• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Sweet Jeebus you're a beast Skilletor! The 3rd and 4th round were just brutal to watch.

I obtained the platinum this morning.
Dem losses

dtr100percent.jpg

I remember playing Soul Calibur IV for maybe 20 hours or so and just going back to it every now and then for a match or two, but Soul Calibur V? The game is in a completely different league than IV. I just can't get enough. I'm sure I'll be popping this in for years to come. Is SCV the best SC since II? Fuck no. It's the best SC period. Holla!

What's even more ridiculous is that even with all that play time I still haven't used/selected half of the roster yet, so there will definitely be many many more hours of fun to be had.

mr_boo

You can fully block a Break Attack even if your guard meter is in the yellow or early red. It takes a deceiving amount to guard crush someone even when they're flashing red I find. It gets them to play more offensive regardless and hold block less.

I think the quicker BA's like Leixia's and Patroklos' are just frame traps. Follow-up AA's aren't guaranteed unless the opponent tries to counter immediately after your BA.

The longer animation BA's though can usually be followed by a guaranteed punisher. Pyrrha's 11AA break attack can be immediately followed by her 236B stab for example. But her break attack is ridiculously slow with shit range. It's essentially nerfed too since the same move used to be an unblockable with better range.
Thx for the details. Good to know all this stuff, especially for me (SC noob). I think Hilde's BA 88B (not sure if this notation is right, but meant "Up, Up+B") is particularly mean ... side step range attack that allows for a follow-up CE.

Game's been really fun, though I haven't taken my game online too much. I'm treating it much like Tekken in the sense that I think I'll need to get to know a little bit of everyone in order to figure out how to defend. It's kinda chore, but every single character is new to me.

sephi22

OMFG No one told me this game has a fucking REPLAY EXPORT feature.
As you know the game logs your last 10 or so online games under the replay menu, and you get to save them permanently or upload them online. But I didn't know that once you save a replay, you can export it to the PS3 XMB.

PyIZ2.jpg

The game plays back the replay for you, and you can skip rounds, etc. Whatever you do gets recorded.

0VIzp.jpg

However, it doesn't record the names of the players who are playing, and only records in 360p. Still, its a great feature for those who don't own capture cards (me). This game just keeps on giving.

The result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6OF2Jm4cU&feature=youtu.be

RUSHED!!!

Roto13

Sweet Jeebus you're a beast Skilletor! The 3rd and 4th round were just brutal to watch.

I obtained the platinum this morning.
Dem losses

dtr100percent.jpg

I remember playing Soul Calibur IV for maybe 20 hours or so and just going back to it every now and then for a match or two, but Soul Calibur V? The game is in a completely different league than IV. I just can't get enough. I'm sure I'll be popping this in for years to come. Is SCV the best SC since II? Fuck no. It's the best SC period. Holla!

What's even more ridiculous is that even with all that play time I still haven't used/selected half of the roster yet, so there will definitely be many many more hours of fun to be had.

Congrats. :p You should be able to answer my question.

I'm at rank D5 and I didn't get any rank points when I lost to someone ranked E1. Will I just not ever get rank points for losing any more, or is that only because he was a lower letter grade than me?

Congrats. :p You should be able to answer my question.

I'm at rank D5 and I didn't get any rank points when I lost to someone ranked E1. Will I just not ever get rank points for losing any more, or is that only because he was a lower letter grade than me?

Thank you.

Once you reach rank D5 you will continue to lose points until you win. It works that way from rank D5 and up. When you win a match you win more points than when you lose, so as long as you win at least a few times in your play session you should still be able to rank up.

Roto13

Thank you.

Once you reach rank D5 you will continue to lose points until you win. It works that way from rank D5 and up. You win more points then you lose though so as long as you win at least a few times in your play session you should still be able to rank up.

Bah. :p Maybe I won't bother going for that trophy. My win rate in ranked is about 50/50 so I can probably do it but I don't know if I can be assed. Thanks.

As you know the game logs your last 10 or so online games under the replay menu, and you get to save them permanently or upload them online. But I didn't know that once you save a replay, you can export it to the PS3 XMB.

PyIZ2.jpg

The game plays back the replay for you, and you can skip rounds, etc. Whatever you do gets recorded.

0VIzp.jpg

However, it doesn't record the names of the players who are playing, and only records in 360p. Still, its a great feature for those who don't own capture cards (me). This game just keeps on giving.

The result:

RUSHED!!!
That's a really neat feature. Damn, I wish more games had that.

Ferrio

Banned
I think you have to unlock that feature. I remember once I got to a high enough player ranking or something it said export feature had been unlocked...

sephi22

I think you have to unlock that feature. I remember once I got to a high enough player ranking or something it said export feature had been unlocked...
Oh ok. I just turned level 17. But this is also the first time I accessed the replay menu.

Roto13

Sometimes in the main menu, it pops up as a random tip where the level up info also pops up.

Also why have there been so few replays posted in this thread?

jmdajr

There was an achievement for uploading video and I for the life of me couldn't figure out how to do it.

I also couldn't figure out how to edit my player license. Luckily I eventually found out I just had to press start.

Ferrio

Banned
Sometimes in the main menu, it pops up as a random tip where the level up info also pops up.

Also why have there been so few replays posted in this thread?

Ah, okay maybe that's what it was. It appears as the same window as unlocks.

I'll try and snag some replays of PSN gaf tonight.

Noaloha

For my fellow xbox plebes, the upload feature is waaaay more lacklustre. You can upload your own saved matches to your profile. Go into Replays in the Xbox Live menu. First, you need to pull matches from the Battle Log section (it keeps a temporary save of your last ten online battles). Select one and save it to your My Battles list. Once you have something their you can then selct Upload and it'll... do something. What happens is that it pins that replay to a list that other players can access whenever they view your profile card. And by 'access', I mean download to the Other Player's Battles list in the Replay menu to view once you return to that mode. And.. that's pretty much it.

Unlike on the PS3, there's no operating system level 'upload video file to your HDD' functionality at all. Sadface. Just like there's no 'upload picture file to your HDD' option either in the CaS screenshot mode. Double sadface.

sephi22

For my fellow xbox plebes, the upload feature is waaaay more lacklustre. You can upload your own saved matches to your profile. Go into Replays in the Xbox Live menu. First, you need to pull matches from the Battle Log section (it keeps a temporary save of your last ten online battles). Select one and save it to your My Battles list. Once you have something their you can then selct Upload and it'll... do something. What happens is that it pins that replay to a list that other players can access whenever they view your profile card. And by 'access', I mean download to the Other Player's Battles list in the Replay menu to view once you return to that mode. And.. that's pretty much it.
Exactly how the PS3 replay theater works, except for the added export feature.

So for PSN does it upload to youtube, or do you have to save it to your PS3 and transfer->upload.
The latter. I like it this way as you can edit, add voiceover,etc.

NVM, thanks Toodles. Sucks since my friends have hilarious custom creations.....on XBL.

They could still get capture cards and use those to record.

I feel reviews these days really drop the ball in telling you the differences among different platforms.

Well, typically games are only reviewed on the lead platform. Biggest example is Skyrim. PS3 backlash was so huge because Betashed didn't even send out review copies of the broken PS3 version.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the info on uploading replays, guys. I added a little FAQ section to the OP... Let me know if I got anything wrong or if you can find posts of GAFfer's online/netcode impressions so I can quote 'em there.

The Soulful Adventures of Zhi and Shen Yuan Ep. 1!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEV4xuAEwQk
Thanks for the heads up! Everyone's got a crush on Kayane, lol. Hope to see more of the SG Calibur scene in future episodes, they're a great community.

PyIZ2.jpg

0VIzp.jpg

The result:

RUSHED!!!

I have several questions:

1. How do you create a replay?
2. Where do you go to play back the replay?
3. How do you export?

sleepykyo

I trained JG'ing last night, and it was VERY easy, after getting the timing down on an attack, I could do it 15 times out of 20 easily.

The key is this: you have to RELEASE the G before the attack connects.

Thanks. Went from 1 out of 20 to 5 out of 20. Still a long way off from using it in a match, but none the less a large improvement.

sephi22

@radiantdreamer:
1. The game keeps track of your last 10 online battles. These are stored temporarily in your battle log and keep getting refreshed as you play. Works like ssf4
2. Go to playstation network/live menu and select replay
3. On ps3, save one of your replays in battle log. Then, move over to the saved replays tab and press start to export

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can someone on 360 confirm if it has replay export or not? I doubt it 99% but just to be sure.

That feature is fucking awesome, why wasn't that publicized a ton?

EDIT: NVM I found Toodles' post.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Can someone on 360 confirm if it has replay export or not? I doubt it 99% but just to be sure.

That feature is fucking awesome, why wasn't that publicized a ton?

You can save the replays, but the youtube porting is a XMB feature as I understand it. So that's PS exclusive til MS adds in some kind of similar youtube functionality with the 360.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I would like to know if there is a reason developers continuously ignore offline replays. It really, really pisses me off.
This.

God.

Damnit.

SSFIV did this too. I'm not usually a pessimist but FFS, gaming slowly neglecting local play and features or keeping them as an afterthought is the worst part of this gen by far. If Even fighting games are neglecting local multiplayer, you know shit is bad. At least SFxTK has the right idea when it comes to catering to the local multiplayer side of things, going as far as negotiating with first parties to figure out a way to bring gem loadouts with you (Tournament patch). But I bet they still don't have local replay functionality. NO EXCUSE.

Top Bottom