• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

EvaristeG

Banned
I just beat the game. Don't know how much it took me, but it was short, even though I found most of the secrets on my first playthrough. It just a great game though, charming, well crafted, with great platforming sections and a very good use of Vita's abilities (except from some annoying gimmicks here and here) Music and sound design were also remarkable.

However, the short length, lack of challenge and uninteresting side missions prevent it from being a system seller or even the best game on the system. It is a must buy for anybody who owns it though. Even if you don't like the genre. I'm surprised myself as I didn't like any LBP games, but MM delivered with this one.

soultron

Banned
Gaf, I'm in Japan on a holiday with the girlfriend. I'm currently playing Gravity Rush during any downtime (thanks, PS+), but I have Tearaway downloaded as of a few days ago and I am busting to play it. My dilemma is that I feel this game could be quite the special experience and my brain is telling me to wait to play it completely unencumbered by anything and everything, i.e. not on a noisy train/plane, or with time constraints looming over my head, etc.

What say you?

Wait until you have no time constraints and a quiet environment. Wear headphones when you play as well; the music is fantastic.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Gaf, I'm in Japan on a holiday with the girlfriend. I'm currently playing Gravity Rush during any downtime (thanks, PS+), but I have Tearaway downloaded as of a few days ago and I am busting to play it. My dilemma is that I feel this game could be quite the special experience and my brain is telling me to wait to play it completely unencumbered by anything and everything, i.e. not on a noisy train/plane, or with time constraints looming over my head, etc.

What say you?

From my experience Tearaway does not live off its gameplay that much, but its incredibly charming presentation, not only in regards to graphics, but also sound. Moreover, you will be taking photos while playing, this can be super-uncomfortable when playing on trains. I would strongly advice to play this game at home. Also it's super-short, so just dedicate one half day to it and you're done anyway. No "need" to play it on the go ;).

I played the demo last night (seems you have to search for it in the US store) and that was a mistake. My copy won't be here til Tuesday.

THE SQUIRREL, OMG

The cuteness overload...

b33cd8242dd8c6fe6f2cbdf9850baef151054eb6.jpg

The instagram filters are awesome

Skyzard

Banned
^ enjoy :) you're still way ahead of the majority

From my experience Tearaway does not live off its gameplay that much, but its incredibly charming presentation, not only in regards to graphics, but also sound. Moreover, you will be taking photos while playing, this can be super-uncomfortable when playing on trains. I would strongly advice to play this game at home. Also it's super-short, so just dedicate one half day to it and you're done anyway. No "need" to play it on the go ;).

For when you're feeling a bit lazy or if someone is playing this outside, you can swing the camera about with the thumb-stick too but it's still motion controlled for aligning it.

b33cd8242dd8c6fe6f2cbdf9850baef151054eb6.jpg

The instagram filters are awesome

edf9ae07454793f4418549478fc964b183e4c9b0.jpg

The squirrels are the cutest.

-you know I just realised they weren't the same animal, damn that took me ages! even when people were talking about gofers I was thinking, we call them squirrels in the UK :p

lol donkey show

Elvick

Banned
Got the platinum. :3 The two levels I had left to do without dying were shorter than I remember, or maybe I was just so nervous of falling off the edge that I didn't notice time.

Scrapped glitched on me though. I got 100% of the scraps killed, got the Stamp Completionist trophy without Scrapped. :/

But, after killing a few scraps it popped and I got my platinum.

Zemm

Finally got my code for the soundtrack. The Bonus song "Sogport Song" is incredible and the stand out in a really brilliant soundtrack.

Foshy

i tried, gaf

Printer was running low on ink so the colors came out kinda funny, lol. Took me about half an hour to build it, haven't done such a thing in years. Was really satisfying whenit was done though :)

soultron

Banned
Question: how is everyone making the awesome character skins? Are you going to the points in the game where someone asks you to make an object with the paper+scissors (crown, pumpkin, etc.) and using all of those opportunities to make all of the components required?

Skyzard

Banned
Question: how is everyone making the awesome character skins? Are you going to the points in the game where someone asks you to make an object with the paper+scissors (crown, pumpkin, etc.) and using all of those opportunities to make all of the components required?

Start the customisation (hold the the character). On the left you can click the +and scissor icon to open up the things you've made and then click the plus on the right to make a new one, iirc.

soultron

Banned
Start the customisation (hold the the character). On the left you can click the +and scissor icon to open up the things you've made and then click the plus on the right to make a new one, iirc.

#gamechanger.

Totally missed out on that. Cool, thanks! Master Onion comin' up.

I'm finding it difficult to resize scraps when customizing my character. I'm using pinch and pull gestures like I would on an iPhone when zooming in and out. Am I doing it wrong?

whoa. Didn't know about this.

Bluforce

It seems that Zavvi has shipped to me the PS Vita bundle instead of Tearaway. They just sent me the email to return the wrong product.

But I still have not received anything (I do not live in UK, and shipping from Zavvi may also be two or more weeks). I don't know what to do right now.

I'm finding it difficult to resize scraps when customizing my character. I'm using pinch and pull gestures like I would on an iPhone when zooming in and out. Am I doing it wrong?

whoa. Didn't know about this.

It's pinching like on a phone, but I've found that as long as your first finger is on the right piece your other pinch finger can start from any other point on the screen. In other words, both fingers don't have to be on the piece.

i tried, gaf

Printer was running low on ink so the colors came out kinda funny, lol. Took me about half an hour to build it, haven't done such a thing in years. Was really satisfying whenit was done though :)

Good job! I was just about to ask if anybody here had tried the real-life papercraft. I think if I was a kid I would be ALL OVER that, but I'm a tired old man now :p I just love the singular commitment this game makes to papercraft.

I'm a bit confused about what exactly this Extra Things To Do in
The Desert
wants me to do.

It says it wants me to wear a skull and bones. I made a skull to put on Iota's face and I've tried individual bones on each of the limbs as well as one crossbone on the chest, but neither of these seem to work. Anyone find a solution that worked for this?

soultron

Banned
I'm a bit confused about what exactly this Extra Things To Do in
The Desert
wants me to do.

It says it wants me to wear a skull and bones. I made a skull to put on Iota's face and I've tried individual bones on each of the limbs as well as one crossbone on the chest, but neither of these seem to work. Anyone find a solution that worked for this?

Red skull plus single bone worked for me. I think the white skull-like face is actually a Wendigo.

Anyone know if the soundtrack will be available for purchase later? I would love to buy it.

Good job! I was just about to ask if anybody here had tried the real-life papercraft. I think if I was a kid I would be ALL OVER that, but I'm a tired old man now :p I just love the singular commitment this game makes to papercraft.

I've tried and it's pretty relaxing. My advice is to get some thick(ish) card stock since it helps things stand up better, and in general makes things a lot easier as opposed to using thinner paper.

I plan on making this Crazy Taxi papercraft soon...
crazy-taxi-300x148.jpg

Faustek

So just finished this game. It was wonderful. I could rail on about what I loved about the game, which vita specific functions that were done well etc but instead I will just say one thing I think the majority of GAF might actually have missed and I say this without being sarcastic(I don't blame you if you did and cherish you more if you didn't).

Thank you Media Molecule for adding brown people support. Thank you.

I'm missing two scraps in The Caverns. Any idea which I might be missing? I've played that chapter four times now and I can't find them for the life of me.

soultron

Banned
I'm missing two scraps in The Caverns. Any idea which I might be missing? I've played that chapter four times now and I can't find them for the life of me.

I'd say be careful in combat since I've seen a few scraps get caught behind collisions where I couldn't get them. They can get lost in the chaos pretty easily.

I'd say be careful in combat since I've seen a few scraps get caught behind collisions where I couldn't get them. They can get lost in the chaos pretty easily.

I've found them. They were at the very, very beginning of the level right in front of me after I hit the ground...suddenly...somehow. I swear to god they have never been there in my other attempts to find them. Super weird and kinda frustrating.

Anyway...

cjkdcw1a559zcnd3g.jpg

Sky Chief

This game is so good I was thinking today that now I will always have to keep my Vita because when I have kids one day I want them to be able to play it, lol!

It's kind of sad because this is the first game since launch that really used all the Vita's unique features and really proves how amazing and fun the hardware is and can be.

Also, I made a squirrel papercraft at lunch today, it is fucking awesome!

soultron

Banned
Yeah I wish we could just download stuff from Tearaway.me since there's zero chance I make anything that doesn't look like a kindergartener did it.

It'd be awesome if that made it into the game, yeah! It'd be wicked to share user-generated content in-game.

Peff

Finished it too. What a fantastic game. I do wish it were a little longer, but hopefully they can solve that by releasing a bunch of fantasy obstacle course DLC like Mario Sunshine, because I think the mechanics have a surprising amount of potential and it was starting to show towards the end of the game. Really nice surprise overall though, and it's funny how the extent of its use of the Vita even covers the OLED
when the colours come back before going into the rocket

Qassim

This is not only the best looking handheld game I have ever played (brilliant from a technical and artistic perspective), it is one of the best looking games I have played regardless of platform.

The game plays brilliantly and oozes charm. Such an amazing game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
you know I just realised they weren't the same animal, damn that took me ages! even when people were talking about gofers I was thinking, we call them squirrels in the UK :p

Lol, when you Google image search "gopher" it seems some people are just as confused as you were ;) Cute photo regardless!

I couldn't help it when it asked me to make a crown for the first time, lol.

376262c853f3c5398c72865023d92788ed5050f1.jpg

And this is just sublime. I haven't been too crafty on my first playthrough, but been busy taking photos. If anyone would like to share albums, mine's here:
http://tearaway.me/u/B-Genius

Some choice samples:
I fashioned a monacle. For science!
fd633e7777fe9834ea3f336510a744d72ec57356.jpg

A gopher riding an elk made out of Shinkansen seat cover.
e1862e75228b3ab9c27207f492a24f5869c43cc4.jpg

Quite pleased with this Wendigo shot.
2a760afdaeebfe518d858400858dcfdc6657fd77.jpg

The lighthouse.
afbc67daf4fa25b79a697cf686c53dafb4bebbab.jpg

Tried to make the pumpkin as terrifying as possible.
71bab203882dbaea12fbe00e3d3645ce927af8b9.jpg

Edit: Roubjon that is amazing. I wish there was a way to share parts and outfits you've made.

Lijik

Took advantage of the best buy deal on the way home from work and now I get to stare longingly at the case for another week or two until I actually get a vita.

i love seeing everyones custom characters!!!

Roubjon

Howly shiat dude. That one is badass. So chunky and clean and nice!

I have the biggest problem drawing because I can't ever see the lines I'm making. My finger/hand is always in the way. Any tips man?

TripOpt55

Are you guys using your fingers to draw all this stuff and cut it out? I'm seriously amazed by the work you guys are posting in here. I get all frustrated just trying to make something smaller... haha.

Top Bottom