• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Science Fiction novels?

silentg

PfW9AmB.jpg

My personal favorite novel by one of the best speculative fiction writer to ever live

And this book is just stunning.

HotHamBoy

I can't say what is the best but I can recommend my favorites:

Dune Series by Frank Herbert - I loved all of Frank Herberts Dune books. It's Sci-Fi's most important saga. Ignore his son Brian's shitty cash-ins

The Zones of Thought Trilogy by Vernor Vinge: A Fire Upon The Deep, A Deepness In The Sky, Children of the Sky - I love these books dearly. Some of my favorite characters (and aliens) in fiction.

Stranger In A Strange Land, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein - "Stranger" is a must-read iconic work of the 20th century

Childhood's End by Arthur C. CLark

Pretty much everything by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

The Stars, My Destination by Alfred Bester - awesome story of a man's obsession with revenge

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman - a not-so-subtle commentary on Vietnam

Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson - brilliant, hilarious, thrilling satire

Neuromancer by William Gibson - unorthodox heist story, foundational cyberpunk novel

The Cadwell Chronicles by Jack Vance: Araminta Station, Ecce and Old Earth, Throy - Just a really fun and jaunty mystery/conspiracy/adventure saga set in humanity's distant future

The Demon Princes series by Jack Vance: Star King, Killing Machine, The Palace of Love, The Face, The Book of Dreams - Again, just really fun, by no means "deep". Another story about a man's life-long quest for revenge but in breezy 200 page episodic tales. In many ways it feels like James Bond in space.

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells -
A short book and an imoortant story for the genre. A classic.

The works of H.P. Lovecraft - generally considered horror but many of his stories equally fall under the Sci-Fi bill and have had big influences on the genre. At The Mountains of Madness being a key story in that regard, it's straight-up science fiction.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
- Comedy-adventure, dry wit, delicious satire. Another classic.

First 3 Dune novels and you can read Foundation from 1 until Foundation & Earth.

Edit: id also recommend the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.

I'm sorry but the latter 3 Dune novels are also excellent and God Emperor of Dune is my favorite book in the series.

Makes me angry that people tell other people not to read them, let folks form their own opinions. I can see why they alienated fans but they are good stories in their own right.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I can't say what is the best but I can recommend my favorites:

Dune Series by Frank Herbert - I loved all of Frank Herberts Dune books. It's Sci-Fi's most important saga. Ignore his son Brian's shitty cash-ins

The Zones of Thought Trilogy by Vernor Vinge: A Fire Upon The Deep, A Deepness In The Sky, Children of the Sky - I love these books dearly. Some of my favorite characters (and aliens) in fiction.

Stranger In A Strange Land, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein - "Stranger" is a must-read iconic work of the 20th century

Childhood's End by Arthur C. CLark

Pretty much everything by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

The Stars, My Destination by Alfred Bester - awesome story of a man's obsession with revenge

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman - a not-so-subtle commentary on Vietnam

Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson - brilliant, hilarious, thrilling satire

Neuromancer by William Gibson - unorthodox heist story, foundational cyberpunk novel

The Cadwell Chronicles by Jack Vance: Araminta Station, Ecce and Old Earth, Throy - Just a really fun and jaunty mystery/conspiracy/adventure saga set in humanity's distant future

The Demon Princes series by Jack Vance: Star King, Killing Machine, The Palace of Love, The Face, The Book of Dreams - Again, just really fun, by no means "deep". Another story about a man's life-long quest for revenge but in breezy 200 page episodic tales. In many ways it feels like James Bond in space.

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells -
A short book and an imoortant story for the genre. A classic.

The works of H.P. Lovecraft - generally considered horror but many of his stories equally fall under the Sci-Fi bill and have had big influences on the genre. At The Mountains of Madness being a key story in that regard, it's straight-up science fiction.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
- Comedy-adventure, dry wit, delicious satire. Another classic.

I'm sorry but the latter 3 Dune novels are also excellent and God Emperor of Dune is my favorite book in the series.

Makes me angry that people tell other people not to read them, let folks form their own opinions. I can see why they alienated fans but they are good stories in their own right.
This is an excellent post. Good all around! 👍

Monocle

Anything and everything of Iain M. Banks. The Culture series is just amazing.

I just finished the Three-Body Problem Trilogy by Cixin Liu, and I can really recommend that too. It can be a bit depressing at times though, haha.

For grand Space Opera, I consider Peter F. Hamilton to be the top of the game. Some of the most enjoyable books I've ever read. They're huge though, so you shouldn't be afraid of books with 500+ pages!

Asimov, Hyperion, etc. have already been mentioned. I also like the Long Earth series by Pratchett (RIP) and Baxter, but it's a bit more playfull in a sense.
This series isn't getting nearly enough attention in this thread.

The Book of The New Sun by Gene Wolfe is a big time investment, but so worth it. Don't you dare ignore the sequel, Urth of the New Sun, though. It does for the rest of the New Sun series what The Silmarillion does for The Lord of the Rings: Makes a great story into an insanely awesome story by turning your perspective on that world upside-down and blowing it wide open.

I don’t think this author has been mentioned yet, but I really liked Gregory benfords galactic center novels when I read them years ago. Not sure how I would receive them as an age adult, but there you go.

Edit: also really liked David brins books as a high schooler. Uplift series. earth, the postman etc.

Ringworld, Solaris, Red Mars, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Forge of God, The Dispossessed, Left Hand of Darkness, Hyperion, The Stars My Destination, Use of Weapons, A Fire Upon the Deep, Neuromancer, Ancillary Justice, A Case of Conscience, Stand on Zanzibar, To Your Scattered Bodies Go, Gateway, Startide Rising, Shards of Honor, To Say Nothing of the Dog.

Most of these are Hugo winners. Some are Hugo/Nebula winners.

Good choices, have read most. Ringworld was one of the first and still leaves a lasting impression. Great book. Some fun books are the agent Cormac series by Neil Asher.

Mobius 1

The lack of Dune here is really disappointing. MOAR DUNE.

The first book is a masterpiece, the 2nd and 3rd are great. I personally enjoy the 4th a lot, but it's a deliberate change of style and not everyone likes it and the following sequels.

Avoid Brian Herbert's garbage sequels and prequels at all costs, he should be ashamed of what he did with his father's legacy.

Foundation trilogy. Don't bother with any of the other Foundation books.

I disagree.

While the "original" trilogy is indeed amazing and pretty much perfect, the other books that appeared later are super interesting as well.

I'll go even further to state both Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation are masterpieces too, at the same level of the trilogy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Read The Culture novels by Ian Banks. I would actually start with Matter or Surface Detail (there's only very minor background continuity between novels) and if either of them grab you go back to the beginning and read them all

You can't go wrong with anything by Alastair Reynolds either

owasog

Some of the things I've read and actually remember being good:

Frank Herbert: The original six Dune novels.
John Wyndham: The Chrysalids, Chocky and Day of the Triffids
Poul Anderson: Brain Wave, Corridors of Time
Ursula Le Guin: The Lathe of Heaven
Arthur C. Clarke / Stephen Baxter: The Light of Other Days
Isaac Asimov: The End of Eternity, The Gods Themselves
Greg Bear: Eon, Eternity
Daniel Galouye: Simulacron-3
David Gerrold: The Man Who Folded Himself
Frederic Brown: all his short stories are amazing.

Never read a science fiction novel?

Man, you got a good two centuries to catch up on (if we're counting as far back as Frankenstein)

I'd recommend:
- Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
- Hyperion by Dan Simmons
- Foundation by Isaac Asimov
- The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin
- The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
- Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky bros
- Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan
- When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger
- Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

This list is aces!

I enjoyed the Red Rising trilogy.

Not really 'pure' science fiction, but Jeff Vandermeer's Southern Reach trilogy, and his recent Bourne, are very interesting stories. (I like all Vandermeer's stuff. City of Saints and Madmen is a fave)

OP, if you want more pulpy stuff, Neal Asher's Cormac series is all right. Some neat ideas.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My favorites are:

Dune
Altered Carbon
Ender's Game
The Forever War
Hyperion Cantos

The ones I thought were just alright:

Neuromancer
Cat's Cradle
The Book of the New Sun

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Otherland by Tad Williams is fantastic and I recommend it to anyone who wants to dabble in near-future fiction and how the internet and virtual reality can warp your sense of reality. Can’t recommend it high enough.

Jedi2016

I'm a Clarke man myself. Rendezvous with Rama is probably my favorite book by any author, Childhood's End is a close second in sci-fi.

Ivellios

Subscribed this thread, the closest thing i ever read about sci fi were some Warhammer 40k novels.

Thanks for all these recommendations!

Anything by Octavia Butler, but especially Lilith's Brood.

Thank you. I was wondering when someone else would rep Octavia. I might need to check out Octavia again, I was trying to avoid her so I can experience other authors. I can't seem to like anyone other than her and J.K. Rowling.

I'm a Clarke man myself. Rendezvous with Rama is probably my favorite book by any author, Childhood's End is a close second in sci-fi.
I really liked the slow cautious exploration of the first half of Redezvous; the second half felt faster-paced and more plot-focused compared to the awe and wonder and descriptions of the first

I forgot to recommend something in my previous post, my bad.

Ted Chiang - The Stories of Your Life and Others

This book is a compilation of short stories by Chiang and while some of them I found them to be just ok, there are two of them that are absolute masterpieces.

The Story of Your Life, which Arrival movie is based on, and as you probably are correctly guessing, it's much much more better than the movie.

Understand, it's about a guy that suffer an accident and receives a experimental drug that end transforming him in a semi-god, but other extremely interesting stuff begin to happen. It's the kind of tale that once you start reading it, you just can't stop until you finish it.

OP please do not read Arthur C Clarke. He's even worse than Asimov. Both are extremely boring. Do not read Richard Morgan either. He writes terrible books.

Certainly read Philip K. Dick. Now that is more interesting and there is a reason they are making movies and tv shows based off his books. His works have stood the test of time, and deal with far more interesting themes and concepts.

And for a truly brilliant sci fi book read this

gun-for-blog.jpg

sans_pants

avec_pénis
anything by the strugatsky bros - roadside picnic and hard to be a god are my favorites
anything by stanislaw lem - solaris of course but also fiasco and the invincible
neal stephenson - the diamond age and snow crash
roger zelazny - lord of light
alfred bester - the stars my destination and the demolished man
theodore sturgeon - more than human

then just any classic that hooks you with the synopsis

choodi

Banned
Came to post the following and was soundly beaten:

Rendezvous with Rama
Foundation series
Forever War
Hyperion
Ringworld

I found the Three-Body Problem rather boring though.

Actually, I just remembered the novel that put me on the sci-fi tip: Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

Hopefully OP hasn't seen the enjoyable B-movie take on it from the mid 90s.

wamberz1

Reading through Three Body Problem now and once you get past the really, really weird pacing it's very good. Almost done and gotta pick up the next one.

Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon. Not a traditional "story," basically a series of elaborate descriptions starting with life on other planets and increasing in scale from there. Incredibly imaginative and even more impressive given that it was written in the 1930's.

Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon. Not a traditional "story," basically a series of elaborate descriptions starting with life on other planets and increasing in scale from there. Incredibly imaginative and even more impressive given that it was written in the 1930's.
His book Last and First Men is just as impressive and ambitious too. He explores genetic engineering in the book's later civilizations, twenty years before the term "genetic engineering" even existed

I just finished The Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin and found it to be a unique and interesting world and a relatively fast read. Also one of the few instances of second-person narration that ends up adding to the experience.

Well, that's like your opinion... man.

True but its the correct one.

Arthur C Clarke is a paedophile first of all. And he looks like a disgusting creep too. You should not be reading the works of a child rapist. Especially when they are also boring.

And there's a reason his popularity along with Assimov has waned while Philip K. Dicks has dramatically increased. The concerns of Arthur C Clarke and Assimov were boring or irrelevant, compared to Philip K. Dicks dealing with issues like advertisement, memory and identity.

Trust me on this. Read this book. It's better than almost any other sci fi book you have read. Its written by one of the greatest American writers of our lifetime. Perhaps the greatest.
Gun_wOccasional_Music.jpg

sans_pants

avec_pénis

Arthur C Clarke is a paedophile first of all. And he looks like a disgusting creep too. You should not be reading the works of a child rapist. Especially when they are also boring.

And there's a reason his popularity along with Assimov has waned while Philip K. Dicks has dramatically increased. The concerns of Arthur C Clarke and Assimov were boring or irrelevant, compared to Philip K. Dicks dealing with issues like advertisement, memory and identity.

Trust me on this. Read this book. It's better than almost any other sci fi book you have read. Its written by one of the greatest American writers of our lifetime. Perhaps the greatest.

thats not how opinions work

besada

Banned

This post is full of bad information. I like Jonathan Lethem, but his science fiction is largely a pastiche of other writers, and nowhere near either his best work or the best science fiction has to offer.

Regardless, you made your point the first time. There's no need to keep spamming your opinion.

BTails

Some excellent recommendations here. Props to everyone who’s recommended Alfred Bester: The Stars my Destination and The Demolished Man are both stone cold classics.

I’ve read a lot of Heinlein, but probably my favourite of his that seems to go forgotten is The Door into Summer. It’s a bit preposterous at times, and a bit sappy, but man if it doesn’t just fit together like a puzzle. I always want to reread it as soon as I finish.

Finally, for some good pulpy space opera, you can’t go wrong with the Deathstalker books by Simon R Green. They’re not Hugo-Award winning or anything, but if you want something tha could be easily described as “Gritty, Amped-up Star Wars”, you’re in for a treat.

I'd recommend pretty obvious stuff :

- Red/Green/Blue Mars - these are my favorite SF books
- Neuromancer / Sprawl trilogy
- Mote in God's Eye
- Cat's Cradle
- Use of Weapons
- Player of Games
- Heart of the Comet
- Eon
- Rendezvous with Rama
- Childhood's End
- first couple of Foundation books
- Dune
- The Stars My Destination
- Stranger in a Strange Land
- Starship Troopers
- Forever War
- Expanse books
- Diamond Age
- the 5 or so short story collections of Philip K.Dick are awesome
- Altered Carbon
- Hamilton's Commonweatlh books are decent
- Only Ellison I've read is the short story collection Approaching Oblivion and its great.

This thread reminds me I have never read A Fire Upon the Deep nor Hyperion. I need to rectify those!

Also on the related to SF but nonfiction front - I have old hardcover copies of Clarke's Exploration of Space and the Promise of Space, which i highly recommend for the time travel factor when reading. The time & knowledge gap between those books is fascinating, let alone the gap from Promise of Space to the present day.

Dervius

Blindsight by Peter Watts. Rock hard sci-fi. Bleak as hell but very well-written. Great alien designs, vampires, transhumans and mind-blowing science about consciousness.

If you believe in free will, this book will rip that belief to shreds.

So much tbis, and it's sequel, Echopraxia.

Truant

I'll throw a shoutout to one of my recent favorites from the last few years:

Blindsight by Peter Watts

Best dressing down of the "consciousness vs intelligence" dichotomy in narrative form I've ever read. Features also: future vampires (not as cringy as you think), terraforming superjovians, and non-human alien intelligence that is both frighteningly intelligent and wholly non-conscious.

Author is a former marine biologist and treats space as just another great ocean.

Highly recommended.

Reading this now. Only a few chapters in, but very good so far. The vampire thing keeps throwing me off, though.

sasliquid

My Fav is Iain M Banks' The Player of Games, which the second in the culture series but a good jumping off point.

The third one Use of Weapons, is almost as good

Zackat

Anathem
The Baroque Cycle
Snow Crash
WOOL
Dune
Foundation trilogy
Eisenhorn trilogy

Just ones I have enjoyed over the years. Lots of good suggestions in here.

moojito

Came to suggest speaker for the dead/ender's game and Commonwealth saga, but beaten like a mangy dog by book-gaf.

Would also suggest subscribing to the "what are you reading?" threads if you get into it. Loads of good suggestions pop up in there.

Koren

If you like Sci-fi universes, I'm fond of Peter F Hamilton works, and also Vorkosigan series for Mc Master Bujold.

And Dune will always be a high for me (books from *Frank* Herbert)

About this...
Frank Herbert - Dune (Yes, OP, go read Dune. Don't touch any of Brian Herbert's books though).
Well, for a huge fan, it's hard... in those books, you have a glimpse of some of Frank Herbert ideas, and at the same time you wish he was the one writing about them. I don't really enjoy the books, but I still want to read them somehow... Hard to explain.

Though
the Atreid / Harkonnen twist was welcome, at the very least

Foundation trilogy. Don't bother with any of the other Foundation books.
I think the prequel are interesting, but AFTER the first three Fundations books. And indeed, the last two are disappointing.

But there's another thing I like related to Foundation: the "Foundations" books NOT written by Asimov but by the "Bs". I found interesting the way they tried to make the whole thing work, especially the very end of Foundation (which doesn't really make sense).

In fact, I love Asimov, but I think it's REALLY better with shorts than with novels.

Top Bottom