• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one power supply spec, and size comparison

It's 215W (12V) + 5W (5V), or 220W in total. Kinect draws its from the system AFAIK.

From this graph here for a 900W PSU (Timedog posted it before)

eff-comparison.png

You can see it's most efficient at 475-650W, or 50-70% load. So somewhere around 120-140W is most likely (including Kinect) considering the parts inside.

That's PSU specific.
Most (if not all) modern PSU are built to be efficient at higher wattage (80bronze/silver/gold certification, for example, accounts for low,mid and high loads).
Here, that's a gold 80 PSU, it's almost always 80%+ efficient.

Metfanant

I tend to be a Sony supporter in the console world, but I own all three current gen consoles and will own a PS4 and an Xbone this time around... Frankly the power brick is the last of my concerns and it's completely a non issue...just like with my 360 it will sit just off to the side of the console and mind it's own business...not interfering one bit in my ability to enjoy gaming...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
That's PSU specific.
Most (if not all) modern PSU are built to be efficient at higher wattage (80bronze/silver/gold certification, for example, accounts for low,mid and high loads).
Here, that's a gold 80 PSU, it's almost always 80%+ efficient.

I'd like to see evidence of this. All I've ever heard is that most power supplies are more efficient in the mid range, and most of the specs I've seen have confirmed this, I've built multiple desktops around this, but I'm willing to be swayed with actual evidence.

Regardless I think the idea that Microsoft engineers didn't think about efficiency, heat (which is a function of efficiency), and longevity (which is a function of efficiency and heat) is pretty lolworthy. But more info regarding efficiency in PSU's is always good, so if you have some, please post it.

TrueGrime

I tend to be a Sony supporter in the console world, but I own all three current gen consoles and will own a PS4 and an Xbone this time around... Frankly the power brick is the last of my concerns and it's completely a non issue...just like with my 360 it will sit just off to the side of the console and mind it's own business...not interfering one bit in my ability to enjoy gaming...

Thank god there are still people in these forums with enough common sense to see this is a non-issue.

Just all the majority of the people consider the blue light at the end of the DS4 controller to be a non-issue in that forum thread.

Much ado about nothing.

Apath

Not including the power supply as built in for the sake of the customer (ease of replacement) is complete and utter bullshit.

They do it so that when it breaks, it's only covered by the 90-day "accessory" warranty and not the full hardware warranty. Because power supplies are just accessories to the system, right?

Thank god there are still people in these forums with enough common sense to see this is a non-issue.

Just all the majority of the people consider the blue light at the end of the DS4 controller to be a non-issue in that forum thread.

Much ado about nothing.
I've had two 360 power supplies (one launch unit power supply failure, on 360S failure) -- having to cough up $40 to replace them because they only have a 90-day warranty isn't a "non-issue". Is it the worst thing in the world? Of course not. But it's just another way they're fucking the customer over.

Fantasmo

I've been hating the Xbox One since day 1 due to Microsoft's vision of the future but this is nothing but a good thing. I'd rather replace a brick than the whole system. Better heat dissipation, less noise, and cheap quick replacement if necessary is both smart and good.

These things very rarely break under normal use.

Guymelef

Like this?

PS3interior.jpg

The cooling requirements for the PS4 are higher than the PS3 but not unmanageably so. It's likely going to be louder than the XB1 though, which MS has said is almost completely silent at all times (part of the reason for the unnecessarily huge fan).

Why should be?, PS3 slim has a Cell and a RSX each of them probably bigger than PS4 GPCPU.

TrueGrime

Not including the power supply as built in for the sake of the customer (ease of replacement) is complete and utter bullshit.

They do it so that when it breaks, it's only covered by the 90-day "accessory" warranty and not the full hardware warranty. Because power supplies are just accessories to the system, right?

No one I've known has ever had problems with their power supply for the 360. Myself included. However, I'd rather have to replace that singular component than have to give up my entire system to get fixed or worse, have the power supply sitting next to more important parts internally fucking other things up.

TheContact

here from xbox one dev

I can maybe understand the first points, but the reasoning for using batteries in the controller they say is because if it was internally charged then you would have to plug it in to charge then it's no longer wireless? Is that a joke?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I can't wait for someone to tear apart the PS4 so we can compare both systems' internals. I really want to know how Sony managed to build a more powerful system that's smaller with an internal power supply.

Internal power supplies always scare me... one of my screens is on its 3rd power supply... thank god it was external!!!

TrueGrime

Internal power supplies always scare me... one of my screens is on its 3rd power supply... thank god it was external!!!

It's crazy some people think that having an external power supply is so bad. If it breaks, just get a new one. Internally..? Well.. that's a tricky thing entirely.

Truespeed

Dear lord, they're actually making the case for the benefits of an external power brick. This is a new low. I wonder how many transistors it has.

Truespeed

How is it a new low? The benefits are quite clear.

People don't want another brick to hide behind the TV or trip over. Power supply problems are very rare and I've never had an internal one fail on me nor has it ever been a problem in the PS3. It's 2013 and they still haven't figured out how to put a power supply into a console without blowing their thermal budget.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I had some issues the last time round with the power brick because I needed to fit it through a small opening at the back of my tv cabinet (to pass the cables through to reach my tv), and it didn't fit. I like that sony makes it internal so I don't need to worry about it.

TrueGrime

People don't want another brick to hide behind the TV or trip over. Power supply problems are very rare and I've never had an internal one fail on me nor has it ever been a problem in the PS3. It's 2013 and they still haven't figured out how to put a power supply into a console without blowing their thermal budget.

Because hiding the brick behind my TV with the other dozen plugs, powercords, and adapters that I will forget about the moment I plug it in is something to get up in arms about? If it is, we're really finding new ways to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

srd4484

Banned

Who cares? I never see my PSU from the 360.

Iacobellis

Sony has a long engineering history and they have amazing engineers. That's one of their core competencies. MS has been a software company for ages. They're relatively new to hardware.

I wouldn't classify 15 or so years as being relatively new. Apple is only about half as old as Sony, yet their products are just as incredible.

skdoo

Banned
We'll with the Kinect, large size, and huge power brick you won't be lugging it anywhere. No taking it to a friend's house. It will stay in your entertainment center because it is too painful to disconnect.

DBT85

Back to the thread...this seems the non-est of non issues...the wiiu comes with 2 power bricks (console and game pad) yet it doesn't make me play it any less, or have any less fun..with..the games I'm...not..playing...

lol.

AkIRA_22

Wait.... the PSU is outside the box? There is shit loads of room in the console, WTF is it doing outside?

I'm also very curious how the hell Sony is cooling that thing. Their PSU is internal.

It's called 'engineering'. If they use a good PSU it shouldn't require much in the way of cooling, any amount of air flowing over the components should be enough.

I can't believe MS don't make universal PSU's either, absolutely ridiculous, not only for the end user but manufacturing too.

LAA

I too can't wait for a PS4 tear down, would be awesome if Sony did it officially, but I guess they don't want to give MS ideas too early now ;).

As much as I hate the power bricks, at least they made it look more pretty than just a standard big box. Just the fact you'll have to find more room for the X1 compared to the PS4, and then find MORE room for just the power brick, ha ha.

malfcn

A power brick is a minor annoyance. Once I set up the console and the brick is behind the tv I never see it again.

Bundy

Banned
What does it have to do with "common sense"?
For some people, it is an issue, for some, it isn't!
It's "common sense" if you understand that!
See WiiU gamepad (low battery, size), PS4 lightbar, etc. etc.
I, for example, hate external power-bricks. I hated the X360 power-supply.

jaypah

The power brick (or plugs in general) as so much of a non-issue to me that I have to reel myself in and realize that it could affect some people. I can't really feel them as I've been blessed with several inches of space behind my tv since I was a kid but I do feel bad for those without any place to put it.

Not using ESRAM is a good start!

You can edit posts when you have a new thought. That way you avoid the whole "double post" thing. Doesn't bother me but it is a forum courtesy. Unless it was an accident in which case I'm guilty of it too!

DoctorZ

The external power brick is only an issue for me because I move my consoles frequently (every week usually) between mine and my gf's place. Moving my PS3 slim is much easier as I have plenty of the types of power cables the PS3 uses so I leave one at her place. With the 360 it became a hassle to have to unplug the power brick and bring it with me and its not like I was going to buy another one and have two bricks.

I'm not getting an xboxone at launch so its something I hope they can address in a revision down the line. It would be a big selling point of the inevitable slim model if they were to do it. Although if they keep it out they can throw a bigger "XX% smaller than the original" number.

If I was at one place for the majority of my time I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. It generates heat and if it offloads some of the heat from inside the system out then I'm all for it. I'd throw it behind my TV stand and thats it, I never think about it again.

Robso

Well, as expected, certain livejournal (misterxmedia) individual considers this leak to be a confirmation that the XB1 is hiding extra power which, naturally, MS can't talk about due to the NDA.

Brilliant website to visit for a laugh. He believed at one stage MS might release new consoles this gen every 2-3 years.

Bundy

Banned
The power brick (or plugs in general) as so much of a non-issue to me that I have to reel myself in and realize that it could affect some people. I can't really feel them as I've been blessed with several inches of space behind my tv since I was a kid but I do feel bad for those without any place to put it.

You can edit posts when you have a new thought. That way you avoid the whole "double post" thing. Doesn't bother me but it is a forum courtesy. Unless it was an accident in which case I'm guilty of it too!
I know -> was an accident :-/
I had one tab open for each quote and thought..... they were from two different threads *smh*

I'd like to see evidence of this. All I've ever heard is that most power supplies are more efficient in the mid range, and most of the specs I've seen have confirmed this, I've built multiple desktops around this, but I'm willing to be swayed with actual evidence.

Regardless I think the idea that Microsoft engineers didn't think about efficiency, heat (which is a function of efficiency), and longevity (which is a function of efficiency and heat) is pretty lolworthy. But more info regarding efficiency in PSU's is always good, so if you have some, please post it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

It's almost a standard nowadays, decent PSU are pretty efficient.

Top Bottom