• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Grand Order |OT| That's Hell You're Walking Into

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just googled Fate Grand Order Emyia because I wanted to see what he looks like in the game and it's a huge spoiler lol. I started watching Stay Night a few days ago.

Huh, funny, I thought that was a His Sled thing at this point.

I mean, when I Google Shirou Emiya right now and go to images, it's
GARcher
across the entire screen for me.

Busaiku

I'm a blue whale for Fire Emblem Heroes, so I don't plan on dropping much, if any, here. Don't have too much attachment to the characters from Zero or Unlimited Blade Works, so the main draw would be the characters that I'm not familiar with.
How viable would this be for me? Or should I just not bother? I should note that I've never been fond of Arturia.

Mupod

Oh I didn't know Medea had a GAF account.

9N3PEs7.gif

Man Fire Emblem isn't even trying. It only has 3 Lucinas.

Ala Alba

I think only Heaven's Feel (3 movies) is important, but they're not out yet. First Order is like a big ad to this game, you can watch it if you want, it's not connected with anything and it's sort of mediocre.

.... First Order is an adaptation of the prologue.

jonjonaug

What about the movies and what's First Order? Sorry I'm confused.

Alright, here we go.

Fate/stay night (2006 TV anime) - F/SN has three separate "scenarios" that entirely split off from each other about 5-10% into the story, unlike most VNs that do similar stuff where you need to get 30-50% through or so. This is an adaptation of the "Fate" scenario of the original visual novel, which is the first of three that you unlock. There are also some minor things in here that are only revealed in the "Unlimited Blade Works" and "Heaven's Feel" routes in the visual novel. Usually considered to be "okay". It's not great, but it's a serviceable adaptation of the Fate scenario. It was better when it was all we had.

Unlimited Blade Works (2010 movie) - This is an adaptation of the second route, Unlimited Blade Works". It's one of the worst anime films I've ever seen. The story is condensed so far as to be almost impossible to understand and the animation falls apart after the first major fight against Berserker (which is actually pretty cool).

Unlimited Blade Works (2014 TV anime) - Another adaptation of the "Unlimited Blade Works" route, this time as a two season anime. This one's pretty good, if you're going to watch any adaptation of the original work you should make it this one.

Heaven's Feel (upcoming film trilogy) - An adaptation of the "Heaven's Feel" scenario, which is the third scenario in F/SN. HF is my favorite part of F/SN (the usual debate is "UBW vs HF" for best scenario, with some hardcore Saber lovers going with Fate), so I hope that the studio making it does a good job. The promotional poster looks freaking great.

Fate/Zero (2011 TV anime) - This is an adaptation of a series of novels by Gen Urobuchi (Madoka Magica, Psycho-Pass, Thunderbolt Fantasy, etc). It is a prequel to Fate/stay night. Considered by much of the overseas fanbase (can't speak for the Japanese one) to be the best that Fate has to offer as an anime and often as the best Fate-related work overall.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA (I don't care enough what year(s) this is in to look it up) - A TV anime adaptation of a parody spinoff of F/SN starring Illya where she becomes a magical girl and does magical girl stuff. There's a ton of fanservice in it for lolicons so I've never bothered with it, you probably shouldn't either.

Fate/Prototype (2011 OVA) - A 12 minute special that animates some scenes from the original planned version of Fate/stay night, which underwent extremely heavy revision (it's almost unrecognizable) before becoming what we know today.

Fate/Grand Order: First Order (2016 special) - I haven't watched or paid attention to this one, but to my understanding it's just an adaptation of the opening chapter(s) of Grand Order.

Carnival Phantasm (2011 OVA) - An adaptation of a gag manga featuring characters from Fate/stay night and Tsukihime (one of the company's other major works). It's really funny, but best not to watch if you're unfamiliar with the original works. You should at least watch one of the full adaptations of one of the routes of F/SN before watching this.

Yu Narukami

Alright, here we go.

Fate/stay night (2006 TV anime) - F/SN has three separate "scenarios" that entirely split off from each other about 5-10% into the story, unlike most VNs that do similar stuff where you need to get 30-50% through or so. This is an adaptation of the "Fate" scenario of the original visual novel, which is the first of three that you unlock. There are also some minor things in here that are only revealed in the "Unlimited Blade Works" and "Heaven's Feel" routes in the visual novel. Usually considered to be "okay". It's not great, but it's a serviceable adaptation of the Fate scenario. It was better when it was all we had.

Unlimited Blade Works (2010 movie) - This is an adaptation of the second route, Unlimited Blade Works". It's one of the worst anime films I've ever seen. The story is condensed so far as to be almost impossible to understand and the animation falls apart after the first major fight against Berserker (which is actually pretty cool).

Unlimited Blade Works (2014 TV anime) - Another adaptation of the "Unlimited Blade Works" route, this time as a two season anime. This one's pretty good, if you're going to watch any adaptation of the original work you should make it this one.

Heaven's Feel (upcoming film trilogy) - An adaptation of the "Heaven's Feel" scenario, which is the third scenario in F/SN. HF is my favorite part of F/SN (the usual debate is "UBW vs HF" for best scenario, with some hardcore Saber lovers going with Fate), so I hope that the studio making it does a good job. The promotional poster looks freaking great.

Fate/Zero (2011 TV anime) - This is an adaptation of a series of novels by Gen Urobuchi (Madoka Magica, Psycho-Pass, Thunderbolt Fantasy, etc). It is a prequel to Fate/stay night. Considered by much of the overseas fanbase (can't speak for the Japanese one) to be the best that Fate has to offer as an anime and often as the best Fate-related work overall.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA (I don't care enough what year(s) this is in to look it up) - A TV anime adaptation of a parody spinoff of F/SN starring Illya where she becomes a magical girl and does magical girl stuff. There's a ton of fanservice in it for lolicons so I've never bothered with it, you probably shouldn't either.

Fate/Prototype (2011 OVA) - A 12 minute special that animates some scenes from the original planned version of Fate/stay night, which underwent extremely heavy revision (it's almost unrecognizable) before becoming what we know today.

Fate/Grand Order: First Order (2016 special) - I haven't watched or paid attention to this one, but to my understanding it's just an adaptation of the opening chapter(s) of Grand Order.

Carnival Phantasm (2011 OVA) - An adaptation of a gag manga featuring characters from Fate/stay night and Tsukihime (one of the company's other major works). It's really funny, but best not to watch if you're unfamiliar with the original works. You should at least watch one of the full adaptations of one of the routes of F/SN before watching this.
Thank you. I'm watching Zero after SN and then Unlimited.

I mean, when you consider that Fate/Zero is probably the most "westernized" thing in the franchise relative to stuff like Stay Night which is essentially a trope-laden high-school Harem-anime, who'd think that Zero is the one everyone likes.

Also, shit, it's probably the one anime where it's easier to find the Dub version than the Sub version.

(Speaking of dubs, always so sad that it looks like the games are never getting dubs, considering the series has had a solid Dub cast set in stone for years now when it comes to anime adaptations of the series.)

Kouriozan

Europe release : never

Tried playing a Gacha US game before and having to switch iTunes account everytime there was an update was a big hassle. Oh well just like P&D and Yokai Watch I'll pray everyday until it's ninja released and I won't notice it.

Did play a bit of the Japanese version and it was pretty good from what I could understand.

Prisma Illya is one of those awkward cases where, yes, there is some cringeworthy loli fanservice, but on the flipside the series is generally both genuinely entertaining and at times pretty damn funny. 3rei in particular is the point where the series has pretty much hit its stride and the 'fanservice' is few and far between. Hell, there's way more 'standard' fanservice in there just from Angelica and Tanaka merely existing.

Edit: Also, there's even a one-off crossover with Lyrical Nanoha, with Illya and Miyu teaming up with Nanoha and Fate. Granted, there was also a one-off crossover for mainline Fate with a what-if scenario where Rin summons Nanoha and Fate (yes, both of them) instead of Archer. Hilarity ensues either way.

I mean, when you consider that Fate/Zero is probably the most "westernized" thing in the franchise relative to stuff like Stay Night which is essentially a trope-laden high-school Harem-anime, who'd think that Zero is the one everyone likes.

Uh,that does not describe F/SN particularly well.

Also F/Z only works as a thematic contrast for Kiritsugu's failures to contrast Shirou's successes. It's strictly worse as a stand alone work.

Also F/Z only works as a thematic contrast for Kiritsugu's failures to contrast Shirou's successes. It's strictly worse as a stand alone work.

F/Z works best as a companion to F/SN, really. And the high school stuff in F/SN is really more or less window dressing for the most part, after a point in each route the school stuff basically stops having anything to do with the plot.

It does not launch till tonight? 10pm for me. Oh well I will play it tomorrow then.
This is what I found on Reddit when searching for release time. Not sure how strict those mobile launches work out in the end... But I am sure people around the Internet will let us know when the servers go online.

BaconHat

That actually is one of the more apt description i've read of F/Z link to F/SN. I always find it sad seeing people say that Zero is the only good thing in the fate franchise.

On-topic, if we reinstall to reroll the game, can we still get the additional servants given by the facebook campaign, or are those one-shot gifts?

Sterok

This is Fate, which I care about a little bit, but not so much that I'd spend money on it like in Fire Emblem Heroes. I need a non-SRPG gacha game, so this seems ideal. Not sure if I want to bother with rerolling or not.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This is Fate, which I care about a little bit, but not so much that I'd spend money on it like in Fire Emblem Heroes. I need a non-SRPG gacha game, so this seems ideal. Not sure if I want to bother with rerolling or not.

Might be cheaper to buy an account.

EDIT: Did you guys want a dedicated discord for this btw? I figured not since there are much larger and active discord channels from reddit and wiki.

So is OP the only one who thinks that the story is bad?
Sorry to say this, but sometimes sarcasm isn't the best idea? Should make that clear otherwise some ppl will turn away.
Because that's the only reason I'm interested in the game.

Strimei

So is OP the only one who thinks that the story is bad?
Sorry to say this, but sometimes sarcasm isn't the best idea? Should make that clear otherwise some ppl will turn away.
Because that's the only reason I'm interested in the game.

It was sarcasm, yeah. I've heard good things about the story (though that it does take a bit of time to get in gear).

Ugh....when are the servers going live so I can begin my three-day journey of rerolling?

Also, I can't believe I'm playing two gacha games simultaneously. RIP me

Kieli

Is the game out in Canada yet? The OP says 9PM, but I see it listed as Fate/Grand Order (English) under Aniplex.

Don't wanna accidentally download malware onto my computer. Play store is trash.

Azusa

Ugh....when are the servers going live so I can begin my three-day journey of rerolling?

Also, I can't believe I'm playing two gacha games simultaneously. RIP me

FGO is very easy to play with another gatcha games. At start your stamina will hit the cap fast but later when you rank up enough to increase your max stamina cap you will play mostly 2 times per day. Well on events you may use stamina refills and farm all day but its up to you.

Labrys

Is the game out in Canada yet? The OP says 9PM, but I see it listed as Fate/Grand Order (English) under Aniplex.

Don't wanna accidentally download malware onto my computer. Play store is trash.
The app itself is out but the servers aren't ready/up until 9.

kayos90

Aniplex is the publisher.

FGO is very easy to play with another gatcha games. At start your stamina will hit the cap fast but later when you rank up enough to increase your max stamina cap you will play mostly 2 times per day. Well on events you may use stamina refills and farm all day but its up to you.

Seriously, I think I've got a ridiculous surplus of golden apples (over a hundred, I think) from previous events in the Japanese version. It's kinda crazy how generous the energy refills can be.

T-Rex.

Banned
Don't forget to bind your accounts btw. I think they explain all that stuff in game so I won't go into it, but just make sure to do it lest you lose your waifu account.

Azusa

Seriously, I think I've got a ridiculous surplus of golden apples (over a hundred, I think) from previous events in the Japanese version. It's kinda crazy how generous the energy refills can be.

Same. I will never use them all and they keep giving more.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I still can't nail down what the best units to retool for are.

People seem bell bent on mocking re-rollers instead of throwing out a name or two.

Does retooling not matter much in this one?

MiTYH

Ohhhh boy, rerolled hell is going to my life. And of course I'm busy a lot this week. Anyone from JPN's side, can you speak to how long the initial dl of files are? I know servers are going to be whack so I might just sit on it a day like I did with SAO

jonjonaug

People seem bell bent on mocking re-rollers instead of throwing out a name or two.

Heracles for 4 star (but you can just get him for free as your pick anyway) and Waver or Jeanne for 5 star. But you don't really need either of those.

If I do reroll I'll probably just reroll until I can get either a combination of 2 of the 4 from Heracles, Waver, Jeanne, and Tamamo Cat from the free rolls plus the free pick to give me a good combination of "Servants I like plus useful ones". So until either one of the guaranteed 4 star rolls turn up with Heracles/Tamamo or if I somehow luck out and get a 5 star.

kayos90

This is one of those games where having 5* really doesn't matter all that much. You can get by with 4* and 3* fine.

Mupod

I haven't played myself but I've done a lot of research and the general consensus if you're going the minmaxer kind of route, to try to get Hercules/Waver early on. I mean in Fire Emblem Heroes I definitely don't care about using favorites, I use who is the strongest I can.

But that game doesn't have Tamamo.

sensui-tomo

so where is the chance for the 5 star come into play? the tutorial one (which is 4 star guaranteed ) or just via spending? if its the tut... reroll heaven is gonna happen

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Based on what I read, the game isn't that hard. Just go for the one you like, as you'll be clearing all content anyway.

Quixzlizx

Kind of tempted to forget about min/maxing and go 100% waifu.

Either way, I don't know if I can resist the reroll compulsion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom