for something like controls I think objectively EWJ has issues. It is not a bad game, to be clear, but it's not great either.

Yeah, even as someone who liked EWJ, Vectorman was a lot better.

D.Lo

I vastly prefer Earthwork Jim to Vectorman. EWJ has great art and unique music. VM has generic art (the levels look like every Amiga game ever) and forgettable music. VM is obviously much more technically impressive however.

The cover is silly, but that completely absurd intro text block is even funnier! Unfortunately the game is no good and is the boring kind of bad, not the fun kind, but oh well. I have the game and don't regret getting it at all despite the boring and flawed gameplay, because that intro is amazing and there are worse games out there.

Haha the intro is incredible...Dealy beloved. Other time, other space, people live a damn boring routine life...

Agree that the game isn't that good but enjoyable enough, played far worse!

I vastly prefer Earthwork Jim to Vectorman. EWJ has great art and unique music. VM has generic art (the levels look like every Amiga game ever) and forgettable music. VM is obviously much more technically impressive however.

Hmmm. I can agree that audio/visual wise EWJ at it's best is better then Vectorman (which can also be a style thing), but it is all the gameplay and level design that I think Vecotorman has. Rose colored goggles of renting it from blockbuster over and over as a kid though.

Glowsquid

Damn, that intro is so profound and inspirational. Yes, I am the one!

Speaking of soldering, one of my professors liked to tell us about how in the 80s, when he was working at IBM, they made them wear ties even though soldering was a part of their job. The first thing they had to do when they got in was tuck their ties into their pockets. I wonder how many shirts were set on fire due to stuffy business culture.

Fularu

Banned
This is nonsensical. There's no such thing as "looking like an Amiga game". The graphical diversity of the amiga library dwarfs the Nes, MD, sms, pce and snes ones combined. It has every possible style (from manga to realistic, demoscene like to EA like, from the weirdness if the Psygnosis game and visual design to the cyberpunk/blade runner feel of games like BAT or Shufflepuck.

VM looks a lot more like the product of a team made out of the demo euroscene than anything else.

Yes Boss!

Legit question: what does the "R" stand for on the Hudson games. I was recently playing Star Soldier R and now we have Bomberman R.

I've been thinking about replaying the game Crystallis. Either on NES or the Gameboy Color version, if there is a difference between the two can anyone point them out? My memory is foggy about Crystallis..

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Most of the recent posts in this thread have been meta-commentary regarding moderation policy, which is against the TOS. If you have an issue with moderation, send a PM to the mod staff. The thread will be unlocked in 24 hours and the recent page will be cleared of the offending posts.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ahem, so anyway...

I think I want to buy some PS1 games. I still need to open up the PSOne that I bought like a year and a half ago... and then drop a mod chip in it. I'll get around to it eventually. Might even play some games once I do!

Ahem, so anyway...

I think I want to buy some PS1 games. I still need to open up the PSOne that I bought like a year and a half ago... and then drop a mod chip in it. I'll get around to it eventually. Might even play some games once I do!

Don't be silly. Having the games sit on your shelf is far more enjoyable then actually playing them!

Some PS1 games are rough to go back to if you havnt played them in a few years.

Robin64

Legit question: what does the "R" stand for on the Hudson games. I was recently playing Star Soldier R and now we have Bomberman R.

It's been cited as a few things, even by the devs, but worth noting that Bomberman was registered as "Super Bomberman Rangers".

C7j3UDDWsAADa_7.jpg

dubc35

Don't be silly. Having the games sit on your shelf is far more enjoyable then actually playing them!

Haha whatever you're... *eyes still sealed games sitting in tote* ...yeah ok. Lol

---

I think I might get a Switch when supplies aren't in need of constant searching. I like the portable aspect of it as it's near impossible to sit in front of the TV with a 3yo and 4 month old...and if I do all I get is endless requests for Peppa Pig.

Someday I'll get a PlayStation. Or is just using a PS2 a better choice? I have one of those somewhere. I don't have an rgb cable for it so it might as well not even exist.

Danny Dudekisser

Someday I'll get a PlayStation. Or is just using a PS2 a better choice? I have one of those somewhere. I don't have an rgb cable for it so it might as well not even exist.

I'd recommend an actual PS1, because there's some incompatible games on the PS2, and the later model PS2s (read: the reliable ones) tend to have more issues running certain PS1 games.

Plus, that boot up.

BTails

RGB cable for PS2 will also work with a PS1... I have one cable for both machines! Same power cable too, so you can technically place the PS1 on top of a Phat PS2 and hot swap very easily.

The thread on PS2 disc lenses dying has made me finally want to go down the HDLoader router. I have a phat PS2 (Canadian launch model) whose laser is practically dead. I also have a Free McBoot memory card, and a network adapter.

To me, it looks like the easiest hook up would be IDE 40 pin to 44 pin adapter + 44 pin to SD adapter. I could easily tuck both of those into the HDD bay, and run games from the SD card. I've seen a few mentions of this working on other forums, anyone have any experience using this method?

My PS2 is actually set up for HDLoader. I got it to play the Sega Ages games so it was a requirement. The whole process was such a pain though. I wish there was some other way of going about it. I don't even know where the external drive I was using is anymore. I'm going to pick up a PS2 next time I go to Japan so it's less of a hassle.

Danny Dudekisser

Well, the stuff that's rougher tends to be the action games... I never had much interest in most of those. There's a few like MGS that are pretty timeless, but I'm not tryna go back and play Medieval.

Most of what I play on the PS1 is the RPGs, along with some of the 2D stuff. That's all aged very well, and doesn't much effort to get into.

Top Bottom